Negril Escape Resort & Spa(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$269
US$207
Home Sweet Home Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$167
  • Beachfront
Westender Inn(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$159
T-bird on the Cliffs(Negril)(Great Value!)
Book now, pay at stay
The Cliff Hotel(Negril)
US$1,398
Priceline
5,962 results
All reviewsfish sanctuarysinging barmanjerk chickenentertainment staffricks cafejerk hutswim up barbloody bayevery other dayclub hotela la carte restaurantssand fliesgourmet restaurantmake reservationswater shoesys fallssea urchins
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had booked the Riu Club Negril as we were told it was more geared towards 'family' with excellent kids clubs. This was not the case. We were married at Tropical Bay 10 years ago and should have returned there. The staff at Club were not near as friendly or engaging. The food was not as good as there was a severe lack of variety. Overall, this was not up to our usual experience at a Riu resort. They are closing down for a few months later this year for an overhaul - hopefully it will do them some good. We would recommend the Tropical Bay over Club however - the few extra $$$ are worth it.

Room Tip: Choose building 1 or 2 if you can - less of a walk to everything central.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I've stayed at Riu before in the DR, so I knew it's a reliable chain. And it was!
PROs:
-beautiful beach. So long and white sand. Amazing snorkelling right on the shore, I saw so many fish! The resort is not quite on the 7-mile beach area (take a boat tour!!). It's in a bay and there are less waves, so on calm days the snorkelling is perfect
-the buffet is excellent. So much variety! I really enjoyed the selection and quality,however I noticed they did tend to overcook the seafood (shrimp, lobster). I'm thinking it could be so nobody gets sick and sues them (?)
-service was fun and friendly.
-never had any issue finding a chair at the beach or the pool
-quite close to Rick's Cafe, an attraction I highly suggest! A fun restaurant on a cliff side, you can watch, or partake, in some high diving. There are local divers, and they will panhandle for tips for the "show". If you arrive by boat, there are locals who also try and scrounge some cash. It's not overwhelming, just to be aware. We took a cab there and got to see the nice coastline.
-rooms are clean, water pressure good, safe in-room
-don't be too wary of guys on the beach selling excursions. We snorkelled with Captain Charlie tours and had a great time.
We also met a guy (jeff) on the beach who hooked up up with Ivo the taxi driver, this dude is nice and will take you everywhere. Forget going with a group to excursions, having to wait at each hotel pickup, go with Ivo and he'll wait for you! We got his card and his # is (1 876) 863-9047. We haggled better prices with them too.
-the entertainment! I was surprised at the great quality of the shows, every night was impressive. I honestly find most resort entertainment boring and cheesy, but the music and dancing here was awesome. The resort entertainment crew can really dance, the guys doing some crazy breakdancing.

CONs:
-you'll notice more people selling services/tours/souvenirs on the beach perhaps than other places (mexico, etc). There were quite a few, but hotel security prevents them from coming too far up. If you find this bothersome, just grab a chair farther from the shore.
I was a little hesitant to go to Jamiaca as I heard locals can be aggressive to sell you things. In the end I didn't feel scared, and a simple "no thanks" was all that was needed. I imagine if you wander down the beach into where the locals gather and have huts to sell things, you might get more pressured there
-the resort area is loooong...if you get a room in the last building, it's a good walk to the lobby and food areas.
-Rooms could be more modern, but they were clean. Our garden view was pretty laughable, more like jungle/road.
-IF you pay for a oceanfront room be aware the rooms do NOT lead out onto the sand; you cross the pathway first, you may as well pay less and get an ocean view
- The restaurants are hard to book, you have to wake up at 8am the day before and hope for the best. The restos were okay, but honestly I thought the buffet was better. We didn't try the Italian one but heard it wasn't too special
-The resort did not have a lot of action at night, post-entertainment shows that ended at 10-ish. Not a party resort, and there is nothing close by to go to.

Summing it up: Negril was amazing. I liked the resort and loved the beach. I would say it's not quite a 5 star. I've stayed at some real 5 stars and you notice little things that put them apart, like better rooms and better restaurants. But I still had a great experience and am happy with our choice to stay there. We didn't want to spend a ton of money and Negril is pricey, so this resort was just perfect.

Room Tip: if you're booked in the last building, prepare to walk! Don't bother with oceanfront, but perhaps do select oceanview
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flandaz
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Hotel was awesome. Front desk girls were amazing! Love them and our Apple Rep was the best ever in over 40 Apple trips Hotel and people working there are the BEST!!! LOVE Burell, Anne Marie, Carey...lifeguard, Yvonne, our maid, Paul...lobby bar what a voice!!! We were bugged about Gongi first day after that no one asked us. We stayed close to the beach. Guess thy got our message. :) Jerk Chicken wad the BEST!!! Miss it. Ricky thank you for buying our Champagne for us for mimosas...no Champagne here. Really. (we gave him $20 to buy for our mimosos) If you all want a nice beach you can walk in and not worry about, do not go hear. We are all about a beach. Love that they are about nature with the sea grass growing in the water. Saw Sting Rays 3 feet/3feet...... I was scared about stepping on sting rays, craps or starfish. Super duper hotel, food great, people great but as I said if you want a beach you feel safe getting into go to Riu Tropical Bay or Couples Sweptaway. I wish I would have known about the beach before I booked our trip. If you do not want to get in the Caribbean, great place. If you like getting in the bay/Caribbean and are not afraid of sea creatures go for it. We loved the hotel and people. Had a wonderful time and loved the resort and people. Gorgeous place.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We travelled to Rui Negril on 23rd July 2013, for 14 nights. We loved it. The food in the buffet restaurant was constantly replenished, and the variety was unbelievable. Everywhere was clean. The staff were wonderful, nothing too much trouble. We went to the Shadows and Sir Andrew's restaurants which were superb. Our rooms were clean and well looked after. "We" were parents and 2 adult daughters who all enjoyed the sea and beach. Both daughters did waterspouts and one went diving- the instructor was brilliant, she had dived before and was very happy with safety etc. We went out to the inevitable Rick's Cafe, nice boat trip and worth going once to see the divers. Do beware if you are not an experienced swimmer- we were allowed to swim into caves, we knew the risks as we live by the sea, but had to help some poor swimmers who struggled. The crocodiles and falls was a great trip, snorkelling around the coral was incredible- we had a boat to ourselves, and had 2 staff. We went to swim with dolphins and were impressed with how they were kept. Entertainment was varied and good. Most evenings we collapsed into bed about 9.30pm! The only thing I would have liked was some air conditioning in the gym.

Reading other reviews I cannot believe that they were in the same resort as us. We didn't use the pools much, and the swim up bar did smell of spilled drinks, but that is inevitable in a hot climate. We would like to go again, we fell in love with Jamaica. We were not bothered by people on the beach, we chatted to them and smiled when we said no! There is shade, and plenty of sun beds to use. We had a couple of problems with our room, but these were solved very quickly.

Room Tip: The quieter blocks are B and C, but nowhere was noisy in July/ August.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Overall, I enjoyed my vacation here. The room was quite nice. We stayed in building 4 . It was very clean, well appointed, nice furniture, comfortable bed, and well stocked bar and fridge. We ate at the buffet everyday . The food selection was good and very tasty. Staff, for the most part were excellent. My only complaint with them was in the buffet at breakfast. I was approached by the maître d', in line, selecting food and was informed that, because I was wearing a bathing suit, I would have to leave. I pointed out to him that most men there were also wearing bathing suits, sleeveless shirts,and baseball caps, which I was not to no avail. I was not wearing a bikini type suit but a "boy shorts" length. Kind of hypocritical I thought in light of the fact that women seemed to have no restrictions.
My biggest disappointment was the beach. Although extremely picturesque, the sand was hard packed and rough on the feet. To explain, there was no way a hole could be dug in that sand. Also, wading out for a swim involved going through weeds and a very soft, squishy bottom. Because I love the beach, this was a letdown and the main reason I would not return. Bottom line.......if you are not a beach person, I would recommend this resort. If you are, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: For quiet, buildings 2-4.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple