“Service, Service, Service”

The Golden Sunset Hotel
The Golden Sunset Hotel
Ranked #72 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 12 August 2014

There is nothing worse than spending hundreds even thousands of dollars on a vacation and encountering the most terrible service. Fortunately, for me this was not the case at Golden Sunset. I loved this hotel for many reasons 1) Jenny was amazing. Very hospitable and willing to make my stay as comfortable as possible. Always pleasant and helpful 2) The price was fair 3) The grounds were beautiful--truly a garden view 4) Kitchenette in the room was such a great option to have. If you don't want to eat out the entire time and want to cook or hire someone to cook for you this is fantastic. 5) Free Wi-fi!!!!!! Need I say more. Friends at other hotels who paid more complained about poor service, not even a coffee pot in their rooms and wi-fi was an extra expensive charge. I would stay there again and strongly recommend.

Room Tip: Get the room with A/C. A fan when it is really hot doesn't help very much.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank pureAzure
There are newer reviews for The Golden Sunset Hotel

Reviewed 12 June 2014

price is right, location excellent, right across the street from a fish and chips restaurant which is on the beach, receptionist is extremely helpful with finding the hot spots in Negril and also connected us to a very knowledgeable driver, lots of fruit trees on premises, owner did not mind us helping ourselves. close to jerk fish

Room Tip: top floors have balcony and are more private
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Hot water and internet services were spotty but the helpfulness and friendliness of Jenny more than compensated - my vacation was short and I was happy to not have the intrusion of others. Like some have indicated, the place can do with some sprucing up, but it was always clean. I was mostly drawn to the homey none resort atmosphere in the compound. The location is central and is in easy proximity to the nearby town and Times Square, a tourist mall. Best of all though, Sunset Villas has easy access to the beach which is right across the street at Alfred's (part of the Arthur family compound). At that venue after a morning swim, I ate breakfast that included the local akee and saltfish and in the evenings I sat beneath Alfred's coconut tree and had dinner or simply sipped a drink and watched the beautiful sunset.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ann V
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I have stayed here many times and consider it my home away from home. The staff are wonderful and very helpful. Mr.Ray (owner) is easy to talk to and a very nice person.
Although the hotel is one of the older ones in Negril it is very comfortable. Yes, there are a few problems but none so great that I would consider leaving. The rooms I have stayed in are "at the back" of the property (which is lovely BTW) and I enjoy them. And sometimes, if you are lucky you might have a morning visitor (see pix).
As for TV - do you go to watch it or have a holiday? I use the kitchen and find it fine and enough for my needs.
If you are looking for a reasonably priced beach road hotel then The Golden Sunset is it. And, although it is across the road from the beach it's not a problem. The Arthur Family owns the property from the beach to the Morass so accessing the beach is easy.
I would and have recommend this hotel to a lot of others. Oh, I will be back there in December-January this year.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank slpca
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I have to say that the rooms here were not great. They gave us a room at the back of the property (even though we booked in March), it was musty, bathroom and kitchen gross. Apparently, the best rooms are for return visitors.
We thought...maybe we're being picky...so we asked others to have a look and they agreed the room was pretty bad. The AC was not working well and neither was the cable. I will not being staying here again.
I must say that the balcony was quite nice and clean. I asked management if they would stay in the room and they admitted that it could be better. If they do some renovations then we can talk.

Room Tip: Perhaps if you ask for a room at the front of the property you'll get a better deal (speculation...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank jrsmile
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a week of partying in Negril. The hotel is located on a pretty central location on the strip (garden side), near to Times Square Mall. Our room consisted of 2 beds and came with a kitchen area. The room was pretty clean but pretty dated to say the least, the linens didn't match and the furniture was old. I didn't use the kitchen so I cant speak to that. The hot water was pretty intermittent. They only had one iron to share for the entire hotel which was pretty annoying. Also the WiFi never worked.

The lady at the front desk however was pretty helpful and that was probably the best part of the stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Renee_AP
Reviewed 20 April 2010

For many years (approximately 20!) we have enjoyed a trip to paradise, or that stretch of white sand that sets Negril apart from the rest of the Caribbean. A large part of our willingness to return to this tiny spot in the world, with countless other travel opportunities luring us, is the genuine warmth we feel from the staff at The Golden Sunset. Randy and I have traveled to New Zealand, Australia, and many states in the U.S. and will continue to seek adventures in parts unknown. However, the annual trek to Negril is Randy's midwinter shot in the arm, a prescription that reads: Call the Golden Sunset. Book 10 days now. Frost bite will disappear and peace of mind will follow. The resort is small enough to be friendly, large enough to offer several levels of room amenities, and memorable enough to make you return. Randy and Melissa

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple