“Our Home away”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #31 of 85 Hotels in Negril
“Our Home away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

After 3 visits to Jamaica and having stayed at Samsara for all 3. All we can say is that it is our home away from home. We are not looking for a 5 star and if you are, go somewhere else. We like that its clean, staff is friendly ( love you guys, Hey Melvin, Patricia & Sloaney to name only a few of the hard working staff ), felt secure, its quiet, relaxing, excellent view of the sunset, fun and did i mention if your into the vacation thing its RELAXING.
The cliffs are so cool, we jumped and dove for the first time this year and will definitely bring snorkel gear next year. Some people say the pool is small - well its bigger then the one we have at home, it cools you off and again its fun. As for towels - go buy one...enough said.
Food - haven't eaten here, we like to travel the town and eat what we want when we want, we do understand why people do the all inclusive, whatever works for ya.. If you check on TripAdvisor there are 128 restaurants to choose from in Negril ( Pablo's for breakfast is a must, Caio Jamaica is pricey but excellent, Ahhh bees for the best burgers anywhere, Niahs patties again excellent, 3 dives for jerk chicken is very good )
As for the beds, well its a hotel, have slept in worse, your never going to get the feel of your own bed. Besides if you spent the day the way you should, then falling asleep isn't an issue.
Yes we agree Samsara is a little dated, but I wonder does everyone not have that reno at home they'd like to do? From what we've seen they are improving things all the time.
Rooms ( have stayed in 3 different ones ) what can i say its a hotel room, didn't spend much time in it. It was clean. shower was huge and lots of hot-water, tv turned on and off - works for me. We have to have air conditioning ( we needed that retreat once in awhile ) hey its -20 at home, not used to the sun.
air conditioner broke down one time and they fixed it right away.
Bottom-line - Love it here and recommend it to everyone we know.
Will we be back? Bet on it!

Room Tip: superior rooms all come with A/C.
9 Thank Pat Therese R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I went back and forth between giving the Samsara a 2 or 3, because I really think it is a 2.5. I will first talk about the positive. The grounds are beautiful, the cliffs are very peaceful. It is also great to have access to the beach through Legends. My husband and I split of our time between the two properties. Food and drinks were fine. Nothing amazing, we did all inclusive and I think it is worth it. If you are picky you might have a hard time, some days the food was better than the others. The staff was great! Owayne at the bar was excellent and friendly. The front desk was another story, not very helpful at all. I asked if they could call my transfer to the airport to confirm and they said no because they can't make outgoing calls, which cannot be true. Thanks a lot. I had to use the phone in my room, which I was charged for. Very petty. Also, we missed two nights of our trip due to weather back home. I understand it's not the hotels fault and I didn't expect a refund (which they wouldn't give anyway) but I thought maybe they would offer us something, like dinner at Ciao or a room upgrade...but nothing. They already had my money and in the end they made out. Didn't have to clean the room for two days and we didn't use the all inclusive for two days. I wasn't asking for much, but if they had good customer service they would have done something. I couldn't even talk to the owner, who was less than helpful anyway. The hotel is in a DESPERATE need of an upgrade. The rooms were so old and just not very appealing. We arrived at night and were actually kind of frightened at how they appeared. They were very clean, but they need a complete remodel. There was so much potential at this place, but I don't see it ever reaching it. It is pretty clear that they don't seem to care about the appearance. I love Jamaica, this was my second time. I would like to return, but not to the Samsara. I don't agree with how the place is run. They don't take care of their customers. Just didn't leave with a great taste in my mouth.

11 Thank Traveler63012

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

This place is truly extraordinary. Every time I come they've made improvements. The bar looks great. New paint. New stools. Same great bartenders. Owayne and Sherona. Did half our stay all inclusive, the other half room only, so we could try some of the local spots. Hotel food was good. We slept very well. New pillows, again with the improvements. Beautiful views as always. Check out there FB page, lots of great pics. All in all what keeps me and my girl coming back is how well maintained this place is. I've been coming to Negril a long time and many of the hotels/places I used to go see friends at are really run down now, but Samsara has always stayed up to date while still keeping that classic Negril vibe we all fell in love with. Sometimes when I read bad reviews about this place, I've got to wonder, what's wrong with some people.. One love mon be easy

• Stayed February 2014
9 Thank LAballer
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed here last memorial day for the long weekend. The cliffs looked great and the staff was friendly when we checked in, but thats about where the positives ended.

The all inclusive option is kind of a joke in terms of food, as they serve you the exact same thing each day. There are very few options and can be very long lines at breakfast, as only one person is serving food.

We stayed in one of the tree house type rooms which look really cool but are not that great in practice. There's no AC in those rooms which we new in advance and were ok with. What's not ok is that there are no screens on the windows and therefore you cannot have any air circulation, without getting eatin alive by mosquitos.

The hotel advertises a shuttle to there sister resort on the beach. It is important to note that it only makes one trip a day and if you don't want to spend the entire day there you will need to take a $5-10 cab ride back. We opted to do this as there were stray cats all around that property.

I'd recommend just going to Rick's for a day if your interested in the Cliffs and stay elsewhere. This resort is in major need of upgrades.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve L
Santa Cruz, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

If you are looking for a Jamaican experience I would not ever recommend this resort. If you want Cliffs go to Rick's Café or Push Cart. The bed is not comfortable, the tub faucet in the shower fell off, the tax you pay on your cc you are also going to pay in person. The staff is not friendly and the small over priced drinks are ridiculous. We stayed here for one week and I will never go back. I did not appreciate the lack of information you get upon check in which when we showed up the front desk was locked and the security guard let us in to our room (he wasn't sure if it was for us or not when he took us to it.) Taxi's from this resort are a joke. You may not know but only certain taxi cab's are safe to enter into. The Taxi's with the red license plate are the legit taxi's. The taxi you get from the resort (not the bus) are not regulated and being a tourist I would advise against it. (We only found this out from the other resort we stayed at and they were truly amazing) This resort wants to appear like a high end resort but they aren't. If you want a beautiful experience look for something along the beach or somewhere other then this crap hole. Jamaica is beautiful, the people are so friendly at this hotel its the complete opposite!

Room Tip: Rondel Village is the best! I highly recommend staying there!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Gordon S
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were not looking for a fancy place. A nice, clean room near the water is all we ask for and decent breakfast and lunch. Our room was very clean and it was right near the water- excellent.

The towel situation was a bit off putting- one of our towels had a rather large hole- and they would wash the same towels and return them to our room each day. Sometime I felt I was making plans around when my dry towel would arrive.

The food was less than great. And maybe I'm really American, but I'd love to have a serve yourself coffee bar so I don't need to wait and get a proper coffee cup and saucer. But bar service was great and the people were very helpful.

3 Thank aszekely
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and I were guests in January @ Samsara and recovered from our big city, high wire non-stop life with massages, sunning, swimming, eating delicious food and having fun-filled evenings @ the bar! When we weren't do that, we caught up on our reading and emails - whew! When we didn't eat @ the hotel, we crossed the road to "Ciao Jamaica" restaurant and were totally satisfied with mouth-watering delights and friendly service. We met so many interesting people from all over the world and decided to return next year for more R & R!!!

Room Tip: The 'tree houses' are very private and are located right at the sea - with soothing sounds l...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple