“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!”
Review of Villa La Cage

Villa La Cage
Ranked #77 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

First of all, this place is filthy and run down... the pool is dirty and the water was green. While the staff appeared to be pleasant, the place was a disaster... Also, the night 'security guard' couldn't protect you from a fly if needs be...
The place is a regular spot for promiscuous locals who seem to pay for an hour or two, then leave.. and this goes on for the entire day/night.... I could hear them from my room sometimes, and so could my business partner... which we both found annoying....

I did not dine there because the same lady who does housekeeping, laundry, and reception, is the same person who prepares these meals... (I also had a glance at the kitchen and it was a disaster, like the overall place)...

The price is cheap, but that doesn't mean it should be uncomfortable... the towels had a distinct odor and the shower was moldy (good thing I had packed towels)...

After 3 nights, the place became unbearable and we checked out and found a hotel up the beach which turned out great...

Mr. Bell, the owner, should consider reinvesting in this place because it has potential, and charge accordingly.....

Room Tip: If you must stay, choose a room closer to the entrance (upstairs), and make sure you get a cab drive...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Drea954

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Staff are very friendly and accomodating. Mr. Bell is very amiable and willing to work with you, to the best of his ability. We moved on, after 2 nights, because we wanted to be closer to the beach (and closer for our relatives to pick us up when we were getting together with them), and his son Robert gave us a ride to Norman Manley Blvd, at no cost. Glad we stayed here, because we probably would not have experienced the West End otherwise. Thanks, VLC.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 2CatFromVA
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

My experience at this villa was with a friendly staff thats always attentive, good clean atmosphere and food is just first class and tasty. The owner was so helpful and advisable in letting my group know where are some of the best places to visit and sight see. This definitely a place for me to return on my future trips.
One important thing I liked about this place is the presents of security
For your safety and each room is equipped with a safe for all your valuables.

Stayed December 2013
Monza, Italy
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Filty and old. There was no water. One word: SHACK. No good surronding area. I couldn't belive to my eyes when I arrived there. It's a cheap accomodation but you get what you paid for. Spend something more but go somewhere else, close to the beach.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank MilliGi

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I spent a little under a week at Villa La Cage. It is a fine place to stay. Clean and secure. The owner Mr Bell is a gentleman who will ensure that you have an enjoyable stay. The location on the West End is great for getting around. The price is very reasonable. All round a lovely spot indeed.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Rory H
Boston
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We returned again this year to the Villa la Cage, Negril, Jamaica for our 6 week Winter Getaway. Most of the rooms can be air conditioned.
. The proprietor is Mr Arreton Bell, the Head Housekeeper/ Day Manager, Janet Brown and the Chef is Pauline. There are around 26 rooms, 4 with a small kitchen. There is also a restaurant and large pool. All of the staff including the 24 hour security people and grounds men are very friendly and ready to assist you in any way they can. Security handles late night check ins as well as patrolling the grounds. Janet or Pauline will do your laundry but a reasonable tip should be given. Janet makes sure the day to day operation of the Villa runs smoothly and both her and Pauline are very nice young women. Pauline will cook a delicious meal of your choice; just give her a few hours notice if you want something special so she can procure the ingredients.
Mr Bell is a very social gentleman and frequently takes the guests on errands or to the beach. He even took our group of three out to a Jerk Pork lunch at Ragabones. He will chat it up with the guests and keep you laughing and informed on the coming and goings in the Negril area.
There are a variety of rstaurants nearby that cater to foreign guests as well as serving authentic Jamaican cuisine. My favorite is a restaurant called the The Swordfish which has a variety of Jamaican and American/Canadian cuisine. Other restaurants close to the Villa are Peewees, Bently' Crab House, Mi Yard, Chicken Lavish, Jenny's
(authentic Jamaican cuisine), numerous small restaurants, jerk carts, and loads of rum bars. The Rockhouse, Xtabi and The Blue Cave Castle offer superberb high end cuisine. My wife, I and and old friend had a fantastic meal of a variety of seafood dishes for her annual Birthday Party in Jamaica at The Blue Cave Castle cooked by Chef Teddy.. The Swordfish Bar and Grill provided a delicious and huge carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. A young lady by the name of Marsha (aka Ann Marie) owns and operates a hair salon that caters to men and women as well as locals and tourists. She is excellent and will also keep you entertained. Nearby is Pams Fruit, Vegetable and Craft shop that has been there for 26 years.

Room Tip: The cement rooms will keep you cooler than the wooden structurs.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank dael27
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 23 February 2013

A few years back, I spent almost one month with Mr Bell and his staff. I was a single lobster fisherman from maine, that had just gone thru a divorce. I made many friends while in Jamaica, return as often as possible, and still keep contact with most. Mr Bell introduced me to many people, helped me with local bank account setup, hardware stores mgrs . I was gone for many hours each day, sometimes sev. days, helping build a home. I never locked my room, never lost anything, Im not saying something can not happen anytime any where, but character assanation of Mr. Bell is just plain FALSE. La Cage is a friendly inexpensive, hotel that offers true jamaician hospitality....right down to the housekeepers. I have never written a review of any kind, was dreaming of a return trip to negril, and saw the bad review on Mr, Bell and his place, and could not stand it!!! La Cage is not the Hilton, but buck for buck unbeatable. When the price of lobsters returns to normal I will be back, until then God bless you Mr. Bell and your staff

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo