6,051 results
All reviewsfish sanctuarysinging barmanjerk chickenentertainment staffricks cafejerk hutswim up barbloody bayevery other dayclub hotela la carte restaurantssand fliesgourmet restaurantmake reservationssea urchinsys fallswater shoes
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here from 14th April -28th April 2014. I can truly say that this was one of the best holidays I have ever been on. This was my first trip to Jamaica and I wasn't disappointed. I travelled with a group of 10 people for a wedding.

The hotel is lovely, clean and spacious. The rooms are also very clean but do require an update which is scheduled for later on this year.
The food is on a weekly rotation, so it does get repetitive if you are there for more than a week. However there is a good selection of food. I also do recommend the jerk hut on the beach

The entertainment:
Where do I start? The animation team are FANTASTIC and are a great asset to the Riu. The team played a significant role in making this a great holiday. They put on various activities on during the day, and they don't pressure you to get involved if you want to just chill and relax. I have to send a big thank you to Superwoman, Fyah, Starboy, Colourz, Angel Eyes and the entertainment manager Kerry-Ann. The talent in this team is amazing. The dance shows they put on are world class, and are as good as some dance performances I have seen in theatre. A few of the dancers that I had the privilege of getting to know during my stay are Popsicle, Lesley and Mickey- genuinely nice people.

A few other members of staff to mention are, Mishka the lovely waitress at the Green Island restaurant who was attentive, pleasant and always ensured the tables were put together to accommodate 10 people. Also Celia and Howard at the Green Island restaurant. Yamilka one of the managers, the towel guys by the pool. Lastly I have to big up my Barmen Romio & Maro (they make the best drinks! I wish I could bottle the cocktails!)

I enjoyed every minute of my holiday, and I can't wait to come back. Also it would be nice to get a response back from the hotel management as I would like them to pass on my thanks to the staff mentioned in my review. From reading previous reviews, it doesn't seem like Riu takes the time to acknowledge guests reviews. As a regular trip advisor contributor I am used to hotel managers taking the time out to reply. This shows that not only does the hotel care about their staff, but also the reputation of the hotel and the views of their guests.

Room Tip: Get a room in the 1000 block as its close to the reception, restaurants and pools
3  Thank Shonelle
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just got back to the UK today (29th) and I have to write my review on this hotel. 10 of us travelled out on the 14th for a wedding which was taking place on the 17th (held elsewhere in Jamaica). It wasn't my first time to Jamaica but it was my first at the Riu. I had originally looked to go to the Riu Palace but I am so glad I didn't otherwise I would have missed the many wonderful people I met at Club hotel whom I will be making reference to in this review.

The hotel is beautiful and clean and the beach has pristine white sands. The hotel be closed for 3 months from August 2014 for a well needed refurbishment of the rooms. They are clean and spacious but do need updating. I want to big up Euton one of the hotel mangers for sorting out our room problem. Thompsons messed up and gave us a double room for 3 people!!!!!! Euton stepped in and sorted out the issue and by the following day we were transferred to a triple occupation room. Thanks so much Euton.

The restaurant staff do an excellent job. Out of all the staff we only found one miserable worker but I won't waste my space giving her air time. They are attentive and good at what they do. I want to thank Mishka in the Green Island restaurant for all her hard work, ensuring the tables we're put together to accommodate 10 of us at breakfast, taking our drinks order and her beautiful smile and pleasant nature. Celia, Howard, Otis were others who did an excellent job.

As you would expect with all inclusive, the food does become repetitive, however there is ample food choice for everyone and fruits and veg galore. Due to the time of year mangoes were not fully in season - such a disappointment but that's nothing to do with the hotel. The drinks are all inclusive and in your rooms is a mini bar and fridge which is restocked every other day. If you are a big drinker then you will thoroughly enjoy having drinks on tap. The cocktails were amazing, the bar staff know how to make good cocktails. You must try the Miami-vice, strawberry or even mango daiquiris. Delicious drinks all included in the all inclusive package. If you wish the bar staff will even mix drinks according to your request!

The hotel entertainment was phenomenal! The animation team are the best I have ever come
across. Their energy and enthusiasm cannot be denied and the show time performances were like being in a West End theatre or watching on Broadway. The dancers are not trained dancers but their natural talent shone through and left you mesmerised by their ability to entertain night after night. I am so going to miss these wonderful shows. A massive shout out to the Riu club hotel Animation team. Superwoman I love your beautiful spirit and will see you soon. Fire, you are an amazingly talented woman and you will make it big and I also look forward to seeing you again! Shadri, what can I say? Your energy, humour, and endless talent did not cease to amaze me. No one could stay miserable with you around. You are an all round entertainer and Riu needs to protect one of their greatest assets! Shadri I see you being scouted by someone big and your name going global! To the other animation team members whose name I did not mention, thank you all for making this a wonderful 2 week stay. You are all very talented - follow your dreams and don't settle for anything less.

Finally, I would like to mention Yamilka one of the asst managers - love you girl and look forward to hearing about the wonderful things that are about to happen for you. You made things happen for us and it was great just sitting down and chilling with you and Kadesha - another reception staff member.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. Yes there may be negative reviews and things may not go as smoothly as planned but the staff go out of their way in order to fix any problems and as the saying goes: Jamaica - no problem!

Room Tip: Block 3 is the furtherest away from everything and a longer walk, but as there is a refurbishment due to commence in 2014, all the rooms will experience a major upgrade.
2  Thank Patricia D
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I just got back a few days ago from a week long stay at this resort. I absolutely loved it! The ride from the hotel was about 75 minutes but it was nice, although sad in some parts due to the poverty. The service at the front desk was great and they were always kind and helpful. We requested a room on the top floor and they made that change for us without any problems. The room was nice but weirdly set up because it was a king headboard with two full sized beds pushed together which I found odd, but it wasn't a problem. The AC in our room would drip if we had it on too long but it wasn't a major problem for us. We weren't in the room much anyway so we just placed a towell beneath the dropping and told the cleaning lady. The cleaning ladies were great. Our room was restocked with towels daily, our trash was emptied and the beds were made for us. If you can, try to get a room in building number 1 as the others are further away from all the entertainment, lobby and restaurants. The food was very good for a hotel/resort. I wouldn't rate it 5 stars but definitely 4/5. Everything always tasted fresh and was flavorful! We tried out the steak restaurant as well as the gormet and both were good, but not great. The entertainment each night was fantastic and there was always plenty going on during the day as well. Each night there was an icebreaker and performers (during our stay there were acrobats, fire dancers, a band, Jamaican dancers and much more) from about 8:30-11 ish. It was awesome and all acts were great! The entertainment staff at the hotel were awesome too. They were all great dancers and very energetic and fun to watch. During the day at the resort there was aerobics, volleyball, bingo, pool games and much more. As for drinks go, they were wonderful. I'm only 16 and couldn't drink but the non alcoholic drinks were tasty and they could make almost every drink non-alcoholic. There were several bars throughout different spots in the resort and my mom enjoyed the alcoholic drinks very much. We did 1 excision which was the catamaran cruise to ricks cafe which I HIGHLY reccomend. The snorkeling was great and the tour guide was amazing! His name was Big Bird and he was super awesome and sweet. Ricks cafe was awesome and it was cool to watch the divers jump but also very scary at the same time. I loved it! The sunset on the way back was beautiful and like no other sunset I had ever seen. It was totally the best part of the entire trip. The beach at the resort was nice, but not the best in negril from what I can tell. The water was very blue but not the bluest or clearest. There was some seaweed along the shore but not nearly as much as I am used to seeing.
Cons:
Vendors can be annoying at beach but not over baring
Only 90 mins of free wifi everyday in the lobby (can be good and bad)
No waffles at breakfast
Sometimes staff can be pushy when it comes to encouraging people to participate in activities
AC leak in room
Overall I loved this resort! It was truly an amazing experience and I totally reccomend it to everyone! I am astonished some people rate this resort with only 1 star.
My honest rating would be 4.6/5

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Maddie616
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was our 3rd visit to a Riu and it was not as nice as the others. It is an older motel and really needs to be updated. (I have been told a remodel will be done in August of this year) The beach was very nice and calm as we were in a cove. On occasion a few waves would roll in but nothing very big, great for kids and people who like the water but not the surf. Our room was very spacious and clean but every day we had to ask for towels as something was always missing, sometimes we got them and sometimes we didn't. The food was very good and the drinks were as well. The best feature of this motel was the staff, they were the friendliest group I have ever seen. They were always smiling and talking to guests every where on the resort, it didn't matter if you were young or old they really made you feel welcome.
I really don't like saying negative things, but this is not a place I would return to. I'm not sure if it was the time of year but you could count on it raining every day around 3 or 4 P:M. lasting at least 2-3 hours not just a light rain, it poured. It was a big resort, but it didn't really have much to do. It had 2 very small gift shops and an even smaller casino. There also seemed to be a lot of locals selling things on the beach, every day all day, at the resort, All in all we had a fun time, as far as we were concerned everything was just OK, not your usual Riu standards. All of us liked the Montego Bay side of the island better. This was my 3rd visit and it won't be the last, luv Jamaica !!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have been travelling to Jamaica for 18 yrs and this is the worst hotel, the only saving grace is its staff, they were the friendliest and most helpful of all the other hotels I had stayed in. I know its closing down for a new pool but it needs a lot more than that. We always would use the swim up pool bar but this was so dirty we couldn't use it, it made our skin itch, im sure its because the people who sit at the bar never move but it nether seems to effect other pools we have used in other hotels. The rooms are very run down, our TV didn't work for the whole 3 weeks we were there, they kept coming up to fix it and when you have children a TV is still needed. The reception staff especially Tat-Yana and Redesha were fantastic they made our stay, every time they saw us the spoke and made conversation make sure you keep them, the waiting staff were brilliant especially Gay. The entertainment staff were good especially Superwomen, panther,Colourzs, Spotlight, the entertainment manager and asst manager were n9ot so good, they need to interact with their guest just a smile and hello would be a start. The food was ok not as good as the riu in Ocho Rios though, on a whole other than the staff I will not return here I would go back to the other riu though.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the rooms in building 1 or 2 as its a very long walk.
1  Thank marleySuffolkEngland