“A Piece of Heaven on the Beach!”

and 1 more site!
Grand Pineapple Beach Negril
Ranked #28 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 10 June 2014

After a grueling Florida Real Estate work SeasonI wanted RELAXATION and SERVICE! And My Hubby and I got that and Much More! The G. P. Resort is a Quaint, Charming and Most of All QUIET immaculate resort on the most beautiful Beach in Jamaica! No Big "RA-RA" activities or games organized to disrupt this serene environment and your vacation.We would read and enjoy the Beauty. ONE DAY we went to check out BEACHES the Luxury Resort and "ran away"!!! It was like a "human factory" --people everywhere, Kids everywhere.. Noisy... YES beautiful, and for families, probably perfect. But not for us.
The G P Resort is not the Luxury of a Sandals or Beaches, but it is not their Price either!!!
Yet the Staff is of the same Caliber, top notch service and with a smile always! Bravo to ALL Of them and in recognizind the few I am going to name, I feel ALL OF THEM NEED TO BE COMMANDED! VINTON, WINSTON IN THE BAR, RICARDO , KEVIN, ANDREA IN THE DNG ROOM, THE FRONT DESK LADIES ALL OUTSTANDING --THANK YOU FOR YOU WELCOME and help throughout our stay! and OF COURSE VIVIENE IN THE SPA, EXTEMELY QUALIFIED MASSAGE THERAPIST.
On that note: If there is an improvement I would say that your prices for Massage are double (50% more) than the local prices and that makes you lose all the business - I only visited the Spa once, and many guests were going next door to the local ladies because of your rates! that impacts on the income from your resort and for Viviene, how is she to make a living?!!!
One other suggestion: more room for toilletries needed in the Bathrooms and hooks to hang clothes and towels.. ( perhaps behind the doors would be an easy fix)
THANK YOU FOR A GREAT VACATION--WAY TO SHORT.
VERONIQUE-- FRANCE/FLORIDA

Room Tip: The Villas on the Beach side were well worth the extra charge whereas the ones on the other side of...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank aquavero
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Thank you for your review!
We are happy that you were able to unwind and relax during your stay at Grand Pineapple Beach! We appreciate you sharing the highlights of your stay and also giving us your suggestions for improvements. I will be sharing your remarks with our resort management team for further review. We hope to welcome you back soon for an even better experience!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife, son, and I stayed from June 2 - June 9, 2014.

First, let me say that I have to laugh at some of the reviews on this sight...some people just can't be satisfied, if you know what I mean. This is not a perfect world, folks.

Any who, this is our 6th visit to Jamaica..1-Montego Bay, 1-Ocho, 4-Negril. Negril is by far our fav! We have stayed at the big boys (Sandals, Sunset, Beaches) and the Grand Pineapple is THE ONE!! Don't get me wrong...the others were terrific too, but they seem to be more commercialized and geared towards American/Canadian/European lifestyles. On the other hand, I found that the Grand Pineapple is more true to the Jamaican culture ... food, environment, and just plain simple and relaxed..just as the Jamaicans are in general as a society.

We have been to many Caribbean islands, which are all beautiful, but we have only returned to Jamaica for one main reason - the people! They are not just friendly, but most are very sweet and have a big heart - Ya Mon!

Ok, enough with my soapbox stuff - LOL! I agree with most of the positive reviews on this site. I will add the following:

FOOD - My favorite meal by far is breakfast. Omelets are made to order, crispy bacon, pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit, and much more. The only disappointment for me was that they did not have any bananas for breakfast. Having visited Jamaica previously, I was used to having these small but delicious sweet bananas available. After all, they have banana trees everywhere in Jamaica. We went across the street and purchased some from a local store because we were craving them. BUT, when the front desk (I think it was them) called our room to check if we were satisfied with room service, accommodations, food, etc., I told them I was very satisfied with everything, except the banana deal was disappointing. I told them it was still ok and that it wasn't a big deal. Well...to my surprise, they visited our room later that day with a "special delivery" - a BIG bunch of fresh bananas!! Wow...now this is just an example of how the staff really cares. Kudos to them!
Our other favorite meal was the Jamaican Night. Actually, I thought their Jerk Chicken was better than what we purchased from across the street! Loved the fried plantains too! The other meals were not great, but were not that bad either. Fresh fruit was always available. Mangoes would have been nice to have as well...but again, not a deal breaker.
We ate one night at "Catcha Falling Star - Ivan's" near Rick's Cafe. WOW! Beautifully situated on a cliff and the food was reasonably priced and excellent.

ACCOMMODATIONS - We chose to stay on the beach side. Rooms are very clean and colorful! This is not the Hilton or Ritz, so it's a wonder how so many complain about the little things. Come on...how much time do you spend in your room anyway? IMHO, the rooms are just fine...comfortable beds, adequate bathroom facilities, TV, dresser, etc. Our room was serviced daily in a timely manner with clean towels, etc.

BEACH - Negril has the best beaches in Jamaica. With that said, this one is one of them! This is why we came here!! Not only is it beautiful, but when you go into the water, it's like being in swimming pool...crystal clear, warm, mostly calm aqua water. Now THIS is paradise!

POOL - Very clean, but unfortunately is on the Garden side, so most people don't either know about it or don't bother to visit it. I used it a few times early to do laps, but then switched to the ocean to do my laps early since it was like being in a pool! ;>)

STAFF - GREAT! Most are very friendly and can be very personable if you let them. They really care and want to be of service to all guests. Marvette was a great bartender and cheerful. Waynesworth (we called him Wayne's World), who balanced drinks on his head when he delivered them and he even did a few shots with us! (note to mgmt: It was late at night, so please don't get mad :>) The omelet folks, servers, and the rest of the bartenders were also very cool and friendly. The front desk personnel were second to none!

The only thing that really never worked properly was the small hot tub across from the buffet. Again, this was not a deal breaker, but would have been nice to have.

I also want to mention and recommend a few other things:

1. The spa services are excellent. Massages are offered both in the Spa and on the beach itself! My wife & son did both. We also met a young lady named Opal. She gave me a massage like I've never experienced...from head to toe - back to front...UNBELIEVABLE hands of gold!! She is half the price and you can find her a few doors down on the left as you face the beach. My wife Fern & I befriended her and she is just a wonderful person with a heart of gold. I highly recommend her!! Tell her that Steve & Fern sent you ;>)

2. We befriended several Jamaicans on the beach who offered "boating" services. Captain Jack is his name and his Glass Bottom boat ("The Sea King" with a small Jamaican flag) is the first one on the left as you face the ocean. They took us snorkeling and we even went over to "Booby Island", where there was a very nice man (Kevin) who grilled fresh caught lobster, drizzled with garlic & butter. DEEEEEELICIOUS!!! Captain Jack is a true and honest guy you can trust and has a good sense of humor, too! You can spot him because he always wears a baseball hat and colorful t-shirts. Just tell him that the "Banana Man" recommended him! He also has a few others that work with him. Mike, who does not go out on the boat but is their "PR" guy on the beach. You will never see him without a BIG smile. I also gave him a Univ. of MD t-shirt, so he may be wearing that. Last, but not least, is a fine young man named Chad. He is very young and cheerful and plays a mean game of soccer to boot (pun intended). He assists Captain Jack on the glass bottom boat and helps everyone while snorkeling. He leads everyone in the water and helps with guiding and explaining, pointing things out as he goes. Chad is just a great kid. I wish we could bring him home with us to the States. He has a lot of potential. Again, I. highly recommend Captain Jack and his crew for snorkeling, Rick's Cafe, and other excursions he may offer. I already miss them...

3. As for "vendors on the beach", most of them are very cool and nice. Just try to remember that most of them have families too and this is their sole livelihood. If they don't take "No" or "I'm good", etc. for an answer, just either ignore them or be a little more firm. They mean no harm.

4. We met and befriended a nice man from Canada - George. There is a post on the beach that you will see that is "dedicated" to him - it has a sketch of his face and a red Canadian leaf above that. When he visits Grand Pineapple, he stays for 5 weeks or so at a time. If you see him, don't be afraid to say hello. He's a great character and we miss him, too!

Needless to say, we will be back to the GP as soon as we can! Every day when we woke up, we would say "...well, another day in paradise"! (and this time we meant it).

Thanks to all the staff at GP and all of the Jamaicans that have crossed our lives and have made our journey of life that more rewarding and fun! Irie!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
19  Thank Steve E
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I found the GP to be nice for the price, the food was pretty good. Rooms were nice and very clean. Beach is beautiful!! Staff is very friendly & accommodating. Rooms on beachside were very NOISY till 2-3 am! That being said , however I was put off by all of the locals trying to sell you everything. You literally could not walk 2 feet with out being harassed, contrary to what is said on here a simple no thanks rarely worked. We will not return to Jamaica.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MindynEric L
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Great place, great staff! 6 of us went to celebrate a graduation, a new job, and an anniversary. The entire restaurant and bar staff was GREAT, but we really enjoyed Bethune, Vinton, Wainsworth, and Marvette. The rooms are a little old, but kept clean. Housekeeping is friendly and trustworthy. If something isn't working, just call the front desk. Someone will come by to fix it, and they are nice, too. The food was good and there's plenty. My favorite meal of the day was breakfast. Delicious omelettes, coffee, and fruit, but there was something for everyone at all the meals. After a few days, it gets a little repetitive, but I think that is typical of AI buffets.
The beach is beautiful, clear water and soft white sand. I was always able to get a seat in the shade. We went out twice with the guys next door, Captain Jack and Chad, on their glass-bottom boat and had a great time seeing the cliffs, going to Rick's Cafe, and snorkeling. Others went out with Captain Moses and we heard good things about that too. Yes, people do try to sell you things along the beach, but security doesn't let them come up close to the resort. When you're walking or running on the beach, just say no thanks. We did wish there was more to do at the resort. There was a ping pong table, but no ball. A pool table would be nice. We walked to Times Square Mall a few times, where there are touristy shops and an ATM; takes about 10 minutes Right across the street is Shamrock market, a convenience store. Cash only, but the guy is friendly and the prices are reasonable. Note to the local government--pick up the trash more frequently from the residences surrounding the resorts.
All in all, we had a great time and would go back, mostly because of the staff and good value. You don't have to, but tip a little if you can!

Room Tip: Take a big, refillable mug with you that you can use for coffee or bar drinks.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Debbbby
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at the Grand Pineapple for three days from 6\4-6\7\14. As expected it is a budget AI however I feel there is some room for improvement.
Check-in: fast and efficient
Room: Adequate and clean. My safe couldn't close. And my bathroom could have used some new grout work. I stayed on the beach side and was very close to the bar and dining area. No noise from Alfred's at all. I'm glad I read previous reviews to bring an extension cord as it was necessary.
Food: The best dishes on the resort were the local Jamaican dishes. Please stick to local dishes. No one goes to Jamaica to eat Mexican or Italian food.
Drinks: overall pretty good and not watered down. The one thing that bothered me was every day they ran out of something..... One day it was Peach schnapps the next day blue Curacao then for 2 days no bananas. Seriously this needs to be worked on.the redeeming factors of the bar were Marvette, Joseph and Vinton. All very good bartenders but the standout was Vinton. He is one of the best bartenders I have ever met. Extremely efficient, friendly and has such a great work ethic to be so young. Kudos to him.
Beach and pool: both very clean and big. The beach is gorgeous with plenty of shade and chaises.

The property overall is well kept and clean. I stayed in a beach side cottage on the top floor. One note to management is that painted concrete when wet, is an accident waiting to happen. My last day there I fell down an entire flight of stairs because I slipped on the painted concrete stairs. This happened right in front of the bar and not one staff member came over to see if I was OK but another kind guest did. Oddly enough the same guest told me he has lost his footing several times as well. Please put some traction strips on the stairs so no one else gets hurt.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank trinionli
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Well it's almost been a week since we've gotten back and I do miss it. I knew this was a budget AI and we've been to the big boys before so we tempered our expectations. For the price, this place simply cannot be beat.

The good:
- As returning guests we were given a room upgrade right away, a nice spot near the beach.
- The room was clean and nice, not fancy but who hangs out in their room anyway?
- The buffet style got a little old after a week, but it was just fine. Nothing all that great, just average which again was as expected.
- The beach and water was amazing as everyone here said. Plenty of lounge chairs to be had on both sides of the beach, plenty of shade and sun as desired.
- Friendly boat operators next door. Captain Moses was a real treat as he took us snorkeling. The price is definately negotiable...get a few other couples to fill his boat and he'll drop the price.
- Fantastic security. You get bugged constantly from locals walking the beach, but security never let them get too close and quickly got them moving along.
- Marvette, best bartender once you realize she isn't a morning person LOL.

The bad:
- All the drinks were syrupy. Little to no fresh fruit, made for some sick stomachs at times and long days in the bathroom.
- Not much to do on the resort.
- Some of the bartenders had no idea what they were doing. The drinks and are listed on signs all around the inside of the bar, and they were often looking to see what to mix. They lost a ton of money as we had to dump so many poorly made drinks.

All and all a fantastic trip. Best $2,000 I've spent in some time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank kevin m
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I am a regular visitor to the Grand Pineapple. This visit in March was the first after Mr Pike, good friend and excellent manager, had been promoted. His successor, Lancelot Lebert and Sigourney Smith have taken up where he left off and are doing a magnificent job. There have been some changes and all for the better I look forward to future visits and to what they can do. I was honoured to be asked to participate in the Prestige Awards and loved every minute of it. It's wonderful to see such hard working people being rewarded.

I did visit Negril in May and was greeted with open arms when I walked up the beach to visit my friends. Things don't get better than this. See you in October.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank 1mackem
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you so much for your review! I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed your vacation with us. At Grand Pineapple Negril, we take pride in providing a friendly and relaxing environment for all of our guests. We always want to ensure that all of your needs are met and it seems the staff did just that :0)
Your second home is waiting for you! See you in October.