“Had a great and wonderful time at the Riu” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Negril

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Demotte, Indiana
“Had a great and wonderful time at the Riu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

Stayed at the Riu Negril March 20-27, 2009. This is our third abroad trip in the last 3 years. Mexico-Ixtapa, Dominican Repubic-Punta Cana, and by far Jamaica has been the best....
The Club Hotel is on the east side of Bloody Bay. There are 4 other resorts on the bay, the water calm, clear and warm. Every morning we would go down to the pool (with BAR) and save our chairs. Eat breakfast, which was great!!!! Then walk the beach to the other side where the Grand Lido Resort and back.
There are local people on the beach selling their wares, and a simple "NO THANKS" and they would say "NO PROBLEM". There is one person we got to know, his name was " Samuel". He makes thing from wicker, he would go up into the mountains and gather the wicker vines from the trees and come back and make baskets and hats. He sits in a chair that he made. There is another, his name is "Cheap Charlie"
There is a area on the beach at the resort that states "No Swimming-Fish Sanctuary". There you call see all kinds of Ocean Life!!!!!

Food: The food was very good, like I'd said earlier, the Breakfast was great, had a omelot everyday. Lunch, the buffet was at the Garden Inn or Lugi which was Ok, but the "JERK HUT" is where it at!!!!! Ate there everyday but Saturday, was close because of Jamaica night. It was open from Noon to 2:30, also there was red beans and rice, and corn on the cob at the HUT!!!! Dinner, ate at the buffet, which also was very good because the other three restaurants required a reservation, which you had to stand in line in the lobby for over an hour in the morning and asked for 6:30 or 9:00 PM.

The Staff: Everyone we met, was friendly and fun to be around, the entertainment people, had a really great time with them, from the pool and beach activities, to the jokes before dinner, to the nightly shows.
"PAUL" AKA Singer is a MUST SEE, you see him all over the resort, he is also a Asst. Bar Supervisor. On Friday and Tuesday nights at 8:00 pm in the lobby, he sings and PACKS TO HOUSE, he also sings when he is bartending in the lobby bar.
Our favorite bartender was Cleon, tall, very friendly, likes the ladies, he would make our wifes his specialty drink of the night. Tipped him very well, and your glass was never empty.

Rooms: We were in building 2, on the second floor 2144 and 2145. King Bed, Mini Bar, RED STRIPE BEER in the bottle!!!!!!!
A|C work well, ceiling fan, great water pressure and hot water. Everyday before going to the pool in the morning, I'd would leave the maid $5 and some mini hershey bars. When we got back to the room to shower and get ready for dinner, there was fresh flowers and something different every day on the bed made with towels. We never had a problem with face, hand, or bath towels.

Transportation: The bus trip from the airport was 2 1/2 hours, the bus driver will want to stop for you to eat or drink or use the bathroom. All we wanted was to get to the RESORT!!!!!
A guest we meet, gave us a number of a cab driver he used when he there, his name was Norm. Once again very nice and friendly. We had him pick us up at 4:00 PM and take us to Rick's Cafe, which is a MUST!!!! bar, restaurant, swimming pool. cliff diving, and caves to explore. About 7:00 PM after sunset, he takes up to the market for about a hour. Then we went to Margaritaville, and Norm joined us for a few RED STRIPES, we got back to the resort about 10:00 PM and the far was $15, we gave Norm $40 and he gave all 4 of us a hug and told us he loved us!!!!!!
Had no problem checking in or out. They never stop cleaning and grooming the whole resort. From mopping the tile though out the resort, to raking the beach. EXCELLENT!!!

By far th best and alreadly looking to go back to the SAME RESORT next year!!!!

The Jamaican people make you feel welcome, and they tell you to tell you friends about Jamaica!!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank SPARKYIndiana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

Good:
-Nice and clean beach
-lots and lots of beach chairs for every one.
-Staff is very friendly
- Ask for builind 1. You can still get an ocean view and your much closer to the restaurants and main building; otherwise you'll do alot of walking!!

Bad:
-This resort is very family oriented.
-A few weeding party took place while being there. All that said the crowed was younger then anticipated and some of them were very lound.

-Too many children - kids pool is barely used; so you have all the children jumping around in the adults pool.

- All a la carte reservation have to be done on daily basis. At other Riu's you could reserve your restaurant for the week. So having to stay in line every morning for 30-45 minutes was very frustrating.

- The service at the a la carte restaurant was TERRIBLE; they try to have everyone eat at the same time. so if your chatting away they will make you speed up. I was not even finish my steak dinner and they dropped off my desert.

-2 small pools. considering the size of the resort the pools should be bigger.
- Lots of sociliations is done on the beach for different activities

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mpharand
Madison
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

We went to Negril for a friends wedding. After reading some of the not so good reviews here, I was a bit concerned about us staying here. After a stay of 6 nights and 7 days, I have very few bad things to note.

ROOM: We were in building 4 which was furthest away from everything. It was quiet, the room was clean, and it was spacious. The only negative comment I can make is that the room left all of our clothes and bags with a musty smell, but it is the carribean with high humidity so no surprise there. The bathroom was spacious, although the shower itself was kind of narrow. There were no problems with water pressure or temperature to report. The minibar was kept stocked for us every other day as advertised. We didnt get an ocean view room, but that was ok since all we really used the room for was to sleep. 4.5 stars

FOOD: The buffet was surprisingly good for both dinner and breakfast. There was always a nice selection to satisfy most diets/tastes. The staff was very friendly and only once did we not get served coffee for breakfast. For lunch, we usually did the jerk hut right on the beach and that was pretty tasty, with hardly any wait. We didnt do any of the reservation restaurants because the lines were long, and there was no guarantee of getting a spot once you got to the front of the line. 4.5 stars

RESORT: We thought it was pretty well laid out, and wasnt crammed at all. We liked both pools, the plaza, the lobby, the entertainment stage, and the beach. We never had any problems finding spaces on the beach or by the pools. The only negative comments I could make would be about the long walk from the buffet restaurant to our room in building 4 but that is minor. I think for a resort of this size, they could use more public bathrooms (we only found two). One last comment was that the casino was kind of small and outdated, but we only spent aprt of one night there. 4 stars

ENTERTAINMENT: The staff is incredible. We were lucky enough to meet some of the entertainment staff and got to chat with them. Steve, the entertainment director, was one of them that we met and he was a blast. Some other guys we talked with went by the names of Flair and Rambo. All of them were down to earth, busted their tails, and had great attitudes. Some people find the shows a bit cheesy, but we appreciated the hard work that these guys and girls do every day. We particularly enjoyed the beach party and the Africa show about the King (cant remember the exact name of it). 4.5 stars

STAFF: I love the hospitality of the Jamaican people. I would say 95% of the staff we talked to, even briefly, was genuinely friendly. These people work long hours and are grateful to be working there. 5 stars

EXCURSIONS: We did two of them. The first one was the Sunset Booze Cruise ($50 each) through Apple Vacations. The scenery along the coast of Negril was gorgeous, as was the sunset. We stopped at Ricks Cafe, but it was a good 100 foot or more swim from the boat to the base of the cliff, and a much tougher swim than anticpated due to the ocean tides coming in and out and due to the effects of alcohol. They provide life jackets for the swim, so even if you think you are a good swimmer, you should use it. The other excursion was the South Coast Safari ($95 per person) which included 3 stops (Black River tour - excellent, YS Falls - pretty good but the stay was too short, Appleton Rum Estate - pretty good but it made for a long day). If doing the South Coast Safari, be prepared to spend alot of time on the tour bus and make sure you bring some food to munch on because you may or may not get served lunch depending on who does the tour. Our rep who was with Worry Free Vacations was very helpful and no pressure at all to sign up for things. We also booked a trip with Jennifer from Apple Vacations and she was also quite helpful. Booze Cruise - 5 stars, South Coast Safari - 4 stars

Overall we had a great time. The weather was fantastic, with only 2 brief periods of rain. I would definitely go there again, and would recommend this resort to others. For the price we paid, it was well worth it and the trip was better than our previous stay at the Riu Ocho Rios.

6 Thank Travelling_Fool1970
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2009

March 19 - 27.
Before to buy package I read many reviews. There were many good review, few bad. So, I made a choice... To my surprise, it appeared that more truth was in the bad reviews. It's unusual, but it is so...

ADMISSION was quick, we got good oceanview room in the building #2 on second floor. It was some not fresh smell in the room, but it dissappeared on the second day after room was cleaned.

ROOM was good, no lack of towels. Every day we were met with different towels art that was really pleasant. Air conditioner, practically, did not function. We called to admission about this, they sent technician 3 times. Technician got airconditioner able to make a working noise, but it was not able to cool air in the room. So we were all right with ceiling fan and open balcony door.
Shower was OK except time from 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM when it was not hot water. Bed was king size, one half of it was good, and another was bad.

FOOD was good.

BEACH is my main concern. It's not a sand on a beach, it's hard soil covered with tiny gravium that is like sand paper for bare feet. In addition, there is a lot of trees' roots getting out, so you need to watch out in order do not hurt feet. It'd be better do not walk with bare feet. Water looks clean, but has sulfur smell in some areas, but not everywhere. The bottom looks sandy about a shore, but when you walk you raise some clay clouds. When you walking deeper it appears that bottom is muddy like at swamp. Also, there is small sea weeds islands. The swimming area is shallow. And there is no waves at all. For snorkelling it's needed to go to riffs. I found some very poor riffs about massage booth, saw some very few fishes, stars, but it's not place for snorkeling.
if you get BEACH TOWELS at morning you cannot exchange it during the same day, only on next day, and only one time. I found it unusual.

SPORT. Voleyball court is terrible - it is not plain, not sandy, with hard soil covered with small graviums. I played 3 times, got my feet hurt so that I could not even walk up to the end of my stay. In contrary to the other resorts you seldom hear calls to play volleyball, and people did not play much, but , anyway, the court is very bad.
There is available kayaks, sail catamarans, water bikes. The problem is there is not guard. I went on kayak a little bit far, and on the my way back it's got windy. The wind was from shore, and it was so strong that I could not overcome it so instead to move to shore I was moved backward by wind. Big waves appeared, and I got overturned. I got on kayak, but the padle appeared outside about 3 feet away. I tried to get it rowing with hands, but wind moved me in different direction, and the padle got lost. I began to call for help, but nobody watched me from shore. I was riscued accidentally by people who was on water bike. I was not scared, but I thought about probability to get into open sea. The matter is, there is not guard, there is not any riscue boat, and during the storm nobody was concerned with situation. The storm was for about 15 minutes.

INTERNET is expensive in the Club, but it's possible to get it for free (I mean wireless) at Riu Palace Admission area.

ENTERTAINMENT is not bad.

2 Thank yansha
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

I stayed at the Riu Clubhotel March 15-21 2009
I couldn't have asked for a better experience in Jamaica! Upon arrival we were greeted with rum punch and an upgraded ocean front room. The room was spacious, very clean, with a fully stocked mini bar and a great ocean view in building 2. The beach and pool were great, plenty of chairs and bars at both that served great drinks! The jerk chicken hut on the beach is a must, they usually start cooking around noon.
We rented jet skis on the beach $40 for 30minutes, ask for Leon he will give you the best deal! We also did the sunset cruise through the hotel which was a great experience, they take you snorkeling, to a bat cave, and finally stop at ricks for a couple hours, and finally take you back to the hotel as the sunsets..it was somewhere around $50 a person..it was much better than the other sunset cruises offered because they take the boat right up to Ricks so you don't have to swim to the restaurant like most other trips.
The buffet offers a good variety of food and was always enjoyable, we went Sir Andrews and had good food, the Brazilian restaurant wasn't anything too impressive..service is a little slow at these restaurants but not a huge deal. The entertainment was pretty decent the few night I went, they had a steel drum show and reggae music another night . The staff goes above and beyond to make sure you are having a great time, they work long hours and do a great job keeping the resort clean.
The rooms were cleaned daily and the mini bar stocked every other day, the room stayed cool, the water in the shower was never really that warm but not too cold either, especially after a long day at the beach.
Also one day I went off the resort for shopping in the town of Negril which was less than a 10minute taxi ride and to a restaurant for lobster in the cliffs called Xtaba which was fun! I found if u go across the street from the resort to get a taxi you can get a better deal than what the hotel offers. We had a great driver named Toney his number is [-] he was a great driver and waited for us while we shopped and ate, he charged us somewhere around $30 for the whole trip.

Overall this resort is everything I could ask for and more...great beach, service, food, and rooms. A very relaxing trip.....I will defiantly be back again!

6 Thank Knmwildcat13
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2009

Stayed at the Riu Negril Feb 23-March 2, 2009. This trip was booked through an Apple Vacation Square Deal Negril. We didn’t find out which hotel we were going to be staying at until we arrived at the airport in Chicago.
We feel that we couldn’t have chosen a better hotel ourselves. The Riu Negril was totally awesome. There were so many positives I don’t know where to begin.
The Riu Negril is on Bloody Bay. Beautiful clear, warm water. Very little in the line of waves, so bring an air mattress or inner tube to float with. Huge swimming area. The beach area for lounging is also huge. There are many palm trees which offer natural shade. There are plenty of beach chairs so never a need to hurry down and save a chair in the morning. You could find a chair anytime of the day. (We didn’t sit by the pool so I can’t say whether or not it was the same case. It looked like that was a save situation if you had a favorite spot). No vendors on the beach at the hotel. One guy would walk through selling cigarettes or cigars, but just kept walking and never really approached anyone. As you walked toward Grand Lido on the beach there were other vendor huts but a simple “no thank you” and they did not bother you. The beach was a good “walking beach” nice and even and beautiful sand. An occasional shell here and there, but no need for water shoes. The Riu was at the end of the beach and you could walk all the way to Grand Lido. In my opinion we had the nicest of the beaches. The further down you went the fewer trees there were so if you need shade on the beach you were out of luck.
Food: The food was very good. There was such a variety on the buffet that there was always something that would please the fussiest eater. I think the best food was the jerk chicken and pork as well as the bbq’d chicken served at the Jerk Hut on the beach. It was supurb. It is not served every so make sure you find out what days they are doing this on the beach. You don’t want to miss it. Steakhouse had excellent steak and we also ate at Sir Andrew where we also had a great meal. I had the grouper and it was awesome. The only thing I could complain about is the reservation system. Stand in line every other day for about an hour and then you can only make one reservation for one of the nights. We solved that by booking with two other couples who were also traveling alone. It worked out great plus we enjoyed their company. The only restaurant men are required to wear long pants in is Sir Andrew.
Entertainment: We only watched one show. The best entertainment by far was when Paul, the bartender at the lobby bar sang. It was awesome. One night he set up on his own in the lobby after he was done working. He sang to a packed lobby of people who enjoyed his music for listening and dancing..
Rooms: We were in building 3 which was a way from the lobby but not a problem the walk did us good. We were on the ocean side with a very slight view of the ocean. We spent all the daylight hours on the beach so the view didn’t matter. Plenty of hangers in the closet. Double sink in the bathroom. Tub is very slippery so be careful. I keep those little shoe mitts that hotels in the states have in the rooms to clean shoes/boots with and lay them on the bottom of the tub. It helps keep a footing. Carrying them also works great for when a maid forgets a facecloth. This is something the maids at the Riu were champions at. They just couldn’t figure out the hand towel count and the face cloth count so be prepared. We left a tip daily and that didn’t help. There are small bottles of shampoo and bath gel provided along with soap.
The bus transfer to the Riu is long. They stop for a bathroom break and you can buy a beer there. This is a waste of time, another 20 min. and you’d be at the resort.
The room keys are the regular metal key attached to a key chain the size of a license plate. We took our own little key rings along and transferred the key to that for the week. A second key is available at the front desk at no charge.
The safe lock is a key kind also available at no charge
Transportation: Taxis are plentiful and available at the Taxi stand in the hotel. Prices are listed on the front of the taxi podium. We shared a taxi with another couple and went to Negril for a shopping trip followed by a visit to Rick’s Café for the cliff diving. It is a must see. Negril is small and all the shops have the same stuff and the same prices so you need not spend much time in town. Get to Ricks by 4:15pm if you want a good place to stand, after that the busses arrive and it is packed. We paid $10 each RT to shop and go to Ricks. If you want to shop, just wait until you go to the airport when you depart, there are plenty of shops where you can purchase tobacco, coffee, spices, shirts. Even a Harley Davidson store for those who ride.
The mini bar is stocked every other day. Water is provided. Two large bottles. It doesn’t last the two days. So we would fill our thermal mugs with water from the bar on our way to the room.
There was no noise from the road behind the blocks of rooms. Probably if you were trying to sleep in the daytime it would be disturbing, but at night it was quiet.
As stated in other reviews, there was definitely a lack of bathrooms around the beach area. There was one in Shadows restaurant and the other was off the lobby so it was quite a hike. The bathrooms were always clean.
There is one bar right on the beach.
The sunsets were awesome.
Check in was a nightmare, they are not organized at all. We were fortunate to have a room assigned right away. Some were not so fortunate. As for check out-it was one of the smoothest, quickest we ever experienced.
Cleanliness of the hotel and grounds: Excellent, they never stop cleaning and grooming
Staff helpful and friendly: By far the absolute best, The Jamaican people know how to make you feel welcome.
We have traveled to many destinations in Mexico, the Caribbean staying at Riu’s and other resorts. I rate this as one of the best destinations and one of the best resorts. I don’t’ know what the people who wrote the negative reports expected, this resort is top knotch and no one need worry about anything at the Riu, just relax and enjoy.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank bsunny
BOLTON, CANADA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

Stayed at the Riu Negril at the end of the beach! AWESOME!
There were the four of us friends that went January 22-30th, 2009...the weather was amazing the grounds, food and staff were great! the beach was clean and soft!
The alcohol you get in the rooms was always filled and topped up, which is always great! haha We did a day trip on the Sunset Cruise along the coastline of Negril along the way we saw some dolphins which was amazing, as well as we got to jump off the boat and swim into one of the caves to check out some bats, then continued on over to Ricks Cafe for an hour, watched the divers! crazy crazy! had some food, which by the way some of the reviews state the food was horrible we all thought is was great! the portions are a little small but great taste! on our way back to the resort we caught the sunset and saw a flying fish (first time ever for all of us!)...the days following we took another excursion over to the island which is about 10 minutes by boat, they apparently filmed some of Gilligans Island there (for those of you our age!), we saw eels, pelicans, live coral, sea crabs, sea cucumber, starfish and so much more it was cool.
I would recommend this resort for singles and couples or large groups!
Oh yah Crazy Devon we will find that dollar for ya in CANADA and send it to you! ;-)

7 Thank Rascalz