“Relaxing, comfortable, and safe--not fancy”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Nirvana on the Beach
Ranked #17 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 30 July 2011

My husband and I have been staying at Nirvana for 20 years, always right after Christmas. What we love about Nirvana is that it is peaceful and relaxing and safe. It is a small compound of different-sized places to stay. There is no radio or TV or bar or restaurant (though there is WiFi), and non-guests are not permitted on the premises. The units are comfortable and clean but not fancy, and some of them have fans instead of AC. There are security guards in front and in back 24/7 and they keep non-guests and hagglers away. The grounds and units are tended to by local Jamaicans who have worked at Nirvana for many years. Those are things that we love about Nirvana and why we keep returning. However, there are people who want luxury accommodations with every amenity on site, or an all-inclusive experience. They should stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LauraBloomington_IN

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I most recently stayed at Nirvana again this past June 2011....this was our 3rd or 4th time there in the past 15 years. I am writing specifically to communicate to Trip Advisor readers about the Nirvana experience and Negril
I went back this past year, after a long absence, because I was seeking to return to one of the greatest beaches in the world. For the past 10 years, we have been traveling the world,5-star style, and the more upscale islands....but the casual easygoing culture of Jamaica called me back.
Nirvana was as wonderful as ever! I just had to breathe into the Negril way of life once more.
I choose to stay in the Veranda Suite....it is a very large tiled space with a wonderful large deck facing the ocean. I avoid the cabins because I prefer Air Conditioning...especially in the summertime.....but I would certainly stay in a cabin if I did not require air conditioning to get a good night of sleep. The cooking facilities are better in the cabins, as I took a tour of several of them this visit when I was considering if I would be comfy in a cabin.
The Veranda room is as clean and tidy as nearly any privately run compound hotel in Jamaica can be...the staff is well trained by the owners to be attentive and detail oriented. They respond quickly to every question and request....we could not get the toaster to work the first day, but it turned out to be a wobbly electrical current in Negril....nothing to do with the toaster...and the next day it worked! I also love how large the Verandah is and the hugeness of the bathroom, plus a bidet, and another separate walk in room for clothing + a second sink. I never feel cramped in this room. The outdoor shower is a romantic plus!
The kitchenette is a plus. I was able to crank out some delicious meals, after buying fish, squid, and vegetables and fruit on the beach.
I always love the fresh squeezed OJ the Nirvana ladies leave in the refrig upon request --- just ask and they will bring in a bag of oj from the mountains. I go through 2 bags a week. ( yes cost extra and well worth it! )
If you are seeking the real Negril experience on the famous 7 mile beach....then this is a fantastic choice and a great place to stay. The security is awesome and I feel safe with my possessions here. The guard sits in the guard house 24 hours a day, to ensure nobody who is not a guest, enters the grounds.
I do want to say that if you are seeking a luxury hotel...then go to the Ritz Carlton... If you are seeking the elite french flavor of a hooty tooty island...then go to St Barths. If you want 6 star attention and treatment, then cruise on the Seadream Yacht, If you want to be shielded from the Jamaican culture.....then choose a standard all-inclusive and stay within the gates and the grounds! Don't come to Nirvana in Negril expecting South Beach Florida, or Hilton Head NC....and then get unhappy and disgruntled. Don't come here expecting tv and America. Just stay home instead.
But....if you are the kind of casual, open minded, adventuresome person who is comfortable with getting to know and understand the Negril and Jamaican culture, who wants to spend a vacation without shoes, and never having to get out of a bathing suit, and you are aware in advance that this is not the Westin or the Hilton....then I highly recommend Nirvana! The longer you stay at Nirvana, the more you will grow to love Negril, and the better and more homey Nirvana becomes !
When I see the beautiful gates of Nirvana, I am glad to have chosen it!

Room Tip: I would choose the owners house if avail. Next choice is Veranda.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LBLBCharleston_SC
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Had a wonderful stay at one of the cottages. Great beach and the grounds of Nirvana are beautiful. If your lucky and the owners, Lonnie and Stan are there, that much better. Great value.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Had a great time last year....thanx for reserving the same great cottage for me again...the friends that I recommend you to told me your place was the best...keep up the good work
jerry

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at Nirvana in their Verandah Suite, and we cannot say enough good things about our stay. From the professional and very courteous staff to the beautifully kept grounds, the place is simply amazing. Compared to other properties, Nirvana has a fairly broad expanse of beach front property with just the right amount of trees for shade. The staff took good care of not just us, but good care of everyone. Thanks, Nirvana, for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kahamilt
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I booked this place because of all the great reviews it has gotten on TripAdvisor. For the first time ever, TripAdvisor let me down.

The first issue I have with this "resort" is that the owners require you to pay for your full stay in advance, and the payment is non-refundable unless you cancel 60 days in advance, and only if they are able to re-rent the space. This is a recipe for disaster because, as it happened to us, if you arrive and hate the place, you're stuck with a non-refundable stay.

With regard to the actual resort, THIS PLACE IS A DUMP.

First of all, we arrived to the resort at about 6:30 p.m., and the manager had already left home for the evening. We would have appreciated at least a call from the manager wondering if we were okay before she left home. We were left to wander around and ask guests how to check in. We were eventually directed to the security guard, who opened the cottage for us.

The cottage itself was a dump. NO AIR CONDITIONING! This despite the fact that we specifically reserved an air conditioned cottage. Mind you, this was in the middle of July with temperature in the 90's. Also, NO TELEVISION SET! That's right, not even a tiny 19" set . . . nothing! They don't warn you about this on their website or when you book. To make matters worse, the cottage was in a state of disrepair. The bathroom was tiny and it looked like it was last remodeled in the 1960's. The bathroom came complete with yellowing towels!

Completely disappointed with the cottage, we wandered to the beach to check out the sights. We were immediate attacked by hagglers looking to sell us stuff. Where is all that extensive security that they brag about in their website and in the reviews?? Must have been break time.

Needless to say, we didn't even unpack. Thankfully, we had an awesome tour guide who recommended a couple of nearby resorts right on Negril beach. We booked one of those resorts, and the trip was thankfully saved.

That very night, I e-mailed the owner of "Nirvana" explaining the situation and asking for a refund minus a one night stay, which we thought was fair (we booked this dump for 5 nights). The owner has yet to respond to my e-mail despite several follow-ups from me.

I'm sorry, but when I travel, I like to stay in at least 4-star quality hotels and resorts. This dump is lucky to get one star. I simply cannot believe all the great reviews this dump gets, except to hypothesize that: (1) the reviews are created by the owners themselves under pseudo names; or (2) the reviews are created by individuals who think a Days Inn is the equivalent of a 5-star hotel.

Oh, and by the way, this place ain't cheap! We paid $195 per night for this dump, and we were able to book a beautiful Junior Suite at a resort down the block from this place for $145 per night . . . and that resort was hands down 1,000% better than Nirvana.

If you have any taste whatsoever . . . AVOID NIRVANA ON THE BEACH . . . which should instead be called Depression on the Beach.

Room Tip: STAY AWAY from this dump !!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
20  Thank JurisDr
nirvananegril, Owner at Nirvana on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

We are certainly NOT a "dump" in any way & we are insulted by the use of that term.
It is not deserved. The person who said this did not do one bit of checking on what Nirvana on the Beach is all about. Do you have some other hidden agenda with Nirvana?

Vacationers need to take the time to do research on what type of hotel property they want to try.

Please closely read our website which clearly describes that we do not have a lobby, check in process, front desk, pool or TV, there are no phones in any of our rentals, we are the place to get away from all that. That is why you go on a vacation,
Which is why your vacation with relaxation, privacy & security is our priority

We are not a luxurious hotel & we do not want to be an ordinary place you have already been to. We want your vacation to be special & provide you with memories of a casual & unpretentious un-hotel feeling where you can feel at home in an unforgettable natural setting.

We are not a glitzy or glamorous 5 star hotel & do not try to give that impression. Our website shows the exact rooms & breath taking grounds offered at Nirvana. If you want to stay in a professionally decorated palace with a fancy lobby & front desk, phones, faxes, schedules, flat screen TV & granite counter tops & all the usual "cookie cutter" commercial offerings, well, Nirvana is not the place for you.

If you want to find your home away from home on a world class beach with cooling ocean breezes all set in beautiful natural tropical gardens, with the original canopy of trees that are home to all kinds of birds & butterflies then Nirvana is sure to please you.

We are the only hotel property on Negril Beach that has no boutique no beach bar or restaurant or anything else open to the public. Nirvana is a unique private property for the use of our guests only. Our staff will be happy to direct you to all the flavors of Negril & all that is happening.
We have the most friendly & caring Jamaican staff to make you feel at home & take care of you in a rustic beach front cottage or beach front studio with your feet in the sand & hammocks to nap in with no worries or cares.

AT NIRVANA ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK !

The traveler who is looking for "something more" chooses Nirvana. They want more than a fancy decorated hotel room, they want an authentic & unique experience of what Negril & its people are all about...they get all this & more at Nirvana.

We have had hundreds of excellent reviews from past guests from all walks of life that tell readers what they experienced at Nirvana.They know that personal service & Negril's best staff will make sure your vacation dreams come true.... we take care of everything,

YOU COME AS A GUEST & LEAVE AS A FRIEND

Reviewed 15 July 2011

We spent two weeks at Nirvana for our fourth time from April 13-27, 2011. We come each year for our anniversary. We were greeted at the airport by Leon. Saw him as soon as we exited from the building among all the drivers. It was great to see his smiling face again. We had a nice chat on our drive to Nirvana. When we got there it was like being home. Our red stripe and water were in the fridge and a bag of oranges by the door. We stay in one of the two bedroom cottages and a few steps down to the beach through the lush and beautiful grounds, where there is no longer a fence separating the grounds and the beach which makes it more open, the nicest beach property along 7 mile beach.

The staff are very helpful and friendly from the lovely ladies Lynn, Joan, Leoni and Joyce who cleaned the cottage quickly and efficiently everyday always smiling. The security staff, Shine Errol, Patrick and Rojan all very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Hi Shine, you hold a very special place in our hearts. The morning security, usually Errol, will have your chairs ready for you on the beach and watch any items you leave in them all day and the night security, Shine & Patrick are always there in the evening to greet you when you come back from dinner and make sure everything is okay. If there are things you want to do like fishing, glass bottom boat, visit the falls or a rum tour just ask the security staff and they will contact the appropriate people. Doris and Sandra, managers, are always around if you need anything. The grounds are so lush thanks to the gardeners, Moses, Moses and Otis who are raking, cleaning and watering everyday for most of the day.

You can purchase fruit from the ladies on the beach, Chordis was always around and she will cut the coconut, mango or papaya for you and there is a fruit and vegetable truck that comes a few times a week a couple of spots down the beach. Lunch time you can remain on the beach and purchase Jamaican patties, beef, chicken and vegetable along with coco bread from the patty man anytime from about 12:30 - 1:30 p.m and they are delicious and cheap. Hi-Lo is close by, by Taxi, to purchase other food and drink items. If you want fresh fish ask Sandra and she will have the fish truck come by. There are plenty of restaurants up and down the beach. Check the information guide in your room or cottage. You can have one of the drivers take you to Rick's Cafe, Rockhouse Restaurant, Kuyaba and many others.

We came to relax and that is exactly what we did. This definitely paradise. Leaving is so sad but hopefully next year we will be back for three weeks.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family