“Loved it!”

Ranked #33 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Winnipeg, Canada
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Samsara is a great value. The rooms are adequate, the maids did an excellent job, the grounds were kept clean. The cliffs and ocean view, along with the sunsets was amazing! We did not go all inclusive and only ate there twice, but the food was o.k. The shuttle to Legends everyday was great! Michael, the guard at the beach is the greatest asset Legends has! He always found us a lounge chair, umbrella, and even put our towels away when we went for a walk and there was a rain storm!! There are lots of great restaurants on the cliffs by Samsara-Seastar is one that should be tried! They even had poutine and great drinks! LTU was another good restaurant nearby. Ciaos had delicious pizza and is right across the street from Samsara. You will not find a better deal than Samsara in Negril-I would not go all inclusive as there are so many great restaurants to try and you can get your own alcohol at the store across the street!

Room Tip: Pick an Ocean view room there is air conditioning and you do not have to cross the road.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sharon154954

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
amsterdam
Reviewed 3 March 2012

beautifully located on rocks near the sea, great restaurant, nice bar and good staff too

Room Tip: standard rooms do not have sea view, but in a pretty green garden all other rooms are near or facin...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank lefebo
Mount Prospect, Illinois
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is the fifth year that I have been to what I like to refer to as my second home and it was great as always. There is one thing that I was not happy with and that was the fact that there were no bouys out in the water that would prevent boats from coming to close to the cliffs, on one day that I can remember one of the guests was snorkeling and a jet skier came by and just missed him, they need to replace the bouys to keep all of our friends safe. They have done a great job with the upkeep and new paint and the staff is the best ever of them Melvin being at the top of my list the man is the best can't wait to get back there next January and am trying for 3 weeks this time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank RRMIKE1
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We were in Negril for the first time in Feb 2012 and it will not be the last time. Samsara was the perfect spot to stay with clean rooms and a fantastic sunset every night. We stayed in an Ocean view room on the main floor and had a double balcony/patio. The food at Samsara was far and away better than at thier sister resort Legends and the Cliff side is much more private than being on the beach. No peddlers trying to sell you things while you relax and the snorkling or diving off the cliffs at Samsara was amazing. I tried the spa and it was just average... The only real complain is that our bed was a little hard for my liking.
The staff were overall very good, with a high five to George who got me a piece of Aloe plant for my sunburn. I also witnessed George climbing the trees to get coconuts for other hotel guests.
I agree with the previous comment that I would only recommend this hotel to people who are easy to please, and low key. If you are high maintenance, or are looking for a place with lots to do, and entertainment, this wouldn't be the spot for you.
There are 2 really good bars just down the road and a few great restaurants very close by as well as a couple of grocery/convenience stores for those that do not go all inclusive. These were all locally owned small businesses worth visiting.

Room Tip: request an Ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Michelle B
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We picked this hotel for the price and location. We planned to do daily outings, so it wasn't essential for us to stay at a grand hotel, since we would be out for the majority of the time. It is much quieter at Samsara than the sister hotel, with no one to bother you while you are sun bathing on the cliffs. We all enjoyed the food daily, no problems there. The rooms are average, not spectacular, but acceptable since yo don't spend a whole lot of time inside. We stayed in a ocean view room, on the 2nd floor. The balcony is smaller then the ground level rooms, but we preferred the higher room. It's a great spot to watch the sunset, very beautiful. We walked to Rick's Cafe, took maybe 20 min, $10 cab ride for the way home as it was dark, and not as safe to be walking.
We did go to Legends (the sister hotel) for one afternoon, the shuttle was packed so you needed to be there on time. The beach is beautiful, but busy, lots of locals walking around and selling various items.
The bar closes "early" so we just stocked up a few cocktails to get us threw a few more hours.
We were here in February, very hot, nice weather the whole week.
I would recommend this hotel to people who are easy to please, and low key. If you are high maintenance, or are looking for a place with lots to do, and entertainment, this wouldn't be the spot for you.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank Brooke M
Ellston, Ia
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The value at this place beats anything you are going to find in Negril! I will try and break it down by ammenities to help you with your decision.

Grounds: I see many posts that say the place is run down. I don't get it. I guess my house is completely run down by those standards then. Is it the same as the marble foyers of a 5 star establishment, no. That is not what I want out of a vacation. There was absolutely nothing "Out of Repair" at the Samsara. The Groundskeepers were there every morning keeping the place looking good.

Rooms: We stayed in a pillar house and our friends stayed in a superior oceanview. The Pillar was awesome. We had a porch swing under the deck that had the best sunsets you could imagine. No AC but we never needed it. The shower head kind of shot everywhere but the water was hot. The bed was a little small but if it was any bigger there would be no space in the room. Bedding was kind of old but adequate. I could see knocking the rooms if I paid $500 a night for a room, but my guess is that if you are considering this place you aren't planning on spending $500 a night. I loved laying awake and watching the moon set over the ocean at night and seeing the dolphins in the morning.

Cliffs: Cliff jumping into the crystal blue water was awesome! When you needed a break from all the locals pushing all their "stuff" on you, you could totally seclude yourself in the lounges at the edge of the cliff. Snorkeling was great for Jamaice. Not a lot of large fish because apparently there are no or very relaxed fishing laws in Jamaice because if the locals can catch it, it gets cleaned and cooked or used as bait. I would suggest snorkeling down to Xtabi, get out and grab a drink and snorkel or walk back.

Legends: It was awesome to be able to have a spot on the beach to use when you felt like people watching. We would take the free shuttle over in the morning and never had a problem getting a spot on the beach with a nice cushy chair. Or, take a taxi to the round about for a buck a person if you need money and walk the rest of the way before the bus runs and have your pick of seats.

Location: I don't get the horror stories from everyone about the West End road. We walked from Samsara to Ricks or the other way to the canoe bar every night. Yes there is traffic and there are not sidewalks...just use your head. If you have eyes you can see headlights coming. If there is a tight corner, go single file. If you are blind or drunk and stumbling all over the road, take a taxi...That simple. Everything you could possibly want to do is within a half hour walk or 5 minute cab ride.

AI option: We did it and don't regret it. When we booked through Expedia, it was $35 more per person per night than the room alone. Most places drinks were about $5 US at the least. between Samsara and Legends I would guess we averaged about 15-20 drinks a day. You do the math!! The food was not great by any means, but at that price, you do not feel guilty eating out. We did breakfast every morning, drank all day at legends, got food somewhere around the beach for lunch, went out to 3 dives, push cart or ltu for supper then drank at Samsara until the bar closed. Felt it was totally worth it.

Staff: I have read that they are rude. I would say that you get exactly what you give. I thought they were great. Sometimes you had to be a little patient, but I saw many of the same employees from breakfast until the bar closed almost everyday and on their days off they would be working at another place we went. They are hard workers and if you treat them with respect, they remember you.

Read through the reviews and don't set your expectations to that of a 5 star resort, be realistic considering what you are paying and you will love it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank IABeachBum
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This place is too good to be true. Can’t believe what we paid. Forget getting your moneys worth. We got more than we bargained for. A beautiful spacious room with a balcony. Views of the ocean and incredible sunsets. Staff are nice; very warm Jamaican people. They also have a sister property on the beach and a free shuttle that takes you back and forth between them. Legends is nice but the rooms weren’t our cup of tea. Preferred ambience at Samsara. I noticed a couple bad reviews on this property, and let me say this… You CANNOT get accommodations for this price anywhere else in the world. At least where I’ve travelled.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple