“Great resort and vacation”

Grand Pineapple Beach Negril
Ranked #28 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Just stayed at Grand Pineapple for a week and had a great time. This was a small all-inclusive which we really enjoyed after doing large AI's for the last few years. We stayed in a beach side cottage and it was literally a 30 second walk to the restaurant, bar, beach, street. Only one restaurant and bar but there was always lots of food, tables, seats around the bar and tons of beach chairs. For water activities they had several kayaks, paddle boards and a small catamaran/sailboat. The water was so clear and calm and the resort has their own section roped off to keep boats out of the swimming area.

As far as food options they had a different dinner theme every night so always something different. Breakfast had someone making fresh eggs and all the standard breakfast options, lunch would have the option for fresh made sandwiches and many hot options that changed daily. All meals always had options for fresh fruit and some desserts. And in between lunch and dinner buffet service they do offer grill food from the kitchen like burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese and really good french fries.

The bar staff were always supper friendly and they have a ton of mix drinks and frozen drinks on the menu or they would make whatever mixed drink or concoction you could think of. Red Stripe and RS Light were on tap and some name brand name liquors like Dewar's, Jim Beam, Southern Comfort.

Rooms were nice and we enjoyed the outside balconies in the cottages. We did have to spend the first night in a beach side manor room because they said they overbooked that night, they did move us by 12 noon the next day and the manor room was just fine, just couldn't unpack the first day there. There's a coffee maker in the room which was nice to have coffee on the balcony early every morning. The room was cleaned well everyday and towels always replaced, no issues with anything.

As far as going off the resort there is so much withing walking distance, many bars, restaurants along the beach, Alfred's an Bourbon Beach walking distance for nighttime live reggae, Jungle Nightclub was only a few minutes walk down the street which gets packed some nights. Times Square Mall was a 5 minute walk is you're looking for some souvenirs (or you could just shop right along the beach). We also did the One Love Bus crawl and stopped about about 8 different bars along the cliffs, that was a good way to see many other bars and some hotels on the other side of Negril, the bus picked us up right at our hotel. Rick's Cafe is always night to do for a sunset, make sure you flag down a taxi on the street instead of asking the hotel, it will save you a lot of money. Hotel taxi was $40 each way for 2 people to Rick's. Same officially registered taxi flagged on the street cost only $10 or less each way.

This was my 4th trip to Jamaica and 3rd to Negril, last time to Negril was in the 90's and I stayed both times on the cliffs. This trip was as enjoyable as my earlier trips to Negril and hope to return in the future. I would definitely consider staying at GP again because it was a great value and staff were all awesome!

Room Tip: Don't worry about room location, the resort is on the small side and you can walk from the furth...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank GdayNY
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril! I'm so glad that we were able to meet your expectation and make this an amazing experience for you. It seems you had a great time at the resort and that makes us very happy. We hope to see you both again.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at the G.P. from 4/26-5/3/2014. Married on 4/29 on the beach at the G.P. Beautiful beach! Beautiful well cared for grounds! Horrible Customer Service. Before I get into the negatives...the great people are Ranger Wayne, Angela, Sharon, Ghavri, Tracey, Kevin, and the rest of the restaurant staff and bar staff. Sigourney did a good job with our wedding planning. Simone took excellent pictures!!
First and foremost as soon as we checked in three rooms, 6 six people were downgraded because the hotel had "overbooked"! Mind you we have all had these reservations for some time now. We didn't receive our fridge until 1030pm 4/26. It took two days to get it filled and it wasn't even filled properly the way the poster is stated in the lobby! The next morning the other four people had been moved to their correct rooms. Our room wasn't ready until 1pm or a little after. Once we got into the new room NOTHING of our things were in there. Mind you, we were promised that all of our luggage including my wedding dress would all be handled with care and be brought to us! We called the front desk and they couldn't give me a correct answer as to where are things were. Then I recieved a call from my soon to be mother and law and our luggage was in her room!!!! We had ipods, ipads, money, and our wedding rings in the bags. What if all this had went to someone eles's room??? And the dress was not in her room. I called the front desk back and now I was extremely upset...they couldn't give me a direct answer as to where it was! I freaked out!!! Finally at 2:17pm our things were delivered to our room. We were meeting Lenbert with the One Love Bus Tour at the front desk at 230pm so there was no time for showers or anything. This def put a bad taste in our mouths!!! BTW..Lenbert is amazing and the One Love Bus Tour is free, tip well, and is awesome!! The wedding was great and everything went off smooth.
As far as the beach...it's beautiful with plenty of chairs and rafts to choose from! The watersports men in the building def need a new attitude!! They have awful customer service skills. They even tried charging four different people in our group of 18 $5 a towel!!! IT'S FREE REMEMBER!! My sister actually waited till the man left, walked in and opened the closet and got us clean towels! Even Angela heard us asking for more and them telling us no and she offered white towels from her cart to help us out since ours were soaking!!! The beggers and peddlars on the beach become a problem! We loved the muscians but everyone else you can say no thank you so many times and sometimes you ended up having to be rude. Which is not okay. Other than Ranger Wayne, who is amazing, all the guards didn't really keep them off the beach.
Would I come back to Negril and the G.P. ...NO!! I loved Negril, not the GP. We will go back to Jamaica but to Couples in Ocho Rios for sure!! Customer services goes a long way especially to us. We tip well, we are all friendly and to be honest it feels as if we didn't even get a relaxing honeymoon. We saved all year for this trip....we aren't very happy. And as a married couple we still never recieved our king size bed...come to find out three other single occupancy people were in king bed rooms...by themselves! You find lots of stuff out by just talking to people!
All I can say is I have amazing pictures from our wedding and I got to marry my best friend!! Other then that we won't be coming back to the G.P. and neither will our 18 other guests!!!

Room Tip: Room #35 and the block it is in is EXTREMELY loud when Alfreds is having a party. It's close to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Porter1022
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Hello and thank you for your review.

We were so disappointed to hear that you were not fully satisfied with our service during your Weddingmoon at Grand Pineapple Negril. We know how special this trip is for you and we want you to have the perfect experience, from beginning to end. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with us. I will be notifying the resort staff of your remarks. I have also sent you a private message for a few additional details about your stay and overall experience. Again, we thank you for your input and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My 5Yo and I broke away from the family trip in the country-side and stayed here for 4 days of beach time over the Easter break and had a really great time. The recent reviewers before me pretty much nailed their description of this place so I will try not to be repetitive.

It was not a good arrival to the resort – my one hiccup with this trip. After a 3 hour drive from the country side encountering pouring rain and bad roads, the last thing one wants to hear is delayed check-in. Sigourney, the assistant manager and her front desk staff were very professional and helpful with accommodating two very cranky and tired guests while the room situation was sorted out. My daughter and I killed time eating at the bar where the only food options at that hour were hamburgers, grilled cheese and another item I can’t recall. When we got our room 90 mins later, I had to wait another 45 minutes for the arrival of the refrigerator which came missing a shelf and not working. I had to wait another hour for the delivery of the second one so I was pretty much P.O’d by this time. I made the Housekeeping guy wait until I was assured this one could maintain coldness as I had perishables with me.

The GP property (65 rooms split into two sections) is colorful and very clean. The surrounding gardens are open and airy with low, neat hedges and beautiful flowers which are well maintained by Everett and his landscaping crew. I stayed in a regular room on the garden side across from the spa. Unlike the bungalows, these rooms do not have a patio but the furniture and interior décor is more updated. My room was clean although the bathroom needed some upgrade – there were no electrical outlets or hooks to hang wet cloths which I’d mentioned to Lancelot, the manager when he’d inquired on our stay. Wireless cost is ~$15US a day. Your cell phone’s wireless capabilities will work although it is a bit weaker on the garden side of the property.
Another note on the fridge - A stocked one is $65 but an empty one is just $25. Go to the Shamrock mini-mart next door (garden side) and you can find bottled water, wine, beer, rum, juices etc. to stock up on. John the owner is really nice. There is also a guy selling great jerk chicken right next to the crossing guard hut.

As others said, the garden side is the quieter location and most of the time you will find the peacocks there. They can be loud even at 5am but it didn’t bother me personally.
It’s a 3 minute walk to the beach side of the property; there are crossing guards to assist you. Use them! Many of these drivers are discourteous and do not stop even when they see you are holding a child.

The beach – it is not hard to get a chair and claim a spot in or out of the sun. The peddlers will come around selling fresh local fruit (sugarcane, Jamaican apple, mangoes) and hot beef patties. The fruits were overpriced but they were fresh and you paid for the convenience. There is also horseback riding along the shore which my daughter enjoyed a lot.
Hotel Food and staff - There was a wide assortment of food daily plus the staff at the bar and restaurant is very helpful and courteous. Jackie, Bethune (servers), Orane (chef), Ghavri, Vinton, Joseph (bartenders) to name a few. They got daily hugs from my daughter whenever she sought them out. These folks work really hard to make one’s stay a pleasant one, treating you like family. Please be sure to tip them for their services.

I did have the opportunity to check out other properties within walking distance (Travellers, Shields) and there is no comparison with the overall atmosphere and aesthetics. Besides the check-in experience, my daughter and I had a safe, comfortable time and we look forward to going back to Grand Pineapple.

Room Tip: get an unstocked fridge - $25. Go to the Shamrock next door and stock up. Garden side is quieter a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank shell11262013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it! I'm happy to know that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay at Grand Pineapple Negril. Your vacation seemed to be an amazing one and I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. We hope to see you both again.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I just returned from the Grand Pineapple Resort and can not say enough about the place. I read the reviews prior to going and I was a bit skeptical that the place could be as wonderful as so many past guests claim it to be considering it is so small. Well I was very very impressed and am more than happy to say that all of the great reviews are correct. This all inclusive is tiny compared to the others but that is what makes it so perfect. It does start to feel like you are home after a day or two because there is only the one buffet (the food is very good) and one bar (best bartenders ever, no wait for drinks) and the beachfront is where everyone not on excursions hang out. It does not take more than a day to fit right in with the other guests. There are no ritzy shows. A couple of nights had live bands with singers (very good), one afternoon had a manager's cocktail hour, one night had karaoke and that was about it for onsite entertainment but considering you are in the most convenient location to walk to all of the hot Negril nightspots, ritzy entertainment was not missed. There is no need for ala carte restaurants because you are a stone's throw from all of the best food that Negril offers and because the rate for this all inclusive is a fraction of what the mega resorts charge, treating yourself to a few delish dinners is well within reasons. The rooms are super clean. The staff are genuinely friendly and accommodating. There is excellent security and very fast wifi (extra charge). The towels and linen and pillows are top top notch. The furniture is in excellent condition (comfy beds). There is always more than enough sun loungers to go around, even in the shady spots. There is never a need to get up at the crack of dawn to "save" a lounger. The patio facing the beach is a great place to sit at the end of the day, chat with fellow guests, enjoy a perfectly concocted beverage and watch an amazing sunset. The beachfront is clean, soft and kept free of any unwanted vendors. All in all, unless you need ultra luxurious, 10 restaurants, 3,000 other guests and all the other unused amenities of those mega-resorts, you cannot go wrong with selecting this resort. I plan to return again and again. I cannot say enough. Very very nice place.

Room Tip: Resort is small so any room puts you within everything within 2 or 3 minutes. I as in the beachside...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
13  Thank 150nettaj
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

We are so thrilled to hear that you had a perfect vacation with us. It's very encouraging when guests post about how excellent our service was and how they enjoyed our comfortable, friendly environment. We always want to meet the expectations of all our guests and I'm happy we were able to accomplish that goal during your stay. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We enjoyed staying at Grand Pineapple Negril. We stayed on the beach side which was lovely. Handy for the restaurant. Although we did enjoy going over to the pool which is located on the garden side. It was nice and quiet over there and often we had pool to ourselves. The gronds were kept immaculate. Our room was lovely. Food was excellent and varied always found something delicious to eat. Staff were fantastic and their hard work and attention to detail ensured that our visit was special. A few names to mention - Bethune, Elliot, Conrad, Joseph, Winston, Christopher, Kevin, Dennis (security guard from ranger) and Vincent. Lancelot the manager should be proud of these individuals but also the people behind the scenes who we did not see but all contribute. My father in law enjoyed Lancelot's company as they are both Liverpool supporters and had in depth discussions about the climax of our football season. Went snorkelling a couple of times with Captain Moses who is based very close to the hotel and we had a great time. Went to Nine Mile and used Lindley who is a taxi driver who is often parked in the hotel car park. He is a Juta tours licensed driver and is fully insured. He made the long journey go quicker with running commentary about passing sites of interest and we enjoyed his company. Other reviewers have mentioned the noise from Alfreds bar which is next door. However, we did not notice. We used the wifi facilities at Alfreds which was free but we always purchased some drinks to compensate. The beach and ocean were beautiful and there were ample sunbeds to accommodate everyone and the trees provided shade. I must add that I found after 2 weeks the beach hustlers did start to get on your nerves a bit. They start their procession at about 9am and it goes on all day. This comprises of buskers singing to people asking if you want to buy drugs. Most of these do take a polite no as an answer but others do not, insisting that you give them a tip as they are hungry. Which as I say after 2 weeks wears you down a bit and puts you off going for a walk on the beach. This however is no reflection on the hotel but I feel is an issue the tourist board should address. If you are looking for a small, friendly well run all inclusive that has a relaxed easy going atmosphere then Grand Pineapple will not disappoint.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank fivedays2016
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you for your review!

Your kind remarks are greatly appreciated and it is so nice of you to recognize all the efforts of our wonderful staff members! We are so happy that you had a great time exploring Grand Pineapple Beach and soaking in all the beauty of Negril!
We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed at Grand Pinapple Negril on my first trip to Jamaica for a friend's wedding in April. It was also my first time at an all inclusive resort. From day one our experience was great. All the employees from the desk clerk who greeted us when we checked in on the first day to the bartendars were polite, courteous, and I believe generally cared about the satifsaction of our stay.The resort itself is unpretentious, intimate, colorful, and beautiful. It has two sides, a garden side across the street and an ocean side. We stayed at the garden side and had a great view of the giant chess board (which I am sad we never played) and pool. Our cottage was simple and could use some updating but had everything we needed for our five day stay. From our cottage it was less than a five minute walk to the bar and beach. There are crossing guards who work round the clock to make sure you cross the streets safely. Hint: Since it's usually so hot outside, buy a Pepsi from the Shamrock next door and offer it to your crossing guards. They cannot accept anything purchased from the resort but it's a nice gesture and they won't forget you. You never have to worry about going hungry because food is pretty much served buffet style from 6:30am to 10pm, with local restaurants and shops within a short walking distance from the hotel. Between lunch and dinner service you can order hamburgers, hot dogs, and grilled cheese if you like. If you frequent the bar, make sure to say hi to Vinton. He was, by far, the wedding group's favorite bartendar, who always had a big smile on his face, was polite and quick, and made the tastiest drinks. The beach is very nice, with aquamarine waters and soft white sand. You just have to be aware that there will be locals walking alongside the beach soliciting everything from fresh fruit to drugs to tourists but they never approach you. They're more like the guys in ball parks that sell beer, soda, and snacks out of baskets in the stands and call out what they're offering. My friend's beach wedding was fantastic, from the wedding planner to the photographer to the reception. My only concern was the resident peacocks that live on the garden side of the resort. There are about 7-8 hens and cocks freely roaming about. They are very peaceful and beautiful and one male leven liked to hang out on our balcony ledge every morning. But much like roosters, the males like to crow at dawn, which doesn't fair well if you prefer to sleep in ha ha. Apparently it was mating season for the peacocks while we visited too, so they were very vocal, which also isn't the best when you're trying to sleep. But considering we were in a tropical paradise surrounded by beautiful flowers, trees, beaches, and even birds, their caws were a mild irritant. Oh, and though the website states that tipping is included in your fee, I would highly recommend doing it anyway for the staff who goes out of their way to make sure you're happy. They're very gracious. In a nutshell, the Grand Pineapple Beach Resort Negril is nothing short of fabulous, with everything you'll ever need and some of the friendliest and most helpful staff. They almost make you feel like family and I look forward to one day visiting them again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Elana J

Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril. It's great to know that you had such a wonderful vacation with us. Our beach is one of a kind and I'm happy you enjoyed it so much. We are always delighted to know that we met our standard as well as your expectations by offering amazing customer service in a fun and relaxing environment. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My Husband and I traveled here last Aug/Sept 2013 to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We absolutely Loved GPN, the staff was welcoming, friendly and just amazing! Love, Love, Love the casual atmosphere, and that GPN is a small intimate type of resort with *The Best* staff, superb food, great drinks, and the fantastik location right on 7 mile beach. My husband and I had the best time ever, we booked a trip to come back this August 2014 before we ever left the resort then I decided I did not want to wait that long so booked another trip for myself, my best friend, my son and his girlfriend. We will be back in just 24 more days (May 2014) We are all super excited and can't wait to see everyone! My husband and I will be returning again at the end of August 2014. I Love GPN that much, again a home away from home!!

Room Tip: Beach Side Rooms are really nice a little loud at night due to Alfreds next door, if you want more q...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank n2dreamcatchers

We are so thrilled to know that you are going to be visiting us twice on this year :0) Your mention is very encouraging and helps us to ensure that we continue on this track of excellence. Thank you so much for your kind review. Your home is waiting for you.