“Wonderful place- views, food, people,”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #31 of 85 Hotels in Negril
West Tisbury, Massachusetts
“Wonderful place- views, food, people,”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

I am about to spend my third vacation at the Samsara Resort. We stayed at many places in Jamaica, and this was the most reasonably priced for all that it offers. Friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mak1219

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Polish first
OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

Year after year we return to Samsara and every year is better than the last. They are always making improvements to the property and the staff is warm and friendly. The cliffside cottages are comfortable, spacious, and a nice change from the standard hotel room. The all inclusive package is an amazing value that allows for a worry free vacation. Tips are not required but I strongly recommend it - the staff deserve it! Snorkeling off the cliffs is beautiful and the sunsets are unforgettable. This resort is small enough and quiet enough for you to enjoy one on one time but the bar is a great place to get to know others visiting Negril. If you want rich and snotty, go to one of the brand all-inclusives, but if you want to enjoy Negril and have a relaxing, affordable Caribbean vacation, you'll love Samsara. Can't wait until our next trip!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mstOK
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

We booked this hotel for the second week of our stay in jamaica,
It was supposed to be an "all inclusive" hotel wich sounded great to us after we been stayin for a week in the "jungle" with no freshwater and such.
We arrived to samsara resort and was super dissapointed with mostly the food..
Terrible, We expected some descent jamaican cuisine,And got to chose between a
microwaved pizza and some other frozen stuff!
Other then that it was ok, Nothing more,Nothing less!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank JoxS

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Boulder, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

I stayed here for three nights during what's considered off-season in Jamaica. The hotel has basic hotel rooms and very unique cabanas sitting up high on stilts, as well as their own restaurant and bar, and a nice pool area, and cliffs right on the ocean for 10-15 foot jumps into the water. Even though there's no beach there, lots of space to spread out on the property for plenty of privacy if you need it.
I chose the hotel room, and got a great price online ($60/nt.), probably because of the time of year. The cabanas would be a great option if you are able to afford the price range - very unique - look at the pictures. I was very impressed with the hotel and the grounds were very well kept up with extensive landscaping and everything on the property was always very clean. The food at the restaurant was average, but nice to have the option on-site. Nice open air bar where I drank lots of Red Stripes and met many great people - both locals and tourists.
Other restaurants are within walking distance, but the road on the cliffs is very narrow - be careful if you're walking. if you plan to go up to Rick's Cafe(which is definitely a touristy spot), definitely take a taxi to avoid the walk. Overall, Samsara is a very good option and a nice respite from 7 Mile Beach and its numerous peddlers. The "cliffs" area of Negril is much more laid back and relaxing than staying on the beach and I would highly recommend this spot for staying on the cliffs!

Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank MtnMan007
NOTTINGHAM
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

I had read the reviews and was a little worried, and it turns out with good reason,
The rooms are clean, the cleaners do the rooms and change the towels every day but the rooms are very very shabby, the air con is so noisy its like sleeping with a car engine in the room.
The draws had a glass top and this was ant infested, the cleaners put the pillows on there while they made the bed each day and so every night there were ants in the bed.
There is no lighting from the rooms to the bar and the stairs are very poorly lite making it quiet dangerous.
Both pools were only hoovered once in our 2 week stay, but more worrying was the fact that they threw chemicals into the pool at night without doing a dip test to see what was needed, too little and germs breed in the water and too much and some one is going to end up with skin burns, the tiles are coming off the floor and you walk round picking them up with your toes and the top two or three steps into the larger pool has none left at all and is just bare concrete, some of the floor is quiet sharp.
The bar leaves a lot to be desired, yet again no lighting around the seating area, and a 2 man band for entertainment once a week for an hour, and they come round with a tip box half way through, very poor.
The bar did not open till 10am so you could not even get water, and it closed at 10pm so if you did want to stay up you could not get a drink of anything,
Some of the staff were really nice, both in the bar and in the restraunt, but some were a little unfriendly
The food is a shock, I have stayed at a few all inclusive and this is way past poor, one night was rice, pasta, carrot and pork, I do not eat pork and there is nothing else unless you wanted to pay.
Every lunch is chips, pizza and toasted cheese sandwich, oh and cake, it may be a different colour each day but it all tastes the same.
The lighting to eat is terrible you cannot see what you are eating, but maybe that is not such a bad thing.
Breakfast is the best meal of the day, they do a mean egg selection but that is all.
The rusty ladders into the sea were changed while we were there.
I had looked forward to going for such a long time and was so very shocked and horrified with the hotel, If I could have got on the next plane home I would have without a second thought, I did not want a marble palace but when you pay such a lot of money and extra to upgrade your room to superiour you do expect far more than we got.
The gift shop is a joke, and you have to pay for every thing, very little is included in the package and we paid for the top level, £4 for water, just so dissapointed
It is such a shame, the Samsara has so much potential if just a little money was spent, solar lighting on the paths, a little entertainment, some shade over any area during the day, there was no escape from the sun unless you sat in the bar or your room and lighting over the raised area, and a real look at the menu, the peace and quiet was the only good thing and the samsara had nothing to do with that its just so far away from anywhere that noise does not get to you.
If you want to sunbathe and be in bed by 10 every night, have your drinks in plastic cups then this is the place for you, if you want anything more, really dont go

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BUMPY64
Vineland, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

I was very disappointed with the room and the Hotel staff. The staff was rude, pools filthy, ladders on the cliff rusted and lopsided . Not much of a menu selection. I had to call the booking agent to change hotels because SamSara was giving me the runaround and said the sister hotel was booked and it would be two days befor they consider my transfer request. I just left Legends and they had 15 empty rooms and could accommodate me. The agent got in touch with them and my hotel was changed in 5 mins.The highlight of my trip was changing my hotel to Legends (the sister hotel on the beach).

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank Flower4u321
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

The terrible reviews on this hotel are accurate. If you see the responses don't believe them. How is it that so many customers are complaining about the same thing and the hotel keeps saying this is untrue. My vacation: I called the hotel to inform them that I would arrive late. Spoke to the reservation agent who said fine. When I arrived my room was gone.. I spoke to the front desk and the girl said her manager who never showed her face until I got irate said there was nothing they could do. So I told the manager to come out and be professional and speak to me. Pauline Dias the manager came out with a frown that would scare any tourist and said there was no room because I didn't show up. Well what in Gods name was I doing staring in her face??? Duh!!! To make a long story short I called Travelocity who stated the hotel said I never showed up.. I laughed and hung up. Needless to say I now have to dispute it with my bank. If you are homeless sleep on the beach before you go here. This hotel is at the end of Negril by nothing of interest. Choose a hotel that is closer to everything. The staff is rude and very unfriendly. Good luck if you stay here and I will pray for you. Also if you book with anyone besides them you get a room with no a/c. Anyone in there right mind knows that you don't stay anywhere in Jamaica without a/c.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jalaa3
NegrilhotelsManager, General Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2010
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your post. You did in fact advise our reservations department that you would arrive one day late, and we were happy to hold your room until the next day. You then called again to say you may not arrive at all, and requested if another person could stay in your place. We agreed to your request and held the room for the other party, who also did not show up on the date you indicated. It is important to understand that when you finally arrived it was two full days later than your original arrival date, by which time you were considered a "no-show" and the room was released. A hotel cannot hold a room indefinitely for customers who do not arrive. It was impossible to continue holding your room any further in the absence of some clear communication from you regarding your actual arrival date. Furthermore, since you did not stay at the hotel at all, it is unreasonable to have any impression of our service and facilities. We do however hope you enjoyed your stay in Jamaica and look forward to welcoming you again soon!