“best 8 days in a long time”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #31 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Syracuse, New York
“best 8 days in a long time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

This hotel stay was my 3rd visit there in the last 8 years. I always stay in a pillar hut and these are truly special. The solitude offered by these pillar huts at the edge of the property gives that little bit of extra quite and wonderful views.
The food, drinks are well worth the cost and the service is above and beyond. That friendly Jamaican smile is on everyones faces and the cheerful greeting start each day on a high note.
I will return again and again because for the bargain price and a great place to stay cannot be beat.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank wanderingbear53

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

We stayed there the last week on June '10. I'd spent a lot of time reading reviews, so I kind of had an idea of what it was going to be like. You have to keep in mind you're going to Jamaica and things there are different.

Hotel: We stayed in an 'Ocean View' Room 204. The back walkway is old and I didn't love it at night by myself. But the room was clean, we had clean towels everyday but one and when I called the front desk they had warm towels at our door in mins. They are constantly clean the grounds. The smaller pool to layout in was in need of some repair, but we didn't really want to spend time there anyway. We loved laying out on the cliffs. The snorkeling was good every time we saw at least 100+ fish, but we've also had better snorkeling in Mexico. The cliff jumping was a blast! The front desk was very helpful and friendly.

Food: Expensive!!! We had no idea it would cost us that much to eat in Jamaica. Choices across the street is a cheaper options (but still spendy for what you get), however the banana pancakes are worth every penny. We also went to Rockhouse for dinner and that was hands down the best food we ate on the entire trip. We took a taxi there, but it really wasnt to far so we just walked back. We also packed 20 bottles of water from home and were so grateful to have those each day.

Legends: We spent two days at Legends and love the option of cliffs one day beach the next, they're two totally different places. One day the beach chairs where full and they quickly set up and extra umbrella and brought out two more chairs. There were two topless ladies there, and really wished they'd just put a top on. It's across the street from Time Square shopping center, so that was nice. We also walked down to the bank one day, it was a long walk but fun to really get a taste of Jamaica. We also bought some fruit from a lady selling it on the beach. Most expensive fruit we've purchased but to have it sliced fresh into a bag was really nice. The shuttle serve between hotels was also very nice!

Transportation: We used Clives to get from the airport to and from the hotel, they were great. We also used a taxi a couple of times from the hotel. Just ask the front desk for a taxi and they usually have one right there.

What I wish I'd know: Take lots of $1, $5 and $10 in US dollars. Every where we went accepts US money and it really would have been easier with US dollars. Lots of sunscreen and not only take your insect repellent but put it on at night, I got eaten alive and itched for days! Also take your own beach towels, they do not provide beach towels.

Overall Samsara is a great place, just remember it's not the Hilton... it's Jamaica. Go with an opened mind and you'll love your vacation.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kpetee
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

We were meant by the friendly staff at Samsara they also upgraded our room w/ air condition no charge! Great! Way to start our vacation. Although we didn’t use the air because they would charge you $15 dollars a day, the ceiling fan did the trick coming from the Midwest this didn’t bother us we’re used to the heat

The staff was very polite and friendly always, our room was cleaned everyday and clean towels, on a side note as to other viewer’s comments about the towels YOU’RE ALL to spoiled for this resort just go with it, why would this upset YOU!! GET OVER IT!! Their just towels!!! Ok I said it! :>)

Food was ok; I had breakfasts and coffee ever morning can’t go wrong with that!! Nice to have coffee in the morning from your deck Ahhhhh!!!! Nice. Sorry Samsara, we want be doing all-inclusive next time due to the fact that we weren’t in the resort 24-24 we ate out most of the time the drinks are ok loved me some Rum Punch!!! Sorry Samsara but outside your gate is where all the best food is… plus we wanted to give back to the community and taste the community.

We also travel the countryside seen the Dunn’s Rive Falls which we will never do again too many people felt like we where at amusement park, but I have to say the experience was nice climbing up the falls you have to have some what courage to do it so that felt good… toured Raging River went to the cave that was also next to the Raging River and part of the river runs though the cave that was Breath Taken!!! Beyond words…. My husband I will never forget… we had a spiritual blessing given to us in the cave in the raging water by our tour guild Dr. Scott this man was so in touch with our African heritage and history of his land and people when he spoke you listened…. I say all African American should experience Jamaica given the fact that we are AFRICANS and trust me you feel like you’re at home, it’s like you belong their…Thank you Doctor Scott! So check out our tour guild Fabian Woodbine of Fabian Tours GREAT GUY!! Look him up….

Cons side: We had ants which was ok hell!! were in the jungle its to be, we laugh about it but they where crawling into the ceiling fan switch box not sure what was in there but that’s where the went, also make sure you don’t leave out any food my husband left chicken bones wrap in tin foil from the night before and they were having a feast!
And also, they didn’t play a lot of Reggae music well they did but just my opinion…. I just didn’t like the mix with American songs being sung like or sound like reggae if that makes since… I really wanted REGGAE music maybe some dancehall, next time we will bring your own no biggie.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deepdimples24
Waterbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

My name is Tim and I was in Negril in begining of jun with my wife Edona, we had a great relaxing vacacion, we stayd at samsara in cliffs in room 4C and we love'd the staff and place in general. This was one of my best vacacions, everyday rooster (coco) would woke me up at 8-9 oclock (even coco was wokeing up late) feed him with sunflowers and hit the bar, all day drink pinas and enjoy the sun of Jam, 2 make the story short its place 2 be.
P.S dont forget the sunflowers, Coco is beatifull rooster that u r gona love it...

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Altamonte Springs, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

I spent 5 nights in a cottage (with a loft) at Samsara, and wanted to jot my thoughts down about this sweet, sweet spot on the cliffs. Just prior to leaving, I read a lot of reviews on here, and I admit, that I was a bit hesitant to arrive -- but I arrived with an open mind and was quite pleased at what the place really was all about.

This was my 12th trip to Jamaica -- but I hadn't been in Negril for over 3 years. This trip was special . . . I was bringing my 17 year old twin daughters and I wanted them to experience Montego Bay and Negril. I chose Samsara because I love the cliffs -- and I wanted the ability to also take my daughters to the 7 mile beach. Samsara's free shuttle worked out wonderfully (although I will admit tht Legends is on the quiet end of the beach and I prefer the Margaritaville area). Either way though, we were good!!!

When we arrived at Samsara, it had a strange "vibe" to it -- and the employees seemed a bit stand-offish . . . or, perhaps, I was -- because the transition from MoBay to the cliffs was huge, LOL. Once given the opportunity, I will tell you that the staff was helpful, friendly, and very nice. They answered questions and went out of their way to help me book tours -- and even order a pizza delivered for my daughters.

The cottage was spotless -- roomy, and cool (yes, we had A/C). We had a steady, over-abundance of towels (moreso than we ever got an the all-inclusive in MoBay) -- and the place was SO quiet!!! The afternoon traffic to and from Rick's is a bit noisy, but honestly, it quiets right down -- and we slept beautifully and uninterrupted here!!!

The grounds were immaculate and well kept!! We were too nervous to jump in and swim off the cliffs -- but there were people doing it all day!!!!

We went to Legends and had breakfast . . . the food was very good, although a tad pricey. For the convenience, however, it was fine. We ate for about $10 per person, including juice and coffee and a medley of fruit. The "vibe" at Legends was nice . . . the waitress (Tiffany) was the best!!!!!

So my only real "feedback" is that when we arrived at Samsara, there was a bit of topless sunbathing going on. I know that on the cliffs, anything goes -- but I wish there was a separate spot for folks to bare themselves. My daughters are 17, so we were okay with it, but would've preferred a "head's up" instead of the surprise we got. And last -- we paid $2.50 at Samsara and $3 at Legends for a bottle of soda . . . when we could've gone across the street to Choices and gotten it for 75 cents! Since I was staying at Samsara, I would've preferred to buy things there, but due to the prices of food and drink, I often went across the street for both.

Yes -- great location, decent rate for the cottage, good people. I will definitely return!!!! Thanks, Samsara, for the great vacation spot!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

Our family of six which included mum dad, a teenager ,a child of 7 years and 2 grandparents one in a wheel chair, stayed at Samsara for 14 nights in superior rooms with a/c overlooking the ocean ,on a breaksfast plan allowing us the freedom to eat out during the day. The breakfast was excellent providing a good variety and a filling start to the day.

We have stayed at many hotels within Negril over the course of 7 years, Samsara was our first on the cliffs and the best value for money by far. The location was fantastic watching the sunset and rise every day, the hotel was perfect for snorkeliing and the grounds of the hotel were safe and clean with all the staff being freindly and polite ensuring that they knew our names and always enquring after our welfare. We ate lunch on some occassions and had dinner once at the hotel all again offered good quality food at good value for money. I had read other reviews and was glad to haved packed our own towels as room service was often not completed until mid afternnoon.

The hotel is within good location of other eating spots the 'Three Dives', 'Choices' across the road and the 'Hungry Lion' all excellent value of local good cuisine. I would recommend this hotel to people looking for a good quality standard ( ask for a/c and ocean view) with excellent value for money.

The hotel offers daily transport to the beach which we did not need to take advantage of as we had our own transport. We have statyed at Legends previously and while the staff are very freindly and the location on the beach is perfect ,the choice of facilities at Samsara is of a better quality as it offers spa and massage as well as a diving school. I would recommend Samsara over Legends but if you want to sample beach life and do not have access to your own transport than split your stay a week at each, if however you have your own transport or need to choose I would recommend Samsara over Legends. Legends is not as quiet as its beach location means you hear all the nightly events/ shows that rota nightly on the beach if you are looking for entertainment on your door step than Legends should be your choice. If you are looking for piece and quiet with perfect surroundings than Samsara offers this.

Francis Family
London June 2010

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandra201014
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2010

I arrived at samsara on 5\23\10 and to my surprise we were told that in order to have the air condition turned on in our room we would have to pay an extra $18.00 a day for the air. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I go to Jamaica every year and not once did I ever had to buy air. Also the towel situation was not great you had to ask for towels and wash cloths, one of the bed spring was sprung so my girlfriend and I had to share a bed, no entertainment, what they called entertainment was two men, one playing a gaiter and the other one beating on a man mad instrument and that was a one time thing the food was horrible, no ice buckets in room barmaid was upset when we kept asking for ice. If you really wanted something you had to pay extra for it. I really felt bad because this was my girlfriend first time in Jamaica and it turned out to be a big mess. Only one shuttle to the beach which left at 10:am and returned at 4:pm so if you missed the shuttle, you were on your own. The food was horrible so eat out,the best place to eat is 3 Dive best Grilled Lobster ever. Although this was a cheap trip, and yes you get what you pay for Samsara is not the place to go. Run from this place.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank disappointed019

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels