“Practical, budget-friendly, no frills, relaxed vacation spot”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #30 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here for five days in December, and enjoyed our stay.

If you are looking for pampered luxury, this is not the place.
If you are looking for a no-nonsense relaxing escape, this will probably be the place.

Accommodations were satisfactory. We tried to get a Pillar room, but none were available. We got one Full/Queen, and a Twin, so our room could have accommodated three people. The room was clean. The bathroom had a recent renovation, but due to the humidity, the newly installed cabinetry had a strong mold/mildew odor. We never used the medicine cabinet, nor the cabinet underneath the sink, so we did not view this as a problem. (If you like to leave the doors open to stare at plumbing, I guess the odor would be a problem.) Also, there are lots of ants, but if you don’t have food or drinks lying around, you’ll be fine.

On our first night, they provided “Turn Down Service”: one of the housekeeping staff came to remove the cover on top of the bed, and spread out a blanket that was stored in the closet. She then left with the top cover. We’ve never experienced this before at a resort, so it was just weird to me. (Side note: My old auntie did this when I visited her, but it was to protect the bed and also make the bed “look so much prettier!! I got it so cheap at the store and it’s 100% cotton!!”)

For amenities, this place was lacking. A/C is extra, and the price depends on when and how you get it. We got it online as part of our package deal, so the cost was negligible. Someone mentioned that it was going to cost them $20/night when they were checking-in, so they declined. There is a ceiling fan with five settings to provide air circulation. We spoke with another couple who had opted to not have A/C, and they had a table fan in addition to the ceiling fan.

The only type of toiletry provided is a tiny bar of soap, but they provided multiples. We didn’t use them though, so we can’t say whether it’s decent or not. I’ll advise you to bring your own. We have included a photo of the soaps and where to find it in the bathroom. While you're at it, bring your own towel. I had used a towel to wipe up a spill, so I left it out to be laundered. Housekeeping returned that night with a clean towel, except it was the same towel with the stain in the exact same place...just folded up real nice. Ewww. Good thing we always bring our own towels.

There is a dive shop on the premise, so it is super convenient for dive enthusiasts. We only went snorkeling, so we never went into the shop. We’ll also advise you to bring your own snorkeling gear, but if you don’t, you can buy some cheapo ones from their store. I don’t know how much they cost, since we brought our own gear. Plenty of fish, and marine life to see. We've provided a few underwater pics, so you can see how clear the water was for us when we went snorkeling. Go out around 6am-7:30am for best views. After that, most of the fish will hide due to the boats. There are several ladders into the ocean, so you can actually swim and explore without worrying that you’ve swum too far.

We assume that the lack of lounge chairs were attributable to it being a low season, and the chairs were being stored or cleaned. We didn’t mind much though, since we weren't there to lounge at Samsara. Our primary reasons for selecting it was the pristine snorkeling and cliff jumping opportunities. On the day we wanted to lounge on a beach, we took the shuttle to the sister resort of Legends. The shuttle only operates twice a day. 10am to take you to Legends, and 4pm to take you back to Samsara. Plan accordingly or you’ll have to take a taxi. We recommend spending time at Legends, since you can also walk around on the newly paved sidewalks, or shop across the way at Times Square.

The all-inclusive plan provides you with a served food buffet and all local drinks. There was a small live reggae band playing one night. Food is available as follows: Breakfast 8-10AM, Lunch 12-2PM, Dinner 7-9PM. Outside of these times, you pay for your own food. So, if you’re out on an excursion from 7AM-2PM, you pay for your meals when you get back, or wait for dinner at 7PM, regardless if you opted for all-inclusive. The food is decent and we didn’t get sick from eating/drinking anything, so we were happy with that. Prices are ok. (I do not recommend the grilled lobster. It was overcooked, and took 30 minutes to arrive. But, I’m pretty sure it took that long because they went out to a lobster trap to make sure I got a really fresh lobster.)

A non-alcoholic strawberry daiquiri costs USD $4. A cocktail cost about $8. Happy Hour varies: when we were there it was from 5-7pm and it’s BOGO Free. If you’re not adventurous and eat/drink quite a lot, go on the all-inclusive. For us, if we come back, we would get a bottle of Jack Daniels (USD $17) when we leave the Montego Bay airport, buy a bottle of soda from the store, and not be on the all-inclusive. There are plenty of places to eat nearby. And there’s a place that teaches you how to cook, whilst also feeding you. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to take advantage of the cooking school, since we found out about it the evening before our departure.

Overall, this place is really more like staying at Uncle Bachelor’s house by the sea. Grandma and Grandpa is cooking the food and fixing the A/C unit when it breaks. Calling it a resort is a real stretch. Tiles were missing from the pool, but it was filled with grout, indicating that they still maintained it. Everyone was extremely friendly, and because of the layout, Samsara is relatively private, so you will not be harassed by street/beach hawkers. It really is the practical, budget-friendly, no frills, relaxed vacation spot.

6  Thank Massholymoly

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Overall I would say our stay was great and got what we expected for what we paid. I just wanted clean, comfortable and safe and we got that and more. Keep in mind that I have been traveling to the Negril area since early 1990 and have both stayed and eaten at many locations along the beach so I do have a lot to compare to. This was my first stay in the cliff area.

The staff were very pleasant and willing to please. Along with the serving staff in the restaurant on the cliff side (not CIAO). Everyone took time to chat.

If you are a "new comer" don't be afraid to chat. Check with the front desk as to the cab rates and even if the call you a cab make sure you negotiate your rate with the driver 1st.

We did fine because we were familiar with Negril and know how to get around.

I am very glad that they did have the daily shuttle to the beach as I do like swimming at the beach more so then off the cliffs. Don't get me wrong, swimming/snorkelling off the cliffs was fun too just that I have a bad hip and it was harder for me to get in and out of the water. Also as I am an ok but not great swimmer I didn't stay in the water long when it got wavier in the afternoons. We saw dolphins for the 1st time in Jamaica. I never saw this from the beach before. We use to like the nightlife along the beach for dining and entertainment but thru the years its been personally getting too noisy for us and we were not getting good sleeps at resorts along the beach because of this. I did like the peacefulness of the cliffs and other guests seemed to respect that too.

Rooms, I have to admit the bed was probably the most comfortable that I slept on in Negril and keep in mind I do have bad hips. No pain at all and woke up feeling spry - really I'm not that old its just my hips that feel older…They have screens on their windows, not that it was needed but thats a first for me in the Caribbean! We took a basic room with a fan as a I usually do not like air and they are correct when they tell you there is no coffee makers, microwaves or fridges. You can get a fridge but it is extra, similar to the other hotels. I thought it was strange that you had to pay extra for air as we could have used it the night that the low was 26 degrees but hey really its a good way to save $ and I figure the more I can save the more I can travel! The plumbing did need to be repaired as our shower leaked significantly. A removable shower head would be nice since there is no bath.

We did pay extra for a room upgrade in advance and were very disappointed with the 1st room we were given. We were so disappointed we were ready to ask our tour company to move us to a different hotel or just to call our friends and see if we could stay with them. I am glad we waiting to see what the hotel staff would do for us.

The first room that they did put us in was a little scary. It was clean but it seemed dark and dingy, the windows were large enough but not much daylight got in and the windows would not lock, really anyone could enter if they wished. Also the door was strange, actually 2 doors, wooden like a garden door. They really did not seem to lock well and did not leave me feeling safe. Hey but it is a real simple fix like they do on barn doors - use a 2x4 and drop it across the frame or really how hard is it to install a proper door with better locks. I mentioned my concerns to the front desk. They could not do much on our first night but by the 2nd we moved to a quite nice room. I was able to relax and sleep well and I had daylight!!!

We were told there was security, not that there were problems at the hotel but they were well hidden as we never saw security but on that note there were some playful guests that were taking it beyond 11pm and when I called it took maybe 5 minutes and they settled so I guess that was security.

The hotel restaurant was fantastic and I am comparing it to FABULOUS places like Coco la Palm, Idle Awhile, Charella for example. Some days I needed low-sodium cooking and the kitchen accommodated my requests. They use wonderful herbs in their dishes that all food tasted wonderful even when I asked that they hold the salt! We did not go all inclusive as I do have my favourite places to dine but the buffet did not look all that bad most nights. Hey but you can order off the menu and their menu is great.

Souvenirs, towels, coffee, toiletries, booze all can be found right across Legends @ Time Square for a very reasonable price - just remember to go the Sunnyside and ask for Adrian (no need to haggle with his prices, he's honest and very reasonable). The other stores are pricy and you will see from one store to the next they pretty well carry the same thing, just the prices are different - remember to haggle with them! Sunnyside's prices are even better then Canada on sunscreen and that sort of thing! Remember you have a free shuttle to Legends!

Overall it was a wonderful vacation and we would happily return to this location, that is if they would have us back.

Room Tip: Pay extra and upgrade!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ilove2Swim
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Trip to Jamaica Dec 26/13 to Jan 2/14

Stayed at SAM SARA up on the cliffs. We had a superior room with A/C, ocean side, ground floor overlooking the hot tub. Pretty. Terrific view. Good snorkelling – bring your own gear. No peddlers. QUIET, maybe too quiet. Food ok, but don’t buy the all inclusive - the “buffet” consists of 5 choices. Facility is overall run down. Tiles missing in the pools, hot tub; lounges are OLD. Blowups in the pool are free to use. Bring your own beach towels and facecloths, otherwise you’ll pay $19 U.S. for a beach towel. Ask for or bring an old towel to use as floor mat in case of rain...you’ll want to wipe your feet (it rains everyday around 4pm). Bring your own hairdryer, soap and shampoo (they supply tiny soaps only) and a small flashlight...you’ll need it as lighting is dim or non-existent at night. They DO supply toilet paper, LOL. Beds are firm – we slept very well. Bring your own snacks to this resort – they don’t have anything available to buy (think gummys, chips, popcorn, licorice, nuts – you’ll be glad you did). Easy to get a cabana bed...just show up before the 10:15 bus from sister club Legends. Avoid Sam Sara for breakfast, lunch – over priced and very limited buffet offerings - can order from menu but wait is too long (even when it’s quiet). Have dinner there once, then go elsewhere, anywhere. Avoid their pizza, crust sucks. Do have dinner there on the night they do Jamaican buffet – that is a good way to try the jerk chicken, callalloo and it was good. Don’t pay for wifi in your room ($24 for one day or $36 for the week) – it’s free to use by the bar.
Best breakfast was across the street to the left of the hotel at PRESSA ONE LOVE restaurant – Pressa makes a terrific Jamaican breakfast – I LOVED the sautéed callaloo/saltfish, my husband preferred the ackee/saltfish. LOVED his fried dumplings!!! LOVED the coco bread! Depending on what he has on hand, Pressa could give you toast instead of coco bread, but coco bread is divine. Also, Pressa gives you a small plate of tropical fruit after your breakfast and Blue Mountain coffee is served with condensed milk (instant sweetener!). Make sure you go just after 9am – a tableful of cab drivers arrive for breakfast by 9:30 and all orders are suspended until these working locals are served, even if you were there ahead of them :(.
We also went to PABLO'S, across the street (on the left side of the convenience store). Went for the Jamaican breakfast, but it was not as enjoyable as Pressa’s...Pablo’s breakfast is a bland exercise in starches: yams, sweet potato, plantain and boiled dumpling, all served with the callaloo/saltfish and no fresh fruit. We did not enjoy it at all and didn’t go back. However, we were pleasantly surprised by CIAO JAMAICA Italian Restaurant across the road! Excellent jerk pizza! Excellent al dente jerk pastas and sauces! AMAZING homemade key lime pie (I am not a fan of key lime, but this is VERY good – we went back 3 times for the pie LOL). Went to CHICKEN LAVISH to try their self-proclaimed “world famous” conch soup – this had to be the most disappointing meal of the trip. My soup had 3 tiny pieces of conch in it and was nothing special at all... hubby had a few more larger pieces... we would not go back. Take a cab – a scary walk at night, NO sidewalks and drivers race by 24-7....Celebrated New Year’s with dinner at CHARELA – seafood crepe (ok); snapper with coconut sauce (yaaawn) but the wines were divine, the company great and the disco DJ made for lots of dancing by everyone – Happy New Year!!

Be sure to go to RICK'S CAFE, a 5 minute cab ride from Sam Sara – our friends rented a cabana for $75 with bottle service – DO THIS!! Was quiet when we arrived around 1 pm but at 3pm all the party boats start to arrive with guests that want to jump off the cliffs and the bar is suddenly packed – you will be grateful to be in your private cabana! Our friends ordered a bottle of vodka, a bottle of cranberry, a bottle of orange juice and a bucket of ice...you’re all set. If the new American owners aren’t in town, you can rent their cabana overlooking the jumpers – do this!! And if you’re brave enough, JUMP from the 35 ft cliff! Smaller cliffs available too. Our foodie son had Rick’s jerk hamburger, said it was juicy and AWESOME. Locals say that Dennis Brown is better than Bob Marley – have a listen, buy a CD.... If you’re a fan of GREAT WEST for their jerk chicken, you’ll be disappointed – they’ve gotten caught up in their reputation for great jerk and are now slapping the chicken on the fire with a mere dip in jerk sauce – doesn’t seem to be marinated anymore – and the recipe has been changed!! WHY?! The sauce is not the same, the resulting chicken is not the same...the girl says it IS the same but calling a snake a rose just doesn’t make it so. Another customer leaned over conspirationally to say he’s been coming to Great West for 10 years and it was definitely different, as of last year’s trip...hmmmph! At least the Red Stripe was cold, mon! And the coco bread WAS divine! Then we scootched across the street to MARGARITAVILLE to gain public access to the beach...ended up in a line of people entering from a busload and were banded and given free rum punches...ya mon! Walked next door to CRYSTAL WATERS resort to catch up with friends – this is a terrific, small, cottage style resort that comes with a maid/cook to prepare your meals...how awesome is that? Onto 7 Mile Beach where we were greeted with open arms by the many vendors selling their varied and nefarious wares...you won’t get this at Sam Sara resort! But a little goes a long way, you get tired of the relentless badgering – a polite “No Mon” or “I’m good Mon” or “Respect, Mon” will go a long way (or at least free you up for the next vendor LOL). Cheapest beer on the beach is at COUNTRY COUNTRY, a few buildings down from Crystal Waters. Most expensive drinks are at Margaritaville ... Best jerk chicken, hands down, bar none, was back up on the cliffs at 3 DIVES... OMG – THIS was the jerk chicken we had been searching for! Freakin’ hot, the chicken was lovingly marinated and had heat through and through...they provided a bottle of jerk sauce to splash your chicken with if you wanted more heat...DELICIOUS! SPICY! MOIST!! This is why we came to Jamaica! And the view was spectacular as well – if you love serious jerk, you can’t go wrong with a visit to 3 Dives.... Can’t forget to tell you about LEGENDS, the sister resort to Sam Sara – you have the option to take the free shuttle at 10am down to Legends (returns at 4pm or take a cab back). Legends beach is the size of a postage stamp and sunworshippers are packed like sardines on lounges if you can find one...but hey, you’re in Jamaica, mon! Tried to get a Pina Colada at the bar, but apparently they only have one blender and it was being used in the kitchen over lunch...mon, spring for a second blender!! Our afternoon was only spoiled by a crazy local, who picked our beachfront to rant and rave – kept dragging on a spiff he kept in his pocket, and chomping on brownies. The poor resort security guard finally had to call police...but our haranguer disappeared, only to reappear after the police left and continue his rant...we went for a walk to get away. Were happy to get up to the peace and quiet of Sam Sara.

Our final evening - had dinner at THE SPA RETREAT, a boutique hotel recently opened by Canadians – they will pick you up or else take a cab over - it’s 45 seconds by cab from Sam Sara (we would never walk at night – no sidewalks remember – just not a good idea). Beautiful place, beautiful people...our meal was completely average and our company’s pasta dishes had to be sent back (wrong sauce) only to arrive back underdone (we’re not talking al dente); I had a trio of Jamaican favs – oxtail (very good), jerk chicken (boneless chicken in a sauce...dryyyy) and something else that slips my mind (but doesn’t stand out) and lots of callaloo (so-so). Wine was delicious, company was great, and they didn’t charge for the pasta disasters so that was decent of them. I would try it again, we think they just had an off night. Dress up. I’d like to try their resort spa sometime – they even recreated a beach on a section of cliff! Very smart.

So that’s it, our trip to Jamaica. FINAL ADVICE – please tip your maid. She is about the only one that genuinely smiled at us at Sam Sara – well except for Peter, the concierge...tip him too! He works hard to keep you safe crossing that road. And if you are able to take advantage of it, for GOSH SAKES, pay the extra fee for CLUB MOBAY at the airport! All inclusive drinks and snacks, and a comfortable place to wait while waiting for your flight...really comes in handy if your flight is delayed, too! Finally, a shout out to GRANVILLE BROWN, our cabbie from SWEET JAMAICA TOURS – he picked us up and got us everywhere safely and on time; was polite, courteous and knowledgeable. Beautiful, clean vehicle, professional driver, will definitely book him again. Look, I even have his number for you to reserve: toll free 1.855.872.2135, his cell is: 876.860.2135 or reservations@sweetjamaicatours.com. And I have CIAO JAMAICA's card too: oops, they didn’t put an address or number on it? Oh well, you know where to find it...in Jamaica mon!!

Room Tip: Superior ocean view room includes A/C
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank Galina7777
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This place was fantastic! Wonderful location, great food, beautiful view, extremely friendly and helpful staff...we couldnt have asked for a better honeymoon. Although i do advise staying in or close to the resort at all times. Theres really no need to leave, unless youd like to go to 7 mile beach. You have everything at the resort tho. Great snorkeling too! You can even buy your own bottle of rum and take a seat at the bar (which i advise if youre not under the all inclusive stay). Theres a staff member named solomon who will actually go to the palm trees and knock down coconuts and cut them open for you to drink! Very cool place.The only downfall to this stay was the rooms. The beds were very hard, everything was tile so it was very slippery, and you do have to pay 15$ a night if youd like you air conditioner on. We were only in our rooms for sleep tho so it wasnt to big of a problem.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view. Its well worth it!
1  Thank Ms_Meow2014
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We just returned from a family trip to Negril. We had seven adults in our party and had the garden rooms off the main road. The resort owners clearly are not keeping the resort in repair. The rooms were dirty, paint peeling, hard, cheap mattresses and a telling sign, bars on the windows. Now, we know why they have 24/7 security patrolling the grounds, especially at night. We were woken up early morning, at 4 am by roosters and barking dogs next door.

Staff tried their best, but its clear that they are not treated well by their owners. They have to deal, day in and day out with complaining customers who felt that they had been had. When you looked at most guests, especially at the bar, they were not happy or smiling. We know why.

Guest are given two small towels only. Beach towels you have to buy at their gift shop. They had broken down, dirty beach chairs and not enough for guests. What a dump.

We did not have the all-inclusive for meals, and happy we didn't. The food quality and preparation was terrible. If you don't have any other option or can't afford something better, then maybe this place is good enough. We left two days early and checked in to the Sunset in Montego Bay, which
was a god send. We couldn't take it anymore!1

Room Tip: There isn't any
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank Carol M
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Our room was across a very busy street. The crossing guard was helpful. It is dangerous to walk along the narrow and busy roads... We did during the day, but cars fly by very close. Views on cliff side were amazing! Fun jumping into water. Hot tub was dirty. Most staff were friendly/helpful, but didn't get any info upon checking in about hotel amenities/locations... We didn't do all inclusive. We ate at a little local place across the street called Pablo's multiple times. There is also a little convenient store across the street to buy drinks and snacks at.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aprillynn008
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The setting is beautiful and with lots of Flora including palm and coconut trees. Melvin the gardener was very friendly and knowledgeable and will pick you a fresh coconut (tip). The pools and the cliff setting were very relaxing alternating between sunbathing and jumping in the ocean or pools to cool off and there was lots of space for people to spread and have comfort zones. Fridge in room is $12.00/ day extra and make sure AC is included in room charge. No coffee or microwaves in rooms. We did not go all inclusive as we are not buffet fans and we are happy we didn't as there are many wonderful places to eat. Drinks are free pour and the rum punch is dangerous. Samsara has a separate restaurant called Ciao across the street and has very good food. The food at Samsara and Legends is average. We also liked Xtabi ( food, caves and snorkeling), Push Cart, 3 Dives (jerk chicken), Catcha Falling Star (very nice), Kuyaba, Ahbees (best hamburgers in Negril) plus a few jerk stands on the road. Many restaurants don't look very nice but try them anyway the food is good. Legends has a beautiful beach, but crowded, go next door to Kuyaba to eat and their beach is almost empty. Many resorts allow tourists to use their facility if you are buying food or drinks. Lot's more restaurants near Legends that were recommended but we didn't try.

Room Tip: Our room was ocean view however most of the ocean view rooms are mostly blocked by the trees. If you...
2  Thank BrimEdm