“Third time in 12 Months...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fun Holiday Beach Resort

Fun Holiday Beach Resort
Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Third time in 12 Months...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We are getting ready to book Fun Holiday again for the third time in 12 months. The first time we went was last May (2013). I was concerened that some of the people in our group would consider it too simple since they always went to the expensive resorts. They loved it. Everyone in our group loved it. They consider it paradise and I can't get them too go anywhere else. As we were standing on the beach I was discussing with a gentleman who was also staying at Fun Holiday. He mentioned that such and such resort was on 14 acres. I told that our resort is rather large as well. It goes for 31/2 miles that way and 31/2 miles the other way as I pointed both directions down the beach. They may have fantastic shows, but we have Roots Bamboo and the other authentic reggae clubs with real artists performing nightly. They may have better dining choices but we have authentic jamaican food. I don't want to feel like I'm at the Olive Garden when I'm in Jamaica. The people, the food, the beach and the music....It truly is paradise.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank thervb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

the fun holiday is a small and quiet spot located on the amazing 7 mile beach. the staff were amazing very friendly and always wanting to help. the food was ok, it wasnt horrible but it also wasnt amazing. The meals are served 3 times a day at which point you can order off the a la carte menu. The bar is ok as the alcohol runs out all the time. I would return to the resort mainly for the beach. We didnt go to Jamaica to stay in our room. We enjoyed the beach each and every day. It was a great time and a great deal. fun holiday i would return.

Room Tip: doesnt matter where you stay its all about the beach. if your looking for a 5 star resort you defin...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anymous a
Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Plain and simple....dont go. We booked this on the reviews we read. How anyone can like this is beyond me. The rooms are as basic as u can get. Toilet does not flush when you have water pressure.walls are paper thin.beds are 1 star.no blankets. Food. Well if u like chicken then u will be in heaven.its served at every dinner just a different way.buffet is approx 4 feet long. Selection is there is none. Drugs are everywhere.they allow u to smoke right at your dinning table while people are still eating.the beach is nice, except for the vendors who if u dont look at them will whistle at you till u do. Entertainment. Again there is none to speak of. We were to have a beach party with fire dancers and a band and special food , well guess what we had.yup chicken. No dancer and a band that if they got in tune would be considered bad. A 3 star cuban resort is posh compared to here. Please dont waste ur money. Go elsewhere .

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank saskatoondave

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were a small group of 3 (2 girls and a guy) and stayed at Fun Holiday for 2 weeks, March 17 to 31. We’ve wanted to visit Jamaica for a few years now, but was always out of price range. Fun Holiday made it possible and still have it all inclusive. This is a locally owned hotel, not a chain hotel. DO NOT expect any luxuries you’ll see at other all inclusives. Based on the reviews, I knew this hotel would be very different than other all inclusives we’ve been to, BUT this is how we could get to Jamaica affordably AND we have no regrets. If you are travelling on a budget and are not expecting a luxury resort, Fun Holiday will work for you. It’s no frills, you need to understand that. What it lacks in luxury it makes up for with the amazing staff and location. You cannot beat this location!!

We were on the second level, one of the rooms that overlooked straight onto the pool and the ocean. Couldn’t beat the view, it was stunning and priceless! The rooms were very basic. There’s no phone, no alarm clock, but new tv’s and lots of channels to watch. Our AC worked great. The beds were comfortable. They only had a sheet, but asked for a blanket and were given a bedspread, which was great. Our water pressure was ok, we just didn’t have cold water at times, making for a scalding hot shower at the end of the day.

The buffet is small and after two weeks, it gets repetitive. That’s understandable. But it was delicious. They served local dishes and meals that had taste. I usually don’t eat much meat when I travel, but this place turned me into a carnivore. I loved the jerk chicken, fried fish and BBQ’d meats they often served.

This is my 12th all inclusive vacation and the staff at this resort ranks as one of the best! The ladies at the reception desk were so friendly and always interested in our daily treks. At the end of our stay, one of them offered a small gift to my sister only because we were so nice to them. The waitresses are great, lots of fun and very attentive.

The bar sometimes lacked supplies. We like to drink white wine and a few times it wasn’t available. Once they knew we liked white wine and when they had it, it was automatically served to our table. Some other items weren’t available as well, but we just went with the flow and tried something else, no problem.

Fun Holiday is located in the heart of the action. Roots Bamboo bar is right next door. They had several free concerts during our stay. Bourbon Beach, a 10 minute walk on the beach toward Negril, was a beautiful outside bar with great free entertainment. The Times Square mall was maybe a 10 minute walk down the road. Prices were comparable to what you found on the beach and prices are negotiable. There’s a convenience store called the One Mile store 5 minutes away where we stop and buy a nice cold beer for $1.60. We didn’t make it to the market at the edge of town because there’s no need for us to buy that stuff, but they sell souvenirs, artwork, etc. and you can expected to be harassed.

Lying on the beach, you’d have vendors walking and trying to sell their wares. If you’re not interested a simple no and they get it. The security guard was great at keeping them away if you didn’t want to be hassled. The beach was raked clean every day. When we were ready to claim our loungers in the morning, either the security guard or the groundskeeper would place them exactly where you wanted. We gave a tip each time and it was appreciated. A $1 tip means a lot to them, and for us, really? I’m sure it’s something we can part with, so I’m not sure why some guests wouldn’t want to tip. I don’t get this service at home and a tip is expected. So why would I not tip here where the service has been amazing?

I felt perfectly safe walking along the beach, day or night. In the mornings we would walk one direction or another and go for miles. We walked 7km one way on a morning and took a small hobie cat back. It was a beautiful waterview back to the hotel that took 30 minutes. We also walked into the town of Negril and up along the West End, cliffside. Negril has the friendliest people. We weren’t hassled and when we were a simple, no we’re alright, was enough to leave us alone.

We did off the beaten path activities like the One Love Bus Pub Crawl which was a highlight of our vacation. We also hired a cabbie to take us to the Royal Palm Reserve (which is a gem of a park but unfortunately closed to the public), the Blue Hole mineral spring and the countryside. Also book an excursion for the sunset cruise to Rick’s café. Disappointed with the snorkeling site, but the catamaran cruise was a lot of fun. Also got Captain Larry, (the white glass bottom boat next to the resort) to take us snorkeling and to the Booby Cay Island (I think that’s what it was called).

The best way to describe Fun Holiday is that it grows on you. You come here for a more authentic experience, not for a sheltered beach vacation the chain all inclusives have to offer. Overall, I truly loved my experience and would return to this hotel…. Just do your research and you’ll know what to expect.

Thank you to Latoya, Tina, Samantha, Donalda from the dining room, Mr. Langley (boss man), Nerin the cook, Jody Ann and Kayon at the reception desk, as well as the security guards. You made our stay exceptional.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
15 Thank travelissylvie
manitoba
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Very simple, don't expect high end , but the food is good, the people are very friendly, small place and right at the beach. Has pool, but we spent most all time in ocean, because it is such a beautiful beach. And the water is so clear and doesn't get to rough..

Room Tip: Any room would be good but I like being on second floor. We were close to cafe and entertainment, s...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank swifferManitoba
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Wow! We really don't understand the harsh reviews. This wasn't my first time in Jamaica, though, far from it. But the first time with my sons aged 8 and 13. I would say that if you're looking on budget travel sites for a cheap all-inclusive deal right on the beach, then you need to know thyself. You're NOT going to get five star luxury. Stop looking for everything and wanting to pay nothing. We could have looked at Sandals or one of those joints, but I wanted my children to experience the beautiful Jamaican people, not people in stiff suits bowing and cowing to our every whim all the time. I didn't want them lining up with a thousand other cattle at every meal. I wanted them to truly experience my favorite place, not some gated barracks Disney-world version of Jamaica that may just have well have been Florida for all the culture and true experience you miss at those places.

This was my first all inclusive resort in Negril, and we chose it because we have kids and didn't want to hunt for every meal. Budgeting beforehand was crucial. We wanted any extra cash we had to take along to be for extras like patties and boat trips. We also chose the beach location so we could walk the beach. The cliffs aren't as fun for little kids. As parents know, it's hard to keep kids out of the pool even in paradise, and here...the kids mostly ignored the pool and were so happy to have gentle sea water to frolic in. It kills me when we go somewhere and the kids just want to play in the pool...which could be anywhere. We had no problem with that here.

The resort itself is lovely, with gardens lovingly tended to by O'Neill, who works ALLLL hours of the day.

We thought the food was delicious! The fruit down there is just unbelievable, and the grilled jerk chicken and jerk pork were fabulous. My whole family was satisfied at every meal.

The rooms are very basic...tile floor and beds with sheets and thin comforter. Our room was close to the beach, and at first I wondered why they put us so close to the central pavilion, with kids needing to go to sleep early and all. But it was perfect, because the kids could go to sleep and we could still hang out right outside the door and check on them every 15 minutes or so. So we had some time to ourselves. If there was music in the pavilion on a night, it did not affect the kids' sleeping at all. AT ALL. They were so tired from a full day in the sun and sea, that they konked ("conched?") right out. And the AC in our room was very easy to work with. We would turn it up to get the soft hum of the fan going at bed time and drown out any noise, and then turn it down, and opened the windows for the delicious night air to refresh our room. I had read reviews about the beds and no extra blankets, so we just brought one for the kids. We didn't need one on our bed, and again...we spent so much time outside that we, too, fell asleep with no problem, mon. The rooms are lovingly tended to by Jennifer and the other housekeepers, and she leaves fresh towels each day. Again...you're in Jamaica. Please experience Jamaica. You can experience the inside of a hotel room anywhere in the world.

If you are completely uncomfortable in your room and need to be somewhere in the shade, there are plenty of thatched shelters on the beach and the pavilion where meals and entertainment occur is a friendly inviting place all day long, and a place where you can meet people from all over the world and get to know the staff better.

Much love to Lloyd, who treated our sons like little princes, and concocted for us a "Love Potion." Ask him for that, and ask him about his daughters, whom he obviously loves so much. My little son came to see Lloyd as an uncle and took to taking his meals at the bar with him. The staff very lovingly referred to him as "Big Man."

Jonathan, night security, will also appreciate your playing for him some old-time reggae music during his shift. And ask him about his 20+ years as a policeman. It was also nice to see that he noticed when a group of ladies were out very late, and so he left the lights on for them, until they had safely returned.

LaToya, Ninja....so many wonderful people on staff. My littlest son and I actually cried when we left. The people really make this place a five star resort, and if the owner looks at these reviews: Give them all a raise. They made allllll the difference. The manager also checked with us the night before we left and asked earnestly what improvements could have been made to our experience and if there's anything anyone could have done or could do in the future to make our stay more pleasant.

The boat to take snorkeling is Captain Larry. First boat to the left as you stand on the beach. He is so kind, and usually pops over to our beach at some point in the day just to shoot the breeze. If you're going grown-up style, the Red Stripe Catamaran is a sunset booze cruise blast that we did not, of course, do with the kiddos. But I wanted the kids to snorkel over by the cliffs, so Capt Larry adjusted his route for us, and took us over there. His friend Derek, who used to run that boat, came along and he dove way down and brought up all kinds of creatures for the kids to hold and see up close. (Derek and I, when speaking on the boat actually realized that he is the first person I went snorkeling with in Negril back in 1999 (!))It's what you do on the booze cruise but without the craziness. So cool to wrap around that South bit of land and see revealed those amazing cliffs. And to see the cliff jumpers at Rick's from the water. Best view.

Such a wonderful experience. And if you want expensive luxury, then stop looking for a deal. Know where you are going, and respect the place where you are going. This is a country getting wrecked by the IMF, and times aren't easy for them.

Go to Negril and experience Negril. Otherwise, Florida will save you a lifetime of whining.

Big Up, Fun Holiday, Thank you so much!

Room Tip: Rooms are tile floor, and you will probably have a little rain for a little while every afternoon...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Miranda0713
Ajax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Traveled with another couple, this resort was our wives' choice. They wanted a smaller resort, something central and right on the beach, and this fit the bill.
When I read the negative reviews I wonder if these people actually did any research at all. We expected a 3 star and we received a 3 star.

We arrived and the front desk were friendly and helpful.
Our rooms were very basic, but clean. We didn't have a blanket on our beds and asked them and it was there shortly after that. The beds were fine, the AC worked too well!

The food was good, not great but good.
For breakfast they had some Jamaican fare, omelettes, oatmeal, fresh fruit, etc....Always filled me up.
Lunch was basically the same, Jamaican fare and stuff you would see on your regular menus at home. The only thing I didn't like was the hamburgers, so I didn't eat it and never had one again. The fried chicken they made was awesome!
Dinner was always good, more Jamaican fare than the other meals it seemed.
To order off the a la carte seemed to be tricky as when they are getting the buffet ready they had problems making these, but once ordered it was good.

Drinks need to be worked on at the Fun Holiday Resort. They had everything most of the time, but they should have something available all the time. This resort should invest in a few more ice machines that work well!
The Bob Marley drinks that someone posted in the pictures were awful for me.

The staff in general were great and helpful. Not everyone was that friendly but I never encountered anyone who was negative. I could ask the bartender to make a special drink and they would try. Asked the chef any questions, they answered. No problems with the wait staff....Never really saw the cleaning staff for our rooms, but we requested two more towels, and they were there!

The actual physical resort needs some elbow grease, but it reminded of me or being at a cottage resort in Northern Ontario.
They could use some fresh paint and new wood around the pool. They actually could use a hammer around the pool deck as there are nails that could catch you.
The nicest wood in the resort is the lifeguard tower, ironic since no one saw a lifeguard all week.

The location of this resort is the best!
Right on the beach and central to everything.
There seem to have enough chairs and shade areas.
Vendors would come and if they lingered around too long, this resort has security to shoo them along.

Entertainment at night happened 3 times in the week. We had fun and it was basic! It also all finished by 10pm, but we were either ready for sleep or ready to go out elsewhere.

If you walked on the beach to the right, the bigger resorts are there, also Margaritaville and a bar called Chances which mid afternoon had a great reggae/jazzy band. Singer was real good! All kinds of other bars and restaurants as well.
To the left on the beach was several bars, restaurants and vendors.
I never felt threaten at any point, but again I am and my buddy are fairly big guys.
We walked to these places at night and were alright. Tip, bring a small flashlight!

All in all, we thought this would be a simple, cheap resort where we could be at times and go elsewhere anytime we wanted, and that's exactly what we received.
Thanks to everyone who was at this resort, workers and vacationers!
We all agreed we would go back in the future.

Room Tip: Central to everything, but make sure you haggle with cab drivers. The hotel driver named Steve is tr...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank donthescott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Foote Prints on the Sands Hotel
#30 of 36 in Ocho Rios
Rooms Ocho Rios
Rooms Ocho Rios
#14 of 36 in Ocho Rios

Been to Fun Holiday Beach Resort? Share your experiences!