“Pleasantly Surprised and Would Return” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Pineapple Beach Negril

Grand Pineapple Beach Negril
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Negril
New York City, New York
“Pleasantly Surprised and Would Return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at the Grand Pineapple because of it's location in the middle of 7 mile beach. We had a wedding to attend at a much more expensive resort just up the beach. We stayed here 4 nights May 8th to May 12th. After checking in our first room was completely unacceptable. It smelled of smoke (we requested non-smoking and the room was listed as non-smoking) and there was a pool of water on the ground emanating from the bathroom. Although it took 4 visits to the office and complaining to 3 employees they finally moved us to an acceptable room day 1.
Highlights include: uncrowded public spaces, GREAT BEACH, great bar scene at the hotel with countless drink options that pack a punch.
We found the food hit or miss some items were wonderful (tacos and all their fruit) and others were just alright. If you want real Jamaican food leave the resort and go to a local vendor.
In summary, this was an inexpensive and all-inclusive option along 7 mile beach. I would definitely consider coming back.

4 Thank Andy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our large group was here for a wedding. The rooms were just okay.

The service provided by some employees (Hannalita, Karen, Ghavri, Gary, Marvette, Bethune, Conrad, Rohan, Waynesworth) was excellent most of the time. However, there was an equal amount of inadequate employees, the worst of which was Joseph. Some of the people working there are smiling all the time and happy to help, whereas others simply don't care and treat you like a mosquito, just wishing you would go away.

The wine, not surprisingly, is awful at this place. Both the red and the white. And they have a wine list posted throughout the resort (additional cost), yet they never actually have any of the wines, and this was the case even a week later and after bringing it to their attention.

If you like your sunny drinks made with fresh fruit, this is also not the resort for you. Many of the drinks at the Grand Pineapple are made with terrible syrups and the whole time I was there I didn't see a single lemon or lime behind the bar. The only way I managed drinking here was to request strictly pineapple, banana, and papaya drinks, as those were the only fruits they actually stocked at the bar. Strangely, there were plenty of fresh mangoes in the market, however this hotel I guess can't find room for them in their budget.

If you stay here, you won't have a horrible time, however I would come prepared to avoid the fake fruit drinks and stocked with some proper wine from outside the hotel...which is a drag because it is supposed to be an all-inclusive. Also, there are not scotchs or premium import drinks here.

In addition, as we were here for a wedding and we had a large group, we would have expected management to come and ensure that everything was to our liking and that we were happy with our stay. This was not the case. We could have been anyone. This is not the place to come if you want to feel appreciated and welcomed as a large group, and to have certain perks and gesture thrown in.

If you're planning a special event with dinner and sparkling wine, the staff here will only be frustrated if you have even slightly high standards. For example, we had a few different wines on the go one night, and I explained not to mix them when topping up the glasses. The girl looked at me like I was crazy, and then later on she pored sparkling wine into a half-full glass of Chardonnay (that we paid for) for several of our guests...they just aren't trained properly and don't have a clue about certain things.

Fianally, some of the guests had requested room types that weren't honored, and the bride and groom weren't provided the room that they had requested either. The garden side is quieter, however getting back and forth is a nuisance because they insist on you using the street crossing and the guards are slow to get up. The quiet garden side is spoiled by their pet peacocks, as they will wake you every day starting at about 6 am...and then persist for the next couple of hours.

Room Tip: Beachside cottage, in the middle somewhere. You'll avoid most of the peacocks and not have to cr...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Adrian S
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Hello Adrian,

Thank you for your review. We were disappointed to learn that your stay at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril was not as expected and that you felt that our staff's efforts to resolve your concerns during your stay were unsatisfactory. We respect all of the opinions you have expressed and apologize if your stay was anything less than perfect. We want to make sure future guests do not have similar feedback and will take action by notifying the appropriate departments of your remarks, including the management team. We hope that after making the necessary adjustments, you will afford us an opportunity to showcase the true hospitality and beauty of our resort.
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

5 nights, May 7th to May 12th.

Fabulous staff, every single person was so nice and helpful. Great beach with calm, crystal clear water. Great location. Wonderful food. Relaxing and safe property.

The countless beach sales people can be very aggressive in their persistence but a firm "no, thank you" works. Although you may want what they're selling and can negotiate prices.

The rooms are Caribbean! If you want a fancy updated palace, you're going to have to pay a lot more than this and maybe you're expecting another culture to resemble what it looks like at home or in your country? The beds were very comfortable, soft in fact, but... the peacocks can be really noisy at early hours of the morning. One night there was an extremely loud DJ at a nearby location, with the loudest base I've ever heard and it played all night long! Other than that, sleep was not a problem. We had a lower level cottage across the street. The property has rooms closer to the beach and restaurant/bar area or rooms across the street. The pool is a cross the street too. There is the one buffet area and one bar, some food can be ordered throughout the day, like burgers and fries etc.

We would stay here again and again!

6 Thank rebelynnya
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
We really appreciate you posting about your wonderful stay at Grand Pineapple Negril! Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and it is always our pleasure to serve. We hope to see you again. Thank you for your review.
Cedar Run, New jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a very nice place to stay, and I would advise anyone to try this resort. The food was good and the massage was one of the best. We also took the van with a few other couples to the a few of the affiliate Sandals in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios for lunch and a tour. Dunn River Falls was so much fun, that is a must! I just warn you when walking through the shopping area beware, if you touch you own it.

Room Tip: stayed on the beach side, but I always tend to gravitate to the water.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank C2itlulu
Thank you so much for your review! I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Pineapple Negril. Your vacation seemed to be an amazing one and I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. We hope to see you again.
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

A boutique-like resort perfect for any traveler, couple, group or single, which is how I went. They have the perfect combination of spa, beach, water, and hospitality. The food was wonderful, buffet style for all meals with a huge variety at each meal. My room was tucked away in a little peaceful corner and was absolutely perfect, with a king size bed, and a little patio/balcony to sit out on and enjoy the ambience of the resort. The waitresses, waiters and bartenders were by far the most incredible people. Always smiling and polite. I received exceptional service at the bar from Ghavri and Gary, and Amoy and Nevine (sp) at the spa and sadly there were 2 other girls that deserve a hats off to them but I can't recall their names, one was my morning waitress and the other was the housekeeper to my room. The housekeeper came at a time that I was on the phone so I told her she didn't need to clean my room. Later that night she sent a polite young man to my room with extra clean towels. Customer service at it's best!! I had one experience that was less than stellar when I went to the front desk to set up a taxi to the Hummingbird Gardens (review to follow on that) Other than that the staff was incredible, everyone you passed for the most part was smiling and greeted me with the kindest hello, or good day. No one made me feel like an outcast because I was a single. The beach was beautiful and the water was exquisite. Good job Grand Pineapple, I will certainly be returning in the near future. I highly recommend you treasure the staff mentioned above, their kindness and professionalism is a large part as to why people will return and the secret is out about how good they are, don't let them get stolen away from under you, they could teach people in the states a thing or two.

Room Tip: I prefer a second story for safety reasons because I travel alone, and if you're a light sleeper...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
9 Thank Kara K
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The Grand Pineapple is a small resort set on the gorgeous 7 mile beach in Negril. The resort is affiliated with Sandals and Beaches but unfortunately the condition of the rooms is nothing near what the rest of the Sandals/Beaches chain offers. Regardless, we still had a lovely vacation.

The Resort: The resort is a small intimate resort which was a big positive for us. It is split over a road - half of the rooms are on the beach/restaurant side and the other half are on the pool side. I would recommend staying on the beach/restaurant side because that is where most of the action is. The grounds are well maintained and there are peacocks wandering around which my kids loved. There is a nice pool in the rear of the property - there is no staff or service of any kind there so it can be very quiet.

The Rooms: The rooms are really not up to par. They are very outdated and in poor shape - our bedspreads and blankets had cigarette burns in them, the furniture is missing handles and is mismatched and generally banged up, light fixtures are missing bulbs or shades. The bathrooms are worse - old dirty grout, patched up tiles, gaps in the counters, etc. Curiously there are very few amenities provided - just one small bar of soap for the week. If you want shampoo etc., there is an old canister attached to the wall of the shower that has multi-purpose shampoo/conditioner/soap. No phones in the rooms. No fridge in the rooms.

Beach: The beach is gorgeous. Beautiful clear water and soft white sand. The beach frontage is small but there seemed to be enough space and chair for all the guests. My one complaint about the beach is that one afternoon, the watersports staff took up half the beach playing a game of soccer which I thought was a bit clueless and inconsiderate towards the guests.

Restaurant/Bar: The restaurant and bar are located just off the beach which is so convenient. The food was outstanding - very varied, fresh and plentiful. There were theme nights - Caribbean, Asian etc. There was always a station in addition to the buffet - eggs at breakfast, usually a pasta at lunch, and a carvery at dinner.

Staff: The staff are varied. The serving staff in the restaurant were amazing - friendly, attentive and good at their jobs. The watersports staff - not so much. They were rude and lazy and generally very surly. Very unpleasant to deal with and they did everything to avoid having to help guests. The Grand Pineapple should reevaluate its watersports program - very disappointing. We ended up not using any of the watersports because it was such a nightmare dealing with the watersports staff. Housekeeping - not so great. I don't know if housekeeping is just short-staffed or whether there needs to be some training, but housekeeping was inconsistent. It took my parents three days to get towels and a bar of soap despite repeated requests. Enough said.

Security: The security staff were great. They were very diligent at doing their job on the beach and were pleasant and helpful to the guests. We had one unfortunate episode (not security's fault) where we found someone opening our windows in the middle of the night (because the window locks were broken in our room). When we reported it to the front desk the next morning, they couldn't have cared less. We did chat to the security person the next day and he made sure to inform the next shift and explained to us that there was someone hitting all the resorts. Unfortunately since all the resorts open up to the beach, it is difficult to prevent someone from slipping in but it is incumbent on the resort to make sure that guests can safely lock their rooms (ie. no broken window locks!) It was very unnerving for my 10 year old to wake and up see someone opening our window.

All in all, this was a lovely resort - its not easy to find a small resort and the Grand Pineapple has the potential to be wonderful. Management needs to make some small improvements but this could be a wonderful place.

Room Tip: Book on the beach side of the road
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank belchern
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Hello belchern,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Grand Pineapple Beach Negril. We are pleased that you enjoyed the beautiful property and the resort's quaint charm. However, we noted that you were not completely satisfied with some aspects of your stay and we are sorry if we were not able to meet all of your expectations during this stay. We value all of your comments and we will be sending your suggestions for improvements to our management team for further review.
We do hope that you give us a chance to redeem ourselves during a future stay.
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Just stayed at Grand Pineapple for a week and had a great time. This was a small all-inclusive which we really enjoyed after doing large AI's for the last few years. We stayed in a beach side cottage and it was literally a 30 second walk to the restaurant, bar, beach, street. Only one restaurant and bar but there was always lots of food, tables, seats around the bar and tons of beach chairs. For water activities they had several kayaks, paddle boards and a small catamaran/sailboat. The water was so clear and calm and the resort has their own section roped off to keep boats out of the swimming area.

As far as food options they had a different dinner theme every night so always something different. Breakfast had someone making fresh eggs and all the standard breakfast options, lunch would have the option for fresh made sandwiches and many hot options that changed daily. All meals always had options for fresh fruit and some desserts. And in between lunch and dinner buffet service they do offer grill food from the kitchen like burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese and really good french fries.

The bar staff were always supper friendly and they have a ton of mix drinks and frozen drinks on the menu or they would make whatever mixed drink or concoction you could think of. Red Stripe and RS Light were on tap and some name brand name liquors like Dewar's, Jim Beam, Southern Comfort.

Rooms were nice and we enjoyed the outside balconies in the cottages. We did have to spend the first night in a beach side manor room because they said they overbooked that night, they did move us by 12 noon the next day and the manor room was just fine, just couldn't unpack the first day there. There's a coffee maker in the room which was nice to have coffee on the balcony early every morning. The room was cleaned well everyday and towels always replaced, no issues with anything.

As far as going off the resort there is so much withing walking distance, many bars, restaurants along the beach, Alfred's an Bourbon Beach walking distance for nighttime live reggae, Jungle Nightclub was only a few minutes walk down the street which gets packed some nights. Times Square Mall was a 5 minute walk is you're looking for some souvenirs (or you could just shop right along the beach). We also did the One Love Bus crawl and stopped about about 8 different bars along the cliffs, that was a good way to see many other bars and some hotels on the other side of Negril, the bus picked us up right at our hotel. Rick's Cafe is always night to do for a sunset, make sure you flag down a taxi on the street instead of asking the hotel, it will save you a lot of money. Hotel taxi was $40 each way for 2 people to Rick's. Same officially registered taxi flagged on the street cost only $10 or less each way.

This was my 4th trip to Jamaica and 3rd to Negril, last time to Negril was in the 90's and I stayed both times on the cliffs. This trip was as enjoyable as my earlier trips to Negril and hope to return in the future. I would definitely consider staying at GP again because it was a great value and staff were all awesome!

Room Tip: Don't worry about room location, the resort is on the small side and you can walk from the furth...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank GdayNY
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril! I'm so glad that we were able to meet your expectation and make this an amazing experience for you. It seems you had a great time at the resort and that makes us very happy. We hope to see you both again.