“Disappointed with the Club Hotel Riu Negril”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 29 May 2010

We had originally booked to go to Jamaica on the 20th April 2010 staying at The Royal Decameron Runaway Bay but it was cancelled due to the Ash problems so we amended the Holiday going at a later date. Sadly we couldnt get into the Royal Decameron so we chose The Riu Negril at an addition cost of £930 for the 2 of us, from past experience we have been pleased with the Riu Hotels as we have used them before.

We checked in at Gatwick on the 11th May only to be told our 10.30am flight was now delayed until 1.45pm. Upon boarding the Aircraft the Pilot told us we were having to detour past the Ash flying past Manchester, Scotland, and over Iceland, Greenland, Canada then down the American Coast line etc....and that this would add a few hours flying time to our journey, our flight was now going to take us 12 hours. 3 hours into the flight the Pilot said all those passengers on the left of the Aircraft please look out the window as we have a clear view of Eyjafjallajokull Volcano the one causing all the problems....At first we thought it was a joke but seeing the Volcano we realised he wasnt joking....

We arrived at Montego Bay a few hours later than expected went through Passort Control and Baggage Reclaim quite quickly and then were directed to our Coach. Just as we went to board our Coach the Driver asked my Husband if he wanted any Weed/ Guanja or Women for Sex and if he did during the Holiday he was to contact him.....I was quite shocked at this point but we both choose to ignor the comment.

The drive to the Hotel was about an hour and a half and upon arriving at The Riu Negril we were given a Fruit Punch drink and then shown to our Room....We had an Ocean view ground floor Room 1049......We couldnt see the view as we had arrived at the Hotel at 10.30pm Jamaican time. The Hotel had left the Dinning Room open for late guests but we unpacked and went straight to bed.

We attended the Welcome meeting the next morning and were greeted by our Thomson Rep Christine who was very pleasant. She did make it clear to us all that we must not leave anything laying about in the room and to put as much as we could into the Safe that was valuable.....We did find this comment a bit strange to start with, but it soon made sence as there were a number of break in's while we were there for the 2 weeks. Also on 2 occasions we returned to our room and found our Front Door and Balcony Door unlocked and left open by the Maid and anyone could have walked straight in. There were alot of noise at night with the with the youngesters returning to their rooms, shouting or talking loudly and doors slamming. Thank god i packed my ear plugs...!!!

Althought the Hotel and the Grounds were very nice what spoilt this was the dirty plates and glasses left lying around by guests and the staff not picking them up, we believe this was mainly a problem caused by the American younger guests.

Our first week was a very relaxing quiet week then the 2nd week turned into a complete nightmare. The Hotel was transformed into a Club 18/30 Hotel by the huge amount of Ameicain Tourists who had no respect for guests or staff. They were all noisey, rude, arrogant yobs who drank from 10 am until midnight. What made it more annyoing Staff accepted this because they were being tipped by them. I would like to add that this isnt all Americans as we have spent some time with a few and enjoyed their company. One evening in particular the Bar had closed and a Lady wanted a glass of water and the Barman refused to serve her as the Bar was closed, but because this group of Yobs were tipping the Barman and he kepted giving them Shots and Cocktails, we then complained to the Barman and he completley ignored our comments. After about half and hour he shut the Bar and the repsonce from these Yobs was to start throwing the Chairs in the Bar around the Lobby. A few guests then started to shout at the Americans but it didnt do much good as there bad behaviour continued for the rest of our Holiday spoiling our time there and totally ruined any kind of relaxed atmosphere.

Another ocasion we were watching a Hungarian couple get married on the Beach and filming their Wedding and one of these drunken yobs was shouting at the Groom... W*****....as they were taking their Vowels, this was absolutley disgusting and unaceptable behaviour.

On a brighter note we found all the Restuarants to be good and the service excellent, the food was always hot and plenty of choice, whether you wanted Meat, Fish, Pasta, or Salad there was a good variety.

Entertainment was ok but nothing to shout home about, we saw a few shows but enjoyed a peaceful relaxing drink in the Lobby Bar where we were entertained by Paul the Singing Barman, he was fantastic....Simon Cowel sign him up...!!!

We did a few excursions, starting with Dunn's River Falls where we arrived at the Fall's on a Catamaran. Also we went to Y S Falls which was more peaceful and a great experience to get into the freezing cold water, Other excursions we did were to Black River to see The Crocodiles, we also went Rafting on The Martha Brae River which was totally relaxing and our final excursion was to Rick's Cafe to see the Cliff Diver's... these Guys are totally mad but were great fun to watch. We saw some beautiful Sunsets while we were in Jamaica.

As i have now qualifyed as an Open Water Diver i did 4 Dive's over our 2 week stay and found the Staff at Scubacaribe to be a fantastic group of people. I did all my Dive's with Kirk and Seymour also came along with 2 great American guys Eric and Rory. We saw Shark's, Sting Ray's, Puffa Fish, Flying Grenade's, massive Lion Fish, a Sunken Aircraft, Huge Crab's Turtle's and many more Fish.

The Beach was clean and tidy and we did have the Sellers trying to sell Cigar's, Cigarettes, Tee Shirts, Guanja ( Weed ) excursions. The Jet Ski boys were a pain and everytime the Police appeared in Boat they would disappear rather quickly.

Finally we think the Riu Negril has let down the Riu chain and is an embarrisment. We did enjoy our Holiday apart from the yobs and Jamaica is a nice Island to visit. We made some new friends while we stayed there, hello to Christine and David, Hayley and Wayne, Jenny and Phil, and Debbie and Mick, also the guys from Scubacaribe Kirk, Myron ( Mr Cococ Loco ) Aneisha and Seymour, and not forgetting Elvis in Reception on the night shift.

5  Thank SnorkelQueen7

Reviewed 23 May 2010

My significant other and I stayed from May 8th until May 15th. We came to Jamaica to take our minds off of work and home and this resort made that very easy to accomplish! Upon arrival someone greeted us to take our bags and gave us a delicious cocktail!

We immediately loved our room. Our refrigerator was thoroughly stocked every other day. We left housekeeping extra money and a note to refill the ice and it was done 4/5 times that it was requested. Our pillows were acceptable and there was never a shortage of towels or washcloths. The only negatives were the very small bugs that came out of the flowers used to decorate the room and the power going out at least once per day. Our room had a fantastic view from the balcony. We enjoyed watching the storm coming in over the ocean on the one day that it rained. We also had no problems with noise. It certainly wasn't busy, but we didn't hear a peep from anyone in the hallways.

Not being early risers, we did not get an opportunity to eat at any of the ala carte restaurants. On the nights we didn't venture to other places in Negril, we ate at the buffet and were never disappointed. I especially enjoyed the breakfasts. It was also a good time when they would have a "beach party"and serve lunch on the beach.

Loved the beach, hated the pests! During the day it was the men lurking like sharks in their jet skis or approaching you on land asking to purchase anything from a boat ride to cocaine. If you go out on the beach during/after sunset, please make sure to use insect repellent as the bugs are pretty horrible and left sizable welts on my legs! After one day the bartenders know your name and what you like to drink. Kirk Patrick was my favorite! The swimming was a tad slimy in the area directly across from the beach bar, however, we did get some fantastic snorkeling videos.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay here. It was low key. Don't come here if you are expecting extravagant, but it is a very nice resort. Their staff was enjoyable and accommodating to any request that we had.

Reviewed 21 May 2010

My wife and I just returned last night from the Riu Club Hotel in Negril. We were there from May 13-20 for a week of vacation. I had my reservations and doubts after reading the reviews before we went, but found out that they were wrong in their writings about this hotel. It is an all-inclusive just like many of the resorts in Jamaica. We had a great time just lounging by the really large pool area and swim up bar. The place was very neat and organized and clean. Our room was large and it was very good. The food was good especially the jerk chicken hut on the beach. We are not beach people so we stuck it out by the pool and met many Europeans and had a blast with them. The staff was wonderful and met all of our needs on time and promptly. After the fourth day, the food like all of the resorts in Jamaica and we have stayed in three of them now gets a little monotonous, but that is a personal thing and does not mean to imply that anything was wrong. The entertainment at night was wonderful and was the best of any resort that we have stayed at before now. Each night was different and was unusual and very entertaining. We would reccomend this resort to our friends. The only bad part is that it is 1 hour and 45 minutes from Montego Bay, but so is every resort in Negril. So my advice is to go and have a great time at the Riu. Have a good trip if you go and safe travels.

1  Thank clynchGreenvilleSC
Reviewed 20 May 2010

The resort is very beautiful. The rooms are gorgeous, spacious and very clean. The buffets are outstanding. My only Big complaint is the biting insects. I was chewed up every day and have welts all over my body from being out on the beach. I ended up staying by the pool most of the time because I got bit much less there than on the beach. I also must mention that the pool bar has a very bad odor around it. Most of the hotel staff was pretty friendly, but I have to say that the staff was much friendlier in the Montego Bay area resorts that I have stayed in rather than in Riu Negril. I had a great time, but will not be back to Riu Negril because of the biting insects.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2010

My friend and I went on girlie 2 week holiday to this resort last May just to chill out and relax. We had both suffered bereavements and wanted to be away from it all. We left our husbands at home.

Either this resort has gone right downhill in the last 12 months or we are extremely easy to please. We paid £900 each including upgrade on plane to premier seating with Thomson. We both are late 50's and enjoyed a very relaxing holiday with no complaints. Rooms are a decent size with loads of hanging space, asked for more hangers upon arrival and received 20 within 10 minutes. Only problem we had was getting soft drinks for the fridge - for some reason they kept mising us out and had to keep asking for soft drinks.

The food was great. We love our bacon & eggs for breakfast and this was plentful. The steak speciality restaurant was fabulous. Even enjoyed the buffet in the evenings.

The cocktails were fabulous and we went through the whole list. Bar staff in lobby lounge were lovely.

I suppose it depends on your expectations but we didn't expect it to be 5 star UK standard, so we weren't disappointed.

The only thing I didn't like was the locals thinking they were gods gift to women and wanting us to buy them for "you know what" for a negotiable amount. I gave one of them a dollar and told him to buy a deodorant.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Postmistress
Reviewed 19 May 2010

The staff was extremely rude we felt like we bothered them the entire time from check in to check out. The food at this resort was terriable it all looked like it had been left out for hours and at one of the restaurants flys were hanging out on the food. We never once got to eat at the nice restaurants at the resort every mourning when we tried to make a reservation we were told it was booked. The beach front at this resort was dirty definately not the white sandy beach. Also everytime you walked on the beach you were constantly offered drugs. Which was very annoying after awhile.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jillgarcia
Reviewed 19 May 2010

This was my first trip to Jamaica and i have to say this hotel is a not 5 star at all - its possible its only 2-3 star in my opinion..

Quick summary- I will not be going back to this hotel - the main bug bear for me was the reception staff customer service - which is an embarrassment to the hotel. Every single one of them requires re-training. The food albeit varied and plentiful, raised question marks with regards to quality and hygiene. Plenty avaliable to drink although dont expect to be treated the same by all barstaff. Rooms appeared clean although dont be suprised if you experience inexplicable bites. Entertainment was ok but on longstays repetive - the entertainment staff were friendly and hardworking. Security may also be an issue as during my stay a couple were robbed on their wedding day - mirroring similar events i have read in previous posts - suggesting an organised scam. I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE...

More detailed explanation:

Staff: The reception staff were the most rude, ignorant unconscientious bunch of charlatans i have ever had the mispleasure of dealing with. On one occasion, over a 48 hour period i had to call reception 3 times, and spoke to 3 seperate people to get a noisy, broken toilet that wouldn't flush repaired. Eventually, i had to physically go to reception and speak to a rather rude receptionist (Patricia) who made it clear that 48 hours was a perfectly acceptable period of time to wait for this type of repair. Unsurprisingly the problem was resolved within an hour as soon as i made it clear i wanted to speak to the Manager unless this was resolved promptly.

Food - Good variety of local cuisine - and more generalist options - HOWEVER on more than one occasion i did find mouldy bread products. Only 2 'Ala Carte' restaurants both of which required reservation which involved joining a queue before 8am - The main dining area staff were very curteous and well-mannered.

Bars - staffing was mixed - some staff were very friendly - others down right ignorant. Plenty of beverage choices though - didnt tend to have to wait to long to get served either.

Rooms - On the surface, hygiene in the rooms seemed okay - HOWEVER i did suffer from a number of inexplicable bites - which i can only assume originated from the bedding. We were also given a room with two single beds - not the double we requested. The T'V remote was consistently on the blink with loss of channels on numerous occasions. The mini bar was kept well stocked although there was no room service.

Beach and Pool - Plenty of loungers avaliable, HOWEVER not enough umbrellas. Swimming pools were fine.

Entertainment - Evening shows were varied - although if you stay for more than a week - expect to see a few repeat performances. Plenty of Morning/Afternoon entertainment - although dont expect too much peace and quiet. The entertainment staff were very friendly and extremely hard working.

Security: Not confident at all. In our induction meeting our rep informed us that nothing was safe and that anything valuable, from electronics down to aftershave should be locked up. We were also forced to sign a disclaimer as part of the check-in process absolving the hotel of any responsibility, were anything to be stolen not locked in the safe. As a result my confidence in the security was non-existent hence, i kept everything that would not fit in the safe locked in my case (including all my clothes). Does not make for a comfortable stay. A couple were also robbed on their wedding day mirroring similar incidents in other reviews. This clearly suggest some sort of inside scam.

1  Thank AuntieElsie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!