“Amazing ”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We went October last year and loved it all the staff are really friendly the place is nice and clean, we had and amazing time. Tho sometimes the smell of weed on the beach is over powering. The optics in the room are grate and you'll never go hungry.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fizzzz

Reviewed 23 January 2014

First, please ignore the bad reviews; they scared the heck out of me and for no good reason!

We were a party 4 and emailed the resort before we got there and while I did not get a response we got what we asked for, 2 rooms side by side with king beds and in the 2nd building on the 2nd floor, you could have knocked me over with a feather!!! We arrived late at around 11:30 PM after a little over an hour bus ride from the Airport in Montego Bay. No Problem! Reception was a breeze everyone was happy go lucky and made us feel welcome even though I am sure they had been at work since 6 AM! Our rooms were very big a bit smelly but clean and comfy, I brought vanilla scented candles so the that took care of the musty smell....I did check for bed bugs, as I am a freak about that kind of thing, in fact even inspected every nook and cranny of the room and all was great! Do the rooms need to be updated you bet, however they are closing down for reno's shortly and that will make a huge difference, you would look a little worn down if you had not been refreshed since 1970! The rest of the resort including pools and beach were excellently maintained….yes the beach does have live prickly things, so wear water shoes or watch where your walking and yes the chlorine in the pool is strong however kudos to the RIU for understanding that some of their clients have no decency and pee all day in the pool, I was glad to smell the chlorine after witnessing so many people never leaving the pool bar after drinking for hours. The food – I really enjoyed everything and I am the fussiest eater, I do not eat fish although others in my group did and they loved it. Breaky was great, lunch both at the Jerk Chicken Stand on the beach and the buffet were awesome…dinner at the buffet was really good always something to eat for everyone and they work so hard to feed so many people and you should tip your server, as a previous server I would expect more than a dollar…when was the last time you had a full course dinner with drinks and left a dollar at home?? The a la cartes, we had both the Sir Andrew & The Steak House both were good, not one complaint from any of us, except for the white wine, honest it was the only horrible thing about the resort, it tasted like turpentine, the red which I do not drink was better according to my fellow travellers. The shows were fun, we only saw a couple because well we were too busy having fun elsewhere, the ones we did catch were really well done and the entertainers work so hard, actually every single person at the resort worked very hard and not sure how much they make but as I said I know when I was in school and supporting myself and my children on my serving job it mattered that I got tips and let me tell you the employees of the RIU Club deserve tips! I am not sure where the people who wrote the bad reviews were staying because I never saw a mosquito, sand flea or a bed bug and I looked, the resort fogged nightly for bugs and it was stinky but that never bothered us because we are late eaters….one thing that did bother me and I will know for my next trip ADULTS ONLY, way too many kids for this girl!!!! What else should you know?? Hmmm…there is a free shuttle to Margarittaville, just ask the front desk what day’s they are and you must pop into Rick’s Café….brilliant places!!! Drinks are about 9$ US but they are good. We ate these wonderful Jerk Burgers at Rick’s, the chicken one not so good but the burger was amazing! I would stick to land to get there and it is free and then if you find the right driver he will happily take your group to Rick’s then back to your hotel…we paid $14.00 per couple… and we even got to stop and get T-shirts 4 for 20$, all in all I would go back to this resort as the price is right even with all the kids, however will likely go to a different resort as I will for sure be going back to Negril, I loved it!!! I have been to many places in the Caribbean but so far in all honestly this has been my absolute favorite place and the Jamaicans love chicken as much as I do so it is a match made in paradise!!!! The resort will be stunning once it is restored and I would like to see that, perhaps I will. As for the thefts I read about why leave your expensive items out even while in your room, we always keep our safe locked with our valuables inside, common sense should always rule, because the same thing would happen anywhere even in Canada, US or abroad. There are bad apples everywhere and it should not make you dislike the place or the other people that work at the resort. I am already planning my return as soon as humanly possible! One love!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Trishaped
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We had just visited the Riu Negril on Jan 9-16th. It was by far the worst experience of a vacation EVER!
First night a staff member broke into our room and robbed us of all my money $300 American and $20 Canadian as well as our beautiful camera! After an hour security finally comes to our room and that was a horror story in itself! She was terribly rude accusing us of purchasing cocaine and weed! How dare anyone make such accusations. We had just arrived and went for dinner. One of the workers had just stocked our fridge and i tipped buddy $5american
Guess he got greedy! So the GM Alberto was no help it was as if he didn't care as we payed $1500 to be robbed the first night. No remorse no solutions. Terrible customer service skills. Cops finally came the next day and were just as repulsed as us when finding out the Riu has no policy they just don't care! We have been to Jamaica more than a handful of times. Many experiences to compare with never in my life has vacation been so stressful! The staff treated us like crap afterwards for the remainder of the week
The beaches are unkept very rocky the water isnt tropical looking its cloudy and grey with a bunch of seaweed .. i was stung twice by a jelly fish. No amenities such as public washrooms or rinse off stations. ONE beach bar only! Or the lobby bar! No coffee machines in the room! About a 20min walk for your breakfast. No alarmclocks in the room so we called for a wake up call one morn and they woke us up 1.5hrs early!!! Not impressed! I have a dairy allergy and it was near impossible to eat anything. Mainly every dish was made with butter. Then when we specified they still brought me sour cream and butter didn't make me comfortable. No brand name liquor and the wine is beyond beliefs disgusting! Not one sip could you let down your throat! :(
Everything about that place was terrible. We came back stressed. Worst vacation in the world
Worst resort in the world!
Waste of money and time
thank God we had beautiful weather that's the one positive i can say which has nothing to do with the riu
So think twice about the Riu Negril its not Jamaica! Its just plain SAD and they should be utterly ashamed to call themselves a 5star. SAD

• Stayed: January 2014
12  Thank sunsauga
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I traveled with friends in our 20s-30s for a wedding in February 2013. I'm a pretty easygoing traveler, and have been to several all-inclusives for both weddings and just for fun.

The Riu Resort itself is fine, it has clean grounds and the food is varied and palatable. It's not restaurant quality by Canadian standards, but compared to other 4 star resort in the Caribbean it's right on par. My only complaint about the resort is that my boyfriend and I booked a king bed (over six months prior to arrival) but the resort didn't accommodate this and we got two doubles for the whole week. Not very romantic.

Anyway, the deal breaker for this resort was the beach. It's apparently man-made, and I didn't know what difference this would make, if any, going into it, but now I know better. It's basically a layer of sand over either concrete or rock. I can't overstate how much this sucks.

The ambiance at the beach is also lacking. There's an entertainment guy who gets his paycheck by yelling into a crackling megaphone all day, and at 6pm a guy dressed like a ghostbuster sprays the length of the beach with a giant cloud of pesticides as beach-goers run for their lives.

One day we left the Riu and Bloody Bay to visit Margaritaville, thinking we'd have a couple of drinks and head back, and instead stayed until closing because we'd found a real beach and never wanted to leave. You could tell right away who was from Bloody Bay by the ear-to-ear smile as soon as they saw the natural beach. Watching the sunset with our toes in the sand, surrounded by palm trees, tiki torches and island music... we were finally in Jamaica.

I can tolerate almost anything when it comes to the resort, but at least deliver the beach.

Room Tip: Don't stay on Bloody Bay. Bring an air mattress for the water, it's very calm.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MissJayOttawa
Reviewed 18 January 2014

we stayed at the riu in september this year and found the hotel to be clean and the food great.
plenty to do and plenty of food to eat. paul the singing barman was great and the cocktails were fab. just needs a bit more sand on the beach.
had a room upgrade so the view in the morning was amazing.. cant wait to return again when the changes have happened.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel.Powell
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just got back from our second vacation in Negril, stayed at the Riu Palace last year. I did enjoy the Palace more, but you get what you pay for, and Riu Negril was about $800 cheaper per couple. This resort is HUGE. Try and reserve building one if you have any sort of issue with a long walk. I don't understand complaints about the food. I consider myself a picky eater and I never had a problem finding something tasty at the buffet (we don't follow schedules well on vacation, so no reserved dinners for us). My husband loved the food and is still talking about it, especially the pasta bar and seafood night. The Palace has the edge on the beach, and is smaller so a shorter hike to the bar. Is that worth $400/person? I think so, but others won't. All in all, we had a great time with no problems or complaints (except maybe the birds on the buffet patio). Riu Negril is good value for your money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jennifer F
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I'm so disappointed,mad,offended and near medical mishap..#1-no 24 hour food services as stated in the brochure. can never get coffee,fruit,cereal before 7:00am,If you ask a staff they pretend they don't hear you,walk away or "play perfectly stupid".You can get dried up cheese and meat and runny jello.The staff at the Welcome Bar where so rude and would go hide in the kitchen or avoid servicing you..we didnt get the room that was requested upon arrival,complained and got no where..never had clean towels or room cleaned,talked to Tracey-Ann she assured us it would be taken care of(3:00pm),called down at 6:00pm wanted to clean up before dinner NO towels,wasnt until 9:30pm we received towels..No restocking of fridge until third day..NO 24-hour drinks,wait until 10:00am and closed up early evening..Couldn't walk alone before 8:00 or after !0:00pm the gardeners following you around wanting money or food or buy pot/cocaine..The morning we left we all wanted coffee and some sort of food(I'm Diabetic-small children crying) nothing available anywhere,and asked the staff at "The Snack Restaurant-24 hours of food"????? Overall can't believe this was the worst choice of holiday-that my hard earned money was spent on..PS Maya on front desk was nice and Ivette at the pool bar. Oh ya watch out for the little/short lifeguard (Alias 007) followed me to my building and waited until i came out,hiding behind a tree,following for two days,told front desk but clearly didnt care about my safety..The people that were selling stuff and other "stuff" didnt offended me at all,just said no thanks and they moved on..

Room Tip: second building not to close to any noise but close for walking to restaurants and front lobby
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Catherine G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!