“very relaxing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Waterbury, Connecticut
“very relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

My name is Tim and I was in Negril in begining of jun with my wife Edona, we had a great relaxing vacacion, we stayd at samsara in cliffs in room 4C and we love'd the staff and place in general. This was one of my best vacacions, everyday rooster (coco) would woke me up at 8-9 oclock (even coco was wokeing up late) feed him with sunflowers and hit the bar, all day drink pinas and enjoy the sun of Jam, 2 make the story short its place 2 be.
P.S dont forget the sunflowers, Coco is beatifull rooster that u r gona love it...

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Polish first
Altamonte Springs, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

I spent 5 nights in a cottage (with a loft) at Samsara, and wanted to jot my thoughts down about this sweet, sweet spot on the cliffs. Just prior to leaving, I read a lot of reviews on here, and I admit, that I was a bit hesitant to arrive -- but I arrived with an open mind and was quite pleased at what the place really was all about.

This was my 12th trip to Jamaica -- but I hadn't been in Negril for over 3 years. This trip was special . . . I was bringing my 17 year old twin daughters and I wanted them to experience Montego Bay and Negril. I chose Samsara because I love the cliffs -- and I wanted the ability to also take my daughters to the 7 mile beach. Samsara's free shuttle worked out wonderfully (although I will admit tht Legends is on the quiet end of the beach and I prefer the Margaritaville area). Either way though, we were good!!!

When we arrived at Samsara, it had a strange "vibe" to it -- and the employees seemed a bit stand-offish . . . or, perhaps, I was -- because the transition from MoBay to the cliffs was huge, LOL. Once given the opportunity, I will tell you that the staff was helpful, friendly, and very nice. They answered questions and went out of their way to help me book tours -- and even order a pizza delivered for my daughters.

The cottage was spotless -- roomy, and cool (yes, we had A/C). We had a steady, over-abundance of towels (moreso than we ever got an the all-inclusive in MoBay) -- and the place was SO quiet!!! The afternoon traffic to and from Rick's is a bit noisy, but honestly, it quiets right down -- and we slept beautifully and uninterrupted here!!!

The grounds were immaculate and well kept!! We were too nervous to jump in and swim off the cliffs -- but there were people doing it all day!!!!

We went to Legends and had breakfast . . . the food was very good, although a tad pricey. For the convenience, however, it was fine. We ate for about $10 per person, including juice and coffee and a medley of fruit. The "vibe" at Legends was nice . . . the waitress (Tiffany) was the best!!!!!

So my only real "feedback" is that when we arrived at Samsara, there was a bit of topless sunbathing going on. I know that on the cliffs, anything goes -- but I wish there was a separate spot for folks to bare themselves. My daughters are 17, so we were okay with it, but would've preferred a "head's up" instead of the surprise we got. And last -- we paid $2.50 at Samsara and $3 at Legends for a bottle of soda . . . when we could've gone across the street to Choices and gotten it for 75 cents! Since I was staying at Samsara, I would've preferred to buy things there, but due to the prices of food and drink, I often went across the street for both.

Yes -- great location, decent rate for the cottage, good people. I will definitely return!!!! Thanks, Samsara, for the great vacation spot!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

Our family of six which included mum dad, a teenager ,a child of 7 years and 2 grandparents one in a wheel chair, stayed at Samsara for 14 nights in superior rooms with a/c overlooking the ocean ,on a breaksfast plan allowing us the freedom to eat out during the day. The breakfast was excellent providing a good variety and a filling start to the day.

We have stayed at many hotels within Negril over the course of 7 years, Samsara was our first on the cliffs and the best value for money by far. The location was fantastic watching the sunset and rise every day, the hotel was perfect for snorkeliing and the grounds of the hotel were safe and clean with all the staff being freindly and polite ensuring that they knew our names and always enquring after our welfare. We ate lunch on some occassions and had dinner once at the hotel all again offered good quality food at good value for money. I had read other reviews and was glad to haved packed our own towels as room service was often not completed until mid afternnoon.

The hotel is within good location of other eating spots the 'Three Dives', 'Choices' across the road and the 'Hungry Lion' all excellent value of local good cuisine. I would recommend this hotel to people looking for a good quality standard ( ask for a/c and ocean view) with excellent value for money.

The hotel offers daily transport to the beach which we did not need to take advantage of as we had our own transport. We have statyed at Legends previously and while the staff are very freindly and the location on the beach is perfect ,the choice of facilities at Samsara is of a better quality as it offers spa and massage as well as a diving school. I would recommend Samsara over Legends but if you want to sample beach life and do not have access to your own transport than split your stay a week at each, if however you have your own transport or need to choose I would recommend Samsara over Legends. Legends is not as quiet as its beach location means you hear all the nightly events/ shows that rota nightly on the beach if you are looking for entertainment on your door step than Legends should be your choice. If you are looking for piece and quiet with perfect surroundings than Samsara offers this.

Francis Family
London June 2010

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandra201014
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2010

I arrived at samsara on 5\23\10 and to my surprise we were told that in order to have the air condition turned on in our room we would have to pay an extra $18.00 a day for the air. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I go to Jamaica every year and not once did I ever had to buy air. Also the towel situation was not great you had to ask for towels and wash cloths, one of the bed spring was sprung so my girlfriend and I had to share a bed, no entertainment, what they called entertainment was two men, one playing a gaiter and the other one beating on a man mad instrument and that was a one time thing the food was horrible, no ice buckets in room barmaid was upset when we kept asking for ice. If you really wanted something you had to pay extra for it. I really felt bad because this was my girlfriend first time in Jamaica and it turned out to be a big mess. Only one shuttle to the beach which left at 10:am and returned at 4:pm so if you missed the shuttle, you were on your own. The food was horrible so eat out,the best place to eat is 3 Dive best Grilled Lobster ever. Although this was a cheap trip, and yes you get what you pay for Samsara is not the place to go. Run from this place.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank disappointed019

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

There is a not a better deal in Jamaica. There is also not a prettier place to stay. I have brought over 50 people to Samsara and also stayed there for my honey moon. We love it. Kerianne and the staff is wonderful and helpful.

The snorkeling at the cliffs is so much fun and after traveling the world and snorkeling in the Pacific, the Great Barrier Reef, and Belize, swimming in and out of the caves and cliffs nearby is such a treat. IT was one of the most special places in all my travels.

It is also very safe, very relaxing, and beautiful.

But the most special thing, is even if you gave someone hundreds of millionsof dollars they could not replicate this places unique beauty.

• Stayed June 2010
fla
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

What do you expect for a bargain? At first my friends and i Thought we snagged a deal but in the end we ended up paying more for the a/c and room upgrade. The food is reptile food. It's not even vegetarian. I love Jamaican cuisine and this was below par Jamaican food. I am 1/2 Jamaican and this is a sorry taste of Jamaica. You can not blame the staff but you tend to wonder what the management tells their staff to do to the guests. The staff seems tired and overworked.. I actually feel sorry for them. I am also aware it is not owned by Jamaicans. This place actually gives a poor view of what real Jamaicans are like as the place wreaks of ganja although the guests are not rowdy but rather mellow. I tend to wonder why? the rooms are something to be desired . There are nicer places in Negril like Tensing Pen. I got the impression this was a no frills tensing pen. This is definitely not for families or children or people with disabilities. I found it rather unsafe. There's slate paving along the walkways and when wet become extremely slippery. I was told there has been death off the cliff of samsara back in December. It's not for children to jump off of or for any person who is not a great swimmer and there are no lifeguards. It is a very roughcoast line but very nice to look at.
The place is not handicap accessible and will be a great challenge for sany person with disabilities. Depending on how you want to have your children view things I would no way suggest this place with children. It's too inviting foR THEM TO SEE THINGS THAT ARE NOT PERMISSABLE AROUND THE WORLD. This is no place to be caught up in if you have any standing. SAMSORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't waste your money

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank mschocolate
NegrilhotelsManager, Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2010
Thank you for your post. Today as I strolled through our spacious tropical gardens full of hibiscus, hummingbirds, and bougainvilleas, and looked out over the sparkling Caribbean sea with couples, friends, and families lounging and relaxing around Samsara’s cliffs and pool areas under the Jamaican sunshine, being served by our friendly smiling staff - it was difficult to reconcile your description. I am happy however to address the issues you raise in your review.

Your booking was for a standard room with ceiling fan. The room descriptions online and in print clearly state which room type is not air-conditioned and offered at a very economical price for budget-minded travelers. At the time of booking, guests have the opportunity to choose different room types with and without a.c. Upon arriving to the hotel if a client changes their mind, there is of course a cost to upgrade to a higher room category than the one originally booked.

Samsara does not and never has advertised handicap facilities. There is abundant signage all over the property alerting guests about areas that are slippery when wet, pool rules, and no lifeguard on duty. Our visitors and those who stay at other cliff resorts greatly enjoy jumping from the cliffs, snorkeling, swimming, and scuba diving. We also have many families with children of all ages who visit us, some returning year after year.

Samsara enjoys a very high rate of customer satisfaction. This has been earned by listening and responding to our guests when they have a concern. It is best to express these concerns while at a hotel rather than only after the fact in a public forum, which does not allow the hotel a fair opportunity to professionally remedy the issue.

Most travelers will agree that every hotel is not for every guest. However, a review of other posts in this forum will show the great number of people who thoroughly enjoy our friendly staff, convenient facilities, comfortable and clean rooms, great food, and outstanding location. We appreciate their positive comments and continued support!

Thank you for your visit and your feedback. We hope this information was helpful.
Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

My daughter graduated from High School May 2010 and choose a trip to Jamaica as a graduation gift, family and friends came with us to celebrate her graduation, and it was the vacation from hell staying at Samsara. The place was nasty, the food was terrible, There are bugs and lizards in your room as well as roosters crowing in front of your door early in the morning, they do not put clean towels in your room you have to take the dirty ones to them to exchange for clean ones, and yes if you like the way brillo feels against your skin, then you will not have any complaints about the old towels they give you. The absolute worst thing at Samsara is that you have to pay for air condition it does not come with your package, it cost $19.00 daily to get air condition remember this is a tropical island. Also when you make your booking and if two friends are staying in the same room they will give you one king size bed, when you ask them to change it to two double beds they want to charge you a 25% daily surcharge to switch the rooms...it was a nightmare staying at SamSara, they should change the name to SamSorry. I was so happy to leave this hotel I felt like I was on Gilligan's Island. I am also contacting the Jamaica Tourist Board and make a formal complaint about SamSara.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank SisterFluffy
NegrilhotelsManager, Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your statements so that readers of this forum can have a fair view from both sides. I will be happy to relate the following information to the Jamaica Tourist Board should they follow up with your concerns.

Your booking was for a standard room with ceiling fan, and therefore this is the room in which you were accommodated. I have double checked the room descriptions on our website and other online selling channels including the one through which you made your booking. It clearly states that this is a non-air conditioned room type with ceiling fan. It is unfortunate that you may have overlooked this printed information, which seems to have contributed to your misunderstanding about having to pay an additional amount for an upgrade to a higher room category, which is normal in the hotel industry.

Towels are in fact changed once daily by the housekeepers without having to bring them to the office. The exception to this is if you require more than one change of towels per day, and/or if the housekeeper cannot locate the unclean towels in your room if you had taken your bath towels to the pool or beach. In either of these cases, we do provide additional towel changes at the front desk for the convenience of our guests.

Regarding the bedding in each room, as it is also stated online and in other printed matter, we have a variety of bedding types in our rooms including 1 king, 2 doubles, etc. We generally receive only the lead passenger’s name for each reservation and therefore do not know until check-in if it is a couple or two persons of the same gender requiring two beds. If we are able to reassign a room on the spot, we are more than happy to do so to insure the comfort of our guests. As you were traveling during the peak Memorial Day period and we were fully booked, we had no other room available the first night. A room change was offered the next day but you opted to stay in that room with the king size bed. We absolutely do not charge any type of fee or surcharge whatsoever for switching rooms based on requests for different bedding.

We thank you for your visit and your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again!