“Returning guest”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wakefield, Rhode Island
“Returning guest”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This year was my 20th year visiting jamaica. My father purchased a time share at Poinciana (now Azul Sensatori) in the late 70s. Negril is home to me, ever since I was 6 months old. Through the years ownership has changed multiple times. I loved the management under Beaches Sandy Bay ownership because of the staff. The staff is what will make or break your jamaica experience. Of course the food and scenery was beautiful as well, but that beautiful seven mile beach stays the same no matter the management changes.

Now as for the new ownership, I was a little shell shocked to see such vast renovations. They are beautiful but they are very white and monochromatic. The architecture is modern and reminds me of mexican resorts. Im so sad, I miss all the classic bright colors and landscaping. I also felt more of a distance from the staff. NOT the entertainment staff though, as always Kevan, O'ryan, Stashane, Shelly, Nicole... etc. were amazing and i'm so thankful they are there. But the wait staff used to be such close friends of mine for years, but now they cant talk as much and I felt that when they did speak to me it was as though they were reading from a script. But, over all it was a fabulous trip and the property is much more luxurious. I would recommend Azul to my friends!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Caroline P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Polish first
wisconsin
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Lovely 8 day 7 nite stay. Our daughter who is 5 months pregnant, was treated like a queen throughout our whole stay. We were upgraded to a honeymoon suite which would have been tough on my knees so we let the kids have that and it was gorgeous. We had a swim up suite, room smaller, but great access to pool and beautiful view of the sea.
Even though during our stay there was only 30 to 35 guests, the staff goes above and beyond to make our stay memorable. They are so entertaining and delightful and not overbearing!
Even though the resort is not completed we would return with no hesitation. Once this resort is completed it will be the BEST on 7 mile beach.
A shout out to the following staff from all of us, for making our vacation incredible!
..Lensworth, Claudia, for making the breakfast an lunch the best!
..Joseph, Alee, Wayde, Clion,Cheryl are the greatest bartenders, for keeping your glass full and entertaining you. Thanks for making our daughter her favorite banana shakes!
Activity staff- Shellyann(thanks for teaching Rick dominos) an for treating us so special. ORyan,Stachey, thanks for teaching Rick cards, an Claudia for our morning walk enjoyable and beach show was awesome.
Lastly, how can we forget our 3 amigos, who brought a great mixture of Jamaica and Jamaican fun, combined with the Karisma gourment inclusive philosophy. Markon, Dameon Martin, an Fabian.
Thanks all!!!! Can't wait to see you all again!!!!

Room Tip: honeymoon suite 3rd floor great balcony and view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank riskyrick
Beausejour, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in February 2014, was amazing!! The resort was not fully complete, but that did not affect us at all. Good was great and staff was SO good, thanks Simone, Lensworth, Claudia, Kevan, Marian and everyone! Would go back any time and would recommend to anyone!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Punky1971
New York
Reviewed 14 February 2014

With less than 2 days left to go of our first Jamaica experience, I decided to write now as I will never get to it at home.

To start off, we only came to Jamaica because we have heard amazing things about Karisma Hotels and specifically the Azul family friendly chain. We are from New York and are familiar with good food and as we are traveling with small children we were willing to pay a premium for "Gourmet Inclusive". We had a mixup with our reservations and Nicola was super accommodating and responsive and got everything straightened out, our backup would have been Iberostar. She also helped us arrange ground transportation which wasn't cheap, but got us to the hotel quickly and well and came equipped with car seats.

1. Rooms

At first we were given rooms in the family section and they were okay but they smelled of fresh paint and as the windows don't open, it was a bit intoxicating to sleep there. The closet space is minimal and not very functional. The large TVs are great but the picture is not clear. Also was disappointed not to be able to catch any Olympic coverage. Wi-Fi which cost $50 for the week didn't work in the room. We were then upgraded to the swim-up suites, which are nicer and bigger and come with a king size bed and a larger bathroom. The showers have no doors and water goes everywhere. We were told that this is a designer touch, but to us it just seems unfinished and a lot of extra work for the cleaning staff.

Also, having a closet in the bathroom seems a bit strange and makes clothes soggy from the shower, so we pretty much lived out of the suitcases. The rooms are modern and well lit with a nice safe and minibar. The iPod dock is a nice touch but for a 2014 upgraded property the should have went with the 5 adapter and not 4.

2. Resort

The beach, pools and restaurants all look great. Despite the endless construction, the people walking into your room while you nap, the constant hammering and painting, the resort and furnishings look lovely. The pools are nice, the beach is well taken care of and the property is super clean. The kids club is also very nice, although small. It would be nice to add a few more shady areas or lounges on the beach, but overall no complaints there.

3. Staff

The staff is amazing!!!! Everyone is super friendly and always in a good mood. All is their pleasure. The service is very personal and it was a nice touch! The staff knows our names, plays with our kids and all around fantastic. I am not sure if they will be able to keep the service as personal once they are at full capacity, but it's a super nice touch!

4. Food

This is by far the most disappointing of our experience at Azul. There's absolutely nothing gourmet about the food. While some dishes have been extremely tasty, they haven't been consistent and the choices have been limited. By day 3, we were bored with the food. There was no exotic or tropical fruit, no berries and no real salads, just very limited salad bars. Fish and chicken were always the same and with three restaurants and the same menu the choices got old quick. Food is very fresh and a little on the salty side but it's by no means gourmet. A lot of items on the menus were not available and neither were simple things like mint for mojitos (31 mojo to flavors advertised on the website and the selling point for my husband). Again, we may be picky New Yorkers but we have been to other resorts in the Caribbean where the food variety and quality was top notch and given that the Azul brand boasts a gourmet all inclusive tag, we were expecting to be blown away by the food in terms of both quality and variety.

This brings me to my last point...

5. Value

We were debating between Mexico and Jamaica and decided to try this new resort based on the Azul reputation. We paid top dollar for this vacation as we did for a prior vacation to Mexico and we don't feel that the overall expectations that we had for this resort were met. It's a great resort in an amazing location and they are definitely trying to improve and perhaps they will get there, but this resort is by no means a 5 star resort. I understand that construction must take place in the afternoon while most people are at the beach, but with two toddlers in the whole resort and no "do not disturb signs" people should not be sawing or hammering or walking inside your room while you're napping. The fire alarm should also not be going off at 4 am because they are fumigating something. We spoke to many guests here and all had the same feelings -Trying and trying hard but not quite there yet. I'm not against trying another Azul resort in Mexico, for example, but I'm a lot more hesitant now as it definitely would not be my first choice.

For fear of sounding like a spoiled New Yorker, we really enjoyed our trip, great weather and close proximity to beach. The super friendly and accommodating staff, the new clean rooms and modern decor were all great. However, a 5 star vacation this is not and had we paid for a 4 star I would have been a lot more willing to close my eyes on many of the items mentioned above.

• Stayed February 2014
12 Thank allachkaNY
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
thank you for your detailed review, I truly apppreciate your feedback and as a new resort your comments are invaluable . With the aid of your feedback we will perfect our Gourmet inclusive experience.

Best Regards
Andrew Cumming
Baxter, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Jeff and I stayed in one of the pool side rooms. Staff was absolutely wonderful and so personable. Definitely will go back in the future. We had the opportunity to experience the many tours available. Scuba diving here was a treat-amazing coral reefs and beautiful tropical fish. We checked out a sail boat for the afternoon and sailed to an island nearby to experience the quiet serenity. We meet so many new friends, played volleyball, swam in the three pools available, danced to the nightly entertainment and dined like royalty!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Shelly L
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I had posted a review about this property that tripadvisor chose to remove. The review was based on my experience and was focused primarily on the lost opportunities in the new design and functionality of the property. The staff and management were lovely.

This current review is to highlight the fact that the property was extremely responsive to my previous comments and they indicated an earnest desire to do everything in their power to address the areas I had mentioned.

One has to feel good about management that is so responsive and interested in ensuring that other travelers have a stellar experience, even if it means they will be shifting a few decisions where they can. Hats off to a property that is paying such close attention.

Perhaps my previous review was insufficiently positive or someone flagged it as inappropriate. No worries. It was my honest evaluation. and this one is simply to point out the fact that management seems to be listening.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank john_peters56
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback , we can assure you that we are listening and enjoy hearing about our customer's experiences at the Azul Sensatori Jamaica. It is disappointing that you could only rate our after care service and travel experiences as Average as we truly feel we are pushing the boundaries of vacationing to wow our guests and introduce everyone to a new superior holiday experience , ensuring that they experience a Sensatori Moment

Best Regards
Andrew Cumming
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I spent a week at the sensatori azul in negril. It was amazing. Everything from the food to the staff. The rooms were beautiful. Nicole, o'ryan, stashane, kevan, shellian, alfonso. ..everyone made us feel like family. If you go to the ackee restaurant you have got to have the lobster and crab cakes. They are to die for. We will definitely be going back. It has been my favourite vacation ever.

• Stayed January 2014