See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 April 2016 via mobile

Pictures are from 1980 s This place is run down , dead animals , ants all over every room , garbage in swimming pool , holes in floors , no water for tub toilets sink ... Looks like a garbage truck blew up all over .. Prostitutes and drug dealers right outside .... And so much more .. This place is beyond terrible .. Deserves negative 10 rating ... Disgusting place .. Stay clear of this place ... No matter how cheap ... Still arguing for my money back ... Jamaica is a terrible place period .. If u stay on the resort sure it's good , but u step off resort everyone wants every cent from your pocket , every 5 feet they want you to buy pot - cocaine - meth- or want u to go into thier shack , if u don't buy thier stuff they call you racist and tell you go back to your country ... Just my experience people .... All I wanted was to rest and relax I got non ....

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank 1bigidea
Reviewed 23 March 2016 via mobile

The owner was very rude and wanted to charge extra for all of the things my prepaid Hotwire reservation said were included. They wanted me to pay extra for the AC and to use the in room safe and they require you to pay for the key. The place was falling apart, very dirty and unsafe. The shower head had fallen off and there was just an open pipe. The curtains of the window were see through and the window was right on an open hallway. I tried to adjust the curtains and they fell off the wall. The ceiling fan was on a timer and made ridiculous noises.

The place was dirty and dark. There was a bad smell in the room and hallway. I have stayed in budget accommodations all over the world, but could not stay here. I had to leave as I was uncomfortable with the location and the owner.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
5  Thank mrledebur
Reviewed 17 February 2016

The MOST reasonable prices and BEST Hospitality in all of Negril hands down.

This is my email to Arreton, the owner of Villa La Cage:

Hi Mr. Bell ,
This is your friend Lisa. I am back in the States and I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye but I just wanted to sincerely Thank you for everything during my first visit to Negril, Jamaica. I had such a great time and a wonderful experience in your beautiful town and I know that was due to your hospitality and help. From everything from the service, knowledge and hospitality you provided to the wonderful meal and coffee’s I would get in the morning (I miss those already) I honestly couldn’t have had a better experience thanks to you, your wife and your staff. Everyone was right about you Mr. Bell, you are good people and you made me feel welcome and taken care of right from Day one when you picked me up in the rain from the Bus station. You go above and beyond and it is GREATLY appreciated. I will return in August for Dream Weekend and will make my reservation now with your Villa because I was so pleased. Thank you again for everything and I will be sure to go on Trip Advisor and let everyone know what a wonderful experience I had thanks to you. If there is any other site I can give a write up on for you, please let me know. Thank you again for EVERYTHING! I miss it there already! Take Care.
Lisa

Honestly, This place is GREAT for those who want to experience one of the most beautiful places in the world but are on a budget. You wont find cheaper prices with better hospitality in all of Negril. You can tell Mr. Bell is a family oriented man and he treats his guests as such. He picked me up from the Bus station from Mo Bay in the pouring rain late at night and didn't charge me. Cab Drivers were trying to overcharge me 12 US dollars for a 5 minute ride that cost $1.50 to locals. I didn't have to worry about that as Mr. Bell was so nice and drove me to the Beach the next morning and made sure he brought me to a nice spot on the beach. He is so laid back, and friendly it is just the type of place you want to come to when you don't know anything about the town for the first time. He knows everyone in Negril and is well loved and respected and I see why. I looked forward to the delicious coffee with sugar and sweet milk every morning which the amazing staff always got for me. One of the best tasting meals I had in Negril was from Villa la cage. They made me a GREAT authentic dinner of Curry Chicken, Rice, Potatoes and Salad for $500 Jamaican dollars which is less than 5 bucks in the U.S. I highly suggest eating here during your stay. I just truly want to thank Mr. Bell for my AMAZING experience. I DEF will be back for ATI weekend. Many Thanks! Much Love and Respect! Your friend, Lisa.

Stayed: February 2016
1  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed 13 July 2015

The good:
The Owner is very accommodating, and helpful
He is a sort of a big-shot in the neighborhood so it came in very handy navigating the area (just like anywhere else in Jamaica if you are an outsider / tourist)
The staff is very nice and the service was great.
Budget friendly
Breakfast was pretty good (I only tried Jamaican food).
The staff is always around so it is a relatively secure area.
The place is ideally located if you have a scooter
there are plenty of route taxis during the day

The average:
The rooms are pretty old
Being thatched, the rooms can get pretty hot during the day but there is not much to complain here as you will (or should) not be staying-in during the day anyway.
Any major attraction from here is at least a mile or two - so not short walk.
showers do not have enough pressure/water sometimes but again, it did not bother me as much as i was prepared for it.

The Verdict - If you are a budget traveler, then this place is worth staying at. Slightly lower your expectations and you will not be disappointed. The minor inconveniences will be more than made up by the friendly attitude and great service from the hotel staff.

If you are a diva/divo then this is not a place for you.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs may be cooler where as upstairs might be safer, IMO
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2015

We stayed at Villa La Cage for a romantic get away and it met all of our needs. I requested a fridge for the 11 day stay and it was in my room. The staff was fantastic and it was a pleasant experience

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple