“Friendly budget hotel with charm.”

Hidden Paradise Resort Hotel
Ranked #76 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Friendly budget hotel with charm.”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed at the Hidden Paradise resort in January 2013 for 2 weeks, room 105. The room was clean and comfortable, basic but with a faded charm which we loved. Lovely spacious colonial style terrace bordered by flowering shrubs which were visited by humming birds. There is a fridge provided and a safe for which there is only a charge if you lose the key....50 dollars.
The pool is small but clean, it is elevated with lovely views, could do with a few more sunbeds though!
Breakfast is okay but the service is rather slow. You get a small plate of fruit followed by a choice of omelette, pancakes or saltfish dishes, which are delicious. This is followed by toast and jam, with fruit juice. There is tea and coffee provided but the milk is powdered, if you like tea, buy some milk at the small supermarket just beyond the gate and keep it in your fridge to take with you to breakfast.
If you want to explore and don't want to go with a tour company Christopher will take you where ever you want to go. We went with him on several excursions and haggled a good price. He is an excellent driver and will look after you well, you also get to see more of the real Jamaica with him than with an organised tour and you can tailor it to see what you want rather than what a group of people want. Just ask for him at the reception.
I would recommend this hotel as long a you have realistic expectations. It is basic but clean and comfortable, with very friendly and helpful staff. It maybe a little dated and tired, but it has real charm and for the price paid we were very satisfied.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We booked our week at Hidden Paradise by walking in off the street. The price was right, the location was excellent. The rooms were clean, the staff friendly, beautiful garden setting. We didn't eat there so I can't review the food. Very nice pool area with beautiful elevated view. The beach and bar are across the boulevard--very nice and quiet, could use a few more beach chairs but we were well taken care of. We will definitely be returning to Hidden Paradise!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
St Louis, MO.
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed at Hidden Paradise January 2012 & enjoyed my 5-day stay there. Room 108 is on lower level way in back & nice & quiet room like I requested. Check-in okay, they couldn't find my reservation but I had my email printout & Tosh checked me in...no problem. The room was old but clean, two queen beds, small TV, good bathroom, in-room safe, plenty of room but the mattress was uncomfortable & needs to be replaced. I found my maid Beulah & requested extra towels & ashtray and she quickly returned with items. She was always smiling & did a fine job of cleaning the room & porch. H.P. staff in general was always pleasant & friendly.
Shamrock mini-mart is short walk down road & has everything you could want, cold drinks, munchies "Yummy Coconut Bread", little bit of whatever you needed & fair exchange price. This was often visited & found Indian man who worked there very nice & helpful.
Alfred's Ocean Palace is also close by, a short stumble back across the street to Hidden Paradise. Biggs is usually cooking his Jerk Chicken in Barrel Grill by H.P. & I enjoyed his food several nights before & after going to Alfred's. You can even order & go to your room, the guard will call your room when food is ready. Very convenient & delicious juicy smoky flavored jerk chicken, makes my mouth water thinking about eating it. At H.P. if you are too lazy to go to Alfred's, I sat on my patio & listened to Yellow Man sing one night, not blasting loud like at Alfred's but still enjoyed the music & vibe...plus convenience of sitting alone on my patio.
This was my 2nd time staying across the street from the beach & while I missed waking up looking out on ocean & hearing the waves, the sounds from Great Morass & neighbors can be very fun too. Morning sitting outside you hear the rustle of palms, tree frogs chirping, & girls laughing & telling stories of all the men that hit on them at The Jungle last night. The barking dogs or crowing roosters were not always appreciated but this area has locals living next door & is part of the charm. I stayed here alone & felt very safe at all times with guards at front gate who was attentive (not asleep). At night I would sit out on my patio & chat with other guests as they passed by, everyone who was there was very friendly. H.P. served breakfast up on pool deck in back of property in Great Morass which has great breeze & cool view too. The pool was clean but rarely used due to cooler temps this week. H.P. has easy access to beach by walking across the street & walking thru road at Mama Flo's restaurant/bar to 7-Mile beach. They had chairs we could use so just bring your towel & you're set.
Also close by is One Mile area with several local grills with delicious cheap food, ate lunch here most days. One day taxi in for breakfast at Canoe, the fresh fruits, French Toast & pressed coffee was awesome & looking out at ocean is always nice. Then we walked around town & shopped a bit before taxi back to H.P. Enjoyed the beach till the afternoon clouds came in & then we sat outside on patio at my table while the rain came down, smelled so fresh after the rain ended. Sun came out just before sunset & luckily timed my trip across street to beach perfectly and saw a colorful sunset. Overall I would say I enjoyed my stay due to staff, gardens, charming older hotel which isn't fancy but has good location with Great Morass in backyard with pool, safe quiet rooms, nice sized patio or balcony with table & chairs for features I like in a property.

Room Tip: Rooms in back avoid any road noise & are quieter & closer to pool.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank JA-Kay
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I stayed at Hidden Paradise for one week in Feb 2011. I stayed in one of the cabins which is located near the entrance of the the hotel instead of an actual hotel room....loved it. The cabins are like a duplex and you can hear your neighbour so bring ear plugs just in case. This hotel is in a garden setting.

When I first arrived I had some trouble getting the air conditioning to work however the friendly staff assisted and it was good to go. The room was cleaned every day and was totally spotless. The bathroom was good except for the water pressure in the shower was low however this was not a big deal for me. There was a safe, TV, clock radio, ceiling fan, and wooden shutters on the windows to let the night breeze in. I stocked the bar fridge as there is a little food store, beer/water/snacks/fruit etc, about 3 doors down from the hotel.

There were two double beds, one was very hard and the other was very firm. At night there is a jerk chicken BBQ right outside the hotel entrance which goes late into the night. Also, there was a patio set for two on the patio right outside my cabin door. My breakfast was included in the price and was served in the open air restaurant on the second storey of the hotel and right off the pool area. I enjoyed the view (trees, plants, and flowers) from the restaurant while I ate my breakfast. There is free wifi near the pool area too.

At night, there is a security guard who opens and closes the gate for those coming back late. The beach access is across the street from the hotel. At first, I thought this might be a nuisance to pack a beach bag around but it wasn't at all. You cross the street (traffick is on the left hand side so be very careful crossing Canadians!) and go down a short lane which then opens up to a restaurant (Mama Flow) and a beach area.

The restaurant has lounge chairs that you can set up on the beach... more than likely they will offer to help you set it up. Locals on the beach will approach you and ask if you want to buy stuff from their shop or whatever they have for sale....if you are not interested be POLITE and say no thank you.... they value and are big on respect....also you don't want to offend anyone off in Jamaica.

I would stay here again and would recommend it to my friends/family.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Travelbugbite_76
Brantford, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed at Hidden Paradise starting March 28th for one week. It was a last minute check in as our other plans had fallen through. We arrived late at night and was offered a lovely room for two.
This resort has a pool , offers a decent breakfast. and has beach access across the road. It is very close walking distance to everything on Negril beach.
Having said that, the staff were very welcoming , friendly and kept the place extremely clean. There was a night watchman, who kept an eye out for us.
The garden area is lovely and kept up , beautiful flowers everywhere.
It is a basic room, nothing fancy , but suited us fine. We were out and about most of the time anyways.
There was a safe in the room and a refrigerator.
I would have no hesitation in going here again for a relaxing, safe and fun vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Karen77
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our trip to Negril and stay at Hidden Paradise very much. The grounds were exceptional, the room we stayed in #121, was very neat, clean and well kept. much appreciated!. Housekeeping maintained our room and balcony area very neatly, and clean. Our driver Christopher who picked us up at the airport was very courteous, genuine nice person. The front desk staff was attentive to any requests. You can make local calls at the front desk for no charge. Breakfast by the pool was a great way to start our mornings. Mama Flo's was accommodating to getting our lounge chairs set up, very good food and drinks. We plan on next season to make another stay at Hidden Paradise.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dave G
Flin Flon MB
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We stayed for 9 days and paid $86 US and it included a full made to order breakfast. The staff were wonderful. Hello from Canada!!!! The rooms were clean and well kept. Our fridge didn't work but we also didn't tell anyone. The only drawback was not enough lounge chairs at the beach or by the pool Right next door is the best coffee place in Negril. Blue Mountain Cafe. It has 4 tables and Biggs sold jerk chicken right outside and the owner is a wonderful woman and a great cook. We enjoyed her food and company, Four Stars for authentic!!!!! Mama Joy never change and Audrey you are a great lady!!! We had the pleasure of meeting some new friends from England at this resort who helped make our vacation unforgettable and hope to remain friends forever. Hidden Paradise is local all the way!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple