“Reunion of 38 at grand pineapple in Negril, Jamaica”

and 1 more site!
Grand Pineapple Beach Negril
Ranked #27 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My Philippines Group 134 (1978-1980) has been having reunions every other summer in the Caribbean, accompanied by children (some now in their 3rd decade some still in middle school) and spouses. July 10-17, 2014 we returned to the Grand Pineapple, a Beaches resort in Negril, Jamaica. We don't look for fancy, luxury accommodations. What we want is a smallish, affordable resort that facilitates togetherness and conversation. For that, I love GP and would return in a heart beat. I think they up graded us. My kids all wound up in beach side cottages which were great. My partner and I were in a garden side cottage in the most comfortable bed I have slept in since our first trip reunion in 2006. The grounds were kept in immaculate shape. The roaming peacocks were much appreciated. The food was really good, varied and very healthy choices with plenty of sweets available. The staff was cheerful, courteous and helpful. The water served in the bar and restaurant seems to have been very safe. Our reunions have also been held in Akumal and Playa Del Carmen, Mexico, and Punta Cana, DR. GP is bar none my favorite.

Room Tip: Beach side cottages are convenient, garden side are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Sylvia B

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Just traveled 7/11-7/14. I came on here to read reviews prior to booking, actually after booking but in enough time to cancel. I wanted Beaches so I called the hotline to see if it was actually sold out and it was, so Sandals representatives recommended this property which they own. But please don't get confused like I did, transfers are not included although Sandals and Beaches are (same owner though).THIS IS NOT SANDALS OR BEACHES!! I read many good reviews and looking at the pictures, I thought this would be okay considering Beaches again was sold out and the rest of my family was at Sandals, I wanted to keep that quality. Rooms are extremely outdated, not just because of the TV, but linens and amenities as well. The rooms are full of bugs, atleast the one we were in. The AC is not the best. If they give you room 48, refuse it. The air doesn't work and it smells of smoke unless you smoke too (we didn't). We were moved to another room where there were bugs in, on and around the bed. The ceiling fan has inch thick dirt. This is definitely not a resort for kids, there is NOTHING there for them at all. The pool which is across the street from the property is DIRTY, and not well kept. I didn't find the front desk staff helpful, kinda of arrogant about my complaints. Spoke with the manager she was nice but I ended up even more frustrated to learn that our check in complaints weren't shared with her even in my attempt to be moved to Beaches and to be told that had she known on Friday she could've gotten us into Beaches. Now I will admit my expectations were high because of the reviews on here and the reservations line and the Sandals name. I don't want to use the term you get what you pay for, because "free" didn't deserve this. Sorry just disappointed!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Kishaye
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for your review, Kishaye.
We appreciate you taking a moment to share your concerns with us and we were saddened to hear that we were unable to meet all of your expectations during your stay with us. I conveyed your concerns to the resort management team and they were so disappointed to learn that their efforts to assist you and courtesies extended were unable to turn your experience around as they had hoped. Many guests love the simple charm of our resort but we are respectful of the opinions you have expressed and recognize that one person’s specific experience can only be judged by that individual. We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service and we deeply regret if we did not live up to your expectations. Thank you once again for your input and we hope to welcome you to one of our other lovely properties in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Once again the staff at GP Negril out did themselves. I miss it everyday. Can't wait to return to paradise. Yes the rooms are a little outdated but for how long I spend in my room, who cares....I only sleep a few hours then out to play all day! Everything in my room worked except the coffee pot and when I told the manager, they were right on going to get me another one but I said I didn't need one since I was one of the first ones up and started the coffee in the restaurant...LOL. Just wanted to let them know about it for the next visitors. Again...thank you GP for a wonderful stay. Looking to book my next visit with you!!!

Room Tip: If you want quiet I would suggest you ask for a room either on the poolside or close to the office...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Kimineese
Reviewed 13 July 2014

stayed 7/4/14 ~ 7/11/14
As to The Grand Pineapple...the place is what you'd call 'charming'.
The positives:
the staff, bar tenders - friendly and helpful and very nice
the food-limited choices but very good and always plenty of it
the drinks-weak unless you ask-then as strong as you want & the beer was always cold & seldom 'flat'
the beach-nice, sandy not rocky at all, clear water, clean & well watched over, but small
housekeeping-room was clean & kept that way every day, but done late (2 -3pm) most days
Sunsets - awsum!
the non negative - we'd read Alfreds was very loud - it only bothered us the 1st night - then not at all

The negatives:
They don't answer emails - they didn't answer any of the 4 emails I sent them - except to try to sell you Spa services and tours before you leave

The desk staff-couldn't get requests right, they changed the cost of the 'mini-bar' (after the second day) & argued when we called them on it - we had to bargain for more beer to cover the $10 extra (it was supposed to be $65). They tried to charge us for wine we specifically said we didn't want & didn't get. They also sent a bill to the room, every day, for room fees after they said we could pay at checkout...
Their website says Beach cottages have a fridge & make-up mirror - they don't and they charged us $75 for the fridge, 7 beers, 4 cokes, 4 sprite & 4 small bottle waters

The beach-It's maybe 80 feet deep & 300 feet wide of actual beach. They have way more beach chairs than guests, that are placed right next to each other - so you end up dragging them out of the way to get between them or put them where you want - not a biggy, but an inconvenience - they should store 1/2 of them and 'strategically' arrange them.

The Beach photo's on the website are staged - they have 4 trees that they show - there are a total of those 4 trees and being under them is a death wish - three of the 4 are Almond trees that continually drop 3oz fruit on your head - There is very little shade to get out of the sun.

The Pool- across the street (known), but no shade, about 20 x 50 feet at the very back of the property - looked like someone's ill kept backyard pool - & really didn't look like the photos they show, at all

The rooms: are really small & the A/C could barely keep up - we had No. 48...a second floor beach cottage directly behind the restaurant - which is too bad because it totally blocks the view of the beach on it's other side - none of the rooms but 2 would even have a beach view because of the way the place is arranged.

Kids- DON'T bring them! Absolutely nothing for them to do unless they want to build sand castles

The big Negative: cost $3115 for the hotel (7 nights, with Fridge)/airfare/trip insurance, $350 for baggage & seats on Spirit Air & $190 (counting tips too) for transfers = $3655.
Based on where we usually go (the Barceló Maya Beach/Caribe or Tropical/Colonial), which is usually less than $2750 for everything & is always a direct flight we wouldn't go back - too expensive. For that much we can go Deep Sea fishing twice, go to Chitzen Itza or Tulum/Xhelha and shopping in Playa del Carmen & probably out to dinner twice. I know, we've been to that hotel 10 times in 15 years and 7 others besides - this is our 18th vacation together and was the 2nd most expensive.
It's not the money as much as the value received and this was a $2500 trip to us, not $3655.
So yes, I'd recommend the hotel, but it's expensive for what you get, from Colorado you'll have to have air transfers - there aren't any direct flights and though we felt safe at the hotel, I'd not have wanted to go out shopping or sight seeing on our own. It took exactly 15 minutes after we left with Gary for someone to try to sell me a joint while Gary was in getting money exchanged!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Vacations1st
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Such an amazing week at the Grand pineapple the staff were lovely and always on hand to help. Security 24/7 and to help cross the road if staying on the garden side which I might add is perfect if you want peace and quiet but the luxury of not being more than a 2min walk from the beach. The food was great always something different and a wide selection. The beach was picture perfect could not of asked for more during our visit except to stay a little longer, will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014
9  Thank Emily2084
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Hello Emily,
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that you had a fabulous time at Grand Pineapple Beach and enjoyed every moment of your island holiday. It was truly our pleasure to have hosted your stay in Negril and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon! Happy Travels!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I’m not sure why this hotel gets all the glowing reviews, I guess if you'd like it if you prefer run down Motel 6 type of rooms (in fact some M6 rooms are even better than that, I’m not very picky and stay at M6 quite often), mold in your bathroom which leads to old moldy smell in the room, bugs swarming everywhere (rooms do not have bug nets and have old wooden shutters for windows), peacocks screaming all night, beach full of vendors and drug dealers (prepare to say no every 5-10 mins and sometimes they will follow you in the water) Some security guards shoo them away and some let them roam and don’t care if vendors approach you while you laying on your chair. They won’t leave even at night and stand at the beach smoking ganja. There is also a person who looks like a crackhead, he comes every day and fights and cusses at his invisible demons. He might be mentally ill but we rarely saw him without a blunt.

Food is very average, sometimes it was hit or miss, I wish they would stop with themes and just stick to Jamaican food.

Drinks were just ok, you have to ask what is the most popular drink and just stick with it if you like fruity sweet cocktails made of artificial coloring and syrups with only 3 types of fruit available: papaya, banana and orange .
Staff was mostly nice.

To summarize if your expectations are very low and you don’t mind all the noise, bugs, bothersome vendors, smell of ganja and Chinese ($7 eat all you can) buffet type of food, you’d be pleased, otherwise look somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MD2013
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Hello and thank you for your review.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Grand Pineapple Beach. Our number one priority is making sure our guests are safe and comfortable during their time with us. It's disheartening to learn that we fell short of this goal in any aspect and for this, we apologize. Our resort management team will look into your concerns immediately and take the appropriate steps to ensure that we do no receive similar feedback. Thank you once again for your input and we hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a future stay with us.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This laid-back hotel is perfect for anyone seeking a true Caribbean vacation with open arms welcome. Our home away from home. We want to thank our Grand Pineapple "family" for yet another wonderful stay. Warm greetings and thanks to : Kerry Ann, Teka, Rondino, Bethune, Jaclyn, Earl, Omar as well as Viviane and Inez from the spa.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank odilebenoit

Thank you for your review of Grand Pineapple Beach Negril!
We are thrilled that you had an incredible time on your visit to Jamaica and truly enjoyed your time at our cozy resort. The photos of your stay are wonderful and we appreciate you sharing a bit of what made this trip so memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back!