“Friendly Staff, Great Food, Lovely Experience”

Kuyaba Hotel & Restaurant - Negril
Ranked #44 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Montego Bay, Jamaica
“Friendly Staff, Great Food, Lovely Experience”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The staff at at Kuyaba is really professional and very friendly.
We had a great dinner there and after we were treated so well we decided to stay one night in the hotel. The receptionist was very nice and helpful, the personnel in the restaurant extremely friendly and funny. Rooms clean and the entire resort is very romantically located within lush plants

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Kuyaba, Manager at Kuyaba Hotel & Restaurant - Negril, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so happy that you decided to give us a try after a dining experience. We welcome you to return for another stay.

All the best!
The Staff at Kuyaba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Kuyaba is FANTASTIC! Staff is WONDERFUL! Food is EXCELLENT!
The noise you hear is because it's next door to Bourbon Street, but the location on the seven mile stretch is perfect. Exactly where you want to be.
I had an upgraded room, and the housekeeping staff is AMAZING, room was kept very clean.
Remember to be kind and tip! I over tip because I want to best service during my stay. Tipping truly gives you reason to right the review the property deserves, if your stay here is not at least a four star, something's wrong with YOU!
It's Jamaica, like most other countries they depend on our tourism! However they are a humble people and appreciate the fact that we choose Jamaica as our destination location.
They are courteous! And very accommodating. I'd stay here again.
They went above and beyond for my group of eleven; so much so that when I needed a birthday cake, the chef was all too to happy to oblige. And the cake was PHENOMENAL!
Sit at the bar, get to know your bartenders and they'll open up your experience of Jamaica.
I felt safe and secure - no worries! The beach is very clean and the water was a consistent 80-85 degrees.
Everyting was cool. Everyting was crisss. Respec, ya mon!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank INANEWYORKMINUTE
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you've been to Negril, you know that the hotels on the beach are not too extravagant. That being said, this is a very nice hotel that gives a jungle feel, as it is made with bamboo and palm trees with a path and little ponds. It is a very cool hotel with a good location and nice beach. I believe it is one of the nicer hotels on the beach strip.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

After a small benchmarking in Negril (walking on the beach), Kuyaba appeared as the better place we were looking for : charming infrastructure with trees, plants, wooden structure for the restaurant on the beachside, average price.

The pros : it was the most charming place we've seen: nice room, clean, private balcony (but too many mosquitos to enjoy it), alleys between rooms and the restaurant on the beach side are pretty, 2 parrots in cages which say hello to you. Food is very good. the guard on the beach look after your things and brings you what you need.

The negative points : quality of service is average which some difficulties when they have more than 4 tables that may lead to very negative reports from people who just came for dinner.
The big problem : this hotel is located between party places which make a lot of noise during the night. We spent 6 nights in this hotel : all nights music was loud in the rooms and may prevent from sleeping till 2 am (we had one night with 2 parties in the same time ensuring stereo in the bed).

Room Tip: If the big luxury rooms are not available, ask for a room upstairs : balcony is nicer.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Skyfly09
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We moved here after staying one night in another hotel which was miserable. We were treated wonderfully here and the rooms were clean, large and very nice. They had great showers with good water pressure and air conditioning that works the way it should. The food was very good and the housekeepers, wait staff, management and security were excellent. We couldn't have picked a better location to meet the locals and have fun. Also it was very clean.

Room Tip: We had a ground level room with a beautiful walk to the beach. I loved saying "hello" ever...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Kuyaba is a great property for the independent-minded traveller who gets a lot claustrophobic staying on a resort compound that offers the same generic experience of anywhere tropical, soaked in sun and fruity drinks-athon destinations.

Here you will find a small hotel about an hour and half away from the airport and about a second and half away from the ocean. There are a few options for your room all the way from rustic to the lovely and affordable honeymoon suite which was the room in which I stayed.

The room was clean, had a wardrobe, full sized fridge, soft and lovely bed, clean functional bathroom (PS: if your water gets turned off during times of water shortages, just let the front desk know and they will turn it back on...there was a long dry season that ended during my stay) and a great balcony at the top of the trees that was huge, private and had it's own swing. Careful with that after a night on the beach with red stripes and reggae...think bed spins on a whole new level.

Check-in was easy, swift and not overly friendly but very professional and business-like...I love that about this place. All the staff was amazing and allowed their own personalities (not fake) some that simply did their job well while others were so hilarious and let you in on the joke.

The location is so perfect-right on the beach where you can stay on your lounger all day and chat with Leroy and Nick and the crew...everything comes right to you on the beach in Negril, if you need it, you will get it in no time and if you don't want it, just say no thanks, have a chat or go back to snoozing.

There is the mall across the street with an ATM but buy your souvenir's at the little shop next door...it's locally owned and likely you will get a treat while you shop. There is also another shop down the street to the right that sells snacks, beer, anything you might have forgotten that is cheaper that the mall.

The best part about Kuyaba is the food and the bar staff. People travel to Jamaica for many reasons but the food has got to be a pretty big draw. The breakfast at Kuyaba is an outstanding way to start the day and dinner is just as outstanding to end it. I would make suggestions about what to eat but I know they change the menu to include what is seasonal...we didn't eat at Kuyaba for every meal because there were so many other great places to try but not one meal was bad-not even close to bad. It was really easy to keep a tab going all day and we would sign for it before we went down the beach to hear some live music and dance or before we crawled into bed early.

You can't go wrong staying here unless you expect the generic experience you are used to at your favourite AI. If that what's you expect, then you might not like it. It's a little more rustic, a lot more local and you have to work a little bit to find more interesting things...but it's such good value for money because travelling to Jamaica and getting to know some of the people who live there is so much more enriching than meeting only other Canadians...although that's fun too. I'm just saying this will be a good trip if you book it and make the effort to know some of the people here...

Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JenR0
Reviewed 26 June 2014

On June 9th, we arrived at Kuyaba with anticipation that for the week we would have a fabulous vacation. That was not the case. First, I was not allow to check in until I paid the balance of my bookings. On Booking.com we found the price of $539 total. But the hotel previously took a deposit of $231 and the balance paid upon arrival. The balance went from $308 to $422 plus. Then I was told that my 3 daughters with me, I would need to pay an additional $187 plus for two for the week. A trip that stated at $539 was now $844. After driving 2 hours to get to the hotel, we were very tired so I paid. Then we were taken to the room which smelled of smoke , with two individuals with severe allergies we could not stay in that room so we were moved. On entering the next room I notice that was moisture and mold on the wall. I asked them to clean it. The next morning, I looked up in the ceiling of the bathroom and it too had mold around the ceiling. They changed our room again. They then showed us two rooms, an upgraded king room, one I started to get stuffy and immediately an a allergy attack. After the manager noticed that, we were placed in the other room. We stay okay in that one until we checked out. I was informed that the hotel knew of these issues, yet they were never corrected. This hotel has potential. I am extremely disappointed that these events happened on our first family trip in years. I never received a refund. They staff was pleasant except for K.

Room Tip: Don't stay there!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family