Message from TripAdvisor:

Review of Negril Beach Club

Negril Beach Club
Ranked #18 of 51 Speciality Lodging in Negril
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this place three trips in the past four years. It was great the first stay. Clean room, decent view, clean grounds, and a good restaurant and bar. I stayed in the C building, second floor and liked my room. Stayed at the property with a group of 9.

Stayed again and it wasn't the best but still decent. This time there were cats everywhere. I hate cats and people are feeding them Thanksgiving style plates, no wonder why they are not leaving. Crabs walking the grounds at night chasing you. Stayed in the C building again, second floor as well but a couple of doors over from the last visit. I liked the fact that Lingah was still open as well as the bar. It was nice to see a familiar face again (Terry).

On the bad note, I was originally placed in the D or E building, third floor. The room was very, very stuffy, tight, and the ceiling fan looked like it would propel off and kill me in my sleep. The back sliding door did not lock properly either so I was moved into the C building. I also did not enjoy the fact that wifi no longer worked in the C building nor the office downstairs. It was a treat to be able to go to the office with your laptop and handle business. You were now required to purchase a wifi card for $12 a day, which did not always work. I purchased three but did not get the full three days as it was down a lot. Because of this, I would have to sit on the side of the building in the middle of the night feeding the Mosquitos. The store downstairs opened whenever it wanted to as well as closed when it wanted. Luckily there was another store opened on the property we could go to.

This most recent trip, a COMPLETE mess! It seems like it gets worse and worse over time. I was brought to the C building again, this time third floor. First, the door handle to the room was broken and hanging off. That was a bad sign from the beginning. I could not seem to settle in and feel comfortable with that, despite being told it would be fixed the next day. If you know it's not fully secure, why would you put someone there? A family friend came by to see where I was stating and immediately said they were going to get my room changed. They first spoke of the handle and then the stench of something dead in the walls. They said it smelled of the Walking Dead in there! Another person in our party of 9, tried to open the back sliding door and had to rock it open and couldn't get it to close back. I was changed to the next room (D building, second floor) which was like walking down the creepiest of creepy alleys paranoid that something is going to jump out and get it you. The room was completely closed up as if no one had been in there in months. Everything had to be plugged up from the fridge, lights, A/C...everything. It smelled so bad, not like death this time, more like a very stuffy, mildew-ish odor. It was a bigger room, which I appreciated so I dealt with it.

I checked out the bathroom first which had bugs in the tub and sinks. In the bedroom there were two beds, which was great yet did not feel comfortable letting my little guy sleep under a water damaged spot on the ceiling. Instead he slept in the living room where the television was. I was going to have him sleep on the bed near the door but it had no sheets on it. I can't even tell you about the patio because I was too scared to open the door.

Again, cats everywhere and they've multiplied. More crabs, almost every time I walked at night to go to my room, one was running near me. The jacuzzi was closed the entire time of my stay, though I wasn't interested in using it. Lingah is now gone, it's owned by Sondru's now which does not have consistent hours at the restaurant or the bar. Terry is also no longer working there :(

As explained in this review, this is the reason why I will not be back. I understand that it is not a high end resort and the price is what it is. My first stay was great and awesome that it is right on the beach. I loved it! But it's just too many things now, the condition of the grounds and the rooms, amenities and the whole experience. It's unfortunate.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank mortj14

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Nice clean hotel friendly staff, and good food. Enjoyed our two weeks here the beach was lovely. Loved Jamaica and will go back again. If you just want to laze at the pool or on the beach it's ideal. Heard before we went that mozzies were a problem but even not using a repellant I never got bitten once or saw anybody with bites. Only negative and that's not the hotel if you want to do any of the trips it's over 3.5 hours to Dunns River Falls and about 4.5hours to Nine Miles(Bob Marley's) mausoleum. But overall loved the hotel and staff and place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have stayed here a few times and always get a different apartment. It is very clean and well equipped. Most apartments belong to private owners so every one is different. Great location on the beach, away from the noise but close enough to the action.
Staff are very nice and helpful and we have always had a very pleasant stay.
I love the fact we have a good kitchen and balcony.
The beach is on your doorstep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the beach
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was our third stay at NBCC and the best room thus far. We had a studio I believe this time with a kitchenette and 2 double beds but no living area. The room was dated and sparse but what does one expect for 70 a night. The beach is a very short walk away,the courtyard is beautiful, and the covered patio area is great. Also we would highly recommend Kenny Salmon for taxi and tour needs,876-384-1371. He is honest, fun, reliable, reasonably priced, and will go above and beyond to give you the Jamaican experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deb D
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed here in January 2014 as our friends have been staying here for many,many years now.......says something right there.

The Condo rentals:
There are several options at Negril Beach Club. There are Studios w/kitchenettes, 1 or 2 bedrooms with kitchenettes. Some of the condos are in better condition than others as many are privately owned ( so depends what has been put into them), but rented out by local owner/Manager. Contrary to what has been written in a previous review, Jean is a very dedicated person to this property and if you rent from her you WILL be looked after.

We got a studio/kitchenette this year and I was very impressed. Clean, comfy a/c worked, fridge and stove worked great, had an AWESOME coffee maker, microwave etc!! and our view was awesome. The key reason for renting a condo with kitchenette is that you can go and shop in town(which is a 5 minute walk or a $4 cab) to get your booze and food for at least a week. We got a $7 bag of High Mountain coffee which lasted just about 14 days and was fantastic to drink a cup right on our deck and gaze at the beautiful grounds and Ocean......
Food/Booze options:
Buying your own food for breakfasts, lunches and dinner is the way to go. You decide when you want to eat and what you want to eat. You can bring your cooler and drinks to the beach or buy from the bar. Either way cheap. Then later in the afternoon you can wander down 7 Mile Beach and eat and/drink anything you like. The prices vary depending on what you want. So many neat places to check out, but most have excellent prices so it is better than eating at an all inclusive with the same thing day in/day out.

Restaurant/Bar on site:
There were new owners this year who took over the Restaurant/Bar and they were amazing. Food was great and drinks were cheap. We wish them all the best and will see them next year!
Beach:
NEgril Beach Club has one of the BEST beaches on the 7 Mile Strip. Shade and Sun so a spot for everyone!! There are fellas there who will make sure your chair is clean and sitting in the sand for you every morning as well. They also ensure that you are not bothered by people walking by trying to sell you everything under the sun, however, if you just say "no mon" they nod and move on. No big deal.
Location:
The best!! Not too far away from the Live Reggae bars, but far enough that it doesn't keep you up at night EVERY night. 5 min walk into town and close cab rides to the very east end or the Cliffs. So many restaurants and bars to visit and sample that after two years we still have not seen them all. And it's not crowded and crazy either!!! Just neat!!! And sometimes you find a favorite place and go back to it a few times!!!
Overall:
Going this way is an incredible way to see Jamaica. You get a feel for the people and the beautiful Island.This was our second year and will not be our last. I must also say that it is not a dangerous place. I feel comfortable there. Like anywhere you go, you must be on guard. Common sense needs to be used, travel in groups of two or more after dark and always be aware of what is going on.( I don't walk downtown/sketchy areas in Edmonton in the dark alone, so why do that in a foreign Country!!!!)

For two of us for 14 days from Edmonton, Canada we broke it down as follows:
Flights- $1300 ( waited for great deals and booked online)
Accommodation - $1400 (good idea to contact Jean well ahead of time especially if you go Dec-March which is high season.)
Food/Booze (and we did not suffer AT ALL) - $1400 (budget for $100/day and eat and drink VERY well)
Total = $4100 for 2 weeks of complete relaxation and great times!!
And could be cheaper if we cooked a couple dinners at the condo!!!
Remember to book through Jean Gaynair and she and her lovely staff will give you a great holiday!!!! Until next year..........................

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Heidi G
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriends and we loved it! The fact that you can rent your own condo right on the beach is amazing. The condo had a kitchen, a nice bathroom, a room with two beds, and a spacious living room with tv couch and extra bed. The outside patio was the perfect place to eat our meals, hang out and watch the sea. We didn't expect there to be cleaning services but the nice ladies came daily and cleaned our sandy messes lol. The kitchen amenity is great because you can make your own meals and drinks and save tons of money from going out for every meal. The beds were comfortable with fresh sheets daily. Our condo was closest to the beach and it was the best. What is better than waking up and walking onto the beautiful 7 mile beach :) another good thing is the location of the condos. Since they are towards the start of the beach, it is not as crowded and a walking distance to everything. Like a 5-10 min walk into town, 5 min walk to Bourbon Beach, 15 min to Alfred's; just perfect location.
Overall, we will definitely stay in these condos again and recommend them for anyone wanting to stay on the beach.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Our group of 4 recently spent 9 nights in a 2 bedroom @ NBCC. The room was clean and well maintained. The bathrooms and kitchen are dated. We had an issue with no hot water our first day, but reported it to Deandra and it was fixed within a few hours. The water pressure wasn't great all of the time either. Other than those 2 issues and the fact there were only 2 spoons in the kitchen. Our room was perfect. 2 bedrooms each with it's own bathroom separated by the living room. Great set up for 2 couples. The staff was friendly and helpful as always. Great budget property.

Room Tip: If at all possible ask for a room with an ocean/beach view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple