6,054 results
All reviewsfish sanctuarysinging barmanjerk chickenentertainment staffricks cafejerk hutswim up barbloody bayevery other dayclub hotela la carte restaurantssand fliesgourmet restaurantmake reservationssea urchinsys fallswater shoes
Reviewed 1 May 2014

we've stayed at many all inclusives in Jamaica, Punta Cana, and Mexico. This one ranks pretty much average with the majority we've stayed at. The lobby and staff were super nice, we had no problems getting into our rooms early and were able to stay in building one which is close to everything. maybe because we went end of April which I guess is considered off season. we traveled with 4 teenage boys and 4 adults. the boys always found something to do. the activities were ok, pretty typical pulling people from pool to participate. the evening shows were just ok-i've seen better at the riu montego bay, but by 10 or 11pm we were tired anyway. the food was the same everyday pretty much at the buffets and was just fine. we stayed 5 days, and got a little tired of it, but we're not fancy so we didn't starve. we took a shuttle to margaritaville which was free, just tipped the driver. then we got a taxi to rick's cafe which we've been to before but the kids hadn't and they had a blast. we also taxi'd to the blue hole water area the next day and that was awesome. the drive was fun and the place is small but really cool. $10 per person to hang out swim and jump and you could buy beer and drinks. cab ride was $120 for the 8 of us from club riu hotel. beach was always clean, lots of vendors down a little you could walk to. there were vendors walking up and down, but if you say no thanks, they pretty much walk on. our boys had fun conversing with the locals and yes, they do ask if you want to buy or smoke pot, but we really don't but you could definetly smell it all the time. no biggie for us. all in all great time and would return after the renovations.

Room Tip: building one or two is best because they are closest to pools and lobby and restaurants
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Booked this at the last minute through Cheap Caribbean and this was my first time at this hotel but not the Riu franchise so I knew what to expect and for the most part it is as advertised.
Just a couple of points that may prove helpful.

Rooms- yes building four (4) is a long walk from the resort center but it also offers the the more secluded section of the beach away from the high decibel entertainment by the pool area.

Food- Standard but plentiful at best. I am not a fan of the Riu reservation system for the specialty restaurants
- get on line at 8:00 am and hope for a time two days away .... really
Avoid this by showing up at the restaurant of your choice that evening and get on the stand by list for no-shows. Worked three time while I was there and the food is far superior to the buffet.

Be sure to get lunch at the jerk chicken shack of the beach. you can't miss it, it's the one with the line everyday that worth standing in.

Book your Catamaran tour to Ric's Cafe at the water sports stand and save $20 pp.

Just of the beach to the left are a string of vendors who will sell local crafts vs. the lobby shops
and be prepared to negotiate.

USD are used freely and most things are quoted in USD so really no need to convert currency but the local exchange rate was 1USD to 100 Ja.

It's a nice place enjoy....

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Yankee12518
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed at this resort with two other couples and had an absolutely fantastic time.

The food is amazing, we have stayed at plenty of other resorts all over the Caribbean and we have found the food at the Riu resorts to be consistently fabulous. We only hit one a la carte restaurant (The Steakhouse) but to be honest we were completely satisfied with the regular buffet and would have been just as happy not bothering with an a la carte. Not to say the Steakhouse was bad, it was phenomenal.

I can honestly say the entertainment at this resort was better than I have ever seen at any other resort I've ever been too. On our last night they had a steel drum band come in and they blew everyone's minds, extremely talented. The entertainment stage area was packed for every show which was good to see.

We found the staffing to be really great as well, in fact the staff are probably the number one reason I would come back here. They are genuinely friendly AND hilarious. They go out of their way to make sure you are having a good time.

The beach was beautiful with lots of great snorkeling right in front of the resort. We spent hours and hours snorkeling every day we were there. The Jerk chicken hut on the beach is great for when your getting hungry, although they don't make it as spicy as I'd like since they are tuning it for tourist tastes. The smoked sausage from the Jerk chicken hut is very very good as well.

My only negative remark would be the rooms and their location. The rooms are very clean, but they are pretty basic. Not that you spend a lot of time in your room, but I've stayed in nicer rooms for the same money to put it in perspective. The further building you are from the main building, the closer you will be to the busy road, so you will get some traffic noise depending on where they put you. Initially we were going to ask to be moved, but once we were in the room itself we couldn't hear the traffic so we decided it was ok. Being a warm blooded Canadian, I needed the AC on at night to stay comfortable, but every night around 2:00am the resort must remotely switch off all the AC units b/c like clockwork our AC would stop blowing cold air around that time. It was very frustrating since you would wake up drenched in sweat.

All in all, we had a fantastic time, and I would highly recommend this to anyone since this resort caters to lots of different crowds.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the main hotel, the further away you are the more walking you will have to do, and the more traffic noise from the street you will get. If I was to do it again I would pay extra for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I found the holiday overall perfect. The sea was a bit shingly and not very clear. The food was very varied and the Italian restaurant where I went for my birthday made me feel very special as they made me a cake and also I had a banner on my door. The jacuzzi is actually inside not as I imagined outside in the pool. The drinks are excellent especially the Margaritas and Strawberry Dacqui. Paul the senior bar man was very good singing whilst serving. The trips were a rip of as the Jamaicans were mad drivers and made passengers ill.

Room Tip: First block
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed here from 14th April -28th April 2014. I can truly say that this was one of the best holidays I have ever been on. This was my first trip to Jamaica and I wasn't disappointed. I travelled with a group of 10 people for a wedding.

The hotel is lovely, clean and spacious. The rooms are also very clean but do require an update which is scheduled for later on this year.
The food is on a weekly rotation, so it does get repetitive if you are there for more than a week. However there is a good selection of food. I also do recommend the jerk hut on the beach

The entertainment:
Where do I start? The animation team are FANTASTIC and are a great asset to the Riu. The team played a significant role in making this a great holiday. They put on various activities on during the day, and they don't pressure you to get involved if you want to just chill and relax. I have to send a big thank you to Superwoman, Fyah, Starboy, Colourz, Angel Eyes and the entertainment manager Kerry-Ann. The talent in this team is amazing. The dance shows they put on are world class, and are as good as some dance performances I have seen in theatre. A few of the dancers that I had the privilege of getting to know during my stay are Popsicle, Lesley and Mickey- genuinely nice people.

A few other members of staff to mention are, Mishka the lovely waitress at the Green Island restaurant who was attentive, pleasant and always ensured the tables were put together to accommodate 10 people. Also Celia and Howard at the Green Island restaurant. Yamilka one of the managers, the towel guys by the pool. Lastly I have to big up my Barmen Romio & Maro (they make the best drinks! I wish I could bottle the cocktails!)

I enjoyed every minute of my holiday, and I can't wait to come back. Also it would be nice to get a response back from the hotel management as I would like them to pass on my thanks to the staff mentioned in my review. From reading previous reviews, it doesn't seem like Riu takes the time to acknowledge guests reviews. As a regular trip advisor contributor I am used to hotel managers taking the time out to reply. This shows that not only does the hotel care about their staff, but also the reputation of the hotel and the views of their guests.

Room Tip: Get a room in the 1000 block as its close to the reception, restaurants and pools
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family