“4th time's the charm.”

and 1 more site!
Grand Pineapple Beach Negril
Ranked #28 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Grandpineapple is in my opinion the best place to stay if you want the real Jamaica.
The staff is amazing!
I stayed from May 22 to June 8th.
I have been to a few resorts in Negril and I have to say this is my favorite so far.
Rooms are clean.
Food is good.
Beach is amazing to say the least.
Took a great boat trip to Rick's cafe with Captain Jack and had a blast.
I also paid $15.00 to goto snorkeling at Beaches resort and it was worth every penny.
Took a few trips to town and rented one of the Hotel's drivers (Ron) for a day.
He is a great driver and tour guide.
Kari ann, Wayneworth, Stingray, Nickal, Venton,Ron and all the other staff that is missed you make my trip great.
If you want to really take a vacation and relax in quite this is the place for you. But If you like to go out to the clubs they are walking distance away.
The best place to relax all day and party all night.
Thank you Grandpineapple for another wonderful trip to Jamaica.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Carrie C

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The staff at GP is awesome! You will not find a nicer, more helpful group of people. The resort - average. Beach front is only about 75 yards total - not nearly as big and open as the online photos would indicate. LOTS and LOTS of "peddlers" on the beach. If you are one for the "local" experience it might be fine - for those looking for a quiet, relaxing and uninterrupted time, you will not find that here. Many times they even approached us in the water. The rangers do their best but the locals circle every day like seagulls - quite annoying.
On the plus side, the food is good and plentiful. Drinks are ok. Rooms are ok but you don't spend a lot of time there.
Highly recommend the evening catamaran cruise to Rick's Cafe. You can do as much or as little as you want on the cruise and the crew is so much fun and really 'makes' the whole trip.
Totally recommend Radeno in the Island Tours office! He is the best and works very hard to arrange anything you need.
Overall, would not go again - not my cup of tea. Would prefer more privacy but it is a pretty good deal for the money.

• Stayed: June 2014
7  Thank K K
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Grand Pineapple Beach Negril.
We regret to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations. Because of that, please accept my apologies. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We hope that you will reconsider your decision and return so that we may serve you more efficiently on a future stay with us.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

If you are looking for a resort with 5 star amenities and lots of activities, then GP is not for you. If you are a beach lover seeking a clean comfortable room, good food, and total relaxation on an incredibly gorgeous beach, then you've found your place!

ACCOMMODATIONS: It is an older building, but the rooms are very clean and comfortable. We spend very little time in our room, and it had everything that we needed. We packed our beach bag in the morning with sunscreen and all the other beach necessities and did not return until about 6:00 pm or later. We stayed on the beach side and yes, the music from Alfred's is loud until midnight a few nights a week, so if you are a light sleeper this might bother you. I could not sleep even with earplugs but my husband had no problem. He said the sound was a lullaby to him. We loved the beach side, but plan on staying on the garden side next time just to save a little money. I am not concerned about being awoken early by the peacocks, because I will probably already be awake. We are usually on our morning beach walk by 6:00 am. We thought the garden side was very nice and crossing the road was no big deal especially since we do not return to our room all that often.

FOOD: We found the food to be very tasty with a good selection. I thought the buffet food was tastier than the buffet at the 5 star resort we last visited. No, it is not gourmet cuisine served on a silver platter, but you are not paying for that either. I thought the grilled fish was as good as what I received at the fancy restaurant at our last resort. It just was not dressed up and served to you as the presentation is at a restaurant like that. And best of all... I could get seconds! Breakfast was our favorite. We already miss Keril's delicious omelettes!

STAFF: What can I say? The staff is such a sweet, hardworking group of people. Marvette was a wonderful bartender. We loved her big smile to start our day on the beach. Jacqueline, Wanesworth and many others that I just can't remember everyone's names, were outstanding. We absolutely loved our beach Ranger, Dennis. He did an outstanding job watching over everyone. He is such a terrific person. We miss him! Do not forget to tip the staff, including your Ranger!

BEACH: INCREDIBLE!!!! Calm, crystal clear water and soft sand. It doesn't get any better! We took papasan spring float chairs that we purchased from Wal-Mart back home and we floated in that gorgeous water all day long! They fold up nicely into a circular zipper pouch that fits right in a carry on bag or suitcase. $15 each was money well spent. As for the beach vendors, we had no problem with them and felt they added to our experience. We purchased coconut water, fruit, meat patties etc from these sweet people. They are just trying to make a living and $1 goes a long way with them. We will bring more $1 bills next time just for them. We loved the Jamaican feel of this resort and getting to know the locals; something we feel we would have missed out on by staying at one of those big fancy resorts down the beach. We have to laugh at some of the complaints. We loved the guy with the megaphone who passed by a couple times a day promoting the local music down the beach. His tune was catchy and we got a kick out of him. He in no way disturbed us. My husband loved visiting with the local boys next door who ran the glass bottom boat. They were sweet guys! Ann-Deta is the homeowner next door and we enjoyed our conversations with her and most of all, searching for Irish moss with her on the ocean floor. She educated us on all the uses and health benefits of Irish moss.

OVERALL: I am so glad I did not let any of the negative reviews scare me away from this quaint little piece of paradise! We have been to the big 5 star resorts but GP is where we will return! It offers everything we desire and we got to fall in love with the real Jamaica and its lovely people! Our next visit can not come soon enough!

Room Tip: We would be happy with any room here!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Okie711
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Thank you for your great review of Grand Pineapple Beach!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed this beautiful paradise at our wonderful resort and that our staff was able to make this stay such a pleasant one! We always strive to go above and beyond to please our guests and I'm glad we were able to meet that goal during your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back for an stellar experience in the future!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Grand Pineapple is definitely worth the price, but is also lower in quality than some of the surrounding hotels. The rooms are extremely old and dated, and lacking in amenities. For example, there are absolutely no available electrical outlets in the room or bathroom. Just trying to find a place to plug in my phone and camera required unplugging the TV or lamp. The water pressure in the shower was good, but the water disappeared on me once in the middle of a shower for 5+ minutes. The toilet stopped working no less than three times and I kept having to wait 30 min to 2 hours for maintenance. Housekeeping seemed to do a good job, and left my personal belongings alone. A safe with key is provided in the closet, which I used every day for my phone, passport, etc. But overall I was just very unimpressed with the room. In fact, I had to be switched out from my first room because as soon as I moved the pillow and sheets on the bed, I saw a lot of little bugs crawling around. I can't imagine the last time that bed was cleaned to have developed that kind of issue. Bugs are everywhere, certainly - but under the pillow!? In my second room the window in the bathroom wouldn't close over all the way, so bugs were getting in pretty constantly.

There seem to be so many little things they could do to clean up, like fix the broken mirror in the bathroom, hang the shower curtain so that it wasn't in the middle of the bathtub, clean the grout, rehang the closet doors. Most things were certainly kept clean (save the bugs mentioned above!), but they don't seem to care about keeping things modern or new, which is a shame.

I got a room on the Garden side, as it was said to be quieter. This was NOT true. The Garden side is where the peacocks roam primarily, and every morning at 5am they would begin yelling at each other. If you've never heard a peacock yell, it is a horribly loud sound that woke me up at the crack of dawn. I asked the front desk if they had earplugs - which they did not - and they said there was nothing else they could do. The only option was to move me to a different room, but it would still be on the Garden side, and having already moved my room once I was reluctant to do it again. Instead I went to bed earlier every night so that I would have at least gotten SOME sleep by 5am. Also, getting across the street to the Garden rooms was a bit of a hassle. You need to get across with the help of a crossing guard, but the crosswalk isn't directly in front of the hotel, you need to walk around for a bit, cross the street and then walk back. It was a huge hassle, and I hated to inconvenience people both ways. I started limiting my trips back to my room, which meant I didn't reapply sunscreen as much as I should have and burnt quite badly. If I do return, I'll get a Beach side room absolutely!!

The staff at the resort was absolutely phenomenal. Everyone was friendly and cheerful, and remembered you from day-to-day. There was one girl who worked the front desk that seemed very impatient and everything she said seemed "scripted" - but that was only one person. Jodi. Ovardo, Inez, Jacqueline and so many others really made me feel at home and welcome. They listened to questions, helped when possible and I really got the impression that they wanted my trip to be a good one.

Unfortunately, the "hustlers" on the beach were worse than expected. They were persistent and made me uncomfortable several times. I gave a false name to several and made up a story about friends and family who were traveling with me, just so they wouldn't know I was traveling alone. Security was certainly present on the beach at all times, but I never saw them chase anyone away or intervene. It actually dissuaded me from going down to the water a few times because I just didn't want to deal with them. And twice I was sitting in the lounge chairs on the sand and they'd yell to get my attention. You could not ignore them. One guy even walked across the beach at least twice a day yelling into a megaphone! Very unpleasant and ruined the atmosphere quite often. Of course the beach itself was gorgeous, the water was amazing, and there were plenty of beach chairs to pick from in the sun or shade. It was just getting down them un-accosted that was the hard part.

The food was very very good, but I don't understand all of the "theme" nights. Why would I go to Jamaica to eat Italian food or Chinese food? The first night I arrived happened to be Jamiacan night, and I absolutely LOVED the options. So it was very strange to show up the next day and be offered spaghetti and egg rolls. But I really liked the options for salads and fresh veggies at all meals, and the quality of the food was excellent. Please just put descriptions on the deserts as you do the main courses!! The bar was well-staffed, with a large drink menu cleverly posted all around the ceiling. There was never much alcohol in the drinks, but that's fairly consistent at any all-inclusive type place. The bar did run out of ingredients at least once a day - rum, peach schnapps - but were restocked within a few hours. The music at the bar was very strange - sometimes pop, 80s, reggae. Very little of what they played was anything I enjoyed, and I just wish it had stuck with more of the local music, and played the dance/pop stuff in the evenings only. Especially since this resort seems to be all about the "atmosphere". I loved the live band that I was able to hear on Saturday night - great event and good musicians playing local music.

I traveled by myself and actually found a good number of other solo guests to chat with. I loved that the resort wasn't just a cookie-cutter resort and definitely had a true Jamaican feel, but I wish they did more to update the rooms. That was definitely my biggest issue and biggest disappointment of the trip. I'd consider going back to GP, but would absolutely wait for another 65% off sale and I'd get a room on the Beach side instead, and I'd fully inspect everything BEFORE unpacking - lesson learned! I'd also probably bring an extension cord or outlet extender. The gift shop is well stocked with suntan lotion, bug spray, etc, so don't worry about having to get that stuff through airport security. If you want a budget Jamaican vacation, and plan to spend all your time outdoors and adventuring, the Grand Pineapple could be a great pick.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay on the Garden side unless you want to be woken up by peacocks every morning. If you'...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank RainbowGeek

Thank you for your review of Grand Pineapple Beach.
We were pleased to hear that you had a great time getting to know our staff and that they made you feel right at home with them. However, we were disappointed to note that you were not completely satisfied with your overall experience. We appreciate all of your feedback and I will be sharing your remarks with the resort management staff for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We hope that after addressing your concerns and making the necessary adjustments, you will afford us an opportunity to showcase the true beauty of our resort.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

After a grueling Florida Real Estate work SeasonI wanted RELAXATION and SERVICE! And My Hubby and I got that and Much More! The G. P. Resort is a Quaint, Charming and Most of All QUIET immaculate resort on the most beautiful Beach in Jamaica! No Big "RA-RA" activities or games organized to disrupt this serene environment and your vacation.We would read and enjoy the Beauty. ONE DAY we went to check out BEACHES the Luxury Resort and "ran away"!!! It was like a "human factory" --people everywhere, Kids everywhere.. Noisy... YES beautiful, and for families, probably perfect. But not for us.
The G P Resort is not the Luxury of a Sandals or Beaches, but it is not their Price either!!!
Yet the Staff is of the same Caliber, top notch service and with a smile always! Bravo to ALL Of them and in recognizind the few I am going to name, I feel ALL OF THEM NEED TO BE COMMANDED! VINTON, WINSTON IN THE BAR, RICARDO , KEVIN, ANDREA IN THE DNG ROOM, THE FRONT DESK LADIES ALL OUTSTANDING --THANK YOU FOR YOU WELCOME and help throughout our stay! and OF COURSE VIVIENE IN THE SPA, EXTEMELY QUALIFIED MASSAGE THERAPIST.
On that note: If there is an improvement I would say that your prices for Massage are double (50% more) than the local prices and that makes you lose all the business - I only visited the Spa once, and many guests were going next door to the local ladies because of your rates! that impacts on the income from your resort and for Viviene, how is she to make a living?!!!
One other suggestion: more room for toilletries needed in the Bathrooms and hooks to hang clothes and towels.. ( perhaps behind the doors would be an easy fix)
THANK YOU FOR A GREAT VACATION--WAY TO SHORT.
VERONIQUE-- FRANCE/FLORIDA

Room Tip: The Villas on the Beach side were well worth the extra charge whereas the ones on the other side of...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank aquavero

Thank you for your review!
We are happy that you were able to unwind and relax during your stay at Grand Pineapple Beach! We appreciate you sharing the highlights of your stay and also giving us your suggestions for improvements. I will be sharing your remarks with our resort management team for further review. We hope to welcome you back soon for an even better experience!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife, son, and I stayed from June 2 - June 9, 2014.

First, let me say that I have to laugh at some of the reviews on this sight...some people just can't be satisfied, if you know what I mean. This is not a perfect world, folks.

Any who, this is our 6th visit to Jamaica..1-Montego Bay, 1-Ocho, 4-Negril. Negril is by far our fav! We have stayed at the big boys (Sandals, Sunset, Beaches) and the Grand Pineapple is THE ONE!! Don't get me wrong...the others were terrific too, but they seem to be more commercialized and geared towards American/Canadian/European lifestyles. On the other hand, I found that the Grand Pineapple is more true to the Jamaican culture ... food, environment, and just plain simple and relaxed..just as the Jamaicans are in general as a society.

We have been to many Caribbean islands, which are all beautiful, but we have only returned to Jamaica for one main reason - the people! They are not just friendly, but most are very sweet and have a big heart - Ya Mon!

Ok, enough with my soapbox stuff - LOL! I agree with most of the positive reviews on this site. I will add the following:

FOOD - My favorite meal by far is breakfast. Omelets are made to order, crispy bacon, pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit, and much more. The only disappointment for me was that they did not have any bananas for breakfast. Having visited Jamaica previously, I was used to having these small but delicious sweet bananas available. After all, they have banana trees everywhere in Jamaica. We went across the street and purchased some from a local store because we were craving them. BUT, when the front desk (I think it was them) called our room to check if we were satisfied with room service, accommodations, food, etc., I told them I was very satisfied with everything, except the banana deal was disappointing. I told them it was still ok and that it wasn't a big deal. Well...to my surprise, they visited our room later that day with a "special delivery" - a BIG bunch of fresh bananas!! Wow...now this is just an example of how the staff really cares. Kudos to them!
Our other favorite meal was the Jamaican Night. Actually, I thought their Jerk Chicken was better than what we purchased from across the street! Loved the fried plantains too! The other meals were not great, but were not that bad either. Fresh fruit was always available. Mangoes would have been nice to have as well...but again, not a deal breaker.
We ate one night at "Catcha Falling Star - Ivan's" near Rick's Cafe. WOW! Beautifully situated on a cliff and the food was reasonably priced and excellent.

ACCOMMODATIONS - We chose to stay on the beach side. Rooms are very clean and colorful! This is not the Hilton or Ritz, so it's a wonder how so many complain about the little things. Come on...how much time do you spend in your room anyway? IMHO, the rooms are just fine...comfortable beds, adequate bathroom facilities, TV, dresser, etc. Our room was serviced daily in a timely manner with clean towels, etc.

BEACH - Negril has the best beaches in Jamaica. With that said, this one is one of them! This is why we came here!! Not only is it beautiful, but when you go into the water, it's like being in swimming pool...crystal clear, warm, mostly calm aqua water. Now THIS is paradise!

POOL - Very clean, but unfortunately is on the Garden side, so most people don't either know about it or don't bother to visit it. I used it a few times early to do laps, but then switched to the ocean to do my laps early since it was like being in a pool! ;>)

STAFF - GREAT! Most are very friendly and can be very personable if you let them. They really care and want to be of service to all guests. Marvette was a great bartender and cheerful. Waynesworth (we called him Wayne's World), who balanced drinks on his head when he delivered them and he even did a few shots with us! (note to mgmt: It was late at night, so please don't get mad :>) The omelet folks, servers, and the rest of the bartenders were also very cool and friendly. The front desk personnel were second to none!

The only thing that really never worked properly was the small hot tub across from the buffet. Again, this was not a deal breaker, but would have been nice to have.

I also want to mention and recommend a few other things:

1. The spa services are excellent. Massages are offered both in the Spa and on the beach itself! My wife & son did both. We also met a young lady named Opal. She gave me a massage like I've never experienced...from head to toe - back to front...UNBELIEVABLE hands of gold!! She is half the price and you can find her a few doors down on the left as you face the beach. My wife Fern & I befriended her and she is just a wonderful person with a heart of gold. I highly recommend her!! Tell her that Steve & Fern sent you ;>)

2. We befriended several Jamaicans on the beach who offered "boating" services. Captain Jack is his name and his Glass Bottom boat ("The Sea King" with a small Jamaican flag) is the first one on the left as you face the ocean. They took us snorkeling and we even went over to "Booby Island", where there was a very nice man (Kevin) who grilled fresh caught lobster, drizzled with garlic & butter. DEEEEEELICIOUS!!! Captain Jack is a true and honest guy you can trust and has a good sense of humor, too! You can spot him because he always wears a baseball hat and colorful t-shirts. Just tell him that the "Banana Man" recommended him! He also has a few others that work with him. Mike, who does not go out on the boat but is their "PR" guy on the beach. You will never see him without a BIG smile. I also gave him a Univ. of MD t-shirt, so he may be wearing that. Last, but not least, is a fine young man named Chad. He is very young and cheerful and plays a mean game of soccer to boot (pun intended). He assists Captain Jack on the glass bottom boat and helps everyone while snorkeling. He leads everyone in the water and helps with guiding and explaining, pointing things out as he goes. Chad is just a great kid. I wish we could bring him home with us to the States. He has a lot of potential. Again, I. highly recommend Captain Jack and his crew for snorkeling, Rick's Cafe, and other excursions he may offer. I already miss them...

3. As for "vendors on the beach", most of them are very cool and nice. Just try to remember that most of them have families too and this is their sole livelihood. If they don't take "No" or "I'm good", etc. for an answer, just either ignore them or be a little more firm. They mean no harm.

4. We met and befriended a nice man from Canada - George. There is a post on the beach that you will see that is "dedicated" to him - it has a sketch of his face and a red Canadian leaf above that. When he visits Grand Pineapple, he stays for 5 weeks or so at a time. If you see him, don't be afraid to say hello. He's a great character and we miss him, too!

Needless to say, we will be back to the GP as soon as we can! Every day when we woke up, we would say "...well, another day in paradise"! (and this time we meant it).

Thanks to all the staff at GP and all of the Jamaicans that have crossed our lives and have made our journey of life that more rewarding and fun! Irie!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
19  Thank Steve E
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I found the GP to be nice for the price, the food was pretty good. Rooms were nice and very clean. Beach is beautiful!! Staff is very friendly & accommodating. Rooms on beachside were very NOISY till 2-3 am! That being said , however I was put off by all of the locals trying to sell you everything. You literally could not walk 2 feet with out being harassed, contrary to what is said on here a simple no thanks rarely worked. We will not return to Jamaica.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple