“Best time ever!”

Ranked #32 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Los Angeles, California
“Best time ever!”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

first of all, Jamaica is an amazing place in itself. I've traveled to other islands in the Caribbean but this was my first time to Jamaica. A friend from Los Angeles recommended Samsara and my girlfriend and I had an incredible time. The cliffs are beautiful, they have a shuttle to beach which was very convenient and those sunsets are just priceless. Everyone recommended Ricks cafe but we just sat out on our tower house balcony and watched in peace. Thanks to all the staff ONE LOVE

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mattherk123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Polish first
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We have been visiting the Samsara Cliffs Resort since 1995. It has always been amazing. What is they say about location, location, location. You can't beat the Happy Hour Sunset on the cliffs! This was our 10th visit to Samsara's Cliffs Resort and we can hardly stand the wait to return for #11!

From beginning to end (usually 2 weeks) Samsara Cliffs Resort has always more than met our vacation needs. The owners, their family and staff work very hard to make sure everyone has a wonderful stay. The new Ciao Jamaica Restaurant (Italian Jamaican Cuisine) is very special! The variety will keep you coming back often - if not every day!

Even if you are not staying at the resport, you must stop in for lunch or dinner.

Whether you enjoy having a relaxing masage, enjoy snorkeling or swimming in the sea or the beautiful pool, it is all there. The staff is the best! We have known many of the staff since we started coming - they always make you feel welcome and are delightful. We will be coming back, again and again! Ya Mon! Once you go - you know!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jamaicanroadtraveler
london
Reviewed 10 March 2011

My sister, my six year old daughter and i stayed here in December 2010. We used this place as a base because we travelled all over the island to visit friends and family; THANK GOODNESS! If we had had to stay here for the whole two weeks we would have been very disappointed and totally BROKE.

To be fair our room 109 had the most amazing ocean views, was clean and met our basic needs; apart from not having a fridge. We had a small, but adequate bathroom with a strong shower, let the water run for a while if you need it to be hot. Our room was kept clean on a daily basis by lovely, friendly housekeeping staff, including towel and bedding changes. Most staff we encountered were pleasant and accommodating. We opted for bed and breakfast and were so happy because breakfast was the best meal of the day, by far, every day! There was a nice variety including a different porridge every day, steamed cabbage with callaloo, festival, a lovely lady on the egg station cooking eggs to suit your requirements, toast, cereals, fresh fruit, juices with tea and coffee. Portions tended to be small and on one occasion when i refused nicely not to be satisfied with the last of the cabbage, chef made a fresh batch as i waited patiently. I was not disappointed! We were always satisfied up until and often way beyond lunch time. However, we spoke to several guests who were all inclusive and NONE were satisfied. One evening we made enquiries about dinner and were blown away by the cost per person. Highly excessive. We had another experience that left a bitter taste in our mouths, after making enquiries about hiring a fridge for our room, the cost was $1,100 ja dollars per night and we were required to pay in advance which would have been $13,000 odd ja as we had only been there a day. I have stayed in other resorts in Negril and hired fridges for a fraction of this cost and settled my bill on departure which after many years of travelling around the world, thought was the norm, not at Samsara. Everything was about money, we found this quite tasteless and unprofessional.

We took advantage of the free shuttle bus from Samsara to Legends beach the sister hotel where we spent time lounging on the beach. Be aware that the cost there is also way over the top...we paid $800 odd ja for two half glasses of ginger wine which is island produced, we found this pretty excessive as we had purchased a whole bottle for less!!! Needless to say we took our own beverages after that and only went to their bar for cups of ice!! My six year old daughter ordered lunch without my knowledge and was served and charged without any staff member confirming with me that this was alright...a small bowl of chips and two meagre fillets of fish with a few pieces of lettuce cost me over £900 ja AND the staff member on duty would not stop sending messages for me to come and pay!!! Unbelievable considering i had not ordered food and they had not asked for my consent.

Security guard at Legends was Michael, he was very nice and good at his job, very helpful to us guests fetching and carrying loungers as well as keeping vendors at bay so we could enjoy the beach in peace. Unlike the guard named Peter at Samsara who was the most obnoxious little man i have ever had the displeasure of encountering, ever in all my 20 years of travel to Jamaica. Greedy little money grabbing rude and unpleasant fake guy.

The West End of Negril is peaceful, great for diving and snorkelling. The roads are extremely busy and most drivers are taxis trying to make as much money as possible therefore driving like maniacs, do be very very careful. Ricks Cafe' is close to Samsara well worth a visit to watch local divers thrilling onlookers nightly after and during the most spectacular sunset.

Do venture out to eat there are many local places where the food is great and reasonably priced. Sweet spot and Sweet spice are two of my favourite places that i reccomend for authentic Jamaican cuisine.

My advice to fellow travellers is do look for decent accommodation in Negril because there are loads of places on offer. Do know exactly what you are paying for in advance BEFORE you book to stay here at Samsara. Very basic over priced place, with sub-standard food and very little to offer in terms of anything.

I would not go back to Samsara because it was over priced and too far away from everything. Great for a basic no frills quiet break if you have loads of money and dont want to do much.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank FATPUMPUM1
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I stayed at the resort for four nights and had a great time. The service was great, the employees were helpfull and very friendly. The room was cleaned daily, and the beds were very comfortable. The hotel restaraunt (CiaoJamaica) was also very tasty, I ended up eating there three times. Overall, I would highly reccomend staying at the resort.

• Stayed March 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Came to Jamaica with high expectations and Samsara resort completely filled these expectations. The setting could not be better for a good time. The staff is extremely friendly and willing to assist you with any needs. Across the street Ciao Jamaica has great food for very reasonable prices. If you are planning a trip to Negril Samsara is the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Stayed there for five nights and had a very pleasant experience. All of the staff and employees were more than friendly and hospitable. The cliff overlooking the ocean were beautiful with underwater reefs for snorkeling right in front of the hotel. All of the fun places are either within walking distance or a short ride. Definitely recommend. Restaurant across the street is a must

• Stayed March 2011
gatineau, quebec, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Samsara Cliff/Legends Resort
“SHOW ME THE MONEY”
On February 13, 2011 my Sister and I stayed at the Samsara Resort. I myself had been to the Riu Negril on January 8, 2011 for 10 days and loved the resort as well as Negril, which is why I returned so soon. I was very aware that this was not a 5*, however, 50% of the reviews were pretty good or fair on most amenities and the view was exceptional.
Upon our arrival to Samsara, we were greeted with “fill in these forms” name, address and phone#, ???? then asked for a $100 deposit, cash or credit card. We had booked an AI vacation with Sunwing, and all was paid for so there was no need for more money. They insisted and we were tired of our long travel from 5:00 am and it was now 2:00 pm so we gave them cash. I have been travelling for 15 years and never once have encountered this kind of greeting. We were reimbursed the $100 before checking out the night before. We were very hungry and the lunch was leftover fries, pizza, cold and all dried up. Yuk, yuk. Next we encountered that there was no blow dryer in the room….we emailed the resort and asked many questions and it indicated in amenities that there was one…well there is one….1 blow dryer for 50 rooms and when you are done, bring it back ASAP..can you imagine that. Next time we gave $5US for it and we kept it for a few days. Towels and Sheets were not changed…I had to ask for this service and gave another $5 or $10US….everything revolved around $$$$. Food was awful…no salad…always jerk sausage and beans for breakfast and fries and grilled cheese for lunch. And you are served 1/2 a grill cheese...you need to ask them for another...seems like their is portion control here. Dinner was the same…way too much jerk foods and no variety whatsoever. I must add that if you are a diabetic…there are no diet soft drinks whatsoever or splenda for sugar in coffee. You can get diet soft drinks at Legends only.
Lizards crawling on the ceiling and bedroom door, you can see through it, cracks in the middle…that is Room 117. Everything you do or ask for you must give your room #, apparently for inventory.????

Red stripe beer cost you…and if you are at the bar after closing (10:00pm), you pay for a drink….even if you have the all inclusive…again everything was about $$$$$.
Pool was only chlorinated at 10:30pm twice in one week with a 1 jug of javex…and wow, could you smell it.
None of the staff are happy or smile at all…just a very depressing bunch of workers. We went to Legends twice and the food at lunch was a bit better. We ate across the street from Samsara twice for dinner and the food was absolutely divine. Maurice is the owner and also owns Samsara and Legends. Can’t figure out why his restaurant Ciao Jamaican is so good and the staff was so nice and friendly…. he owns all three establishments. Again the food was divine.
Low budget and no theme nights or entertainment at this resort….Not a recommeneded Resort....YOUR Choice.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank gigilev
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
Thank you for your review and for choosing to spend your vacation with us. We appreciate the opportunity you have given us to respond to your comments for the benefit of the readers of this forum, who otherwise may be confused by your account.

Every hotel I’ve ever heard of requires an incidental deposit upon check in to cover charges that are not included in an all-inclusive plan such as telephone calls, spa treatments, etc. This deposit may be a credit card imprint, or in its absence, a cash deposit. Even RIU requires incidental deposits (please check the Riu website to verify this for yourself). In addition, most hotels I’ve ever heard of require that guests complete a guest registration form upon check-in, including Riu. This is standard procedure in the hotel industry. Continuing, we do not advertise blow dryers as room amenities. However we do have a few in our front office, which may be borrowed as you were kind enough to mention.

Sunwing Vacations clearly states on their website that our all-inclusive bar hours are 10 am – 10 pm. I’m not sure what has led you to believe that you should be an exception to this, but it simply wouldn’t have been fair to our other guests.

Our swimming pool is treated after hours with pool chlorine. As most hotels receive their chemicals in bulk drums, it is necessary to measure them out in smaller quantities. As an eco friendly resort, we choose to recycle our empty gallon containers for this purpose, which includes but is not limited to used Javex containers. It is a ‘green’ initiative, and we are sorry it bothered you.

Nobody at our resort has ever had to spend a cent on having their sheets changed, end of story. And yes, there are lizards (mostly small geckos) on tropical islands. I am surprised at your apparent surprise regarding that discovery.

Your claim that everything revolves around money is unfortunate, I hope you have a better experience next time you travel. However, normally speaking one is required to provide money to obtain a room, meals, and beverages a few feet away from the Caribbean Sea, which is exactly what we provide here at SamSara. As you said, you were fully reimbursed for the incidental deposit as well as the deposit you left for the blow-dryer. Therefore I am left to wonder what exactly it is you are writing about.

Thank you again for the opportunity to share useful information on this public forum. We appreciate your business and look forward to hopefully seeing you again.

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels