“definitly going back!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Negril
“definitly going back!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

first off, dont listen to some of the stuff that was written previously this was my first time in jamaica, and all I can say is I will definitly be back :) Everything was amazing!! the food was great, the beach was great, the parties were great. when we went there was a lot of couples and families, but we still had a blast. we met so many people, from the staff to the locals all were so friendly. the boat cruises were amazing so much fun and all the staff from Scuba CAribe were amazing.. the bartenders were the best, always making sure you had a drink in your hand, and always have a smile on your face.

our room was in the third building, we stayed In 3232. amazing view of the ocean. it was a bit of a walk to the main area but it wasn't too bad because I met new people walking back and forth. there is no elevator so we had to walk up the stairs to the third floor but you get use to it.

the weather was hot, hot, hot and it rained for about10 min then it was beautiful sun. the entertainment at night was so much fun.. I definitly recommend seeing the shows and getting involved with the pre shows :)
I can keep going on about how amazing it was. if you booked here great choice! if you're thinking about it, DO IT!! :)

what happens in jamaica, stays in jamaica..ya mon !!

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
10 Thank xoxstefxox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from Aug 9-13. We came through Signature Vacations as a last minute deal as our honeymoon plans for Hawaii were a dud due to the lovely double hurricanes headed for the islands. While I had a good time for my first time in Jamaica, I was not bowled over by the hotel. It has an interesting architecture - very Roman and Greek style. The reception staff was very helpful and courteous. Our room maid was great too. Most of our servers were upbeat and friendly, except for one or two here and there who were a little lackluster in their service and smiles. Bartenders were super friendly. Overall, I have no complaints in terms of the service that I received.

In terms of the hotel room, I felt like this resort must be an older one, as the room seemed very dated. I caught a couple of spiders in the room on the first day. There was not a lot of countertop space in the bathroom, the bathtub looked a bit worn, and there is a wall dispenser that contains an all-in-one shampoo and body wash gel. Bottom line, bring your own toiletries if you are a girl. The room has those old big back TVs. All in all, I think the rooms need a major reno to bring it up to par to the newer and better resorts that it is competing with.

The beach was very nice. There were a lot of lounge chairs, so we had no issues finding one, although the better located ones are taken up quite quickly. By the pool, it may be harder to get a lounge chair if the resort is packed. As this is during hurricane season, I guess the resort was not crowded to capacity, so it was manageable for us. Just be aware that there’s a lot of seaweed in the lagoon, and lots of fishes come close to the shore sometimes. Great for snorkeling!

Food is definitely an area for improvement. The specialty restaurants require 48-hr notice for reservations, which I think is quite unreasonable. My husband and I got to the resort close to midnight on August 9th. We could only make reservations for those restaurants as of 8am on the Sunday. Given that they have that 48-hr rule and that we were leaving on the Wednesday, we could only make reservations for Tuesday. Thankfully, the lady who manages reservations got us a reservation right after a cancellation came through for the Monday. Otherwise, we would have had the buffet food for 2 days in a row – which would not be so bad except that it’s the same food pretty much every night. There’s a lack of variety from day to day. Our stay was short, so it was not too bad. But I can imagine the feeling of redundancy for someone staying there for a week or more.

The entertainment at the resort was quite nice. The live band added a nice feel to the evenings when we would go for a walk. The night shows were fun too for the most part. The entertainment group was one hardworking group – they were so energetic from daytime into the nighttime. Kudos to them!

I read a review previously which had a good suggestion: upgrade the locks to a key card system. This one doorkey situation can be inconvenient. Also, another reviewer had complained about the drive from Montego Bay to Negril. Just be mentally prepared for the 1h20min bus drive. Sleep, sightsee or read. It’s a comfortable AC full size bus if you go with Sunwing, so just try to enjoy the drive.

I don’t know if I would come back here unless the resort is renovated. But, it was not all bad. The beach was really nice, the weather was just right. With some improvements, this resort could be so much more!

Room Tip: We had an oceanfront room, and absolutely loved it. The view was worth the extra $$!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
3 Thank Nish S
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family and I spent 3 days at Riu Negril last week and enjoyed great Jamaican hospitality and more food than we could manage :-). Everyone was very helpful and pleasant. The only thing we could ask for was more child-friendly entertainment. Some of the shows were too adult in their content and there were many families on property with young children.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room, especially if you have elderly family members as there are no elevators...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We have just got back from this hotel after a two weeks holiday here..
Airport..
I would by far reccommend u get the VIP through Thomson because the queing was shocking was in the que for a gud 2hrs waiting to get though security the VIP gets you through this quick and fast.
The bus ride was just under an hour n half wasn't too bad to be honest had worst.
Check in..
Was very quick was given a fruit punch on arrival was very refreshing just what you needed after the long bus ride
Rooms..
We had no major problems with our room was nice clean n very spacious.. Out dryer did break and the airport over heated but these problems was resolved very quickly the same day so we don't have any bad things to say.
The hotel is quiet big but easy to find things once you have a little walk round.. Block 1+2 is the closet to everything so I would reccommend those to people. The food was great it does become the same thing some days but you wil never starve plenty to be eaten.. The staff on the restaurants are very polite and helpful always go the extra mile for you. The pools are quiet big if you like to watch the entertainment go round the pool with the beach bar they do play music through day but come on you are in Jamaica I loved listening to the music while sunbathing round the pool.
Entertainment..
These are far the best I've ever seen they know how to make people have a good time while on holiday.. Fantastic dancers we was In a world of own watching these guys dance mesmerised by them.. The shows at night are great don't think we can say we didn't like any. I just want to say the manager that Angel Fire Roley Poley Shadrick Superwomen these people make the hotel what is it if it wasn't for them I don't think we would have had the fantastic holiday we had if it wasn't for them these are a true team player. Go that extra mile to ensure your having a brilliant time. Thanks you 5 where going to miss you loads.
Trips.. We did the bob Marley n Dunn river was a great day but a very long day aswel but the dunns river is a must you should do this it's worth it. Appleton rum factory and ys falls another long day but was another good trip. Ricks and retail not bad nice to have a little shopping trip n to see the cliffs divers we did see a horrible accident and that kinda spoilt our experience there. Caribbean swim is a must must fantastic trip only 20min away would recommend.
The Thomson rep is fantastic any problems go to her or the reception and will be fixed straight away.. Was my sisters birthday while we was there n she sorted out 1 if the restaurants for us and a cake they al sung happy birthday to her Aswel was very nice for them to do that for Herat no extra cost.
Al in al this hotel is very nice and I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.. I'm already considering to return as soon as I can.
Thankyou to everyone at the riu for an amazing fantastic holiday that we will never forget xx

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Marissa S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

The hard working staff make this hotel a lovely place to stay. I wasn't bold over by the hotel as it seemed to be out of place with the décor, very European looking, greek statues etc..
The food was god awful, having Jamaican parents I know what the food is suppose to taste like, but I didn't enjoy any off it.
The entertainment at this hotel is excellent, the entertainment team deserve 100% raise. The bar staff were pleasant, and the waiters and waitresses are professional and helpful. Our room maid was just fabulous.

Room Tip: get a room in block 1 ground or 2nd floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Simi F
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

On first impressions nice bright hotel. You get a welcome drink and porters take your bags to your room. Reception staff are lovely and often asked how the holiday was going! Hotel is a fair distance from the airport! There are no lifts at this resort so anyone with babies and disabilities would need to request ground floor rooms. Bedrooms are pretty basic and would benefit from a good upgrade and revamp.
Pool area and pool bar are nice... First week was very busy due to dream weekend with very lively crowd but I would advise not taking children at this time due to sometimes inappropriate behaviour for kids to see. Second week was more chilled out and more family crowd.
Breakfast selection is very good and definitely best meal of the day. Lunch time in shadows very good food and also there is a chicken hut on the beach that is good. However, evening Meals tend to lack creativity and selection is limited. After a week meals became very repetitive and quality has been hit and miss.
Entertainment staff are very friendly and welcoming. Can be abit pushy to get people involved in games and activities. Most games involve dancing (twerking). Evening entertainment was okay, especially external entertainers the steel band and live bands are very good. The hotel entertainment is pretty basic and needs to be on a fortnightly rota as it can get repetitive.
Generally the hotel is very clean and well kept. No glasses are left around or cups. Plates are cleared pretty quickly. Rooms are immaculate.
Apparently the hotel is due to be revamped with a new pool and new tv's in the rooms etc (the rooms have big back tv's which I haven't seen since 98) a good idea would be to have key cards instead of door keys for extra security.
Excursions through Thomson were good, we went to ricks cafe, dunns River and bob marleys place.
Overall a good holiday with some
Minor tweeks would make it excellent.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank adam r
East Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

OK so this is my 3rd time on vacation in Negril. First year I stayed at Riu Palace which was amazing! The second year we stayed at Negril Beach Club, worst place ever. If you ever travel to Negril never ever stay their even if your life depends on it. So we arrived on August 1, and proceeded to check in, the line wasn't to bad.....but be aware that there are no elevators...so I was given my room key or so I thought.....I climbed 3 flights of stairs just to be informed that I was given the wrong key... Aughhh so annoying... went back to the desk to retrieve a key.. was told that my guest and I would have to share a key!!!! (seriously).. after going back and forth for abt 10 minutes the person at the front desk informed me he would cut another key for the room... SO long story short the food for the fist 6 days tasted like crap!!! no lie the last day the food completely changed when all the dream week guest left. The service was ehhhh ok nothing special... the bars at this riu seemed a little unsanitary!! smell was a little disturbing. Next year we will be looking into staying at a villa.. so we'll be able to bring guess back to our room.. So yeah Riu earned 2.5 stars from me!!!

Room Tip: Don't get something to close to the ground level... (theft reasons) get a beach front view if av...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends