“Returning in July!”

Ranked #33 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Ottawa, Canada
“Returning in July!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We visited Negril at the end of February for 10 glorious days! We were 3 couples who had the pleasure of staying at this small resort. I have stayed at quite a few larger resorts, but the Samsara was exactly what we were hoping for! It was small, and personable and the location was great. The staff was very attentive.

We were greated by Patricia at the front desk on the day of arrival and another girl who was in training. (wish I could remember her name) Right away, I knew I was going to like it there, because of their smiles and friendliness. Of course, we can't forget Michelle and Peter who assisted us with our bags in the pouring rain! That was our first impression of the staff there.

Owayne and Pauline who worked the bar, greated us with a smile everyday. The staff upstairs in the restaurant were FABULOUS. Shared some good laughs with Cameilia and Georgia! We didn't eat on the property everyday but when we did, everything was yummy! We enjoyed the Sunday Buffet which served some authentic Jamaican Food. They also had a some entertainment that very same night, and we danced til we couldn't dance anymore!

We lucked out to our surprise and were given the Pillar Room for the first 2 nights. My boyfriend is very tall so, it was a little cramped and we were just as happy with the Superior Ocean View Room they gave us which was larger. Loved that we got to experience both room types. The Pillar Room did not have AC but the ocean breeze kept things cool at night anyway. Allison did a fantastic job at keeping our room clean and supplied us with fresh towels everyday. I asked for another pillow and she brought me one, no problem mon. We had brought our own little coffee maker to have coffee in the mornings with some Sangster's Rum Cream.
I felt very safe at the resort, although it was a bit dark at night but that was solved by carrying some pocket flashlights.

The pool as mentioned before is small, but that's alright because nobody is hardly in it. Lot of people leave the resort during the day to go to the sister resort and spend time at the beach. We had the pool to ourselves somedays but also equally enjoyed the ocean. If you don't like jumping, you can easily climb down the lader which I did!

The seascape and landscape at the Samsara are equally breathtaking. Melvin does an awesome job taking good care of the grounds! We were lucky to be able to watch the sunset every night. This place is so chill, this is why my boyfriend and I have decided to return for 14 days in July! Can't wait! Thank you Samsara Staff for making this place in my eyes a 5 star! One love.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Louloubelle66
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thanks for your glorious review! So happy you had a great time in February at Samsara. So much so, I understand we will be seeing you again next month! That's fantastic! We're glad we met your expectations in so many ways. From Patricia at the front desk to Owayne and Pauline at the bar, to Melvin in the gardens, we're so lucky to have such a wonderful staff including the ones you don't see very often from the reservations and administrative departments, all such wonderful people to work with. That's great that you got to experience two of our room types, so very different from each other! And we hear you danced up a storm on Sunday Night to Sun Facey and his mento band! Life can be a fun adventure if you open yourself up to it, (and bring flashlights, lol). All in all it is very gratifying to read your trip report and look anxiously forward to seeing you again already in July! Be sure to send us any special requests you may have for your upcoming stay! Irie!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Polish first
Fernie, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I just returned from the Samsara Cliff Resort May 9th, 2014. The cliff diving was fantastic, the water very clear and warm and snorkeling from the cliffs is easily accessible with a dive shop right on site. The staff and owners make you feel at home and are very welcoming. Food was great and the room I was lucky enough to be booked into had a view of the sunset and pool every night. I particularly love the fact that the sister resort "Legends" offers the 7 mile white sandy beach with turquoise clear water. Having the option to lounge at both resorts was amazing and I would definitely recommend this resort to all my friends.
At no time did I feel unsafe and Jamaica is an amazing country and the people go out of their way to make you feel welcome!!

Room Tip: Staying in the ocean view rooms is definitely a plus
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Shirley M
Thanks for your lovely review Shirley! We're very happy that you experienced that special something Jamaica has to offer. From the crystal clear water in front of Samsara and Legends, to the great snorkeling and cliff jumping. It is our pleasure to welcome you and make you feel at home, so glad to know we succeeded. Thanks for your compliments on our food quality and accommodations. Most of our rooms do have a fantastic view of the sea and grounds. It is heartwarming to know that you will recommend us to your friends which is of course the highest compliment. Thanks you so much for your visit, we're glad you had such a good experience. See you again soon hopefully!
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at Samsara Cliffs Resort and loved jumping into the sea. The privacy of the resort was comfortable and safe. We stayed on the garden side the first night, but it was too hot in the evening for us. The staff was very accommodating and we were able to move to the cliff side for the next and remainder of our week long visit... we needed the AC. The staff was very kind and just wanted everyone to have a good time. It was a great trip for me, my wife, 1 year old son, and two grandmas! Thanks Samsara!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris W
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you! It was a pleasure having you and your family :) Glad you got to experience, both our garden and ocean view rooms. Our garden view rooms are great for travelers on a budget, but we understand the importance of offering variety and you just can't beat our superior ocean view rooms. Thank you so much for your kind words about the staff. We will make sure and pass on the positive feedback; they appreciate it so much.
See you again soon,
One love
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We just returned from our third stay at Samsara. The hotel has a fantastic location on the cliffs of Negril. About 20 yards from our room you can jump in the water (or climb down a short ladder) into a great swim or snorkel area. Not sure that you can find a better sunset anywhere. There is no beach but they do have a free shuttle to their other property on 7 mile beach. There is a nice pool and a HOT (just how I like it) whirlpool.

Folks you are not going to find a huge selection of food at a small resort in Negril (maybe 40 units). However we did find the food and service to be very good at their restaurant above the bar. The restaurant also has a great view of the ocean and pool area.

You can pay by the meal or select their all inclusive plan. If you will not be drinking a lot I would suggest not going all inclusive. Then you can sample some of the other great places in the area and also have some meals there.

At this property there are no peddlers and we felt quite secure. (I would lock the doors and windows at night just like I would at home). The first person you will see when you arrive is Peter the security officer. The road by the entrance is somewhat dangerous but he is constantly watching for your safety. He knows everything about the area and is very friendly and helpful. Feel free to ask him any questions (and don't forget a tip if you get great service like we did).

This property gets some mixed reviews. Here is the deal, this is not a 5 star mega resort and is not located in Cancun or Montego Bay.....if that is what you want you probably will have some complaints. It IS a special and unique place on god's earth with reasonable comforts, exceptional views, good swimming/snorkeling, good food, reasonable rates, and there are places to explore in the area.

I don't really have any complaints and we do plan on returning. It is great as is but here are some "wish list" items....room mini refrigerator, upgrade room TV, insulated ice bucket in room, plumbing and water pressure could stand some attention, and more towels.

Room Tip: We like the "superior rooms" with AC.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Glenn L
Thanks so much for your review and for returning for your third visit! We value all our guests but out repeaters hold a special place in our hearts. Glad you made it down to Legends on the free shuttle, always good to mix it up, that's why we offer both options. Also we appreciate your compliments on the food, along with the view. There is nothing like enjoying three meals a day with a perfect view of the Caribbean Sea.
You are absolutely right, no peddlers, the hotel is 100% private. What's funny is we are constantly hearing that our hotel is not a 5 star hotel, when it is clearly advertised as a 3 star. Not to worry though, we take the comparison as a compliment.
Something to look forward to on your next trip, there will be brand new 39" flat screen TVs in every room. They have been ordered and we can't wait to offer them to all our guests.
See you again soon,
One love
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I recently spent a week at this resort and was ready to leave by day 4. The hour ride to samsara from Montego Bay felt unsafe, and the driver makes a "fruit stop" on the way just so you will buy something at their friends stand. This is the first attempt for someone to solicit drugs. The cliffs are amazing and the ocean beautiful, but the rooms are garbage. Comparable to a low budget "inn". It looks like the place was built back in the late 70's and never got a face lift. The beds feel like they are filled with hay, the air conditioning you pay extra for does not work, the roaches are prevalent, and you are only allowed two towels that are managed like a North Korean camp. The drinks were ok, the free drinks from the all inclusive we're select drinks and red strip beer only. The food was not awful however, it gets old and the taste of baked beans at 8am is not that great. And repetitive. The free shuttles to Legends go one time a day and they have a small portion of beach that is filled with locals begging to sell you something,including drugs. You CANT go anywhere without someone trying to sell you drugs! The staff were good and tried to be helpful but they can only do so much. If you book events ahead of time, confirm you have dates and receipts because our travel guide Alisa left us hanging twice. Multiple couples got hosed out of their trips because she failed to schedule pick ups for them. When the staff tried to help she was no where to be located and wouldn't answer her phone. The crossing guard Peter is also an interesting character. Think of him as a shady middle man who attempts to get you to pick his cabs because he gets a cut. He, along with everyone else, also solicit drugs all the time. I would NOT bring children or stay here if you don't want to be around that kind of atmosphere. You can also find everything on your own and negotiate for far cheaper than this joke of a middle man would jip you for. If your thinking about renting a car, DONT! The drivers are crazy and dangerous, there are no laws enforced.

Room Tip: The rooms are all garbage, but if you must select an ocean room with air conditioning.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Nope U
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for your thoughtful review and constructive feedback. Yes the snorkeling at Samsara is awesome and we’re glad you enjoyed that! We are sorry that you didn’t enjoy the full extent of your stay with us. In our opinion your description of the accommodations is exaggerated to say the least, and unhelpful to other travelers. We respect that your expectations were not met but the vast majority of our clients’ reviews of our facilities do not agree with yours. Our recent renovations were recognized in 2013 by Travelocity’s award of excellence. It should be noted as well that the travel guide Alisa is not employed by the hotel and her actions are beyond the scope of our responsibility. We do however recognize your frustration and will pass on this information to her employers to avoid a similar encounter with other visitors. For the benefit of valued readers of this forum, the crossing guard you mentioned has been disciplined and further investigation is ongoing. Rest assured we have taken all necessary steps to insure that our staff behave in a professional manner at all times. It may be of interest to other readers that we have many families with children who do stay with us at both Samsara and Legends, returning year after year as satisfied repeat customers. We do appreciate your positive comments about the quality of our meals, and the friendly helpful staff who will be pleased to hear this praise. Thanks again for visit and hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you again in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at Samsara resort for four days, let's just say four days too long. Samsara cliffs were amazing I'm not big on jumping off them but are definitely worth it if you do. The rooms were average, toilet ran constantly, never had a clean sheet or pillow case, but that was the least of my worries as I have to think ( I dont change my sheets or pillow cases at home everyday) please note you'll have to keep a water bottle by your side if you get thirsty throughout the night due to nothing being available once the front desk closes at 11pm and doesn't open until 8am.

While the woman staff were more than helpful, respectfull and welcoming, the day guard Peter made my stay like hell. He begged and stalked me a majority of my stay to sneak away with him to the hills, and to go out to the town ect. Peter even went through the trouble of calling my room late at night, after all of my rejections I thought the headache was over. Sad to say I was wrong I was robbed while sleeping the night before I left and I believe that it was him or someone he personally knew. Someone climbed through our 2nd floor balcony window and took my valuables (ie. The last of our money, electronics,personal items), and walked right out my room leaving the door wide open. Did I mention all while I was sleeping? There really was no one around to help after this discovery which was quite disappointing, the only person who was willing to help was Luther which is the guy in charge of the operation department. Luther did all that was in his power (looking at video footage, and calling the police who did NOTHING). What was supposed to be a vacation turned into a nightmare,so you better believe I wanted to make others aware and will continue to do so if this gets flagged. I'll close this with a word of advice do not I repeat do not trust Peter one bit he is a sneaky shady person, lock all doors and windows at all times, and have a back up plan in case this happens to you. (Jamaica big problem)

• Stayed May 2014
20 Thank charmin_stud
Thank you for your review. As you stayed in the same room as the other reviewer from Des Moines, Iowa and are referring to the same visit to our hotel, we submit a duplicate response. We thank you for stay with us.

We are sorry to hear of your experience and apologize for not meeting your expectations, despite our best efforts and intentions. It is noteworthy that our housekeeping team consistently receives very high marks for their attentive service and cleaning of rooms so this comment was surprising. Furthermore we could not substantiate the claim concerning the toilet as it was found to be working correctly and not in need of repair. For the benefit of other readers, we have taken the necessary steps to insure encounters with our staff members are always professional. The individual named in your review has been disciplined and is undergoing further investigation. As for the items that went missing, we encourage our guests to take the same normal precautions they do at home such as locking doors and windows at night, securing valuables in a safety deposit box, and exercising common sense in deciding with whom they fraternize. Thank you for recognizing most of our friendly and helpful staff. We will certainly pass on your kind comments. We hope you were able to take home some positive memories of your time in Jamaica and hope that you will consider us again for your next visit to Negril.
Las Vegas
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I got married at Samsara in 2008, and has been visiting ever since. Our garden charm apartment is like non other, tucked away across the street from the ocean, in a lush garden of bougainvilleas and hibiscus bloom. There is no telephone, just a TV, a true essence of serenity. We are from the city of light, Las Vegas, and found that there is no better escape than this place. The staffs are helpful and friendly, from crossing guard, front desk to bartender. This remain one of our favorite place to visit, for years to come.

Room Tip: The rooms are average, need a bit of touch up paint, but the setback location is priceless.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank housebytherock
How great to see you trip report! Thank you for such kind words, it was very nice to see you at Samsara again. We know how you love the gardens and your charming cottage on the garden side in our little tropical oasis. It feels very meaningful to have such a special place in your hearts, from your wedding in 2008 until now and hopefully for years to come. We'll pass on your positive comments to the staff. They really are our greatest asset. Hope you're enjoying a fun summer. Looking forward to welcoming you back next year! Let us know if you have any special requests! One love!