“Do not stay here...Please believe this post. I am not even a complaining type person”

Samsara Cliffs Resort
Ranked #33 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Run.

My husband and I booked this hotel for our honeymoon. big mistake.

The area is very ghetto. The pictures on the website make the resort look clean and nice. Well...it isn't. We were supposed to get a honeymoon treehouse on the ocean. we arrived at the resort and they walked us across the street to a run down hotel (away from the ocean.) We saw RATS outside our door. The hotel itself looked like the Red Roof Inn on crack. There was no air condition AT ALL and it was hot and muggy. We had one washcloth. The freakin' curtains were hanging up by a piece of thread! The windows had screens over them that were broken and tiny bugs were coming in.

My husband and I left the resort early the next morning and spent close to $1,000 on another resort location. I am not even a stuck up person or a complainer but this hotel was nasty. The people at the hotel looked trashy as well. They were all drunk and smoking weed. If you are a party person and all you do is get bombed, you might not mind the nastyness, otherwise, run away!

3 Thank pippigirl4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Polish first
Howell, Michigan
Reviewed 22 February 2011

So, it's been 10 years since we've been back to Negril. We shouldn't have waited so long. We knew of Samsara from our past visits. Walking past on a search for off the beaten path food. We always found it in the cliffs! Good food, that is. Anyway, we have stayed at 5 star resorts in Mexico and it's been good. And we have stayed at 0 star places on the beach in Negril. So .. with that said .. always remember you are getting what you pay for! And Samsara was a fabulous stay for the money we put in! We went with the all-inclusive plan cuz' we knew what we would drink in alcohol would be worth the extra. And a handy meal is nice too. I was worried about the strict dining hours .. (I'm an evening snacker!) but it really was not a problem. I was never wanting for food or drink. The atmosphere of the place was sooo relaxing. People would be hanging out on their porches, or in the pool area. Everyone greeted each other throughout the day. The room was comfortable and clean. Not spotless .. if your one that wants to have every crevice and corner clean till it shines .. well you need to lower your standards. We also chose to stay on the ocean side of the resort. It wasn't that much more to spend and it was worth every cent to hear the ocean and see the sunsets. I believe our rooms were "labeled" as superior ocean view. Fresh towels were brought every day. The bed is a bit hard .. but we were able to sleep just fine! We brought old beach towels from home .. as did many others. I felt I could leave them if I needed too. There is water available all day .. from a cooler. We took our own water bottles and drink cups to have refilled as needed. It worked out great! We left them for the staff that seemed to really like them. If you want coffee before 8am .. bring your own coffee maker. The meals are real Jamaican foods. It does get to be the same "old thing" if you choose to eat only there on the inclusive plan. But it is a meal. There are many good, inexpensive restaurants within walking distance. Scout around on a mid day walk about .. you'll be surprised at all there is. The locals are friendly but they do want to sell you something. We have always found that a kind " not today" or " we're just on a walk today" works wonders! The sister resort, Legends, is good for a change of pace. We liked the shuttle that got us to the beach. Then we would just walk for the day. There isn't much beach space at all if you like to lay in a chair and sun bathe. Stay at Samsara for this. You will be able to touch your nieghbor. But the beach atmosphere is totally different from the cliffs. If you want a true Jamaican pattie .. walk down to Niah's . Any of the Jamaicans can tell you where it is. The patties are the best I've ever had! In short .. we had a much more enjoyable time staying at Samsara than we expected! We will certainly go back again! Oh, the staff .. I almost forgot! They were fabulous .. soooo friendly and helpful. When the staff seems to be enjoying their job and their surroundings .. something is certainly right! Diane, Kimesha, Owayne and Lorraine were just a few that gave us daily smiles and made us feel welcome. Did I mention you can snorkel whenever you want .. right off the ledge of the resort? You can! And it is great! If you are adventurous .. give Samsara a try. I think you will enjoy it as much as we did! Jack Daniel and The Cat Lady!

Madison, Wi
Reviewed 17 February 2011

This was our third and final visit to Samsara. By now, you all know about rock-hard beds, high drink prices, dangerous traffic and the wonderful views. But- you may not know about the owner, whom I seriously believe to be deranged. On our second day, I lost the charger to my rented cell phone in the hotel restaurant. I returned twice to look for it, and the second time encountered an older man who said he was the owner, and who looked in the kitchen and returned with a charger. We agreed it may or may not have been mine, but it fit and I left him with my room number in case it turned out not to be the one I'd lost. Fast-forward two days, and he's hunting me down, accusing me of stealing his charger and insisting I return it THIS INSTANT. Shocked, I agreed to return it, and when I did, he harangued me for several more minutes, threatened me with how "powerful" he is, how he was sorry to have helped me (!) and how he got rich on stupid Americans, etc. I shoved it in his hand, he then decided to grab and pinch my cheeks HARD, and then pulled me toward him for a kiss. Unbelievable!

Although I called the front desk and insisted on speaking to the manager, the manager is his wife, and she had HIM call me back. That was not helpful, especially when he asked if he could come up to my room to 'talk'. We should have moved hotels, because it truly destroyed our vacation, with me literally hiding from him, afraid of being further accosted. I'm still shocked that NO ONE ever apologized to me for his behavior. That says so much more about Samsara than anything I could ever tell you.

2 Thank MissDiaz-7
NegrilhotelsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Samsara Cliffs Resort, responded to this review, 25 February 2011
Thank you for your post and repeat business. My co-workers and I have been trained to provide friendly service to our guests 365 days per year, here on the beautiful island of Jamaica. It is upsetting to know that one of our guests had such a bad perceived experience at our establishment, and I truly hope you provide us with an opportunity to make amends one day. I begin my humble response by conveying that it is rather difficult to follow your logic. Specifically, you commence with the fact that it was your third visit to our resort, and then proceed immediately to describe how much you disliked it. I find myself searching for a rational explanation for why you would choose to visit a place you disliked so passionately, for a third time. It must also be stated for the record that your account of events surrounding the loss of your phone charger, and subsequent lending of one to you by the owner of our resort, bears more resemblance to an excerpt from a mafia novel than actual reality. Evidently you are upset, but with all due respect your comments are so emotionally charged that they negate the value of this website as a source of real information for travelers, as opposed to a platform for you to levy a personal attack on a gentleman who made the error of going out of his way to lend you a phone charger. Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

schertz
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We booked this last minute so it was our own fault, but from the jump off it was obvious we were gonna be nickle and dimed for everything. Its was inclusive so you dont expect everday costs like water (had to buy bottled as they dont provide and the room water was horrible), food (they had a buffet, and the options sound good but they dont know how to cook as everyhing was extremely greasy, or burnt). Theres also no fridge in room so you cant load up on bottled water to be comfortable, and it is extremely dangerous to walk to local markets as streets are small and drivers very aggresive(honeymooning couple was killed (by local motorist) day before my arrival walking these small streets) hotel does provide a taxi which they claim will cost 5$ each way to go into town. The hotel has a restaurant across the street, but the food A) took forever, B) was mediocre, and C) was extremely expensive We got what was supposed to be the second best room available, but it didnt have ac and I have asthma. So for an additional 35 dollars a day I got an ac room for 3 out of the 5 nights, and a promise that we could get another one on day 4 and 5. As it was 3 of our neighbor rooms were leaving the day we needed to change rooms, and they as well as we repeatedly asked the desk if we could get those rooms to no avail. They also refused to refund us our money on the nights we werent gonna be there (we had to go to a another hotel that had ac in room). With all the options that Negril has this place should be out of business

3 Thank pizzaluv
Boonton, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 February 2011

More like an upscale backpackers hostle than resort, great budget place to stay in Negril.
The property was lush with different types of tropical trees and plants, was clean as was the room, which was on the "garden side." Negril is a bit out of the way, so there was not to much action going on as far as what a large city would have to offer. More laid back, relaxing, rather than a party atmosphere, etc... was interesting meeting the locals who could be a bit of a hassle at times, aggressively trying to sell you their trinkets.

There is a guy that comes around in a small glass bottom boat at the edge of the cliffs in the morning and for a small charge takes people up the coastline and stops at a few locatotions which provide wonderful snorkeling opportunities, so that is much recomended. Definately be at the cliffs around sunset, AMAZING!
Good little restaurant to the left and just a short walk up the street when you leave the front desk. If you want a bit more to do, definately take one of the day trips that can be accessed from the resort, such as the Appleton Rum Factory tour, YS falls, etc...renting a scooter would be recomended to to help extend yourself a bit further up the street to the very small center of town, and possibly (for the adventurous) to Montego Bay, but beware, the drivers are a bit on the "wild" side and drive on the left.
The resort has a sister hotel called "Legends" which has a shuttle every morning and then back at night. The beach there is amazingly beautiful, named "Seven Mile Beach." You can enjoy cocktails at the beach bar, jet ski, swim. It's a great to walk up a ways if you don't mind the occasional "hard sell" from the locals that are selling thier arts and crafts here too.
Wow, some even smoke "weed" right on the beach if you are so inclined.

All in all it was a nice resort, "no problems wit anyting mon"

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mickaus2015
england
Reviewed 12 February 2011

you can not call this hotel alinclusive it was discustin staff was pleasent but you no what they was after money money money my room bad and i mean bad same sheets for days came in one day found [--] on my pillow bath room horribly dirty go out on my balcony only thing i saw was trees not a garden view could not see anythink i payed 3500 pound for this holiday and nothink for it my 2 children 11 12 i felt so sorry for them there was nothink for them only a dirty pool no sports no entertainment nothink i feel like crying saved up really hard for this holiday it was 1 year to the date when i went to my fathers death because i took my fathers ashes back last year to jamaica and i stop at riu beautiful hotel but could not afford that this year 25th jan my kids was really up set i had to go to supermarket every day to buy pop because bar never open till 10 and finished at 10 no drinks till 8 in the morning or i would have to buy them till 11 why should i when it surpose to be alinclusive food what can i say sick of seeing chicken chicken chicken they seved you you could not serve yourself i was sick of asking for more one spoonful of everythink i deseve to get my money back and im going to try to its my kids i feel sorry for out of all this and then a stranger wonder into the hotel taking photos of my kids and they did nothink not ring the police or anythink my children was the only kids there this hotel is not for kids and then we had to pay 300 us dollars for air con and safety deposit box any other alinclusive hotels in jamaica i have been in i have not payed for ac or safty deposit box and iv been to jamaica 8 times and every time alinclusive this was bad and i mean bad never again they should not advertise it as family because its not we was only english there as well

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank chez6666
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2011

The hotel is not your usual All Inclusive, but like a homey one. The place is kind of magic, it's over the cliffs of Negril, so you can snorkel (even dive) right from the hotel.

The food was home mada, not as many options as in a fancier A/I but charming. The drinks were nice. There is always nice reagge in the bar.

The place is beautiful and very calm. There0s a shuttle to the hotel partner hotel in the sandy beaches of Negril (Legend's). I would recommend you to stay at the Samsara if you are looking for peace and relaxation.

In general, I really liked the place, it was very very charming. The only issue were the rooms. During the day, the temperature is nice and you can rest OK, but due to the poor isolation and the materials of the building, the rooms get extremely hot and I couldn't sleep well at all. I guess that by openning the windows, it would have make it better, but I got bitten by many mosquitos, so just bring a GOOD anti-mosquitos.

If I went back, I would probably go for a pillar house, that don't have A/C but look amazing from the outside, they are made out of wood and they have anti-bugs nets on the windows, so I guess the temperatura must be great at night.

The hotel is a short ride away from Rick's Café; a must-see in Negril.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple