“Absolutely Loved It!!!”
Review of Chippewa Village

Chippewa Village
Ranked #27 of 51 Speciality Lodging in Negril
Reviewed 5 October 2007

I just returned from my way too short trip to negril,jamaica and i couldn't wait to write this review. Especially i want to thank JOHN, the owner who took such good care of me. he is one of the nicest people i ever met. i felt so comfortable there, that i left heavy hearted this morning.

this goes out to all the people who can't live without luxury: DO NOT GO! neither to John's great place, not even to the wonderful country of jamaica period! but if you are like me, who love to get in touch with the basics in life, your innerself, nature etc....you should not miss out on this one.

my one-bed cottage was just perfect! it was clean, the bed so comfortable that i slept like a baby, and it had all i need, especially A/C after a hot day at the beach, which is just 1 minute across the street! i didnt have enough time to check out the great pool in the backyard, but will do so, when i go back in january!!the style of the cottage is native american and even thou very unusual for jamaica, its such a great idea and so CUTE (excuse my girly-slang)

i did not see any rats! and i can't believe the stupidity of some people...RATS!?!? i bet each and everyone that there are more rats for example in NEW YORK CITY than all over jamaica! and the next time you travel to FLORIDA, start counting roaches!! get a grip on life!! and if you do and desire some tranquility .....go and visit John at CHIPPEWA VILLAGE!!

thanks again for everything, John! i WILL be back, sooner than you think!

I LOVE JAMAICA!!!

NICI

Stayed: October 2007

Reviewed 22 July 2007

I made the mistake of calling the hotel's listed number. I got recording telling me to call a local cellular number. When I called, I got an extremely rude woman on the phone who proceeded to quickly hang up the phone on me, telling me to "call back at a better time." I have never experienced that kind of appalling rudeness on a hotel reservations line before!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank sekine
Reviewed 31 May 2007

Went to Negril looking for an authentic Jamaican hotel that was quiet and comfortable. First of all Chippewa is quite unusual as the architecture is Native American in the middle of Jamaica. There is a very European bar area with comfortable tented lounges which were nice to just chill and enjoy the lush environment. The back apartments are private and quiet, with an amazing view of the morass and mountains. The owner makes a great cup of coffee and bakes incredible yummy treats, including pizza. Overall it was quite a pleasurable experience, nice to be across from the beach action and staying at a beautiful retreat in a resort town.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 6 May 2007

My wife and I just got back from Jamaica. We stayed at Chippewa Village 4/24 - 5/2. We absolutly loved the place. This is our 2nd time. The price is great, the place was nice and clean. John the owner treated us great, and Sydney was a great driver.
We had our own private pool that backs up to the great morass.
We love the rustic charm and the seclusion.
When I had an injury on the beach,( a stingray barb in my foot) John had his doctor friend right there for help.
We would recomend this place to any one. We will be back next year.
Pete & Cherry Pennsylvania USA

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2007

Is Chippewa Village the perfect place in Negril? Maybe, it depends on what you want. I have travel to Negril 9 out of the last 10 years. I have spent 275 a night on the cliffs at one of the premier resorts and was disappointed with the road noise, I have stayed at some of the best the beach has to offer and was disappointed with the late night bands noise while I try to sleep. It’s all in what you’re looking for. My experience is that the Chippewa Village is one of the quietest places in Negril, right across the road from the beach but far enough away to filter the noise. The resort that John has built is like nothing I have seen in Negril, the rustic Native American theme is seen in all of the detailed workmanship. The pool is cool and refreshing the rooms clean and comfortable.
Does the Chippewa Village have marble floors and mirrored walls? No, if you want that try Cancun. Every year I say that I’ll try some place new, every year I’m planning my trip to Negril. I’m counting the days until I meet up again with John and his friendly staff at the Chippewa.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 13 February 2007

The owner, John is an ex-California native as stated by previous reviewers. however rats (never saw one) and broken hot tub aside, one must have a better understanding of Jamaica to appreciate this location.

I have been to Negril on four occasion, only one of which was at the Chippewa, and the next time I go, my wife and I will surely stay there again.

This location is NOT a touristy place on the beach proper, it is across the road from the beach, which makes it about $100 a night less than beachfront resorts. (About $50 a night US for a couple).

Negril is a place where one should not plan on staying in their room, or even on a secured property. If you want that expereince, go to Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. A room is for the sole purpose of sleeping, showering, and getting out of the sun for a few hours if need be. The ower is NOT by any means a slumlord (I have seen that sort of place in Jamacia, and believe me, the Chippewa is above average for non resort property.)

The only complaints I have are that the bed is incredibly firm, and can cause minor backaches, and the hot tub is in a state of perpetual repair (imagine the hardship of trying to get the proper fittings and mechanics for a westernized hot tub in what is a borderline 3rd world country, and you will understand) However there is a very clean pool on the property, included continental breakfast, and the view of the morass at sunrise is spectacular, and is unrivaled by many other locales in Jamaica.

This is not a place to bring an inexperienced family, however, I went there on my honeymoon with my wife, who was a Jamaican newbie on the trip, and we look forward to returning.

My parents are currently there for their 5th stay (15th or so for both of them in Negril) and I only found this site by trying to do a search to contact the hotel to pass on word that we were under a foot of snow here in Ohio.

Tourists, welcome, and again, if you want a resort, please stay in the US, and don't insult the Jamaican people.

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank eyeshoot
Reviewed 12 January 2007

I feel bad after reading the latest post. Had I done a review immediately afterward my stay ,perhaps I could have saved people the agony. I had a very similiar experience with the emails, phone ect. Upon arrival I stayed in the back building, (although no one other guests were there) and mind you I'm a single woman he put me in the back next to the Morass. The roof to the alledge sauna was destroyed by hurricane Ivan I was told, the pool gross and my room was taken over by HUGE RATS. The owner a Cali native would be a called a SLUM LORD in America and no doubt shut down by the Board of Health. I left after one night with full refund. The pictures on website are totally deceiving. Do yourself a favor and find one of the many other clean, rat free hotels in Negril.

• Stayed: January 2005, travelled solo