“first time stay at ClubHotel Riu in Negril 13/06/14 to 27/06/14”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“first time stay at ClubHotel Riu in Negril 13/06/14 to 27/06/14”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

My Husband and I have just returned from this holiday booked for 2 weeks on the above date. when we booked this hotel, we did not read the reviews before we booked and when we read the reviews we were very worried! but as soon as we got to the Hotel we loved the place, it was simply beautiful, the whole place is very big, lovely land-scaped gardens. the food was always fresh with lots to choose from, and the rooms big and very clean. we were in the first block, which was near to everything, pools, food, all activities, a word of warning for those who do not walk well, there is no lifts, and accommodation can be very far away and up lots of stairs. The air conditioning does not really work instantly, you have to leave it on all day so that when you do return to the room it is reasonably cool. we had a lovely room attendant/maid who looked after our rooms for us with lots of towel decorations, her name was Melina. there was an incident were i sat in a freshly painted chair that was still damp from paint and it came onto my blouse, which the manager Maria cleaned and returned to me the same day which i was grateful for. All the staff were very friendly and polite, the best time was breakfast as i found the breakfast staff to be extra good. My only gripe is that they had a nightly Disco that started 11.00pm to 2.00pm we went there at least 3 to 4 times, on each occasion the DJ played really rubbish old commercial chart music, really cheesy non Reggae music i really complained to everyone about it as most people come to Jamaica for the Reggae music and we do come from countries that play up to date Reggae music and we are not stuck in the YMCA time zone! which was one of the songs he played! apart from this we really got no real up to date music which if ur a music lover was horrible. apart from this and the over expensive Taxi rates the Taxi charged all visitors we had a great time. we are a very young 40s couple.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lynch354

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,341)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here over Xmas holidays/13. Upon arriving, check-in was good and we had a room with an oceanfront room. I believe it was block 2. Room was great location for Beach but a bit of a walk to everything else. The room was very small. Smaller than most which we found a bit uncomfortable. First night there, we sat on our terrace and drank beers and I was completely bitten by sand fleas. I woke up in the night and counted over 75 bites on the back of my legs. Daily, At dusk, they had someone blowing pesticides out of a little vehicle I'm assuming to help with the bugs. Sand flea bites are a total nuisance as they continue to itch and annoy for a week. I went in the ocean to stop the itch. I had bug anxiety for the rest of the trip.

The food was the best part of the hotel for us. The food was amazing. We love jerk chicken, goat curry and oxtail etc. and this was plentiful here for lunch and dinner. Jerk hut on the beach was always great. Usually it's only chicken. Pork would be nice too. Breakfast was Awesome with fresh exotic fruits like durian, soursop and jackfruit. And stewed prunes with yogurt and of course, the omelette station. There is so much variety here. Service was hit and miss. The women that worked here were mostly miserable. The guys were much better. The ala crates were ok. Many Jamaicans come here on the weekends so they cater to that crowd as well. Hence, the yummy traditional Jamaican food.

The Beach.. Well.. This was the worst we have been to. The water is barely turquoise. And it's all murky and swampy on the bottom. It's gooey and furry. Barely went in. We are beach people so this was very unsatisfactory. Turns out, this beach is man made. As soon as you turn down the beach where the vendors are it gets beautiful. So we left this resort and upgraded to the Riu Palace for our last week.

The vendors all along this beach are very harassing and extremely annoying. They really need to do something about this.

This place was very busy and too crowded for our liking. If you like to party and don't care about a beach then this is a great place for you.

Room Tip: Do the upgrade to the oceanfront room. It's quite nice even though it is small.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tanna28
Thetford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed at the Club Hotel Riu Negril for two weeks in May with my husband and we both had an amazing time. This is my fourth time to Jamaica but first to a Riu. We had no complaints - ALL staff go out of their way to help you and work so hard. I am a fussy eater but had no problems in finding something to eat as there was so much choice. Our room was cleaned everyday and we had clean towels. I cannot believe how many negative reviews there are on here especially 'no elevators' ?? There are 3 storey buildings - if you need an elevator then you should surely check this out at the time of booking, and complaints at how far it is to the restaurants? you are on holiday what's the rush. The entertainment team are fantastic, they work really long hours and are so friendly. We cannot wait to return next year :-)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Kirstie M
Negril, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed for 5 days and 4 nights and had a wonderful time. From checking in at the beautiful lobby to checking out was smooth sailing. The grounds were immaculate, room and bathroom was spotless and spacious, and the food and drinks were in abundance and variety. The nightly entertainment was good, and so was the music. The beach and pools were extremely clean with ample chairs all over. The entire STAFF was pleasant and took pleasure in ensuring that each person had a great stay. I hope they're paid well because they are really fabulous! Would definitely visit this place again.

Room Tip: If you would rather not walk too far, even though the walkway is smooth and lined with beautiful tre...
4 Thank Yawdgirl
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

My only complaint is that the beach had a few rocks in the water and seaweed . We were there for a wedding and it was excellent. The food in the buffet was superb . The staff very nice and friendly. We were there on june 4-11th. The weather was hot and it clouded over with rain showers in the afternoon. Jerk chicken on the beach soooooo yummy. I would go back :):):)

Room Tip: We upgraded when we got there to a ocean suite ..way larger rooms :):):)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank crystalblue999
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I thought my husband booked the Riu Tropical , he did too but he did not. When the bus dropped us off I was so upset, especially reading all the horrible reviews. Tried to transfer but the other Riu was overbooked. Ok, we are here let's make the best of it. The staff was extremely friendly, got our room 2040 & 2041 garden view. A bit of a walk but not bad had a nice view of the grounds and ocean. Room was very clean, beds & pillows comfortable, bathroom spacious & again very clean. We had a light out, called the front desk & they came within 15 mins. We arrived late, 6pm so no beach. We changed and went to dinner, we were pleasantly surprised at all the options and the food was very good. Replenished frequently as were our drinks. Next day beach! Don't worry about getting up at 6 am to get a chair on the beach, more then enough lounge chairs, short beach but clean, nice sand and the water was beautiful, clear blues. Staff works hard to make sure you are having the best time, lots of activities, lots of music and games. The jerk chicken was awesome! Better than the Grand Bahia! Lunch, again the food was plentiful, lots to choose from & very good. I was very pleased and happy we stayed here. The only things I would say I was upset, well no disappointed would be the reservations, they do 2 days out & you need to be in line by 7:30 to make your reservations. The steak house was out of this world, steak cooked to perfection, wait staff remarkably friendly. The next night we ate at the Italian restaurant, again super friendly, delicious food nothing to complain about there. Along with the dinning buffet too, every night was a specialty, fresh and delicious food breakfast to dinner.
The next thing I would say was a disappointment was the pool, it was small & worn always crowded especially the swim up bar but we didn't go for the pool & didn't even go in. The last would be the locals walking the beach selling, this can be annoying but also you can make new friends, talked to the locals, yes they want to sell you everything but also tell you about the island & cultures. That;s all I can say was wrong. If you are staying in buildings 4 & up yes it is a walk to everything but what;s your hurry? The Jamaican people are so welcoming, accommodating & work hard, very hard to make sure you are entertained. So when you see Spotlight & all the crew CLAP hard & let them know they are awesome! Oh the bartender in at the Welcome bar sings, what an incredible voice he has!
Don't be afraid to stay here, those who have negative reviews live a very negative life. It's Jamaica, it's beautiful!

9 Thank 4me
Mason, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Just returned from Jamaica yesterday and we stayed at here at Club Riu! After reading a lot of mixed reviews on the resort I was nervous about our visit. To start, it's about an hour and a half drive from the airport, so not too bad. Our transportation was included because we booked through Delta vacations so that was very convenient! As soon as we pulled up my breath was taken away by the gorgeous lobby that open right up into the grounds. We were greeted right away with drinks. A few downsides off the bat was we were there with family and we were all put in the same building except for my mother and father in law who were accidentally booked 3 buildings away from us. Also it took a really long time for the staff to bring our luggage to our room, and they leave it outside your room so if you don't mind I would suggest just taking your luggage to your room. Food was amazing, I don't see what anyone is complaining about in that department, I mean they give you a million options to choose from including a Jamaican area to try local eats. Waitstaff is great, we always ate breakfast outside and had the same waiter so he knew exactly what to bring us to drink as soon as we came. Unfortunately you do have to make reservations 2 days in advance for the formal restaurants and you have to get up to the lobby as soon as they start accepting them. We ate at Shadows and Sir Andrews (which men need long pants to eat there), both great but few options to choose from. The grounds are very, very well kept. They clean the beach before everyone wakes up and even brush the sand off all the lounge chairs. They are always mopping, sweeping and just cleaning every little thing. The pool was cleaned every morning, even the lounge chairs were sprayed down. I know gratuity is included but we would leave a few dollars for the maid with a note if we needed something extra and she would always do an excellent job in our room and give whatever I asked for. Also, the maid does not stock the bar (which I found out the first day) so if you want extra beer or water in your mini fridge just leave a few bucks with a note saying what you want and they will definitely provide!! The resort is tucked away in a bay so no huge waves and lots of underwater sea life! The main reason we were here was for a wedding and the bride (my sister in law) told me everything was very easy except for when she wanted to ask questions she would have to call internationally, but that's a given. They offer all kinds of packages, hers included a photographer (who was awesome) and flowers, the whole ceremony set up as well as a dinner. The bride and bridesmaids had their hair and makeup done at the salon on the resort and only one of the bm's was unhappy with her hair (too much hairspray and not done the way she wanted). The wedding was flawless, everything went as planned and the resort has a coordinator that helps with everything. The bride and groom also got upgraded to a suite during their stay! Starting at building 3 there is no swimming due to that area being a 'Fish Sanctuary' which I thought was really awesome. That is also where they hold the weddings so no worries on people swimming behind you while getting married! Lots of things to do on the resort. The entertainment staff pretty much always has something going on either at the beach or poolside. Included at the resort is snorkeling rentals (just around the beach area), kayaks, paddle boats, and windsurfing. For excursions I would recommend horseback riding or if you aren't looking to leave the resort I would highly recommend the catamaran!! They have a huge one that fits 100 people, but we did a smaller private one so it was just us. You can sit on a net right over the water and they take you to an area to go snorkeling (I could have stayed there all day!!), our captain was great and very informative giving us facts about the island, we then stopped at Rick's which is set right up on a cliff. The guys in our group all went cliff diving and then we sat at the bar (with an amaaaaazing view) for a drink before we got back on the boat. The captain took us to see inside a cave since we were small enough to fit in one which was awesome, it also just so happened to be right under where Bob Marley's manager use to live! I would definitely say this was more of a family resort, if you are looking for a place with no kids I would recommend this resorts neighbor, Riu Palace. We brought our kids and they had such an amazing time between the pool, ocean and kids activities. We stayed in a suite so it would be easier with the kids. It was a little smaller than what we expected but still a great space nonetheless. This was our first all inclusive and I truly have no major complaints. No hotel is perfect so I think a lot of people are being a bit harsh. You're on vacation so you can't let the small things get to you. Every employee there was extremely nice. And we will definitely be back!! Thank you for a much needed, relaxing vacation Riu!!

Room Tip: There are no elevators so if you don't like stairs I would request a 1st floor room. We were on...
11 Thank Krystal M