6,047 results
All reviewsfish sanctuarysinging barmanjerk chickenentertainment staffricks cafejerk hutswim up barbloody bayevery other dayclub hotela la carte restaurantssand fliesgourmet restaurantmake reservationssea urchinsys fallswater shoes
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was our 3rd visit to a Riu and it was not as nice as the others. It is an older motel and really needs to be updated. (I have been told a remodel will be done in August of this year) The beach was very nice and calm as we were in a cove. On occasion a few waves would roll in but nothing very big, great for kids and people who like the water but not the surf. Our room was very spacious and clean but every day we had to ask for towels as something was always missing, sometimes we got them and sometimes we didn't. The food was very good and the drinks were as well. The best feature of this motel was the staff, they were the friendliest group I have ever seen. They were always smiling and talking to guests every where on the resort, it didn't matter if you were young or old they really made you feel welcome.
I really don't like saying negative things, but this is not a place I would return to. I'm not sure if it was the time of year but you could count on it raining every day around 3 or 4 P:M. lasting at least 2-3 hours not just a light rain, it poured. It was a big resort, but it didn't really have much to do. It had 2 very small gift shops and an even smaller casino. There also seemed to be a lot of locals selling things on the beach, every day all day, at the resort, All in all we had a fun time, as far as we were concerned everything was just OK, not your usual Riu standards. All of us liked the Montego Bay side of the island better. This was my 3rd visit and it won't be the last, luv Jamaica !!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have been travelling to Jamaica for 18 yrs and this is the worst hotel, the only saving grace is its staff, they were the friendliest and most helpful of all the other hotels I had stayed in. I know its closing down for a new pool but it needs a lot more than that. We always would use the swim up pool bar but this was so dirty we couldn't use it, it made our skin itch, im sure its because the people who sit at the bar never move but it nether seems to effect other pools we have used in other hotels. The rooms are very run down, our TV didn't work for the whole 3 weeks we were there, they kept coming up to fix it and when you have children a TV is still needed. The reception staff especially Tat-Yana and Redesha were fantastic they made our stay, every time they saw us the spoke and made conversation make sure you keep them, the waiting staff were brilliant especially Gay. The entertainment staff were good especially Superwomen, panther,Colourzs, Spotlight, the entertainment manager and asst manager were n9ot so good, they need to interact with their guest just a smile and hello would be a start. The food was ok not as good as the riu in Ocho Rios though, on a whole other than the staff I will not return here I would go back to the other riu though.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the rooms in building 1 or 2 as its a very long walk.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank marleySuffolkEngland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Overall a very good place to stay. By the end of the week I was tired of the food they offered. 3 restaurants that you need to get reservations for when you first arrive. The Italian restaurant was the worst. Poor service and poor food, not a wide variety. Sir Andrews had good food and wonderful service. Shadows was the best, it was open air restaurant with excellent steaks. Ribs were on the menu but when I ordered those they said they didn't have them this evening. Should have told us that right off the bat. Ordered ribeye and it was very good. Only two choices of wine the entire week, dry red dry white. The rest of the time it was 2 buffets, mainly the same everyday but different fish each day. One kind of potato offered the entire week only on 1 day.
The beach was clean, but lots of seaweed, I wore water shoes I don't like the feel of seaweed between my toes. You could sea different fish from the beach, saw a stingray and a manaray from the beach.
Lots of activities and nightly entertainment.
Had a disco that opened at 11:30 but it smelled musty and was gross.
Beer they offer was Red Stripe and Red Stripe Lite. Did have fridge in room that was stocked with water, pop,beer every 2 days. Also Appleton rum and 3 other liquers in room.
Website says it is due for remodel in August, it could use this.

Room Tip: Oceanfront had a better view,
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank rondasue1
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had booked the Riu Club Negril as we were told it was more geared towards 'family' with excellent kids clubs. This was not the case. We were married at Tropical Bay 10 years ago and should have returned there. The staff at Club were not near as friendly or engaging. The food was not as good as there was a severe lack of variety. Overall, this was not up to our usual experience at a Riu resort. They are closing down for a few months later this year for an overhaul - hopefully it will do them some good. We would recommend the Tropical Bay over Club however - the few extra $$$ are worth it.

Room Tip: Choose building 1 or 2 if you can - less of a walk to everything central.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I've stayed at Riu before in the DR, so I knew it's a reliable chain. And it was!
PROs:
-beautiful beach. So long and white sand. Amazing snorkelling right on the shore, I saw so many fish! The resort is not quite on the 7-mile beach area (take a boat tour!!). It's in a bay and there are less waves, so on calm days the snorkelling is perfect
-the buffet is excellent. So much variety! I really enjoyed the selection and quality,however I noticed they did tend to overcook the seafood (shrimp, lobster). I'm thinking it could be so nobody gets sick and sues them (?)
-service was fun and friendly.
-never had any issue finding a chair at the beach or the pool
-quite close to Rick's Cafe, an attraction I highly suggest! A fun restaurant on a cliff side, you can watch, or partake, in some high diving. There are local divers, and they will panhandle for tips for the "show". If you arrive by boat, there are locals who also try and scrounge some cash. It's not overwhelming, just to be aware. We took a cab there and got to see the nice coastline.
-rooms are clean, water pressure good, safe in-room
-don't be too wary of guys on the beach selling excursions. We snorkelled with Captain Charlie tours and had a great time.
We also met a guy (jeff) on the beach who hooked up up with Ivo the taxi driver, this dude is nice and will take you everywhere. Forget going with a group to excursions, having to wait at each hotel pickup, go with Ivo and he'll wait for you! We got his card and his # is (1 876) 863-9047. We haggled better prices with them too.
-the entertainment! I was surprised at the great quality of the shows, every night was impressive. I honestly find most resort entertainment boring and cheesy, but the music and dancing here was awesome. The resort entertainment crew can really dance, the guys doing some crazy breakdancing.

CONs:
-you'll notice more people selling services/tours/souvenirs on the beach perhaps than other places (mexico, etc). There were quite a few, but hotel security prevents them from coming too far up. If you find this bothersome, just grab a chair farther from the shore.
I was a little hesitant to go to Jamiaca as I heard locals can be aggressive to sell you things. In the end I didn't feel scared, and a simple "no thanks" was all that was needed. I imagine if you wander down the beach into where the locals gather and have huts to sell things, you might get more pressured there
-the resort area is loooong...if you get a room in the last building, it's a good walk to the lobby and food areas.
-Rooms could be more modern, but they were clean. Our garden view was pretty laughable, more like jungle/road.
-IF you pay for a oceanfront room be aware the rooms do NOT lead out onto the sand; you cross the pathway first, you may as well pay less and get an ocean view
- The restaurants are hard to book, you have to wake up at 8am the day before and hope for the best. The restos were okay, but honestly I thought the buffet was better. We didn't try the Italian one but heard it wasn't too special
-The resort did not have a lot of action at night, post-entertainment shows that ended at 10-ish. Not a party resort, and there is nothing close by to go to.

Summing it up: Negril was amazing. I liked the resort and loved the beach. I would say it's not quite a 5 star. I've stayed at some real 5 stars and you notice little things that put them apart, like better rooms and better restaurants. But I still had a great experience and am happy with our choice to stay there. We didn't want to spend a ton of money and Negril is pricey, so this resort was just perfect.

Room Tip: if you're booked in the last building, prepare to walk! Don't bother with oceanfront, but perhaps do select oceanview
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple