“Fantastic Value Resort”

Ranked #46 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Regina
“Fantastic Value Resort”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We spent 10 days at Kuyaba and loved it. The staff are all extremely friendly and very helpful.

Overall, there's not much to dislike. The beach is so fantastic that it's hard to find many negatives that aren't overcome by the positives of Negril's beaches and great food/people.

Positives:
(1) Location- right in the middle of 7 Mile Beach, right beside some great live music places, and across the street from some good shopping.
(2) Restaurant- one of the best in Negril
(3) Beach was kept very clean, they had umbrellas for shade and enough loungers for everyone.
(4) Very nice overall compound that was kept very clean by the staff. You never saw any garbage or even debris from all the trees. Really feels like a higher end resort.
(5) Rooms are basic but kept very clean. Nice size patios with a swinging chair to relax in.

Negatives:
(1) Beds are very hard.
(2) Beach towels were hard to come by (they don't have many available so bring your own)
(3) Restaurant service is SLOW. But, it's Jamaica, so chill out.
(4) The Beach can be a little shady after dark. This is the same across the entire 7 mile beach though. If you want to walk to some live music that isn't immediately next door, I would suggest a cab.

Room Tip: The deck on the honeymoon suite looked HUGE. It might actually be worth the money to pay for that p...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank phail

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Just left Kuyaba today after our 3rd stay

Wanted to say a big THANK YOU to the staff. From Earl the gardner, to Paul the security guard on the beach, to Jeffrey, Debbie, Hyacinth, DJ, Joan, Damien and everyone else in the restaurant, and our wonderful housekeeper Yvette - everyone was so welcoming, accommodating, and friendly.

I never thought I would say this, but we ate so much of the pepper shrimp we could not eat it on our last day.

And we have to say, thanks for adding the beach umbrellas - The extra shade was very much appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
andria
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I have really enjoyed staying in this place. It is very nice and clean, right by the beach.
I have received a very good service and the restaurant is just great both as a location and as quality of the food.
Really recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank paola d
Winnipeg, Manitoba CA
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This was our third trip to Negril in as many years, and the third hotel we've tried, the other two being Negril Escape and Coco LaPalm. Kuyaba is a bit of mix for us;
- We booked through our credit card travel division; only thing odd was that our card was charged for our entire booking in advance. Typically, I've only had a deposit charged in advance. Not a huge concern, but just a heads up.
- I always request confirmation a few weeks in advance, and that took a couple of emails to get a response back
- Our check in was great! we were checked in very efficiently, shown to our rooms and were welcomed with rum punches (nice touch!!). I think our manager at check in was Rochelle, she was very, very nice.
- The property looks very nice with gardens maintained by a very diligent grounds staff
- The rooms are very clean and the housekeeping staff are very friendly
- The room we were in could use some upgrades/renos; the taps in tub leaked and the tub and sink are worn and showing some rust.
- We had no hot water for a couple days in a row, but when we mentioned that, plus a burned out light bulb, to staff it was fixed within the hour.
- We had to request and pay $5/daily for an in room fridge. It was an apartment size, very old and kind of sketchy looking. The cord had to be snaked into the bathroom through the door, meaning the bathroom door couldn't be fully closed. The room only had two other outlets located under built in tables. Because they couldn't confirm a fridge ahead of time, we stopped at MegaMart in Montego bay and bought a cooler that we didn't end up needing.
- There are no in room coffee makers. We bought one at MegaMart along with some coffee cups and picked up blue mountain coffee and rum cream at local stores. This was must have for sitting on the balcony every morning, looking at the gardens and listening to the birds (a parrot and cockatoo that the hotel has on the property).
- The TV is an older one, ours had the colour fade in and out and the remote didn't work very well. Not a huge deal as you don't spend much time watching TV, but again, just an FYI.
- As noted by other reviewers, the two queen beds in our room were like CEMENT. They are very firm mattresses seated on top of rigid, built in platforms rather than on box springs. That combined with the flat, poly-filled pillows and the old, pilled blankets made for pretty terrible sleep conditions and sore backs. I've had family that have stayed at this hotel before (honeymoon suite) and had a different bed experience, so this isn't throughout the hotel apparently, but this was our experience and was bad enough to ensure that I wouldn't go back based on this alone.
- There are no do not disturb signs available for your door knob, so if you are trying to sleep in, you will be woken up by the housekeeping staff trying to enter the room.
- The AC in the room is excellent; we actually had to fiddle with the controls a bit as it got a little too cold sometimes.
- Having been to Negril a few times before, we had been to the Kuyaba restaurant multiple times and really enjoyed it, although it is more expensive in comparison to other places, it seemed worth the extra cost. However, I found that the quality of their food has gone down a bit. Its still alright, but now has you debating whether to spend the extra money or just walk to another hotel or restaurant of which there many to choose from.
- An issue that I had with my stay was around the bar and restaurant billing. I don't recall from last visit, but did note that on our bills is an included staff tip amount of 10%. For a guest staying at the hotel this can be really efficient as you can just sign to your room and not have to have cash with you all the time. However, if I receive really poor service, I resent having a tip demanded of me ( I didn't have a situation were I wouldn't have tipped, but just saying). For good/really good service, I think 10% is too small of tip, so on a couple of occasions I wrote in an additional tip amount. At check out, the manager has you go through all your bar and food bills to validate, and told me I shouldn't have wrote in additional amount because the staff have a hard time getting that money from the hotel, and I should just give them cash directly. Makes me wonder if the staff see any of that staff tip money that is added to the bill. I really didn't like that particular experience, if the staff don't actually get that money, then leave if off my bill and I will tip directly. If they do receive it, then something should be done about the service in the restaurant and bar as, even in Jamaica time, it is very slow.
- Much of our time was spent on the beach in front of the hotel; I found it nearly impossible to simply go the bar and have a tab run for the day. Doesn't seem like big deal having to sign off every time you go to the bar, but the bar service is pretty slow, and having to wait for a bill to be run each time in addition to waiting for a drink made it even slower. I've never had that experience before. At CoCo LaPalm, for example, you start at tab at the restaurant or bar, and just ask whoever is at the bar at the end of the day for your bill to sign off on it.
- The beachfront of the hotel is fantastic, with awesome security staff, chairs and umbrellas and kept very clean and neat. There was one staff member in particular (so sorry I don't recall his name) who would call out to us at breakfast to ask if we needed chairs. He would bring out loungers for us, put them wherever we preferred and put our towels on them to hold them. He made sure to keep an eye on our things and was very diligent with beach vendors, ensuring they had the opportunity to sell you something but then moved along very shortly.
- As some other reviewers have mentioned, there is a hotel nearby that plays very loud music nearly every night till the wee hours. Didn't really bother us, but I could see how some people would be annoyed. Certainly not the fault of the Kuyaba, and nearly impossible to avoid at most places on the beach, but if you're a light sleeper be forewarned.
- The room price for Kuyaba is very good in comparison to many others. While not as good a room as CoCo LaPalm for example, it was about 50% cheaper.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Riggles
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Yes the beds are hard but the A/C works GREAT! the housekeeping people are wonderful! the front desk staff were so helpful and remembered your name.

The food was great! go for breakfast, the Jamaicain Breakfast is marvelous.

This isnt a 5 star Ritz...this is a hotel that does what its supposed to do. Provide clean rooms in a safe environment. Perfect, no. But, it has a certain charm that makes it a place you'd come back too.
Located right on the beach, it's super convenient and the security guy takes his job seriously. Nothing and no one is going to bother you.

I would come back again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RhondaRoams
Kingston, On
Reviewed 18 December 2013

WE stayed here with some friends in 2012. We used to come here for dinner as they had the best restaurant on the beach. Loved the place and the staff But here's the catch. when we were here in 2012 there was a very drunk and very annoying guy yelling profanities from the beach all day all night. we complained but nothing was done. we decided to stay again a couple of weeks ago in Dec 2013 and guess what? He was still there yelling and screaming. The police did come and they removed him or a while but I was told he will be back. Totally ruined our time the in 2012 and 2013. we will unfortunately not be staying there again as long as that is still going on. I would advice you to check before you make a reservation. Too bad because we really like it there.

Room Tip: There is a major party place 2 doors down so you may want a room with A/C you can run till the music...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobandPamKingston_On
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 December 2013

After staying at Samsara resort for 4 nights on the cliffs, we transferred here and stayed a couple more nights.
There was a mishap regarding our reservation, so to everyone booking with them, they have to send you a confirmation number on top of the electronic email reservation confirmation and even if you we were already charged. I am glad I was able to pull up my credit card charge so I was able to show them. Anyhow, the manager sorted it out and they were very helpful and our room was wonderful with a king sized bed, air conditioning, flat screen and bath tub with jets. The bathroom has a his & hers sink and it was huge!

We ate here for breakfast, lunch and some dinner and everything was excellent!!! This resort is right across the duty free square wher you can buy almost everything and has a reliable ATM. There is also a grocery store to get basic stuff to alcohol, beer and etc. Wifi was a must for me since I'm also in Grad school, and unfortunately theirs was not as reliable but its okay.

The security guy is on top of eveything, and he pays attention to guests and non guests on the property. The beach is amazing!!! Shane our driver on our way back to the airport was stationed at the resort and his van was brand new and he was on time to take us to the airport.

I will surely come back to this resort!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple