“Totally recommended”

Ranked #14 of 49 Speciality Lodging in Negril
London, United Kingdom
“Totally recommended”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This hotel is locally owned. It is a shopping village which has now added just four rooms (a few more being built) so it is morphing into a hotel with shopping village. Great idea. Top quality rooms that are excellent value for money with two double beds. So much attention to detail which even includes a UK socket in the room. Lovely bathroom with powerful hot shower. Note there is no bath which I think is a plus. Very clean throughout. An iron and iron board are in each room but a kettle would be so nice.

The doors to outside are glass and only have net curtains so this was a bit worrying at night. We were glad that we were the only guests there at the time. Also we didn't feel like we could open the curtains during the day as it would give a clear view into our room for the shoppers that get bussed in to shop in this shopping village. I don't think the curtains are meant to be opened - but I also don't think we went there to stay inside!

Rooms are non smoking but convenient tables and chairs directly outside on your own little covered terrace can be used for smoking if you are that way inclined. Good quality satellite TV should you wish to watch that in the long quiet evenings. We were there during the quiet season, so the shops and restaurant close at 6pm which that means eating out is a must. Good reason to check out the local bars/restaurants. Past Time next door has a fruit man there which is excellent value and really very nice and great for breakfast, their lobster though fresh is expensive.

I am a vegan and very particular (ok, fussy!) with my food, and the chef at The Boardwalk was happy to accommodate and prepare lovely Jamaican meals especially for me, with a bit of notice.

This hotel is at the very far end of 7 mile beach, so it is not walking distance to the town. Stand on the road side and wait for a passing taxi to pick you up. There will be other passengers in the car which makes it very cheap. Expect to pay $100 Jamaican per person to go one way down "the beach road"

A strange thing at this hotel is that you are expected to pay to use the cushions on the beach chairs. That's $5 US per day. Personally I think that staying guests shouldn't have to pay. The fee is for cushion and beach locker (which of course guests don't need). This needs to be rethought. I did mention it to management, so hopefully it will be changed.

The staff are polite.

The people running the shops do not try to drag you into the shops and are very friendly. No high pressure sales, which is markedly different to the markets.

On the whole, it is a quiet hotel, but it gets lively at points during the day when shoppers etc get bussed in to use the beach, bar and shopping village. As mentioned, we were there in low season, so I'm sure it livens up at different times of the year.

I totally recommend it for quality, location, cleanliness and value for money.

I wish I could show the picture of our room, but its a panoramic one and I don't think it shows properly.

Room Tip: Only a few rooms. All on ground floor. All are excellent (we viewed them all)