“We enjoyed our stay and it was very peaceful.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Samsara Cliffs Resort

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Calgary
“We enjoyed our stay and it was very peaceful.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

The place grows on you more and more every day. Yes the rooms are nothing fancy, in fact very plain, but it does the job and it is CLEAN! Loved our Veranda! In fact we had booked our last 4 days to be in a pillar house but liked where we were that we cancelled and requested to stay in our Oceanside room. They gave us the difference back in any service they supplied, so we had a couples massage. This place is so peaceful and beautiful, no getting up early to get a lounge chair, no rushing for food, no one harassing you at all! Place is kept extremely well, very clean. Crossing the road can be scary but Peter is there to help you cross at all times. Food is good, however I really wish they had some kind of snacks like nacho's. Went to Legends for a couple hours and to be honest I was happy I was not staying there, didn't like it at all, beach front very very small. Just didn't get a good vibe about place.

We never had any problem with towels. Bring your own beach towels, and a blow drier if you want one. I took a small blanket with me and was happy I did as I used it on my outside couch to lie on. If you have any snacks keep them in a ziplock bag so that you don't attract any bugs. I brought a kettle and insulated cups to make coffee in my room, which seriously was a waste of packing. They had coffee there freshly made before 8am. I also took a inflatable mattress which we never used as they have them there for you to use at their pool. You can get free wifi at the entrance of SamSara, and if it doesn't work just go across street.

You must go to Ricks Cafe' it is amazing and people are CRAZY! The cliff divers are incredible, and the young local boys who jumped in one after the other into the same spot was a sight I am sure I will never see again. Loved loved loved it! If you are looking for a taxi driver call Michael @ 283-0118. He drove us to downtown one day and we decided to hired him for the entire following day. Michael took us to Black River, YS Falls, he took us to a jewellery store that has the best prices. Stopped at Juicy Patties, stopped at a shrimp vendor and had pepper shrimp which are so good that Michael stopped again so I could have more. Michael was very informative, super pleasant and entertained us as well, lol. We left at 9am and got back at 5pm he charged us $100us and then I gave him $20 tip.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Polish first
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

Don't waste your money here. There are so much better places to stay in Negril. The all inclusive package is a joke and I would never recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: obstructed ocean view
Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brice2755

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

My boyfriend and I just got back from a wonderful stay at Samsara. There were so many mixed reviews for this place that I was a little worried, but was very happy with our stay there. We stayed in a pillar house which I highly recommend because it is very private and lovely, and nothing beats relaxing in a hammock on your own private balcony with a drink in hand and nothing in your view but the ocean and sunset.

Under no circumstances however would I recommend doing all inclusive at this resort. Their restaurant is not good. It's not a problem though because there is a fantastic italian restaurant across the street (Ciao Jamaica), two great places for breakfast very close by (Choices and Just Natural), and a great and cheap place or lunch (3 Dives).

Another major perk for this place is that it has a sister property on seven mile beach (Legends) with a free shuttle every morning and afternoon between the two. So you can spend the day at the beach and then get away from the crowds and relax on the cliffs. I loved our time here and would definitely stay again.

...I should say that for the pillar houses the shower is outside. It is perfectly covered and private and they provide a bathrobe. But it was something I was a little surprised about.

Room Tip: T3 or T4 pillar houses are the BEST!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lgill85
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

We went with teenagers and a younger child. The cliffs were a draw that bonded the whole family. The snorkeling around the cliffs was fantastic.

We loved everything about Samsara. The rooms across the street were a delight to walk to- as the garden is so pretty. We enjoyed the food and the rum!

One aspect that made us enjoy Samsara even more was the tranquility. There were no street vendors, performers or anyone else asking or competing for our attention. Just the sea and the sun!

Room Tip: The pillar houses are awesome, so lovely!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

The Hotel room was alright we actually received an upgrade thru a website.When we arrived we had problems with front desk the misunderstandings became annoying.After checking out we had told the management that it misconducted itself with handling our little situations.The manager his name is "Maurice" proceeded to get an" in your face attitude" about the situation in which there was a problem .A very hostile person in which I wouldn't recommend anyone have to deal with this...." you know what".The fact that they closed our tab at 6:30 in the evening the night before checkout is ridiculous as they ran a separate open account of $200.00 on my credit card.I had to open up the tab each time I ordered something which was dumb of them so had to use cash.The staff well half of them were nice half of them couldn't be bothered.The room was alright partial ocean view with decent pool, spa along with rock swimming for snorkeling.It was the management that really had no resolutions towards our complaints in which we had got really frustrated . I was traveling with a friend in which that person felt that the management set a poor example for themselves.Managers of this place are unprofessional in handling any personal issues regarding toward their patrons in the hotel.Go someplace else!!! Negril itself has many other nice places to stay .

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank kraor
NegrilhotelsManager, Front Office Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, 13 April 2011
Thank you for your post. The management and front desk team clearly recall your visit. We appreciate the opportunity to clarify your issues for other readers of this forum. First and foremost, there was no confusion upon arrival with your reservation and you made no request during your stay that required resolution. Once a guest tab is opened, it remains open. You did not have to re-open your tab with each of your three purchases. Furthermore, it is hotel policy for guest tabs to be settled by 9:30 PM the evening before departure. This is stated in writing on our welcome sheet. You aggressively refused to do so, intimidating and frightening our front desk staff until they had no choice but to submit to your public ranting, which we have captured on security camera. They extended your tab until the morning of departure, which we hesitate to do in the event guests have an early departure prior to office hours. In the morning at checkout, for unknown reasons you continued to refuse to settle your bill, shouting indecent language at our staff and to other guests in the lobby, making aggressive movements with your body, nervously pacing back and forth in the lobby, which is also recorded on our security camera. Your unsafe behavior continued to such an extent that several members of the management team had to assemble in the lobby and advise you that your verbal assault and traumatic intimidation of our humble staff would not be tolerated. It is unfortunate that occasionally tourists feel it is acceptable to abuse people in a developing nation, and then post an adulterated version in a public forum. We are grateful for the opportunity to share an accurate account this event. Thank you for your visit.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

I've been to Jamaica over 10 times in all different places on the island from Kingston to Ocho Rios and I've been to Jamaica 2 times since January with my girlfriend. We stayed at Samsara Cliffs Resort in January and we stayed in the Blue Pillar House.

This trip was unbelievable!!! The view from our balcony on the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. The 2nd night we were there I saw the best sunset I've ever seen. It was breathtaking.

The food was only mediocre. If I were to ever stay here again I wouldn't do the All Inclusive option again. I don't drink very much so I probally could have saved money eating and drinking outside the hotel. The staff was great....friendly and definitly lived the island motto..."soon come"

We took a tour with Fabian Tours to Mayfield Falls and this was one of the most fun things I've ever done....We got some amazing pics from that trip. Fabian drove us there, picked us up, negotiated our tour of Mayfield Falls and he made sure we had a Red Stripe and a Patty for the trip back to the hotel. The whole day was spectacular. If you go to Negril...Look for Fabian and Fabian Tours...It was totally worth the money.

All in all this was an amazing trip. Most people want to stay on the Beach in Negril...If you want to have peace and tranquility and the best sunsets in the world.... Stay on the Cliffs....With this hotel you were also connected with Legends Resort on the Beach and all of the All Inclusive things are transferable to both hotels so you get the best of both worlds.

I love Jamaica, and The Cliffs is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank illicit78
Greenwood, Mississippi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

I was prepared for a nice comfortable vacation, so I spent 1200 plus for a "oceanview" room at the Samsara, what I got was not an oceanview it was like a side view of the ocean and the room was a dump. If you have any problems sleeping in a lumpy bed this place is not the right pick for u. I would never stay at this place again. the only good thing was that we had a great housekeeper. but the rest of the staff was not very friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple