“Great Stay on a Budget”

Ranked #18 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Stay on a Budget”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed here in April 2013, and all in all it was a great stay. They frequently have Living Social deals, which I purchased. I literally stayed 8 nights for $418, and it included free breakfast. Crazy!

The location of the hotel is perfect. Right on the beach, and within walking distance to everything you need. I didn't have a car during my stay, and I only used a taxi once to go to the grocery store, which was only 100J, but I also walked there, too. There are bars, shops, food stands, etc. all along the strip. The beach itself is beautiful, but beach area is quite small. It didn't bother me any, because to me, a beach is a beach! I never had a problem getting a beach chair or towels (free of charge.) Since I was a solo female traveler, I did get a lot of vendors/locals coming up to me trying to sell me stuff/"party with them", but the hotel staff did their best to try to keep them at bay. I also enjoyed hanging out by the pool, and there was rarely anyone there. While I appreciate the staff's concern and understand the reasoning behind it, it was a little strange that they had a lifeguard on duty if I actually went in the pool. It just made things a little awkward having someone watch me by myself in the pool. Again, I totally don't blame them for it.

The room I stayed in was awesome! Two queen beds, great AC, super clean. Housekeeping came every day. Not much to say, other than it was a great. I even had a few cats come visit me during my stay, and they were super cute.

The one thing I didn't enjoy here, which by no means was a deal breaker, was the breakfast. As other people have mentioned, the breakfast staff isn't too friendly. I had no idea how breakfast worked since it was included in my stay, and I kind of felt like I was a bother to them. The few times I did eat there in the morning, it was just ok. I also ate dinner there on my first night, and it was sloooooow. I understand everything is slow in Jamaica, but I waited over an hour for an alfredo dish. It wasn't great, but I was so hungry at that point that I ate it with no complaints.

Other than the breakfast staff/bar staff, everyone else at the hotel was wonderful. The cleaning crew was always friendly and never walked by without a "hello". Same with the groundskeepers. The girls at the front desk were awesome, especially Marian. She was super funny and sweet. I liked how the management was always there if you needed them, but they also were unobtrusive.

If you're looking to stay on the beach and have a no frills vacation, this is definitely the place to day. You honestly cannot beat the price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Katie Z
Howard S, General Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Katie thank you so much for your review. We love to hear how we performed even if it is quite a while afterwards. All feedback is valuable. You certainly enjoyed all that Negril has to offer and indeed our proximity to the town is a big plus with our guests who want to explore and walk around while doing some shopping or trying one of our local restaurants and bars. Your comments re breakfast are noted and I can assure you we have come a long way in that regard. Hope we see you again very soon.
Best wishes from the entire Travellers family.
PS I just checked the weather in Pittsburgh - think you need to go on line or head for your favourite travel agent to book a vacation in the sun, although we only reached 82 degrees today!!!! :-)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My friends and I stayed at the resort for 2 weeks in mid December. Customer service was excellent. All of the staff welcoming and friendly. The room was clean and modern. The hotel is within easy access to shops and other amenities this is great for those that want to venture beyond the resort.

My friend and myself are both wheelchair users. While we noted that the hotel does not claim to be wheelchair accessible attempts were made to create level access to our room and the restaurant area. It is also worth noting that most of the amenities outside the resort can be accessed by a wheelchair user so you will be stuck to the resort.

Thanks to all the staff at Travellers for a great experience (just to mention a few names: Kadina, and Howard)

Michelle, Saadia and Nancy

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle D
Howard S, General Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Michelle so good to hear from you and to see your review on Trip Advisor. We all have fond memories of your stay with us. While as you say we do not claim to be wheelchair accessible we are glad that you were able to move around fairly easily and I recall our conversation re possible enhancements for wheelchair bound guests. Hope to see you back home at Travellers very soon.
Regards,
Howard and the team
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Seriously, they were soooo nice and accommodating. If you wanted the default full service resort experience, they were at your service for every need, but even better if you wanted them to help you navigate and enjoy the cultural aspects of the area, they let you know how to do it. It's really about the people, and they had great staff that did everything in their power to grant your desires, not to mention the beautiful location of the resort. When I first walked in I was worried what would be on the other side, but when I made it to the bar/restaurant right on the beach, I was in a different world, with a boat docked right there to take me to the coral reef, and miles of beach to walk. BTW softest/cleanest water I've been in.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ahmad thank you for taking the time to write about your time with us here. While of course we always are happy to hear our guests have enjoyed our property we also are delighted when we hear that you have enjoyed the culture and the island. Jamaica has so much to offer. Hurry home!
Thanks again from the Travellers family
Grand Forks, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Fantastic stay! great resort with everything we needed. security was fantastic and the beach was just steps away. BEAUTIFUL and breathtaking! The food was awesome and the staff and owners are genuinely caring and considerate. Close to everything if you feel like exploring. we will stay again! Great and low key!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank jessicacycc604
Thank you Jessica for your kind words. It is such a morale booster for our team when guests take time out to write about us. We hope we can host you again very soon.
The Travellers Family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed in mid December with family (in Negril for the Reggae Marathon weekend, which is a great community event with marathon, half marathon and 10k, good fun apart from the 5.15am start) Obtained a very reasonable rate online and the room was modest but very comfortable. The hotel is unpretentious, right on the beach with a nice pool and restaurant bar overlooking the beach. Food was reasonably priced, fresh local seafood and well presented. Not normally a karaoke fan but this being Jamaica there were some pretty good singers and made for an entertaining evening. Staff were efficient, the place was full so they were busy and the security guy on the beach was very laid back but doing a good job. Lots of Jamaicans staying at the hotel as well which we liked. Location is good as you can easily stroll down to the commercial area/ATM etc.
Good value. Recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tim n
Tim so nice to read your review. Reggae Marathon is a fun time for all of us and we are glad we were able to share it with you. Look forward to your next visit - this year's Marathon in early December is already in the planning stages.
Best wishes from the team at Travellers
NJ
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed here a few nights not by choice in the new years . This was a last minute decision as everything was fully booked in Negril. I booked two rooms and gave my family the better room and took a cabin. The rooms are ok .The pool is beautiful. The spa is only by appointment. The best thing about my stay was the managerial party they had . This is done each wednesday and you get to meet the staff . The music was the highlight of the managerial party , they had a wonderful painist playing and singing . I had a young employee introduced himself to me and he was very nice and friendly and i did express to him that they need to train the dinning team especially those two ladies that are servers. The ladies at the front desk are friendly but not quite informative, both day and night staff . When you stay at hotels on the beach i expect the front desk staff to be able to tell you about events and pretty much have basic information about the town on hand . They were clueless. The dinning team is very unfriendly , if you ask a question about the menu its as if you are being a bother to the servers . My daughter and niece complained to me two days about the same servers , so we decided we would not eat at the restaurant. The bartender is not friendly as most bartenders are in negril( i think its due to the fact that ppl constantly have to see him for beach towels and he constantly have to be the bearer of bad news ) . I think this hotel has more than 30 rooms and probably 10 beach towels , its unbelievable. Beach chairs get filled quickly . I counted them each day and its less than 10. Bottom line is you pay for what you get here ...so read all reviews and make your decision.

Room Tip: cabin is worth it if you do not care for AC and are a No-Frills traveller .
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KKite
While the majority of our reviews are positive we know that from time to time we will fail to meet guest expectations and must acknowledge that. I can assure you your review was shared with the team as it is important we share both positive and negative comments. All feedback is valuable. If we failed to meet your expectations we do apologise, we have addressed some of the issues to which you refer (more towels and beach chairs for example) and as we continue to improve the physical property we will also work on our human resource, always the most important component of any successful service oriented company.
We would like you to give us another opportunity to make it better.....
The Travellers Team
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed at Travellers for New Years 2013. It is a small family run hotel. The hotel is quite run down - some rooms supposedly renovated. Our room was not and hardly any water came out of the shower head.

Forget about the advertised gym.

On the positive side - the room was clean, bed comfy and the access to the beach was good.
Food was reasonable priced.

Expect a bit of noise from parties down the road.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Chris, thank you for your review of your stay. We are sorry that you felt the property was run down. We are indeed renovating all our rooms. I wish I had had an opportunity to meet with you. We do have water pressure issues from time to time but usually we can solve the problem fairly quickly. I do hope you will stay with us again - we promise you the best of attention.
Best wishes for 2014 from the Travellers family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
CocoLaPalm Resort
#11 of 81 in Negril
Negril Tree House Resort
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Travellers Beach Resort? Share your experiences!