“Beautiful location, peaceful, a slice of heaven.”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #35 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Beautiful location, peaceful, a slice of heaven.”
Reviewed 14 December 2012 via mobile

Gorgeous location! Quiet, pleasant, charming. Jump off the cliffs into a very warm ocean. Nice pool. Cold whirlpool. Beach beds. Massage area. Kind staff. No hagglers inside the resort. Cognitive, involved, proactive owner. The concierge/manager (?), was a very personable young man whom seemed to be a jack of all trades (customer service, karaoke host, crossing guard). Some renovations occurring currently due to the hurricane but that did not hinder our stay. It's really hot on the cliffs compared to the beach. You will want/need air in your room. Bring beach towels and shampoo. I saw a lot of the all inclusive people with insulated cups for their all you can drink piña coladas and other fancy drinks, good idea!! We did not have all inclusive because we like to have experiences outside the resort but did have a few breakfasts and lunches at Samsara which were good. Left my wallet accidentally at the bar area one evening and received a call from the front desk stating they had it safe and sound, credit cards and all!! Sheets clean, room smelled bleachy after afternoon cleaning. 2 for 1 happy hour drinks 4pm-7pm each night. Our experience was wonderful!

• Stayed December 2012
7 Thank catchthetrain

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Samsara (and certainly the rest of Jamaica) felt like coming home, wonderful place, good food, amazing friendly people. They do anything to make your wishes come true. Next year we'll be back to see your new lobby ;-) With love from the Netherlands! Marjorie de Jong

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marjorie d
Inuvik, Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We travelled to Jamaica and stayed at the Samsara and fell in love with everything! We definately looked for a place that wasn't cookiecutter resortlike and more off the beaten path...we found it! Samsara was the perfect getaway for us! My husband and I travelled with our 23 month old daughter and had a great time. The location was superb and the resort was perfect for us. All the staff were super nice and very eager to please. Everyone was super helpful and friendly. We opted out of the all-inclusive and chose room only. We stayed in the cottages on the cliff side and everything was just perfect. 1A was awesome! Big spacious room with 2 queen beds and a little couch and tv. Lots of closet space and furnishings and a verandah with patio chairs and table and even a hammock..but most importantly a gorgeous view of the landscape and cliffs. Samsara is very tolerant about smoking pot! Nobody cares as it should be..but no one was really smoking pot in the public areas which was also very considerate for the guests who do not partake. It seemed that all the guests just smoked in their rooms and on their decks and patios and no one really cared. It was fantastic! With that being said, Samsara is not a party resort by any means. Its a very lowkey casual resort that becomes a ghost town at 10pm when the bar closes. The bar served tasty drinks and cold beers and the restaurant had yummy foods. The menu service was great. We never had a meal we didn't enjoy at Samsara but we didn't eat there often. Ciao Jamaica across the street makes a mean lobster pizza! My husband claims that it is infact the best pizza ever...I'll happily agree and the garlic shrimp calzone is a very close second! There are plenty of great places to eat all within walking distance..we chose to take cabs as the streets are narrow with no sidewalks and we had a little one in tow. Choices, Pablo's, 3 Dives and Ciao were our staples but Canoe, Sweet Spice and Juicy J's were all tasty too! We never used the exchange privileges at Legends on the beach. But its a nice option to have. The resort itself offered enough for us that we didn't feel the need to be on the crowded beach with all the vendors and partiers. We stayed for 9 days and did alot of day trips. The 3 days we had with no itinerary were great! Samsara has 2 great pools, a jacuzzi and many spots to enter the sea! This was a great resort for the cost and we had a great vacation!

Room Tip: The cottages are awesome! We stayed in 1A and loved it! Note that there is no fridge or A/C but I th...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank aminakis
North Santee, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Cindy and I have been there twice, each time stayed in the 'monkey huts', as I fondly call them. Planning to go again next year. The staff were exceedingly helpful and friendly, and made our stays as stress-free as can be imagined. The grounds and buildings are clean, colorful, relaxing. And the views are indescribable.Plan to take a LOT of photos, especially at sunset. I would dive from the cliffs into the crystal clear water every morning before a delicious Jamaican breakfast. The sister resort Legends on the gorgeous white sand beach is equally fun and enjoyable. Excellent all around, and highly recommended. Peace.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Craig S
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My sister and I booked these hotel out of the blue, we found a really good deal for Easter weekend back in April 2011 and we had NO idea what to expect, we simple knew that Jamaica has great food and beaches... and they were ABSOLUTELY right!! This hotel is great!! It's very very small and quite ! When we went there were a lot of solo travelers and older people. Sister and I are in our young 20s but we still had an awesome time. We were looking for a relaxing time and that is exactly what we got. Been to Jamaica a few times now and the people are so welcoming and loving, and that's how they were at our hotel. We did not get all inclusive because we did not want to drink, so we got breakfast lunch and dinner off their menu (not the buffet) and the food was AMAZING. Jerk chicken was delicious !! The rasta pasta was yumm.. breakfast was to die for. I couldn't believe it. Now the only thing is the hotel is on the cliffs, which I absolutely adored, so there is no beach. If you want, you can take the shuttle bus to their sister property, Sandals, and go to the beach there. The beach is amazing, however a lot of people bothering you to buy weed, and jewelry so we preferred it at Samsara.

We didn't expect our room to be so nice!! We just booked a regular room and it was awesome! It's only two floors and we got the second floor at the end and the view was amazing!! I'll post some pictures so you can see. The bed was nice and big, king size, very comfy! Just WOW. So impressed.

We ended up meeting the owner and he was so nice!! Throughout our entire stay just always talking to us when he saw us, I was just so taken away. The pool is very small, but no one used it so my sister and I had it to ourselves. We did not check out the spa but we heard good things.

They have a restaurant right across the street, YOU MUST GO!! Amazing food, was soo good. Not too expensive or anything. They have a nice little lounge downstairs you can just sit and have drinks and they have free wifi so my sister and I would go to check our e-mails and chat with the workers and watch T.V. This hotel is a must visit !!

If you are looking for a nice quite getaway and for an amazing price this hotel is PERFECT!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor (top floor) so that you can see the beautiful view! If you are on the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank KimBalaya897
Hatfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 December 2012

For 2012 we decided to return to the Samsara for our fourth year. There's something about this place that just keeps us coming back. The weather was great, the Samsara food is very good and the accomodations at the resort are all that I need. Linda likes a sandy beach and I love the cliffs of Negril so being able to shuttle between Samsara and Legends is perfect. What can be better than a day on 7-mile beach followed by the spectacular sunset viewed from the cliffs. I enjoy myself so much at the Samsara people have referred to me as the white rasta.
When you take ground transportation from the airport to Negril you get to see a bit of the big resorts that are all marble, glass and mirrors it reminds me of the coast of Miami. Samsara is Jamaica.
We have just finished booking our fifth year at the Samsara for Feb 2013.
Alan & Linda

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Alan B
Kentucky
Reviewed 2 December 2012

stayed there the last week of November. Have stayed there many times before. We have traveled a lot, to many different countries. Have stayed in several different places in Jamiaca. This is the one we keep coming back to. Love the ability to go to Legends for the day or a meal. Not a family place. The staff is great. Left my Ipod there last year and the staff found it and sent it to me. Not a 5 star, or even a 4 star. Although, clean, comfortable and safe. The cliffs are peaceful and beautiful. Great value. The food is good, although not great. Lots of great places to eat nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends