“The only place I'll ever stay in Jamaica”
Review of Chippewa Village

Chippewa Village
Ranked #27 of 51 Speciality Lodging in Negril
Reviewed 20 March 2008

I absolutely loved it here. It was so beautiful and serene. We were right across the road from the beach but didn't have to deal with all the spring breakers that you find yourself surrounded by at the bigger hotels. The owner, John, was so kind and made sure we had everything we needed. He offered to let us use the outdoor grill built into a granite counter by the pool, so we headed into town and grabbed some meat from the butcher. It allowed us to experience a side of Jamaica that you don't usually see as a tourist.

I read in someone else's review that the pool was dirty - it was not, there were maybe three leaves that had drifted in on the breeze which we plucked out. Also, reports of bedbugs are false, I have seen bedbugs (I live in Brooklyn, the bedbug capital of the world, so it's the first thing I check for) and this place had none. I feel such loyalty to the Chippewa after only a few nights there that I had to refute these claims. Perhaps the person who made them is a bit uptight - Chippewa is a fun loving, bohemian paradise. If you are ready to relax and have fun, you will have the best time of your life here.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 March 2008

I can't say enough good things about this spot. The owner was extremely helpful and friendly. He gave us all sorts of extras to help us in our stay and even made us a cake! Anyways, if you are going to Negril, make sure to check out this place and take a look at one of the suites. Its cheap, rustic, beautiful, and very romantic. I stayed there with a couple of friends and it was instrumental in creating one of the best vacations of my life. Make sure to check out the pool and the morass during the daytime. Its beautiful!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2008

I don't understand how anyone could rave about this place. Contrary to what they advertise - breakfast is not included, there are no spa facilities, can't see the bottom of the pool it's so dirty - the place is rundown. It's for sale so I think the owner is just biding his time till it sells. Beware of the vicious dog tied up outside the office and don't sleep in the beds unless you want to get covered in bedbug bites. On the positive side, the location is good, the roof doesn't leak and you do have a lot of privacy - however, we will never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2008

We just returned from 15 days in Chippewa village,Negril,Jamaica. My partner had been there several times and knew it was the best place for us-me as the first time there. i have allways wanted to go to Jamaica. It was all i expected and more! And at Chippewa -the owner and employees are friendly and efficient! the grounds are gorgeous. i am not well and many days i stayed on the grounds,fronted by the beach road, backed by the great Marass and fully safe,comfortable and Jamacan.The indian decor cottages are lovely, safe, roomy and seperate.,but more than that- a homeaway from home. thanks John! You all are family! love u and see u asap! Karen N Ray

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2008

This is the second time I have stayed at Chippewa Village, which should initially show how much I loved it.

It is not like any other resort you will find in Negril. Although it is directly across from the famous seven mile beach, and walking distance from all of the major tourist attractions, you will not find another place as peaceful as Chippewa. Nestled against the marsh, the cabins are simple, yet accomodating, making you feel as if you are sleeping under the stars. The cabins are very clean and well kept. If you are a mutliple visitor to Negril, you may very well know how beautiful the sunsets are over the water. BUt, have you ever had the chance to see the sunrise? At Chippewa you will have this opportunity, as the sun reflects its irradescent rays over the vast marsh that borders the property.

Jon is very helpful when it comes to making your stay welcoming and enjoyable. A "local" of the island, he is willing to offer advice and suggestions concerning the islands attractions. But, more importantly, he often welcomes you with dinner and an opportunity to build relationships with other visitors and locals over good wine.

I would recommend this resort for anyone who needs to get away from their chaotic lives and enter a place of serene solitude, surrounded by nightlife and of course, the white beaches and beautiful sunsets.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2008

Just returned from a fantastic holiday made even the more memorable by our stay at Chippewa.

John, the owner, is the most hospitable and generous host I have ever met. We arrived late at night, tired and hungry, having missed all the restaurants, and John stayed up to make us crepes and feed us his amazing homemade chocolate cake, yum!

The setting is beautiful. Chippewa backs out onto the Great Morass and John has constructed a platform in which you can look out over the huge marsh land and the Negril hills. The beach is only a minutes walk away but there is a pool. He has built the place with such love, care and attention to detail; a talent that extends into the beautiful handmade leather boots and shoes he makes.

We stayed in the studio and the use of space was great and perfect for us as we were traveling with a child. There was a main double bed and a further double bed that folded down from the wall (but was equally comfortable), a kitchen, bathroom (with hot water), tv and large terrace with a sofa, table and chairs.

We had such a wonderful time and got to meet some lovely people when John threw a dinner party one evening for his friends and guests (at no charge).

The atmosphere was very relaxing and friendly and it is the only place we would consider staying upon our return to Negril.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2007

As a seasoned traveler to Negril, 9 trips in 12 yrs, I know exactly what I want in terms of accommodations. Chippewa is my home away from home. It offers comfortable accommodations right across from the beach, but set far enough back that it boasts a quiet, peaceful atmosphere. John is a gracious host. Anything you need, he will provide you with. I had a nice long soak in the hot tub 1 night, which framed the view of the glimmery full moon over the morass. Sunrise over the morass is even more spectacular. My only complaint is that I could not stay longer.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family