“Love this place!”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #29 of 85 Hotels in Negril
“Love this place!”
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I've been here with a big group of friends the past two years and we love it! The food is yummy, the drinks are great and the shallow pool with lounge chairs in it is my favorite. Can't wait to come back again next year!

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Fierksisy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 17 March 2011

We planned to stay at Samsara for 1 week, but after 2 days we had enough.
We think we had the worst food at Jamaica, small room, a lot of noice from other guests, and the highest price in the Island at the resaurant Ciao.
But the staff was very nice and tried to do their best.

1 Thank Heiaenga

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

South Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 March 2011

We just settled back into the New England winter after spending a wonderful eight day vacation
at the Samsara Resort in Negril, Jamaica. This was our third year at the Samsara and we seem to
love it more and more every year. This year we had a sea view cottage which was very spacious and quiet.
One welcome surprise was the new Italian restaurant “Ciao Jamaica “ which the Samsara opened last
fall immediately across West End Road from the hotel. They have good food ranging from pizza
to Lobster Diablo and it all tastes great.
The weather this year was almost perfect with a few rain storms coming in after dark to cool the evenings down nicely. On three separate days we took the free shuttle down to Legends, their sister hotel on
Seven Mile Beach. I cant describe the warm feelings you get from the personnel at both Samsara and Legends . Many have been there for years and in some cases I was greeted by name followed by “Welcome Home”. You just can’t get that from the big resorts who go through employees like they go through Rum.
We like going down to the beach to visit with the vendors many of which also remember you from years past and treat you with respect.
The singing troubadours on the beach are getting better each year. It’s a true Caribbean beach experience
when these musicians stop and give you a few good Jamaican songs for a couple of bucks in the hat.
The remainder of the vacation was spent in the solitude of the Samsara, sunbathing on the cliffs and relaxing at the Samsara sunset bar.
The menu at the Samsara had a few subtle changes but was as good as it has always been.
A special thanks to ALL of the staff at Samsara and Legends for making our stay there a memorable
time year after year. Both of these resorts have a certain Jamaican charm you don’t find at other places.
I always tell Linda that if I knew heaven was as pleasurable to me as the Samsara and Negril, I will die a happy man.

Alan B.& Linda R.
Hatfield, MA. US

1 Thank lmr1853
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I had a fantastic time here with my girlfriend. Watching the sunset from our balcony. The reggae band on Sunday night. Jumping off the cliffs into the water. Our towels and sheets were changed regularly and if we needed extra all we had to do was ask. NO CHARGE.
Staff are great. Owayne the bartender, Merlene at the front desk, Pauline. I could name them all, because that's how hospitable and welcoming everyone was.
Some people are what I like to call INEXPERIENCED TRAVELLERS. Any hotel in the world requires a credit card upon arrival, from Vegas to Paris. It's for safety purposes, in case you crash the room like a rockstar or start a tab and then disappear. And yes a $100 deposit is not normal, it's a kind gesture for people who don't want to provide a credit card for some reason; maybe they're fugitives.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LAballer
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 March 2011

first of all, Jamaica is an amazing place in itself. I've traveled to other islands in the Caribbean but this was my first time to Jamaica. A friend from Los Angeles recommended Samsara and my girlfriend and I had an incredible time. The cliffs are beautiful, they have a shuttle to beach which was very convenient and those sunsets are just priceless. Everyone recommended Ricks cafe but we just sat out on our tower house balcony and watched in peace. Thanks to all the staff ONE LOVE

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mattherk123
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We have been visiting the Samsara Cliffs Resort since 1995. It has always been amazing. What is they say about location, location, location. You can't beat the Happy Hour Sunset on the cliffs! This was our 10th visit to Samsara's Cliffs Resort and we can hardly stand the wait to return for #11!

From beginning to end (usually 2 weeks) Samsara Cliffs Resort has always more than met our vacation needs. The owners, their family and staff work very hard to make sure everyone has a wonderful stay. The new Ciao Jamaica Restaurant (Italian Jamaican Cuisine) is very special! The variety will keep you coming back often - if not every day!

Even if you are not staying at the resport, you must stop in for lunch or dinner.

Whether you enjoy having a relaxing masage, enjoy snorkeling or swimming in the sea or the beautiful pool, it is all there. The staff is the best! We have known many of the staff since we started coming - they always make you feel welcome and are delightful. We will be coming back, again and again! Ya Mon! Once you go - you know!

2 Thank jamaicanroadtraveler
london
Reviewed 10 March 2011

My sister, my six year old daughter and i stayed here in December 2010. We used this place as a base because we travelled all over the island to visit friends and family; THANK GOODNESS! If we had had to stay here for the whole two weeks we would have been very disappointed and totally BROKE.

To be fair our room 109 had the most amazing ocean views, was clean and met our basic needs; apart from not having a fridge. We had a small, but adequate bathroom with a strong shower, let the water run for a while if you need it to be hot. Our room was kept clean on a daily basis by lovely, friendly housekeeping staff, including towel and bedding changes. Most staff we encountered were pleasant and accommodating. We opted for bed and breakfast and were so happy because breakfast was the best meal of the day, by far, every day! There was a nice variety including a different porridge every day, steamed cabbage with callaloo, festival, a lovely lady on the egg station cooking eggs to suit your requirements, toast, cereals, fresh fruit, juices with tea and coffee. Portions tended to be small and on one occasion when i refused nicely not to be satisfied with the last of the cabbage, chef made a fresh batch as i waited patiently. I was not disappointed! We were always satisfied up until and often way beyond lunch time. However, we spoke to several guests who were all inclusive and NONE were satisfied. One evening we made enquiries about dinner and were blown away by the cost per person. Highly excessive. We had another experience that left a bitter taste in our mouths, after making enquiries about hiring a fridge for our room, the cost was $1,100 ja dollars per night and we were required to pay in advance which would have been $13,000 odd ja as we had only been there a day. I have stayed in other resorts in Negril and hired fridges for a fraction of this cost and settled my bill on departure which after many years of travelling around the world, thought was the norm, not at Samsara. Everything was about money, we found this quite tasteless and unprofessional.

We took advantage of the free shuttle bus from Samsara to Legends beach the sister hotel where we spent time lounging on the beach. Be aware that the cost there is also way over the top...we paid $800 odd ja for two half glasses of ginger wine which is island produced, we found this pretty excessive as we had purchased a whole bottle for less!!! Needless to say we took our own beverages after that and only went to their bar for cups of ice!! My six year old daughter ordered lunch without my knowledge and was served and charged without any staff member confirming with me that this was alright...a small bowl of chips and two meagre fillets of fish with a few pieces of lettuce cost me over £900 ja AND the staff member on duty would not stop sending messages for me to come and pay!!! Unbelievable considering i had not ordered food and they had not asked for my consent.

Security guard at Legends was Michael, he was very nice and good at his job, very helpful to us guests fetching and carrying loungers as well as keeping vendors at bay so we could enjoy the beach in peace. Unlike the guard named Peter at Samsara who was the most obnoxious little man i have ever had the displeasure of encountering, ever in all my 20 years of travel to Jamaica. Greedy little money grabbing rude and unpleasant fake guy.

The West End of Negril is peaceful, great for diving and snorkelling. The roads are extremely busy and most drivers are taxis trying to make as much money as possible therefore driving like maniacs, do be very very careful. Ricks Cafe' is close to Samsara well worth a visit to watch local divers thrilling onlookers nightly after and during the most spectacular sunset.

Do venture out to eat there are many local places where the food is great and reasonably priced. Sweet spot and Sweet spice are two of my favourite places that i reccomend for authentic Jamaican cuisine.

My advice to fellow travellers is do look for decent accommodation in Negril because there are loads of places on offer. Do know exactly what you are paying for in advance BEFORE you book to stay here at Samsara. Very basic over priced place, with sub-standard food and very little to offer in terms of anything.

I would not go back to Samsara because it was over priced and too far away from everything. Great for a basic no frills quiet break if you have loads of money and dont want to do much.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family