“loved it”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #30 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 28 January 2010

i will always stay at the samsara and will be getting married there next year

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ksushe

Reviewed 28 January 2010

We have been going to Samsara for many yrs and can't wait to go back every year. We stay for 2 wks and we go out in the town every day just like we are home. We feel very safe there and just love the food. We have many new friends from all over the country that meet the same time every year. The staff are very nice at both the hotels. I just wish that i could live there all year round. Samsara's food is not all that,so we don't go all inclusive any more. If you want peace and quiet go to Samsara, if you want a little more go to it's sister hotel Legends. Great time at both.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ailers57
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Simple but efficient and wonderful hotel. Helpful staff, awesome cliffs and beautiful views. What a way to get to know the real Negril.........cant wait to go back.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Stayed for 5 nights in December. Our room was a cottage with an attic bedroom. It was nice and roomy, with a great shower. The room also had a great porch that was quiet and private, this was an added bonus!
We chose not to take the All Inclusive and were glad we did. However this seemed to cause some suspicion with the staff . We chose to run a tab, and it seemed like for three days they kept calling us to the front desk for photocopies of passports, additional credit cards, signatures etc. All of which they collected upon arrival We felt as though they thought we were going to run out on them. We travel often and extensively and have never experienced anything quite like it.
The menu was quite limited and quite expensive compared to the local eateries. We found a great little restaurant across the street called Choices and it was terrific, the service was great and the coffee, delicious and fresh! The prices were great too!
Staying on the cliffs was lovely and the snorkeling in front of the hotel was like swimming in an aquarium, just beautiful! My son loved jumping off the cliffs into the sea,it was the highlight of his vacation.
As I said, great value for the money.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank mrss2006
Reviewed 5 January 2010

We will never forget our trip to Jamaica! We bought the tickets before we researched the hotel only to find out that it had tons of bad reviews, we went there open minded knowing that all we really needed a bed because we would be out doing things most of the time. When we checked in, we really like it! We had a garden view room and we enjoyed the seclusion of it. Next door there was an amazing restaurant called Choices. Hugeeeeee portions cheap and amazing food. We ate there a good majority of the time spent. The shuttle to and from was convienient and the sister hotels beach was great!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank heatherisbetter
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Loved this resort and will stay here each time that I visit. Couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Before I went to this resort I looked at all the reviews that I could about this particular resort on tripadvisory. I was alittle discouraged as to what I read. I decided to take note and write what I thought during my stay.

The weather was around 89 degrees the entire week. The Samsara was 2 hrs away from the Montego Bay airport. We had a very pleasant ride with JTL Tours. I would definitely recommend that you prepay for your transfers roundtrip prior to your trip. I was a great idea and less hassle once we arrived. The driver was a great tour guide during the ride to the resort. We passed by tons of large resorts and I was very glad that I did not choose these places. If you are looking for relaxation and serenity then the Samsara is the place to visit! My spouse and i really loved that the Samsara had no children when we got there the week we went. I think midweek prior to the Thanksgiving holiday is the greatest time to travel. The airport was very light with travelers. We had a direct flight and it was smooth sailing. The Samsara was very safe and had security all night. The resort can get you anything that you need all you have to do it ask the front desk. The private taxi driver Donald is the best! He will take you anywhere you want to go for great prices. The best shopping place for souvenirs is at Sonia's. Ask Donald to take you there he will wait for you to shop until your heart is content....... He is very safe and recommended by the hotel if you like to go off alone or with other couples for a reasonable price. I would suggest that you change your money before you leave home at a money exchange bank. The rates in NYC was 98.60 to 1 Jamaican dollar, in Jamaica at the airport it was only 88.00 and the hotel was 75.00, but worst case scenario is to go to the Hi/Lo for the exchange which was 87.60. The figure changes on a daily basis but that was the best place to go. You can also shop for all your snacks and it was very close to the resort via taxi ride.

The nightlife was pretty good. We went to "The Jungle" and it was great. Lots of working girls, but other than that the music and food was pretty good.... The sister hotel The Legends had shuttle service daily but we never went to the beach there because we were very content at the Samsara.

The hotel accomendations was okay. It only made it okay because the beds were not very comfortable. They could step up the comfort of the beds, but other than that the room was very clean. The room was cleaned everyday by housekeeping. If you wanted new towels changed daily you had to take the old ones to the front desk and have them switched, other than that they were changed every other day. Our room had an air conditioner and it was a oceanfront view. Very beautiful everyday. You do need to take the following items for your room. Insect spray, citronella candle (keep bugs away while sitting outside on our balcony), incense or scented candle (for the mugginess of the room) remember this is an island. No problems with bugs in the room nor did we have a bed bug problem.

I saw lots of negative reviews for the food. Well we seem to not agree with that at all! The food was very good. There was not a very big selection of food to choose from, but it was always something different everytime. The hot items that are always served is the signature calaloo and fried dumplings. There was always something different to choose from and the food was like your home cooked food. All the dining room staff was very, very nice. No negative things to say about all the staff at the resort. Everyone did everything to make our stay wonderful and it was just that.

The drinks were very good and we had the all inclusive package. The papaya, banana and strawberry daiquiris were my favorites, but you can drink as much as you like from 10am - 10pm. I had a small cold and I asked for lots of lime and water as well as hot water and salt to gargle with and all did what they could to help me get over that cold. The bar always had a cooler on the bar all night where they had cold water all day long and after hours if needed. If you needed ice at anytime the bar could accomodate you before the bar closed if you have a collapsable ice holder. You are not served premium liquors, but we purchased a bottle of jamaican dark rum and added it to our drinks as we liked. You can purchase any liquor at the Hi/Lo store.

The reason I rate this resort a 3 star is because the can improve on the missing tiles in the pool and jacuzzi. They always had maintenance of the property going on but I saw no one fixing the pool or jacuzzi. It was very heavily populated with Germans. I believe this resort is German owned. It was lots of Germans there when we went.

I read previously on tripadvisory prior to my trip that Rick's cafe has great food. Well if you consider American food great then that is what they serve. The buffalo wings were like american made and not carribbean made at all. So if you want regular food, then go here to eat. Bourbon Beach had great jerk chicken, but if you want cabbage cooked don't ask them because they serve it raw.

Overall the trip was extremely relaxing and you can swim right there in the ocean and jump off the cliff into the water. The sunsets were absolutely beautiful every night! They had a night where a 2 man band came to play and that was a fun time near the bar. The resort is very small and quaint. If you are looking to get away from it all from busy hectic NYC and NJ, then this place is worth the money. We heard that Xtabi and 3 Dives were good eats, but we tried to go there and they did not even have food ready to eat at 1pm in the afternoon. So just ask Donald where the good places are to eat outside of the resort and he will take you where ever you want to go. Respect everytime is his favorite line!

So if you decide to go to this resort you will not be unsatisfied. It was a good place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple