“Stayed in September”

Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Kitchener, Canada
“Stayed in September”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I travel to Jamaica at least once a year, my hubby is from Kingston. I liked the Riu, food was good, service was good and the rooms where clean. The rooms are stalked with drinks and water, we tipped the guy who stocked a fridge a little extra to make sure we had enough water.....we are not pop or juice drinkers and especially in that heat. Disco was bland but we usually leave the resort anyways. The beaches were nice, overall its a nice choice. I would probably not return to this exact resort just because I like to try new resorts. Oh and DJ always brings a smile to your day :)

Room Tip: Bring air fresher for room and travel mug.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Candice J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,352)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2013

WEDDING: First of all I want to start by saying that the Caprice package I paid for, for my wedding was beyond my expectations. Dionne Arthurs does a fantastic job making sure everything goes as planned. The steak house did a lovely job with the dinner & all in all it really was everything I had dreamed of at a very affordable price. The photography is very expensive but if you are trying to save money you can always do a private 1 hour photo shoot in-between the 4pm ceremony & 6:30 pm dinner. Just book with the hotel photographer when you arrive as it is about 10$ a print rather than 2000$ for the whole wedding to be covered. Finally the fire dancer we paid to dance on the beach, after the dinner was the highlight of the night. It was fun as well as different, just perfect for mine & my husband's personalities. I highly recommend him!!!

PRICE: The price that we paid was affordable but more than what we would typically pay to go to Jamaica as we did have to book very far in advance in order to start the wedding planning process.

ROOM: We loved our 1st floor Oceanfront room despite the fact that it was a very far walk to the main buffet (In building 4) but if you are prepared for this or looking for a way to convince yourself a few extra desserts won't hurt, than it may be beneficial for you.

SPA: The spa was fantastic me & my husband got a body scrub + full body massage. It was so relaxing inside & smelled wonderful. (This was included in our wedding package & so worth it.) My husband also got a mani/ pedi to prepare for the big day & he was so skeptical but ended up loving it. The staff were very professional, I would stay in another Riu just to use the RenovaSpa services again. Really one of the highlights of the trip!

STAFF & FOOD: As for the Hotel & staff I really don't have any complaints. It was beautiful, the staff were very friendly, and the food had a lot of variety as well as options. You must book a la cart restaurants 48 hours in advance so just make sure you book the 3 restaurants in the morning to get your desired time slots. All of the a la carts we delicious with impeccable service. I really love the people & food in Jamaica so I knew that would be one of the best things about the trip. Although I think it is important to eat outside of the hotel locally at Sweet Spice, 3 Dives or Cosmo's.. I loved the food at both of these local spots especially the curried goat. It was way better than what we had in the hotel.

NEGATIVES: I want to start by saying I am not a big complainer I travel a lot & this is the only time I have ever put any negatives for a resort, but it is the truth for my experiences. The things I wasn't impressed with was the beach.. it was actually pretty muddy as you get out deeper but if you walk down towards "Sunset at the Palms" the beach is nice sand & perfect for swimming. THIS IS NOT 7 MILE BEACH, it is bloody bay which is still a nice calm bay but not as nice as 7 mile beach. Also there are lots of sand fleas as in many tropical destinations so beware and put on bug spray if you plan to sit on the beach for long periods. I will say there is a lot of fish around which is nice, but I personally could not stand the mud. I recommend bringing water shoes. Also as an Early Childhood Educator I DO NOT think it is appropriate for children & babies to be in the swim up bar as their parents drink. This not safe or respectable for other travelers... there are other pools that the families could use with their children.

This was our second trip to Negril and overall the Riu was ok & did do a fantastic job with my wedding but personally we like smaller resorts. You get to see more of the REAL JAMICA that way! Riu was just too big for our preference and compared to the one in Costa Rica not really a 5 star.
Ultimately WE LOVE JAMAICA & I would recommend this resort to people who like large resorts or are travelling in large groups, (mine was 27 people) as the resort is spacious so everyone in the group had some privacy/ relaxation time. I will not be back again though because I really enjoyed "Sunset at the Palms" much more or something directly on 7 mile beach.

** For private excursions or general cab rides you must use JOHN WAYNE TOURS. Randy is an amazing man & he can be reached @ (876)-390-8156 or jwayne74@ymail.com ... Tell him Ayla & Reza from Canada say "hi".
* Ask him to take you to blue hole mineral spring & stop for some lunch on the way or local shopping in Negril. It is about 25 minutes away, a small, simple, beautiful place... you can find more about it here on trip advisor.
Happy Vacationing!!!
xo

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room the ones in the 4th block are quiet but very far from the main area's...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ayla-Reza
Scotland
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed for a week from 28th Nov to 5th Dec and cannot fault the hotel in any way. The staff could't do enough for you. Food was excellent and like another reviewer said, the food was so good and varied in the buffet didn't bother with the seperate restaurants. Room cleaned daily and drinks from fridge (both alcohol and non alcohol) filled up as we used them.

The beach and sea wasn't as clear as normal as they had high winds the day before we arrived which resulted in seaweed being washed ashore., the sea was still lovely and warm and a bit of seaweed does no-one any harm! I find it funny that someone should fault the stay on account of this, it is a natural occurence.

I would def go back to this hotel and the second time in a RIU hotel (first one was in Cape Verde)I wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel again or another RIU.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CM06115
Welland, Canada
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed here with my husband November 2013. Cannot say enough good things about this resort. The place was spotless, the service was exceptional, the people were friendly, the entertainment was great, always something going on. Food was good and plentiful, good variety. My husband was sick for twenty four hours due to something he ate, obviously it didn't agree with him. Just being honest. The nursing staff were excellent and genuinely concerned as to how he was feeling. They gave instruction as to what to take, medicinally and what foods to eat to recover.
Did find souvenirs a tad bit pricey. Vendors on the beach were friendly and did not hassle you in the least. If you gave them your attention they would approach you, but otherwise they left you alone.
Numerous excursions to be purchased if desired. Really enjoyed the dolphin swim and Rick's Cafe. I did jump from the platform and didn't enter the water correctly, was sore for weeks later but that was my own fault.
Would definitely return to this resort! In fact, I look forward to it.
I have been to numerous resorts in numerous countries and this is the second resort that I would ever return to. The other being the Barcelona Maya in Mexico.

Room Tip: We were unhappy with our room the first night as it was at the very end of the resort! When we expr...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kelly880
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Don't get me wrong. Hotel was fine, food great, service and staff super. However for a Riu it was a disappointment for the following reasons. No coffee in the rooms and since we were in 4 block it was a half km walk to the buffet to get some. A storm washed seaweed up on shore Wednesday morning. The stinky mess was still there when we left the following Tuesday. No washrooms on the beach. Again a long treck to either our room or the lobby. I won't go again just because of theses small inconveniences. I understand the Riu Palace next door has coffee in the room, bathrooms on the beach, and they cleaned up the seaweed, so I suggest maybe book there.

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed four days over Thanksgiving as part of a longer trip. We decided on booking here because my wife's sister and her husband were accompanying us on their first trip anywhere, and we thought it would break them in slowly to the country we love so much. We never did the all-inclusive thing before but learned quickly to appreciate not having to worry about much of anything.
Staff was wonderful across the board. Managers, barkeeps, waiters, housekeepers, even the gardeners were without exception friendly and willing and anxious to help make our stay pleasant. And they did. Highest rating.
There's always something going on if you like activities. If you just wanna lie around the beach and pool, you can do that as well. Paddle boats and kayaks are available and complimentary. Entertainment staff was... Well.. Entertaining. Lots of fun.
Food is, as one might expect, top notch. We didn't utilize the reservation only specialty restaurants at all because of time constraints and also the fact that the buffet was over the top. Huge variety of international cuisine. The jerked chicken and sausage at the little shack in the beach is among the best I've ever had. I think there's 7 different bars if I remember right. Even the rooms have a fridge stocked with Red Stripes and sodas, along with a liquor dispenser stocked with rum, vodka, gin, and Jamaican brandy. They all get restocked every two days. My favorite thing was the pool bar. Swim up, drink up.
The only undesirable thing I found had to do with some of the guests. Some people just seem to think they are the only people that matter. Loud at night. Obnoxious. Rude. I guess it comes with the territory. It's not the hotel's fault.
The only other possible drawback is that the resort is pretty much isolated from "real" Jamaica. Very few guests seem to venture very far off the resort, and really have no need to. The hotel discourages any interaction with "unlicensed vendors", but I find that is part and parcel of the fabric of Negril and Jamaica. There are a few around, but the hotel seems to take the safe road by discouraging business with them.
If you simply want a getaway with no worries, and great hospitable service, this is it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Semkins
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Disregard any negative reviews. This resort was fantastic in every way. Yes, the rooms are a bit far from the dining areas but the walk is beautiful and nothing difficult. Never felt a sand flea on the beach nor saw a crab in our room on the first floor. The resort was very clean. The ac was noisy but that was fixed promptly. The pool was cloudy from sun screen but there was another one that was pristine and just as nice. The food was outstanding. The variety was incredible, and the local dishes were extensive and delicious. Particularly outstanding was the selection of Jamaican fruits and vegetables, many of which I have never seen served at other resorts. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort and I will return again.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 1 or 2 are closer to the activity. Recommend a first floor unit as there are no e...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple