“Top Notch” 5 of 5 bubbles

Idle Awhile The Villas
California
“Top Notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Enormous and comfortable villas right on the beach with a tremendously helpful staff. Our food and drink tab was incredibly cheap as they charge grocery store prices with a very modest markup. The chef was also spectacular, cooking us fantastic breakfasts and selected lunches and dinners.

Room Tip: Bigger villas are a better value.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Alamo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

We just returned from spending a week at MoonDance Villas and found the whole experience to be very special for our family. Our party of 12 went down for our annual reunion, and rented Azure Sky and Satin Sunrise. Our family has some history of living in Jamaica when Alpart (bauxite plant) was started back in the late 60's / early 70's, and Jamaican culture is very special to our family after all these years. Thus, we didn't want to stay at a large resort - we wanted to feel closer to the Jamaican culture...and we were not disappointed!
The Villas are all beautiful - the furnishings, the spacious rooms, comfortable beds and gorgeous grounds, not to mention the white sand beach which is completely private for the use of the Villas. The water front is public though, so it's quite entertaining to sit on your chairs and watch the scene! We had 5 'twenty-somethings' with us so the activity was great for them. (Also Margaritaville was just down the beach and made for a fun beach bar scene if anyone was interested.) There is a volleyball net which we used quite a bit right in front of Azure Sky, as well as a spa and pool right off the veranda. They also have a Kayak and water floats for use. The water was warm and crystal clear - pure white sand underneath - a dream!
We chose the all-inclusive meal plan so that we could eat/drink as much as possible and not worry about a bill - it's a little pricey, but we thought worth it after the week was over. The meals are incredible, especially if you want to eat Jamaican which we did! Jerk Chicken, Jerk Pork, Curried Shrimp, Curried Chicken, Lobster every single night and sometimes lunch too...Lobster Thermador and grilled lobster, plus lobster salad! Smoothies, rum punch, beer, the bars were all stocked - and the best part was the people....Mark and Nathaniel were our cooks - they were incredible! The # of different dishes they served at each meal was overwhelming...and we had a 21st birthday celebration one night dining out on the beach under the stars...Mark made a special bday cake for our birthday boy...very nice touch. Sasha and Christine were our 'bartenders' but they were way more than that...took care of everything we needed, came out to take our drink orders on the beach...and just really good people to get to know. I wanted to take them all home with us!
One very nice thing MoonDance did for our party was to make arrangements for our party to bus over to their sister property MoonDance Cliffs for dinner one night, and gave us access to one of the villas there if we chose to stay overnight. The reason for this was due to the bar next door had plans for a very large and LOUD party that night, and they knew it wouldn't be enjoyable for us. We had a wonderful evening at MoonDance Cliffs (great food, beautiful Villas too!) and returned to our Villa later that night to avoid most of the noisy evening (still had noise till 3 am but most of us slept through it). Other than those few hours of noise, the only other negative comment I'd make here is that the beach vendors are annoying....but we found them entertaining more than anything...a firm 'no' typically gets them to move on.
Overall - great place to stay and we'll certainly visit again!

Room Tip: Azure Sky (4 bdrm) is in the center of the property and is a great 'central house' if you ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MJ G
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

To begin, I must first say this was one of the best vacations of my life, if not the best vacation. Upon being picked up at the airport by a very friendly staff we were greeted with a wonderful attitude and Red Stripe. Just when you thought it could not get any better, we arrived at the Lilac Mist 1 bedroom villa....Amazing is just not a big enough word. Jerry, whom you simply must meet, is one of the most interesting and friendly people at the moondance, always giving advice and just hanging around, yet absent when necessary. Christine, our bartender, makes the best Mai Tai I have ever had, and is one of the nicest and sweetest people I have ever come into contact with, in regard to hospitality services. The beach was amazing, the food was even better. To be honest it is something you really cannot put into words, few things in life give pleasure in the sense that they were exactly or better than the way we imagined them, and that is the only way that I can describe this place. I wouldn't trade my memories there for any sum of money.

One thing should be said though, BE AWARE you are traveling to a sub-tropical nation...yes, there will be mosquitos and other bugs....people that complain about it I simply don't understand. We had problems with them maybe 1 or 2 nights, well to be honest I didn't really even feel it, but then again I am from florida. Yet the staff was more than willing to help, it really wasn't even an issue, because it is something you should know before you come here. they do everything they can to help and while there it was one of the worst mosquito seasons ever, so i take it with a grain of salt. After all, even paradise has a small price to pay, I would have gladly slept on nails and broken glass at night in trade for the days I spent there! Respect to Jerry and Christine and Rowan!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jordan V
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Just returned from a week's stay with friends at The Moon Dance. The villa was perfect, there aren't many places where three couples can stay and each enjoy the comforts of a king sized bed and their own bathroom. Loved the location, which is literally right on the beach though there is enough of a buffer between you and the beach to maintain a degree of privacy and a sense that you have a 'front yard.' The staff were lovely and did a great job. If you want to come home well rested and decompressed The Moon Dance may be just your spot !

Room Tip: Some villas have their own private pool and hot tub. Some just the hot tub. There is a lovely shar...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank wanderlust012
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Wonderful location and very nice accomodations. Staff provided a wonderful pig roast on the beach for us and other special meals. The 5 bedroom next to Chances was lovely, but a bit dark due to the lush foliage. The 4 bedroom had a very nice sunny pool. Last trip to Negril was 10 years ago and the beach vendors seem to have multiplied! Wonderful time with friends.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We recently had our wedding at the Moondance Villas and were overjoyed with our experience. The Moondance and their wonderful staff especially Oneika and Carrie made it a special experience and pulled off an unbelievable wedding. We flew down on a Sunday and our guests on a Tuesday and we all stayed until Sunday. First off when myself and my wife got to Moondance we had rented the 1 bedroom for an extra couple of nights but would be staying in the 4 bedroom with our guests when they arrived. Well they put us right in the four bedroom which we had all to ourselves the first two nights. Moondance and our travel agent helped set up transportation for all 43 of our guests from the airport which went great. They set up a cocktail hour and appetizer meet and greet per our request which was great. They took care of all our needs including getting the whiskey i like and the energy drink one of guests requested. The meals were outstanding. Everything is so tasty. I'm not a big chicken eater but their bbq and jerk chicken were cooked to perfection. You can eat family style or pick your own food. My wife had lobster every night for dinner. Our rehearsal dinner was outstanding and the reggae band we got was well worth the money. One of the highlights of our trip was the fire dancer at our rehearsal dinner. He was fun and interactive and I'd highly recommend getting him for any group event. Oneika and Carrie made our wedding perfect. They handled much of the details got us prices on everything so we could decide on what we wanted. The Villas covered all the costs so that we would have just one bill at the end of our stay to pay for everything for the wedding which was so nice. DJ Intelligence from sound illusion was awesome. He has a website to make music requests ahead of time and plays great fun music overall. We brought a lot of our own decorations including christmas lights, paper lanterns and they took them at the beginning of our trip and put them all up so we didn't have to worry about any of that. The only caveat to the planning was that the flower place floral fantasies did not have a very good selection of candles for the center pieces so we had to bring our own and we payed extra for a lot of rose petals to make up the aisle and there was definitely not $300 dollars worth of rose petals and the aisle did not look like what we asked the flower shop for. But that was very minor. The dinner was great. We had our cake made by a Noida Cooke who did an unbelievable job. The cake was beautiful and very tasty. We also brought sky lanterns to light off as our wedding favors and they just made the night that much more fun and special. We were married on a friday and the next morning they had a tent set up for us with a great brunch. Overall the staff were friendly and very attentive. The chefs will make anything you want. If you have special food or beverage requests if they can find them in Jamaica they will get them for you. I don't think it would have been possible to have a better wedding anywhere else. Everyone in our group had a great time. I highly recommend if you can swing it to bring a big enough group to rent out all the villas. It made it really private and fun all week. The beach is great and there is a security guard all day to make sure you aren't bothered by the vendors and 7 mile beach.

The bad: the only caveat to our stay which one of guests pointed out was the bar next door. About once a month i believe they have a big party on Saturday night. They won't have one if there is a wedding scheduled but our wedding was friday. A little loud music wouldn't have been an issue but this was beyond loud. The base was so loud that it shook our villa all night long. Even the villa furthest away shook. The only person in our party who got any sleep until it stopped at 4:30 a.m. was my Dad cause as he put it he took out his hearing aides,lol. I know the moon dance can't control what their neighbors do but I would suggest talking with the bar about the base as there is no way that much base is necessary even for the patrons in the bar.

Even that though couldn't keep us from giving it 5 stars as they took care of us in every way, the food was top notch and the helped us create memories no one in our group will forget. It was a wedding week to compare all others too:)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mara-Jason H
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

My now husband and I chose to have our wedding at Moon Dance Villas after reading all of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. We couldn't argue with the glowing reviews, and it seemed to have everything we were looking for. Wedding planner provided, beautiful villas and private beach, only one wedding per week, food and drinks made to order, and since we were expecting about 40 total people at our wedding, we would practically have the whole place to ourselves.

Well, when we arrived in Jamaica, and were welcomed by the staff at Moon Dance Villas, we realized that this was going to be even more amazing than we had imagined. All week, the whole staff made us feel at home. And Oneika (the wedding planner) and the other front office staff made sure everything was set for our wedding day.

The villas (we rented all of them except the 2 and 1 bdr) were spacious, cool, beautiful, clean and comfortable. The food at every meal was delicious. We had a vegan in our house, and the staff was accommodating. There were snacks and drinks available 24 hours a day, which was very convenient. One night, the staff even ordered us pizza before they left so we would have some late night food to munch on.

As for the wedding, it was honestly the most beautiful set-up I have ever seen. And all I had to do was pay for the rental of white wooden chairs for the ceremony and for 5 round tables for the dinner. After seeing photos of a previous couple doing so, I requested we get married in front of the main tree on the beach. There are white lights already strung, the ocean is in the background (but not too close to drown out our words), and it provided some shade. The only decorations I brought were a few small paper decorations to hang from the tree, a cake topper, a guest book, and a "just married" banner. But when I walked across the bridge from my villa (Bay Whisper) with my mom, and saw the ceremony all set up for the first time, and all my guests waiting for me, it was more beautiful than I ever expected. The staff had hung paper lanterns from the tree in my wedding colors, and scattered flower petals down the aisle. It was amazing. For the reception, they cleared the chairs and set up the tables with white table cloths, ribbons, and the simple centerpieces that I ordered. There was a "dance floor" section of the beach with lights a tent and lights hung from above. The reggae band had a stage and tent. As for the reggae band, I was skeptical when I paid for them b/c I didn't have any information about them, but I'm glad I listened to Oneika, because they were a hit! I wish I could have had them play all night long. The singer got all my friends and I to dance, and we are normally not dancers.

In conclusion, this week was the best vacation of my life. It was just so relaxing and enjoyable. Anything you could ever want was available to you b/c of the amazing staff. I highly recommend staying at Moon Dance Villas, and can't wait to go back.

Tips:
-Get the all-inclusive plan, I don't know why anyone wouldn't do this. The cost may seem like a lot up front, but each meal was delicious. We were in Jamaica for a week where we didn't stay at Moon Dance Villas and none of the food at any of the restaurants in town or at the big fancy all-inclusive resort were anywhere close to as good as the food the chefs make at Moon Dance.

-Go to Moon Dance Cliffs one day, but get agree on a set price for the ride there with the front office BEFORE you get in the van. The drive to the Cliffs is really pretty, and the resort itself is amazing. Totally different from the Villas, except the staff was all just as friendly. They lent us snorkle gear and we all jumped off the cliffs into the crystal clear water to swim around. It didn't seem like there were very many other guests there while we were there..not sure why. But the food at the swim up bar was good, and some of our group watched American football in the outdoor sports bar.

-Ask someone from the staff to set up a volleyball net on the beach. It's fun. We regretted not thinking about it until the last day.

-If some people in your group go deep sea fishing and catch something, the chefs at the Villas will prepare it for you.

-Each chef is different, obviously. So, if you are renting out multiple villas, try eating at different ones occasionally. Each makes a different type of french toast, cheesecake, etc..

-We had our honeymoon in Ocho Rios the week after our wedding. We thought we were going to love it since we went crazy and spent lots of money on a big fancy brand name couples resort. It was a HUGE letdown after leaving Moon Dance. We wish we would have just saved our money and come back to the Villas for our anniversary.

I cannot recommend this place enough. I hope that people continue to visit, to keep the wonderful staff employed. They only work the days that their villas are rented. And because I hope I can bring my friends and family back every few years, and don't want anything about the place to change!

Room Tip: For the bride and groom, the master bedroom in the Bay Whisper villa is best. It's a huge room...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends