“Brilliant hotel and staff.”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Stayed from 21/5 until 4/6 and what a great hotel it is. Transfer from the airport takes about 1.5 hours during rush hour.Check in was so quick it was an experience to behold. Stayed in block 2 upper floor( there are no lifts so be prepared to haul your luggage....or the bell boy will do it for you.).Room was excellent, large and spotlessly clean, and the bed was huge...bigger than a king size.TV was outdated, with some US channels and some Spanish. There was no remote in the room upon arrival.... whilst passing reception at supper time we mentioned this, upon our return remote had been delivered.Had a few issues with the A/C getting rather loud, spoke to reception who sent an engineer out to rectify, but after a few days the noise returned so we were offered a new room and upgraded to an ocean view room which was just as clean and even larger than the previous room, at no extra charge. All staff go out of their way to ensure you have a great holiday, even the gardeners will wish you a good morning/afternoon. The buffet meals were excellent, enough choice for everybody not to go hungry. Tried the Sir Andrew gourmet restaurant, meal was good but vegetables were on the cold side, but that was my opinion. Also ate at the Shadows steak restaurant, this was an excellent meal. Booking for the speciality restaurants are made 2 days in advance for 2 sittings 7pm and 9pm. So if you are there for a short break the lady who takes the bookings will try her best to accommodate you. All the bar staff were excellent, and did a great job. The singing barman at the lobby bar was very good entertainment. Drinks were prety good, and if you think they are too weak or watered down, just ask for an extra shot or two. Pools were clean and the main pool was quite large, big enough for a good swim. Jerk chicken from the hut on the beach was top notch, and the sauce hit the right places. Entertainment crew worked tirelessly, and they did a good job with the evening entertainment. Beach was clean and the water was clear, but could do with a bit more sand in places. Vendors on the beach do not hastle you, they will try and sell you their wares that`s all....if you aren`t interested a polite no will surfice, they will most probably carry on talking to you.RESPECT!!!!!! a walk up the beach to the riu palace takes 10 mins, this is not as good as the club, so save your money and stay here.......and finally..........for all the folk who book with their travel agents and presume they are booking the riu palace but end up at the club negril....don`t moan about the hotel....... complain about your travel agents. This hotel and it`s staff are brilliant......enjoy!!!! Any questions, feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: Ask for block 1 if you strugle to walk far, however, block 4 would be fine for quite a few who would...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank taffmorris
Write a ReviewReviews (5,639)

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Stayed at the RIU Negril from 6/1-6/8 with 2 of my co workers/friends. Had a great time and I think it's all of what you make of it. This resort is pretty average. There are only 2 selections of pools and the one with the bar I felt was kind of dirty. Cups floating around the bottom of pool, un pleasant odor near bar, and the water clarity was a bit on the cloudy side. Saw a lot of people at pool bar and very little of them ever left to use the bathroom...hmmm...
Food wasn't that great, the first 2 days we could handle the buffets, but then got tired of them. The lunch area is served in an open area and there would be flies around/on all the plates, salads, and other food selections. Jerk chicken hut was our usual go to for lunch.
I found almost ALL staff members to be very nice and helpful. Entertainment staff was fun and after the first day they meet you they remember your name. We really liked Shadrick, his dance moves are insane. We also got a lot of laughs from DJ, he is the guy that recruits you to do exersions from resort. We chose to take the catamaran that served rum beverages and red stripe. It stopped on 7 mile beach for a bit so we could shop, then took us to pirates cave for snorkeling, and then ended up at ricks cafe for an hour. We LOVED that day. We payed 50 each and it lasted approx 5 hours. I think some ppl only payed $40 so you can talk them down in price.
Bugs are bad, not gonna lie, wore OFF and didn't help at all. There are A LOT of stray cats on this resort, I thought that was odd.
WATCH YOUR PHONES, my was stolen my second to last day on trip, when i went to front desk to file report, 3 other people were also reporting stolen phones, was kind of bummed, because most of my trip photos were on there. Free WIFI in lobby and it worked perfectly!
I would for sure return to Jamaica, I thought it was a beautiful country, not sure I would return to RIU Negril, rather stay on actual 7 mile beach.
Regardless, we made a lot of new friends on this trip, shared a lot of belly laughs , and created a lot of great memories. Again, it's what you make of it.

Room Tip: Building one is so convenient to everything!!!
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I recently returned from a 5 day visit to this resort. The van ride from the airport was 1.5 hours so get ready for a long journey! The resort itself is not terribly large. I was part of a wedding party, and it was nice to be able to just walk around and find people in our party. That made it a lot easier during meal times and during the day at the pool.

It is all inclusive, but you do need cash for shopping and tips. A few nights a week, vendors come to the resort to sell things. Most of these are similar to what you could get off the resort and at decent prices. Don't be afraid to haggle with them either. Some of the wedding party got really good deals!

Being part of a wedding, it was a little inconvenient to not have an alarm clock. Next time I would bring one with me. They are on central time, which is also confusing because the only American television channels were on Eastern or Pacific time.

The first day our air conditioning was broken, but after two employees called the front desk for us and asked for maintenance it was fixed. No problems after that! You must keep the sliding door shut and locked for the A/C to turn on.

There were lots of activities to do! We opted to take a $50 boat ride to a few different places, including Rick's Cafe. Snorkeling in the ocean was a really great experience. I didn't see too much, but it was fun for a first-time snorkeler. The boat drivers were great and really made the trip a fun time. Make sure you arrive at the boathouse early to get your flippers!

The food was pretty good all together. The buffets were set up kind of like Chinese buffets in the States with lots of different meat and seafood dishes. Also, there were always two or three rice dishes. Fresh fruit and vegetables at every meal! It's all good so I would suggest trying some unfamiliar fruits and vegetables. The American options were pizza and pasta, which were mediocre. The pasta was decent, but the pizza was definitely lacking! It might be good for really picky kids, but I would eat the rice or bread over pizza. Some of the dishes seemed a little bland (probably because we're used to so many preservatives), but there were salt and pepper shakers at every table to spice things up a little. Breakfast was probably my favorite meal, but the lunch and dinner spreads weren't bad. The late night snacks were subpar, but fine if there wasn't another option. The jerk chicken stand on the beach around lunch time is a must!

Luckily all the drinks are good! The bartenders were fine with filling up our large insulated cups (which are sold at TJMaxx, Walmart, etc). I was glad I brought a large cup, but it was easy to overdo it with that much so be careful! I never saw anyone get cut off from bar service so you'll have to monitor your own drinking. Also, I made sure to drink water at meals and bring a water bottle with me (from the room). As a result, I was not dehydrated at all during the trip.

Note: Sometimes the food buffets would open a few minutes late so I would suggest grabbing extra snacks at breakfast or lunch so there is always something to eat. Especially for small children, you would need to bring plenty of snacks with you.

It was a really great trip, and I think I would go back as a couple but probably not just with friends again. It was fun, but a lot of activities were geared toward couples.

What I wish I had brought: More sunscreen, aloe, alarm clock, more cash for tips

2  Thank Kelley89
Reviewed 7 June 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Clubhotel RIU Negril May 18-25. I traveled with my children (9 &13), husband and parents. This was my second time to Negril, and my first trip there was amazing. I can't say the same about this one. Our nightmare began before we ever arrived. We booked through Apple vacations and I urge anyone who is thinking about using them, DO NOT! They are liars & will say & do anything they have to to get your money.

This resort was nothing what we expected. I have read reviews on Negril before, and always thought that anyone that could complain in a place so beautiful were just people you could never please. Because of sites like Tripadvisor & other travel websites, I thought that people should be well aware of what type of resort they are going to. I didn't realize that a company like Apple would flat out lie, & I should have researched a little better prior to booking this trip. My first trip to Negril was at a resort 5 minutes down the beach, and I assumed that the beach would be same. It wasn't. Clubhotel's beach is rocky, the water is not as clear and the water is colder. That was just the beginning of my disappointment! We had no airconditioning in our room, our fan was broken, our door was broke, and the room was filthy. We spent the first 2 days at the front desk because we had 1 problem after another. They sent someone up to our room to fix the FAN at 12:30 am, while my daughter & husband were sleeping in bed. After we moved rooms the next day, we found out that the whole resort was without air conditioning! The food was terrible. My children wouldn't eat anything but fruit! The restaurants and bars were dirty. We tried to switch hotels on the 2nd day. To RIU Tropical Bay, but because we booked with Apple we had to go through them, and they didn't want to help us. We were stuck in hell! We spoke to the manager & everyone that worked at the front desk and they were completely uninterested in our situation. It was not the vacation we hoped for. I trusted Apple, everything they told me about this resort was a lie.

The only positive thing I have to say about Clubhotel is their Entertainment staff. They were great! The only time we enjoyed ourselves was during the shows. We wound up salvaging the last few days of out trip by moving to RIU Tropical Bay and it was wonderful! Please if your looking for a place in Negril, spend the extra money and stay at Tropical Bay. It is well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We were at the Riu Negril hotel from May 30 - June 6 for our wedding with a group of 36 people and we had a great week. Some of the reviews and bad comments on this website are just plain ridiculous. I will go through certain issues that people tend to bring up and will give you my honest opinion.

Check-in was great and we did get upgraded to an oceanview room because of our wedding but everyone in our big group was very happy with their rooms once they got them. Only one room had an issue of the AC being too loud and they were switched to another room no problem. Rooms were clean and the bar was stocked almost daily. If we were missing something, we would just ask and they would bring it pretty quickly. The bathroom was nice and spacious. We were in building 2 and for people who complain that the walk is too far from the lobby, they are just very very lazy.

Food was simply amazing. We (and I also speak for our whole group) could not believe how many options were available each day at the buffets. My wife is an extremely picky eater and she always found plenty of good food to eat. The Jerk Chicken Hut is open everyday except Saturday from 12-3 and there was always plenty of food available. Most people in our group had it everyday and Earl who works there is great. His Jerk sauce is great. We also ate at the Steak house as well as Sir Andrews and it was pretty good but we wouldn't have had any problems eating at the buffet everyday.

Beach was great, we were always on the beach in the morning up until around 3-4 and then would go to the pool. Both pools were clean and not crowded and we had plenty of fun. We went to visit Rick's cafe while also snorkelling and stopping at the 7 Mile beach. It was well worth the 40 bucks we paid. Great day on the boat also.

Our wedding was amazing. Very short ceremony and it went really well. Our wedding supper was at the Steak House and everyone loved the food. Its a great place to do the wedding and we highly recommend it to people who consider doing a destination wedding.

Some people have complained about drinks not being strong enough. All you have to do is ask and they will make your drinks so strong you will have to ask them for less alcohol. Don't be SHY! And tipping is optional but it's up to you to decide who you want to tip.

Entertainment team is pretty friendly and some shows are better then others but we made our own fun at the disco and would not complain about their friendliness. All staff work really hard and resort is kept pretty clean.

If you need anything please go to Rochelle at the front desk and she will do her best to help you. She's just amazing.

7  Thank Raz03
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and I just got back from an 8 day stay at the RIU Negril and will definitely be back.

From the moment we stepped foot on this resort we were made to feel welcomed. Check in was a breeze, took maybe 10 minutes, our luggage was brought up to our room right away and were told where everything was in the room, by the way we had an ocean front view. Whoever complains about the rooms not being up to par, you are on holidays, are you spending your days in the room or are you outside enjoying everything???? TV was not the best but it did entertain us before going to bed. They do have to think of all their tourists so there was about 3 channels of spanish, a few from the states and for the last night we even had a parisian channel. Of course there is a smell of mold, you're in the tropics, towels do not dry as fast like they do here in North America, bugs and insects are everywhere, again it's a tropical country, if you don't like the bugs vacation somewhere else or stop complaining about them. If you want to walk along the beach in the evening, bring your bug spray as they have a lot of sand flies and you don't realise you got bit until you start scratching like crazy.

The beach is kept very clean, not too crowded and lots of loungers so you didn't have to be there at 7am to save them for the day, never did make it to the pool since you can do the pool anytime of day during summer time in your own city. Yes locals are there trying to sell their souvenirs but you only have to say no and they leave you alone.

Food was awesome, we did all 3 dinner à la carte and Sir Andrew was the best. The best buffet was breakfast, lunch was good too, if you can, try the Jerk Chicken Hut, best chicken around.

We booked 3 excersions, shopping trip, Bob Marley and Safari and YS Falls and all 3 were fabulous.

It's a pretty small resort so the walks around were not that long. My husband and I will be back next year for sure.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank hotmama41
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Everything was perfect! Could not have asked for nicer people and better service! Everything was great. AC was cool, food and drinks were great and the staff was unbelievable, WE WILL BE GOING BACK IN THE FALL:) MY WIFE AND I CAN NOT WAIT TO GO BACK TO JAMAICA! We will be looking to buy a condo on our next visit. Vendors on the beach were no Issue a polite no is all it takes. Don't believe some of the post about the hassling rasta with a splif. Just be nice and say no. Only one thing.... Don't start tipping or they will always have their hands out. I would tip but discreetly and only a buck at a time. What a great trip! Oh if it rains be carefull the place gets slippery my wife slipped and fell but no big deal. The bad was the king bed is made of 2 separate beds so you have a seem in the middle do the bed from two matteress. For the value i was more than happy! We will go back again. The night entertainment was kinda hokey and after 7 days it gets a bit old. The drinks were good the Piña Coladas were amazing and the Appelton rum was a treat to me and I'm not a big drinker( once every 2 months I may drink a few beers) I drank rum everyday in JA:)

Room Tip: Make early dinner reservations and ask for a room upgrade to an ocean view and depending on when you...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Erik I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#6 of 80 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!