“Worth it”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #30 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I were planning our honeymoon for a while and since cost and budgeting were an important aspect in our planning we lowered our expectations as well. We found this great little deal on Living Social and booked it after a quick research of the property and surrounding area. When we got to the airport we had our taxi waiting for us which took us directly to the resort with a requested stop by a local roadside eatery (great). We were greeted by the front desk (Patricia) with a smile and a warm welcome. Customer Service was great from the start. The resort itself was beyond what we had been expecting, spectacular views, good food and dinning, swimming pool was clean and well kept to include the hot tub. The bar staff (Owayne) was exceptional and so were the drinks. All in all we ended up extending for 2 more days and had a wonderful experience. Would definitely recommend this place for travelers that want to relax, lay back, and be cost effective but of course do not raise your expectations to a point you know would be dissatisfied. Also there is a beach nearby but with this resort you have the luxury of both the cliffs and the beach which makes for a very flexible type of stay. Great Place would go back for sure.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the ocean front rooms or Pillar houses.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Garfy02
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hey Calvin, thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback! We're really glad that you were happy with your choice to spend your honeymoon at Samsara. This is a special occasion and we were honored to be your hosts. Thank you for pointing out the aspects of your stay that you enjoyed including our friendly staff, beautiful location, good food, and clean surroundings. Our guests really enjoy the convenience of getting to experience two different locations when they stay at either of our Negril hotels. The cliffs offer exceptional scenery and serenity, while the beach is postcard perfect clear blue water framed by miles of soft white sand. We're pleased you appreciated this flexibility without breaking the bank! Thanks again for your stay, we'll pass on your kind comments to Patricia, Owayne and the rest of our team. Hope to see you again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have waited almost a week from my return just to ensure I had cooled off and could write a helpful review that wasn't just "in the heat" of the moment. Know that I am an avid traveler and an avid trip researcher. I use all the travel sites and thoroughly vet the comments. That being said here are some common threads that were spot on:
- You ONLY get 2 towels , no handtowels, washcloths or anything else. They truly do remove these midday and bring them back later . There are NO beach towels. *Note- I actually called the resort and asked them if they provided beach towels and they assured me they did. Fortunately I packed 2 just in case. Having those towels helped me deal with the :towel gap" if I did want to shower midday
- Even though they claim to provide snorkeling gear , trust me and the other reviews. Again, I called the resort and checked on this one beforehand and they assured me they offered snorkeling gear at no charge. This time I trusted them and did not bring any . When we approached the front desk and asked they seemed so confused. Finally, they went in back , dug through a box for 15 minutes and produced a single mask that was probably older than me. NO problem, they actually have a dive shop at the resort, right? They do, but this tiny room apparently doesn't house much equipment ( that you do have to pay for). When we went we were told to come back again day after ....
- They provide no toiletries aside from soap and toilet paper, There are zero amenities available like coffee makers or ice machines
- When using the small pool you have absolutely no view of the cliffs or water because of a 3 foot wall around the pool

Onto my personal experience. We arrived and were greeted by immediately being asked for a $100 deposit. I would had appreciated a drink with an umbrella or even a tepid water , but this was the priority. They didn't want my credit card on file ,they wanted to go ahead and charge 100$. Next we were walked down the path to our room. I had reserved a "superior ocean view" room after reading the options. I definitely knew we needed air and the only reason I selected an older resort was the opportunity for the breathtaking views that I read about. The path led to a "cottage" with a dilapidated porch in the middle of grown up vegetation and while you MAY have been able to see a sliver of ocean 20 years ago , there was absolutely NO WHERE you could view anything but vegetation and the cottage in front of you (avoid 2A).
As she put the key in the door I noticed gaps at the top of the door and the bottom and cracks where light showed through in the middle of the door.. I am not exaggerating .
Once we walked into the room I was greeted with the unbearable heat and a smell of must and old stuff. When I asked how to work the air I was told I had to pay extra . With that I walked out, walked back to the front desk and 20 minutes later was handed the remote to work the tiny, tiny air conditioner . Note- there wears tears and loud complaints during that 20 minutes.
Back to the room , with some thought that perhaps we may not die of heat exhaustion ( only some hope, it was a tiny air conditioner) I took in the scene. I could clearly see the angle which they stood to take the picture for the websites , it was the ONLY angle the room could have been favorably photographed from. Aside from the king bed and the beautiful curtains around it , nothing else in the room was even remotely okay.
Owe fun fact was that the room had at least 5 windows that were directly on the path people walked by . These were not covered in the beautiful curtains that decorated the bed, they were covered in see through tattered lace curtains. Even if modesty didn't cause this to be an issue it was compounded by the fact that there was a BRIGHT OUTDOOR light shining directly into these windows most of the night. We had to use our comforter and the towels I packed to sleep and have any semblance of privacy.
I took all my concerns to the front desk, I did not receive the warm Jamaican responses I have come to expect after several trips to the island. I was told I could fill out a room change request but they had no availability. More tears occurred.
The "cliffs" which were a huge draw for me, just weren't that impressive. Maybe the highest was 15 feet. Although we never got official snorkeling gear I had packed goggles and there wasn't anything beautiful or magical under the water anywhere near the cliffs.
Couple of additional notes- All Inclusive would NEVER EVER be worth is here. There are only 2 restaurants and they have limited hours. Ciao ( new and across the street) actually does have very good food. There are several small Jamaican restaurants immediately within walking distance for breakfast and lunch. IF you need beer or basic groceries there is a mart just a few hundred feet if you leave the resort and turn left. Do not let the cabbies that flock on you immediately when you walk to the street convince you that you need a ride to the mart.

This property was nowhere near enough of a "value" to make me suck it up and enjoy the deal I received. For just 100's more I could have enjoyed some semblance of comfort. It was easily the single worst travel mistake I have ever made.
All that being said , I LOVE the island and we had a great time because we left the resort almost every day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
34  Thank Shea L

Thank you for your informative review. We're sorry we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. Our customer service team has noted that you are a seasoned traveler and avid researcher. It is therefore confusing that you apparently didn't visit our Frequently Asked Question FAQ webpage. We created this list of useful tips for the exact purpose of avoiding misinformation. Questions 2, 14, and 20 specifically address the subjects of beach towels, snorkel gear, and the incidental deposit. It is our unwavering intention to provide the most accurate information possible to our customers. It is regrettable that you overlooked this information. Furthermore we promptly offered you a room change to a lovely superior room with king bed and unobstructed sea views with a new split unit air conditioner (203). For unknown reasons you declined this offer even though it would have addressed your problems successfully. We do appreciate some of your helpful points such as repositioning the pathway light so as not to be disturbing, and changing the curtains which are actually in production as we write. The overwhelming majority of our guests absolutely love Samsara's cliff location with the spectacular views and peaceful atmosphere. We regret that this did not appeal to you. Thank you again for your visit. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Jamaica!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed at the sister resort Legends Beach and we went to Samsara for the day.
It was soo beautiful!!! The outside area was the best. There's a hot tub, a pool and another "pool" with a fountain in the middle. The best part about Samara are the cliffs to jump off into the ocean. I didn't get a chance to jump off because it started to rain.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chimere M
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you for your beautiful review! We're very happy your enjoyed your visit to Samsara while staying at our sister resort on the beach, Legends. The location on Negril's west end cliffs is truly a thing of natural beauty which is frequently mentioned by our visitors as their first and lasting impression. We hope you'll return some day soon to jump off the cliffs! Thanks again for your visit and taking the time to share your experience! One love!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Booked the all inclusive package through Groupon who deals with Vacation express. I must say i was impressed by them. They had a bus waiting to pick us up and drop us to our resort, which stopped at a number of them on the way to Samsara resort. All the results each had these luxurious drop off lobby's and I based on the reviews, I wasn't expecting much from ours. When we arrived at our resort, there was no grand drop off lobby, no bells, no whistles, just on the side of the street. I immediately began to regret booking this resort. But as we were taken to our room, we saw the beautiful scenery and I IMMEDIATELY fell in love with this resort. We didnt have to pay extra for our Air conditioner. We had towels changed everyday. All sorts of drinks at the bar, delicious food, ESPECIALLY THE BREAKFAST MMMmmmmmmm!! Everyone was so nice and welcoming. My boyfriend even forgot his wallet on a bus from one of the tours booked thru vacation express and they came back and dropped it off after we called. The Vacation Express representative, Philita was sooo nice and very helpful. Everyone took care of us and I have not one complaint. This isn't a 5 star hotel, but its quiet, wasn't rowdy, and most of all it was absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. I would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Michelle O
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thanks Michelle for your 'very nice' review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Samsara from arrival to departure! We're so happy to know you appreciated everything we offer including the gorgeous scenery, variety of cocktails, freshly prepared meals, comfortable and clean accommodations, plus our friendly staff! It was our pleasure to serve you and your boyfriend. Your review lifts our hearts making it all worthwhile! We will pass on your positive feedback to Vacation Express and their representatives who do a great job with customer service. Remember to let us know if you plan a return visit to receive your special discount for repeat guests. Thanks again for your visit and wonderful trip report! One love!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I had very few expectations for Samsara, based on other reviews, really I only had one: to relax. After 4 days at Samsara I left in a state of agitation that followed by a sleepless night.
The first two days I got along fine, my room was clean, and the air conditioner worked, the fan was effective but obnoxiously loud.
My experience fell apart when I needed help making a phone call. I needed to reconfirm my transportation to the airport, it was part of my vacation package, so taking the first taxi available in the morning wasn't going to work for me. In short, I asked the woman at the front desk twice for help making the call and she wouldn't call for me. She kept directing me to try again from the room. Anyway, in the end, a tour guide operator let me use his cell phone to make the call. I was confirmed for 10am, I enjoyed the rest of my afternoon on a pub crawl and then at dinner.
When I returned to the hotel at some point between 9 and 10 pm I was handed a note that had my room number and a message that said my taxi would arrive at 6:50am. A copy of the same note had been placed in my room. The note was confusing to me because I had spoken directly to the transportation company earlier in the day. At that point in the evening the person that took the message was no where to be found and the transportation company was closed. No way to confirm if the message was indeed for me, so I had to change my plans and prepare myself to be ready to leave 3 hours earlier than intended. This might not sound like a big deal, but it agitated me to no end. I wouldn't have stayed out so late drinking if I knew I had to wake up at 5:50am to be ready to leave at 6:50am. I specifically booked an afternoon flight because I didn't want to wake up at the crack of dawn on the last day of my vacation.
I packed my bags and laid down. I didn't sleep well because I was afraid I would oversleep and because the beds are uncomfortable (a fact I didn't care about when I was content - the first 2 nights).
Stress woke me up at 5:45am, an hour later I called the front desk to ask for help with my suitcase. No one available til 8am, so I lugged it downstairs in the humid air by myself. A taxi driver did show up at 6:50am, but he looked at me crazy when I asked if he was sent for me. Of course! The note wasn't for me after all. So I'm up and rushing for no reason at all on my last day in Jamaica. I went for breakfast at the hotel restaurant and tried to simmer down, but I was upset. And that was how my vacation ended. I had one item on my agenda, to relax, and that was not achieved at Samsara.
Message to the manager: Please train the front desk staff on taking messages. Include the guest name, not just the room number, who the message was from, and what time the message was left.
Also, put some directions in the room that inform tourists how to make a local call. It seems simple enough, but the steps for making a call vary from city to city in the USA and maybe in other countries too. Help us out.
I'm not coming back to this hotel, but it wasn't all bad. The view of the cliffs is beautiful. The drinks and food were affordable. Some of the staff were very pleasant including Owayne, Patricia, and Julessa.

Room Tip: Ocean view with air conditioning
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank PSWPharmD

Thank you for your informative review. We sincerely apologize for the mix-up in communicating your pick-up time for the ride back to the airport. Rest assured we are looking into how this happened and will redouble our efforts to make sure it does not happen again by a thorough review with the front desk staff on accurate message taking and delivery. Your constructive feedback is well noted. On a positive note, we are happy that you enjoyed the beautiful ocean front location, home-cooked meals, and our friendly staff! Thanks again for your visit and comments!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is definitely a HOTEl and not a RESORT. For a traveler like myself, DO NO book this hotel. If you are new to traveling and just want to leave the country, still possibly. The customer service started out ok and got gradually worse. There are a lot of basic amenities that you would expected and you do not have. Some of them they made you pay for and some they took forever to bring you as if you were bothering them , although it was their job. I booked an all inclusive resort package and got there and they told me i only booked the room and had to pay for an all-inclusive meal package. Who on GOD's green earth books a package at an all inclusive resort and doesn't want all inclusive, simply ridiculous. If I book an A/C room, I want A/C, otherwise i would get a standard room with a fan with 5 speeds all set to LOW. If you pay for an room with A/C at this resort, you get your room with an A/C in it but you have to pay to turn it on, SERIOUSLY.

Customer Service acted as if they were not associated with negrilhotels.com and had no idea how to fix my issues when they are one in the same. They made me come back several times to correct issues that could have been handled right then. I stood in line mixed in with a bus load of people that had just arrived, I got to the counter and they wanted me to come back so they could check the rest of the individual people in, well am I not a valued guest as well? Did I not stand in the long line and wait my turn. You have got to be kidding me! The wash clothes were shredded as if they were the cleaning rags. My linens were never changed ( Yes i did the pen trick to see). This hotel has horrible practices with horrible front desk staff. The Bar and food staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank cjm1130

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback. We're sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. Samsara offers various options such as all-inclusive meal plan or no meal plan, as well as rooms that are ceiling fan cooled or rooms that are air-conditioned. Occasionally customers accidentally reserve a room type and/or meal plan other than the one they intended to. In this case, our reservations team must honor what was actually booked rather than what was meant to be booked. Usually this can be rectified easily with an on-site upgrade. I would appreciate if you contact me by email with the particulars of your booking in order to look into it properly as we do take our guests' satisfaction very seriously. Your situation can help us to see where we may have done a better job at responding to your needs. Thank you for your visit and the opportunity hear from you directly at stay@negrilhotels.com.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and myself visisted Samsara Cliffs along with 2 other couples. The resort was just O.K but we got a great deal on the vacation. We purchased all inclusive package from Groupon. The staff was exceptionally nice! The food was ok! We traveled back and forth on the shuttles from this resort to their sister resort- Legends Beach Resort that is included.. There is not a beach here just the clifs that you can into which was a lot of fun!!! Legends have the beautiful beach area and your all-inclusive eat and drink plan is valid at that resort also. Would stay here again if we got a good rate as before. This place is also not far from the famous Ricks Cafe. We took a boat ride over to a little island where they caught, cleaned, and grilled fresh lobster and fish right in front our eyes. The BEST lobster we have ever had!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank starlitevaughn

Thank you for your positive review! We're glad you felt you got excellent value on your vacation package. We appreciate your nice comments about our friendly staff who really do go out of their way to help our guests feel welcome and comfortable. That's great that you enjoyed both our locations, this is really a bonus for our visitors who get to experience the best of both worlds in Negril - cliffs and beaches! Look out for our upcoming special offers and you're sure to get another great deal for you and your friends to hopefully make a return trip to Samsara soon! Thanks again for your visit!