“Overall, a very good value”

Grand Pineapple Beach Negril
Ranked #27 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I just returned from a 10 night stay at the Grand Pineapple, so I feel I'm qualified to provide a decent review. First off, I'd like to thank the staff for a very pleasant experience. So many friendly people, I can't name them all! (You know who you are, and I thank you all for such a wonderful stay :-) I lost count of the times someone asked me if I needed anything, how my day was going, or even just approached me to be friendly and talk about local activities/Jamaican culture. The outstanding staff at this resort made all the difference. Even the security employed there I found to be helpful. (Shout out to Steven and Damion for watching out for me and letting me know who the "undesirables" were. This was my first time in Jamaica, I was traveling solo, and these guys were a fountain of knowledge. I think that they knew every character on the beach!) My advice: if you are not sure about a vendor, or want a specific recommendation, ask the beach security guy!

Room: I stayed in one of the "beach front" cottages. I used quotes because they are not really beach front, just on the beach side of the resort. The room was nice, but not what I would call 5 star. They are a little small, but no problem for a couple. The shower was a little outdated, but worked just fine with plenty of hot water. AC in the room was more than adequate. There was a safe in the room, a tv, coffee pot, iron/board and hair dryer. You can also request a small fridge. I had no complaints whatsoever, but someone who is used to more modern standards might be slightly put off. (Hey, You're in Jamaica mon!)

Food: I found the meals served to be very good, overall. Sure, I could get picky and say that the pineapple wasn't exactly ripe or that they ran out of fish for 15 minutes, but those things happen wherever you go! I can say this - I had no complaints, especially when the chef would cook you just about anything you requested. You could even order off the grill all afternoon! (Cheeseburgers were my favorite, but you could get a grilled cheese or chicken sandwich too.) No problem here, mon!

Location: I found the location to be absolutely perfect! You are within walking distance of LOTS of stuff! Times square shopping center, Albert's, Bourbon beach, Captain Moses, the list goes on...

Bottom line, I can't wait to go back to the Grand Pineapple! (And I will)
Consider this a very positive review of a really great place to stay in Negril...

Room Tip: "Beach front" cottage, for sure.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
14  Thank Michael H
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril. It's very encouraging when guests post about how excellent our service was and how they enjoyed our comfortable, friendly environment. We always want to meet the expectations of all our guests and I'm happy we were able to accomplish that goal during your stay.
We look forward to your return.
Have a nice day.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My families second time to the Pineapple. I will go again! A joyful place. Clean. Beautiful gardens. Very good meals and cocktails. The staff are excellant
Fantastic boat outings with Captain Moses and his son Chris. A great dive assistant Anthony.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My 13 year old son and I stayed at The Grand Pineapple from Sun, July 27-Sat Aug. 2, 2014. This was our 5th trip together to Jamaica. So we are seasoned travelers to Jamaica and we have stayed at different resorts every trip. THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR CHILDREN!!! There are no activities and what is available is at best, a bare minimum. So, if you are vacationing with children and plan on staying here, plan to spend money on activities like -- Kool Runnings Waterpark and The Dolphin Cove, glass bottom boat tour/snorkeling and other beach activities. So, honestly, what I thought I saved on the not so very all-inclusive resort, I ended up spending it on activities. In my humble opinion, next time I will just spend the money and go to Beaches, the Mother resort, Grand Pineapple is the NOT so ugly, step daughter.

The Grand Pineapple is not grand. It is a sweet, bright, simple and very accessible quiet resort for couples, elders and people vacationing who are going to be off property a lot during their stay in Negril. The dining service is fine. The food is OK. Looking for really good traditional Jamaican food -- only a few dishes here. I was a little disappointed, but I have had exceptional Jamaican food at an even smaller resort and when I rented a house with a chef, on previous trips. So, I was fine with the food. There is enough for everyone. I truly enjoyed the cheeseburgers, which can be ordered, with hotdogs, grilled cheese and fries until 6pm. After dinner, 10PM, if you want food, there are many vendors along the road selling excellent Jerk Chicken! Again, traditional all-inclusives serve food 24/7. I did buy a stocked fridge for $60 for the week, the rooms do not come with one or with any alcohol. The stocked fridge came with a bottle of wine, rum, several bottles of Coke, Coke Light, Fruit Juice, water and Red Stripe. Again, quite the opposite of traditional all-inclusive resorts. The GP bar was fine. I drink Rum Punch, Rum&Coke, Red Strip and Red wine ... I was happy. My son had all the soda, juice, virgin drinks and water he could drink. (I also purchased WiFi for the week. Again, my 13 year old needed that access to entertain himself when Mommie needed a break from all the activities with him!!! LOL)

Our ROOM, #29, was fine. It was clean, just enough room, good A/C, firm beds, but nothing special or Grand. The shower was strong and we had too many towels and only one rack! LOL The bright morning SUN beaming through the windows, in the shower was wonderful. There is a coffee making with Blue Mountain and tea. At night, it was quiet. All I heard was the music from the creatures of the night. If you want a luxury room with updated bells and whistles, this is NOT your resort. Each room has a porch and is part of a 4 room building. They are brightly colored and quite sweet. The grounds are beautiful and typical of the Caribbean...

The BEACH is the best part of this resort. Lots of chairs, beach towels and very relaxing. The water is why I return to Jamaica... There is NATURAL MYSTIC HEALING in the water! My son and I LOVE the beach and the water and that is where we were ... in the water! Talking to the locals who walk the beach selling food, fruit and services ... ALL of that is part of the experience ... We made friends with Anthony and Captain SpongeBob (Christopher) from Captain Moses. We had the best time on the glass bottom boat with them. Capt. SpongeBob was so good to my son. I do not swim, I wade, so when I realized how far they had gone, I was worried. Anthony, assured me that Capt. SpongeBob would not let ANYTHING happen to my son out in the water. My son returned about an hour later excited about his snorkeling adventure and he had the BEST time with Christopher! Those young men talked and laughed with us everyday. I highly recommend Captain Moses Glass Bottom Boat Tours. They also arranged for us to ride an inflated love seat that was dragged across the 7 mile stretch of sea by a speed boat! Again, something I ended up doing for fun with a 13 year old!!! Lawd have his mercy!!! I also had a superb Scrub/Massage Spa Special with Staffaine.. It was a $110 USA and last almost 2 hours! She is professional, courteous, friendly and highly recommended.

*Just a thought about TIPPING ... $1 USA = $110 JAM. $110 JAM can buy you a sweetie, I think... Giving a bartender or wait staff or anyone a $1 or $2 for what you deem as good service is totally appreciated and appropriate, in my humble opinion. Tipping for services like the Spa and Salon and other services, I tip like normally do, because I believe that is fair. Tourists are on vacation, the people around you are all working to ensure that you have a good time. Tipping in a gesture that is greatly appreciated.

Overall, we had a great trip! We made lots of friends at the GP and we had a blast! if we return to Negril, it will definitely stay at the bigger Mama Resort -- Beaches. The Grand Pineapple needs a revision and upgrading. The Grand Pineapple needs "New Leadership" to define what makes it special and to clearly market that specialty to its potential visitors. The Grand Pineapple has that old Jamaican charm, nestled on one of the best beaches in the world and it truly is very sweet, sweet pineapple...

Room Tip: Rooms on the beachside are near the beach, dining and front desk. Other side has the Spa and Salon...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank Josette M
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed end of March to April1 because heard so much about the beach at Negril and am a solo traveler. Booked trip on beachside ( a must in my opinion)and its a long distance form airport. Arrived to find they did not have Beachside room available then because they apparently overbooked or goofed. First night across road in worst room ever stayed in Caribbean! Rust, mildew and peeling paint on tub no less. Front desk said no other rooms available. Next day they did have my beachside room and it was just OK, overlooking the parking lot and road. No closet doors and again the bathroom was shoddy. This resort definitely needs a makeover. The colorful cottages closer to beach seemed great from outside. Only one buffet dining area with restricted times and the one bar was adequate, although could not believe it ran out of bananas for weekend drinks! When checking out, received note under door night before telling me when ride would arrive. Had time for leisurely breakfast, finished and relaxed in breezeway near the office. Noticed a large passenger van pull in ( one hour before MY time). It was for me-- now rapid trip to room grabbing bags and checking out. Only then did they say I had a $24 credit at Gift Shop on my bill due to lower priced room the 1st night. No time to spend so asked for credit on bill, told No Can Do. Requested a printed statement that credit card would be credited the $24, which of course didn't happen after getting home. Quality of rooms and resort was below what I'm used to so being kind in a C rating. Never agin at Grand Pineapple for me.

Room Tip: Get a Cottage on the Beachside.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank James L
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We visited for a family vacation and while it was a good place to stay together as a group it is not the right fit those looking for a typical all-inclusive resort.

While listed as a Sandals/Beaches property it is the poorly treated step-sister at best. This resort should NOT be listed as an all-inclusive but more like an INN with some amenities.

Let's start with the concept & design: The resort is split into two properties across the street from each other, Beachside & Gardenside.

Beachside versus Gardenside is a no brainer as Garden side only has an uninviting pool with a few lounge chairs, and minimum to no sun protection. There are no beach umbrellas or tables & its missing the #1 attraction at any resort pool : A BAR.

The all-inclusive amenities are more like perks of the hotel if they were listed as non-inclusive. There is 1 restaurant & 1 bar that close at 12am, both outside on the Beachside. The bar has no popular or unpopular brands of vodka, gin or tequila. They have the most random brands: Kira vodka, Jose Lopez tequila & old tom gin. The bright spots of the bar are the frozen mixed drinks, Dewar's whiskey & red stripe on draught.

There are no indoor respites from the heat other than your room. You have to eat all three meals outside regardless of the weather. The restaurant is covered but when they pull down the sides to keep the rain out, you loose all air circulation. Oh and not to mention the bugs biting you at every meal.

The meals are themed but overall the same daily. Some good, some bad, mostly chicken & fish stewed or fried. Burgers & hot dogs were not what we expected (in taste) but at least the Fries were the star of the show.

There are no resort activities or staff to entertain you, other than a random scavenger hunt that gets the winner a bottle of rum and losers 20% off at the gift shop. In addition, the limited Watersports aren't advertised or emphasized.

The best thing about this place are the rooms and the staff. Air conditioner in the rooms were fabulous and some staff go above & beyond to keep guests happy.

Mavette, Ricardo, Christopher, Kevin & Waynesworth made sure that all our needs were met at any given time even when we were being spoiled Jamericans.

I would recommend this place to people who just need a place to sleep near a beautiful beach when visiting Jamaica, if you can't find a non-inclusive at a cheaper rate.

Room Tip: Beachside is more populated and located closer to the food, bar and beach. Main building rooms have...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Roma B
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Hello Roma,

We appreciate you taking the time to post about your stay. We were happy to hear that our staff took great care of you, ensuring all your needs were met and that you enjoyed your time in Jamaica. Still, it seems that we did not completely meet your expectations and we were saddened to hear that you were not fully satisfied. We are grateful for your feedback as it is quite helpful in identifying the areas which we can make some improvements to provide our guests with an even better vacation experience. We hope that you will return and allow us the opportunity to showcase the true beauty of Grand Pineapple Beach.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I can neither rave about nor put down this place. The people are very nice and go out of there way for you. They are the true asset of this place.

The rooms are a little dated, but Jamaica is dated. The pillows were not what I like, but I did have pillows. There are tiny spider ants everywhere ready to pounce on anything you put down. That however seemed like something unavoidable. The room was still clean. The room steward didn't bring additional bar soap for me. I think because there was a soap/shampoo dispenser in the shower like the ones found on cruise ships. I didn't like the smell of it, though. There was no elevator so that may have prevented my room steward from bringing all her supplies. My friends had a cottage room. The beds seemed a bit more plush. The closet was enclosed. The room was tight, though. The beachside did get noisy some nights. The cottage rooms were closer to the beach, so you could hear the entertainment from a neighboring hotel. The beachside manor room was just far enough from the beach to avoid the noise.

The breakfast was good. There was a different hot cereal every morning. There were omelets every morning as well as an assortment of fruit, pastries, meats and even vegetables.
Jamaican food night was disappointing for me as I enjoy Jamaican food and this seemed a bit toned down. At peak times, there is not always enough seating in the dining area. The staff however will work very hard to accomodate you should you not find an available table.

Again it is the staff that makes this place nice. Someone brought up my luggage when I arrived and took it down for me when I left without me asking. My drinks/smoothies from the bar were served with a huge smile (on the picture she is concentrating on layering the drink.)

When there was not formal meal service, hamburgers and grilled cheese are available upon request from the waitstaff. It was not my mama's grilled cheese, but it was available

Room Tip: Beachside manor rooms are quieter at night but you get street noise in the morning
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Holly W
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Hello and thank you for posting about your stay at Grand Pineapple Beach.
While we were pleased to hear that our wonderful staff members too excellent care of you during your visit to Jamaica, we were disappointed to learn that there were a few things that did not quite meet your standards. We appreciate all of your feedback as we are constantly evaluating our performance and your helpful input helps identify which areas can be improved upon to continue providing our guests with best vacation experience possible. I will be sure to share your findings with the resort management team for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We do hope to welcome you back in the near future for an even better time in paradise.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Well, the Grand Pinapple did it again. Totally awesome people from top to bottom, they did everything to make this stay wonderful. The staff from the front desk, to the dining room and to the bar were all so accommodating, we didn't want to leave. Big ups to ya Grand Pinapple!

Room Tip: Rooms on the other side of the road are just fine as well, don't loose sleep over where your roo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank tmcqueeney

Thank you so much for your review! I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed your vacation with us. At Grand Pineapple Resorts, we take pride in providing a friendly and relaxing environment for all of our guests. We always want to ensure that all of your needs are met and it seems the staff at Grand Pineapple Negril did just that. Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again.
Have a nice day.