“A Perfect Wedding”

Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in Negril
San Francisco, California
“A Perfect Wedding”
Reviewed 14 June 2009

So, we booked the Riu Negril for our wedding. We had a fairly large group, with some young children. Planning it was hard, because we didn't know what we were going to get, but it ended up being perfect.
The biggest downside for our group was the transfer. It's supposed to be an hour and a half, but the guy waited for the bus to be full, and stopped along the way. It ended up being almost 3.
But, other then that, everything was perfect. We got married on the beach, not in the typical spot, but a little further down. They told us they don't normally do it there because when the tide is low, the seaweed pops out and looks ugly. But, when we got married there, the tide was high, and it looked great.
Dionne was the wedding coordinator, and she was great. If anybody from the Riu is reading this, she should probably get a raise. We through about 100 requests at her all at the same time, and she got everything done.
We had a private dinner on the beach, with appetizers and cocktails to start. During the cocktails, we had a steel drum band playing. I would probably skip the appetizers, but the steel drum band was great. Then, for dinner we had a beach bbq, and it was good. We asked them to accommodate vegetarians, which they did. They had veggie kabobs, beef, chicken and fish. It was really good. They provided us with wedding cake, which many people in the group said was very good. Then, after dinner we had a reggae band play for us. They were really great. We actually asked if they could play longer, but the had another gig.

Apart from the wedding, we really had a good time. The food was good for picky eaters and vegetarians. The staff where all super friendly and helpful. They had a steel drum band and a reggae band play on seperate nights, which was really fun (the rest of the shows were not really that good). We had a massage at the spa, and it was very good.

We read some reviews here that people had there rooms broken into. If you are worried, ask for a room on the second or third floor, keep the patio door locked and keep your valuables in the safe. I also noticed some rooms didn't have a peep hole, but ours did. I never felt unsafe at any point.

A couple of notes:
- there is free wireless in the lobby, so if you need to check up on things, you can use that.
-There are no elevators, so if you are not on the first floor, you will need to take the stairs. A porter will carry your bags up.
- there is a lady at the taxi desk who will rent you a sim card or a phone that has unlimted long distance to north america. My friend payed $10 for a day, but I think she will rent it for a week for like 15.
- they have 3 a-la-carte restaurants, but you have to reserve them by 8 in the morning the day of. We ate at Sir Andrews (gourmet) and the steak house. Neither have a great veggie option, but the meat eaters food was good
- you can use the facilities at the other riu, which is about a 10 minute walk down the beach. But, you can't eat or drink there
- the jerk chicken hut is delicious.

• Stayed June 2009
3 Thank rothmaniac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,358)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 12 June 2009

We returned from the hotel last week after a 2 week stay and overall we had a really good time.
The flights ( first choice) were really good and it didn't take too long to get through the airport, the transfer was fine although a little bumpy!
We were met at the hotel with a nice coctail and very quick check in , I had emailed the hotel before we went to request a room in the first block as had read reviews about the walks from the rooms to the pools and restauarants and we were in room 1060. Room was a good size and very clean, plenty of wardrobe space and no smell. For us the a/c worked fine and at night we turned it off and just had the fan on as we all got too cold. The fridge wasn't always restocked every other day but a phone call to reception soon sorted that out.
The pools were lovely and my kids were in them all the time, the pool with no bar was the one in which all the activities were done. The only things I didn't like in the pool with the bar is every so often people would jump in from the balcony above, ok if you know there coming but my 4 year old didn't and 1 guy nearly landed on her, other than that no problem,
The beach is lovely, we found the water to be very clear in the mornings but the sand seemed to get stirred up, probably by the jet skis going all the time by the afternoon, however overall the beach was nice and the water was warm.
Generally the meals were good, usually found something to eat, I am a bit picky, I didn't think there was much choice for children but the themed nights ( especially the mexican night) were excellent. We went to both the steak house and the brazilian restaurant and enjoyed both of these although a tip if you go to the steak house take bug spray as we were eaten alive. The reservations are a bit of a pain but I like to to try everything when I'm on holiday so I just took a book and queued.
I think the best thing about the hotel has to be the entertainment staff, the shows are ok, some better than others but entertainment team are excellent they were so good with both of my kids and always had time to chat to them or teach them a new move especially spiderman and spongebob. There was loadds going on so could pick if you wanted to do something or just chill out.
We also went into Negril and to Ricks cafe and really enjoyed both of these - it was nice to get off the complex and meet some of the local people who we found to be really friendly.
Overall we had a really good holiday and would probably go back to this hotel, there are some areas for improvement but there are at most hotels, and if you go looking for things then you will always find things.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Kijob
NY
Reviewed 11 June 2009

This is the honest truth! This place is not very good! The food is gross. 1)You have to be at the hotel lobby at 8 am to make reservations to the a la carte restaurants, [--] is that about! 2), The rooms are far from the restaurants, 3), they use keys not card keys for the rooms, 4), they don't label their foods, so you don't know what you are eating, 5) The lobyy smells like spoiled milk 5), when you are in the restaurants eating, there are wild pregnant cats around, it's gross, especially when you are eating, yuck!, 6), the drinks are not good, 7), do not come may or june, it's the rainy season, the weather is very unpredicatable, 8,) also, there is no room service or waiter service in the pool or beach area, 9), the beach and pool are beautiful, 10), there is no seafood, 11), the entertainment is sucky, it's like a high school musical with transnnies, 12) Where the [--] is the famous strip we heard aabout, there is nothing in negril, go to montego bay 13) the pina colada and the taquila sunrise drinks are good. 14) the brazilian a la carte restaurant is no good!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peachescm
chicago
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We returned to this hotel for the fourth time because our previous stays were amazing. This year, managment changed and with that everything else changed for the worse. Food: it was bad fast food, pizza, pasta, hot dogs, fries, not ok at a five start hotel. The restaurants were dirty and we found hair in the buffet food . Some dishes that were more or less appetizing were out for long periods of time.
Rooms: They are muggy and smelly. A/C at night was hardly working. Managment explained to us that it is working as a "regenerating system" Whatever it was doing we could not sleep at night because it was too hot.
Towels on the beach: we were not "allowed" to change it more than once a day.
Also, It was smelly at some area of the hotel.
This hotel rates itself as 5 star hotel. Seriously?! Shame on them! Ripping people off!
If you ready to spend money I recomend to spend it else where.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Yelenachicago
New Jersey
Reviewed 10 June 2009

I went to Jamaica as a “Girls getaway”. I stayed there for 4 nights/ and 1 day. I really enjoyed the Beach, the Pools, and riding the jet skis!!! Oh my gosh, they were the best!!! We rented them from the guys on the beach 3x’s! I went into the town to the clubs and I really enjoyed it, a bit scary but fun! Ricks Café is a must!! If traveling to the night clubs in town, please beware of the Pick Pocketers!! They picked pocket my cousin, they took her wallet out of her sealed pocketbook, we did not notice until we were in a Taxi on the way back. The hotel staff was very pleasant!! If you are calling back into the States, make sure your plan includes that. I was hit with a $450.00 phone bill (Sprint). I really enjoyed the night shows and my favorite drink was the “Rainbow”. I really didn’t care for the food, and was quite disappointed that they had very little Caribbean food, especially Jamaican food. I was looking forward to having some baked Plantains and could not get them!! The people were very friendly. In regards to the hotel room, the beds were not as comfortable, quite hard to be exact, but clean and always stocked. I traveled with three of my girlfriends. We had a balcony which most rooms have, which I personally enjoyed because I was able to sit outside and “chill” LMAO!! My best night was when the hotel entertainment group had a party on the beach!!! There were competitions, dancing and a whole lot of fun!!!!! I love Jamaica!!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank RethasBaby
hamilton
Reviewed 9 June 2009

We just spent 6 days at the Riu Negril and we are 110% completely satisfield. The food was wonderful, the bar service was superb (really missing Erica, Nicolas, Kevin and Gareth) and the front desk could not have been any better! I had lost luggage due to the airlines and the Riu staff worked really hard to accomodate me and also to locate my luggage... Elmar was awesome.

My favorite part of the trip was the entertainment staff ! These people were on their game at all times. Do they ever rest??? Never at any time of the day was there "nothing to do." Whether it was aerobics, volleyball, horseshoes, pool games, shows, dancing or the beach parties there was always something going on and everyone was included. All age groups were participating and it was fun how the entertainment staff stayed on the microphones and kept everyone involved. The night shows were just as fun and gave us no reason to leave the resort whatsoever. They are extremely talented and a lot of fun to watch! I wish I had half their energy. I can honestly say that Steamy, Spider, Batman, Tenicia, Dexter, Chevron, Devon and the rest of the dancers made our trip better than any other trip we have ever taken.

We also had a great excursion and had a great time with Tyrone the man who does the watersports. He really showed us a good time and we are snorkelers for life!

We are already planning another trip to Riu Negril. We hope to see our friends still there entertaining. We certainly made some great friendships.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jennox1022
Nottingham
Reviewed 8 June 2009

reading some of the reviews on this hotel since I have got back, and I am in shock at some of the things mentioned! It was a great relaxing holiday, the only problem we encountered was that we requested a twin room and we didn't get it. We reported this problem to the receptionist, who was distinctly unhelpful, so I kicked up a little more fuss and we ended up with a twin room and an upgrade along with a lot of attitude from the receptionist. Apart from that we loved it! It was my birthday whilst we were there, we booked the shadows steak restaurant for that night, which was excellent, the steak was cooked to perfection and then received a fruit platter and a bottle of rum from the hotel front desk to celebrate with. The spa was incredibly expensive, but I was on holiday so paid the price, was a good service. Breakfast was excellent, recommend the smoothie station definitely, dinner was great too, lots of variety, look out for the bouncey waiter called Otis. Fantastic maid did our room almost every day, lovely lady, chatted when we were there. Had absolutely no problem with the air con, worked brilliantly. Fridge was filled up every two days without fail.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends