“Lovely vacation - staff is resort's best asset”

Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The awesome staff at Azul Sensatori are by far Karima's best asset and the only part of the resort that deserves a 5 star rating at this time. It would be our hope that Azul's management recognizes and appreciates the quality of their staff, as it was they who made our stay a memorable one.

As in other reviews, construction was not an issue at all and definitely did not impact our stay or the essence of this review. It is unfortunate that they lobby area isn't a gathering place or utilized much except for people on the one computer/ using WiFi, which is free here and expensive in your room!! - or for reception, tour bookings or the coffee bar. This resort does have work to do if indeed they are to ever attain a 5 star rating.

Rooms:

Unhappy with the location and swim out room that was first assigned, Dacia had found us another that was much better...thank you Dacia as that was most appreciated. Understanding that they are working with a renovation of an existing infrastructure - kudos for what they have done. However, please note that the rooms are small and somewhat dysfunctional as well as lacking in certain amenities that seasoned travelers of 5 star resorts are used to. The bathroom had no doors on the shower/toilet area, and we are most grateful to Gabriel (maintenance manager from the Mexico properties), who arranged to have these installed just hours after requested. The showers lack anywhere to put your shampoo - etc., other than a small cut out area for the soap to sit. The closet was inside our bathroom and we found the shower doors kept the humidity more inside the shower and less in our closet, as well as water off the bathroom floor. The doors to the closet are huge and not well thought out as it's difficult to get at your clothes from the side that has the shelves which is also impeded by the sink table. There are two shelves and two drawers in this area, however, one of the drawers houses the in room safe. We had no full length mirror, one super skinny towel bar (table underneath sink area for towels which was more of a pain than anything) and the closet rod to hang your clothes on is a long aluminum bar that bowed and fell twice! There are no dressers to unpack your clothes, as I do not like to live for 2 weeks out of a suitcase and those did said there was no room to lay out a suitcase anyways. Table between the bed and patio doors has two sliding shelves on one side and your bar fridge on the other. The comfy chair in front of the patio door encroached on the doorway. Ladies, the bathroom has halogen lighting above the makeup mirror was not good for makeup application. Swim out area of the main floor rooms was wonderful! We loved the half moon lounge / table & chairs under the roof area and the lounges by the pool are awesome. Definitely the way to go if you can. The beds were comfortable and our housekeeper, Marion was the best!!! Thanks Marion for everything, including my 'special gift on the bed'!

Restaurants:

The food, in all restaurants was unquestionably delicious, however far from being gourmet! While we were there, management was already making changes to their menus. The wait staff - outstanding! Honorable mentions to Carole, Simone, Dameon, Neville, Carmeta, and Fabian - for your exceptional service. Thank you all for your warm greetings and hugs - it was a genuine pleasure to meet and chat with all of you!

While being seated in these restaurants, the lighting was so bright and directly overhead, especially around the perimeter of these rooms, that there was absolutely no ambience - you might as well have been sitting at a fast food chain restaurant! Dimmers would work wonders...

Entertainment:

The entertainment area for this resort is very small, outdoors and has no stage/amphitheater. Entertainment staff, O'Ryan and Kevan are a hoot, both with exuberant personalities and we had a so much fun with them! Booked entertainment, with the exception of the SilverBirds Steel Band and a nightclub singer/band, were lacking at best and it was the staff that made entertainment time enjoyable. We didn't partake in any daytime activities.

Bars and Beach Service:

The 7 Mile Bar is outside and used much more frequently earlier in the evening, probably due to a very sweet bartender named Alee, than the Nesta Rasta Lounge upstairs beside the Ackee Restaurant. It's a shame because Alphonso, is the bartender up there and he's terrific! We spent many an evening, just us and him, chatting away before others caught on and the bar turned into the nightclub after 11pm.

The daytime beach bar/beach service was really appreciated. On the beach I would wait for Kedian, as she mixed my drinks perfect to my taste. Shadrique and Christina was wonderful as well, everyone always with a big smile on their beautiful faces.

Beach, Pools and Lifeguards:

The best stretch of beach on that part of 7 Mile - always super cleaned by the lifeguards early and continually each day! Loved the beach beds and the availability of lounges that you can move around on the beach. We loved a spot under a grape tree, as there are not many trees on the beach and no palapas for shade. Lifeguards O'Dane, Richard and Gary are great - honest, caring and very attentive should you not find a lounge, they would find one for you. We had many conversations with them while they constantly had their eyes scanning the beach to keep patrons safe. Way to go guys - you are amazing! The pool to the swim out rooms is much narrower and smaller then we expected, however, very well maintained and because we took a swim out room, we enjoyed using it later in the day once we returned from the beach.

Spa

The spa is not yet open, but they do have a spot on the beach where I got one of the best deep tissue (which I requested) massages from Natasha. She has hands of gold! Every time we travel I use the spa facilities and was somewhat disappointed when I heard that the spa was not going to be open, however, delighted when I was able to have one on the beach. Relaxing listening to the ocean waves - you don't even realize that others on the beach are around you.

All in all, we really did enjoy our time at Azul Sensatori. We love Jamaica and it's people. It's not the first time that we have been travelled to Jamaica and it definitely won't be the last. We already miss the staff that we connected with and the other travelers that we spent time with.

I hope that you found this review to be helpful and informative... HAPPY TRAVELS!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms that are situated closer to the road as you will hear road noises even when you...
18  Thank MCW-MB
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for sharing a detailed review of your stay at the Azul Sensatori Jamaica , I found your feedback to be a very interesting read. I truly appreciate your comments and I can assure this will be used in our quest to perfect our well reowned Gourmet Inclusive Experience, a new way to vacation.

Best Regards

Andrew Cumming

Reviewed 14 March 2014

This resort is amazing and that's knowing that the resort is still only under soft closure and not fully open. We went here knowing it was going to be under construction and let me say that you yes you could see it and briefly hear it there was no impact AT ALL. Like our previous stay at the Prestige Travelers resort this was all top notch, the food, drinks, entertainment, staff it was all amazing. we have never been anywhere with so many people who are down to earth and just looking to have a good time. the beach was spotless nothing like some of the other beaches when you take a walk. They have water activities on the grounds and even if you needed to pay for some of them, the prices were CHEAP!!!!! We will be going back in 2016 to the members resort which will be built right next door. Wayne the agent we met with was awesome and great information for any of the interested guests or the existing members. if you want to go relax enjoy the sun and great weather this is the place to go!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Ryan C
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Spent 2week's from Feb 26 thur March 12th. I'm a Prestige member & I have to say even though the prestige room's and services are not up and ready yet. I still saved 1/2 the price on our room. The hotel is beautiful, and there still not done. The food was excellent and the staff is awesome. First I'd like to give a shout out to the entertainment dept. Oryan, Eshane and Kevin are the heart of the entertainment. They will keep you laughing and entertained everyday. They love their jobs and it show's. Also the life guards have their eyes out for you everyday, making your stay safe and stress free.A shout out to Richard who's been with the hotel for 9 yrs. And Odane, a wonderful, honest caring person. All the staff at the hotel, treat you like family. We were there last yr and we'll be back next year, it is our Jamaica home for 2week's. And not to forget the beautiful 7 mile beach in Nigril, where you can spend everyday at the beach and never see the same thing twice. I diffenitly give the Azul Sensatori a 5 star rating, and their not finish the prestige part yet. Can't wait to return next year, and see my Jamaica family.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank pamelashane57
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed at the Azul Sensatori from Feb. 18-27, 2014. The resort was smaller than expected. However, we did know when we booked that it was a soft opening and that construction was still taking place on the resort.

If you want a small quiet resort then this is the spot for you. Everything was CLEAN and NEW (oh I love a bed that smells clean). We had a swim up room which was lovely. Nicely decorated. Nice bed loungers along the swim up rooms and a nice covered porch area. Personally I like the modern feel of the resort. The closet is in the bathroom which I found odd. However, the bathroom was a good size (with two sinks) and plenty of room for two to move around. The shower did not have a door, but I think perhaps they will put one on as the holes for hinges were there. We had a full length mirror in our room (unlike another reviewer). Staff did mention that they will be putting full length mirrors in all the rooms and that continuous improvements are being made as the construction continues. It was fun to see the improvements during the week we were there (new rugs in the lobby and upper bar area, painting, mirrors being cut to size, porch lights turned on, etc.)

This is a family resort. However, an adult only section is under construction.

Staff are outstanding! Paula, Christine, Vinroy, Shermane, Lenny, Eileen, etc. The staff have been trained to reply with “it’s my pleasure”. Hopefully it was a pleasure for them, because it certainly was a pleasure for us to have such great staff! Thank you to all of you for making our trip so wonderful.

Food was very good. If you are looking for North American “excellent” food then perhaps don’t travel to an all-inclusive resort. As far as resorts go the food was at the top of our list (we travel a few times each year for the last ten years). The selection wasn’t enormous (but neither is the resort). However, there was always plenty to choose from. Even the resort wine was fairly good (again this is comparing to past all-inclusive 5 star resorts). They did offer wine for purchase if you prefer. I personally found the a la carte serving size fine. They did seem small initially, but by the end of the meal we were both full.

The beach was clean, the water is crystal clear, and if you enjoy walking the beach then this is the spot for you. The chairs are in good condition and we did not have a problem finding chairs in the morning.

We did pay a fair bit more for this trip and I believe that with continued improvements this resort will qualify as a five star.

Room Tip: One side note is that you may hear traffic from the road (if you are a light sleeper), but we travel...
3  Thank Fun2008Ontario
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We have been to Mexico Karisma resorts in the past and thought we would try Jamaica. We did enjoy ourselves but they have alot of work to do to live up to the Karisma name. The food was not terrible but NOT gourmet as they advertise. The best thing was the fried calamari Rohan did at the grill. We stayed in the adult only section only find out that there are kids everywhere, even at the swim up bar.....not thrilled about that. Kids are also allowed in all the restaurants, also not good. If you want to go on a family vacation this is the place to go, if you want an adult only section, forget about it. The rooms were not done, some had no shower doors, some no shower walls at all, one couple didn't have a door knob on bathroom and he got stuck. They should finish a room before they charge the big bucks to stay. We are Exotic Travelers members and didn't feel we got our moneys worth, I wish we would have gone to Mexico. We were there 2-27 thru 3-6 and weather was great. The staff was very friendly especially the bar staff. The rooms were never cleaned till after 4 and there were not many people there, I'm not sure how they will handle a full house. Good luck to them, hopefully they get their act together.

3  Thank Cheeseheads2
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Beautiful beach, pool and hotel, excellent service, good (but not great) food. Many activities if you want something to do, though it's not necessary on this beach. Great staff made group activities lots of fun and knew every guest's name. Very secure and safe. Little bit of construction noise. Would definitely go back for relaxation in a serene setting. Smaller boutique-feel hotel, which I like.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Martha W
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My husband and I travelled Feb. 27-Mar 7, 2014. We travel 2-3 times a year, to numerous destinations.
We both agree that overall, we had just a FABULOUS vacation!! We quite liked the decor, it's very crisp and clean looking, with beautiful splashes of turquoise and orange to offset the white which is the primary colour of the resort. I did feel as thought the Jamaican ambience was still captured with the updated colours used. I really liked that everything was new and veryy clean! All staff were very conscious about cleanliness and the grounds were well tended to.
The beach is BEAUTIFUL!! BEST IN THE AREA!! My husband and I are all about the beach, it was crystal clear turquoise water with no seaweed. The sand was beautiful white sand and there was plenty of room on the beach so that you dont feel crowded. And yes, you likely should get to the beach by 8am to put your towels on your chairs, although we didnt make it to the beach until 9am on a few mornings and we were able to get chairs. Once the resort is fully open however, this may be more of a challenge.
The people at the resort were just LOVELY!! That seems to be a common theme on all the reviews, and it's true. Everyone, without exception, did their very best to be friendly, helpful, and ensure you were having a good time. I would love to name every last person who contributed to our stay, however I dont remember them all and I'd run out of rooom! A few mentionables were Dwight (who happily kept me in the red wine!), Rohan (awesome lunch of jerk chicken and Jamaican patties every day!), Enid and NATASHA who did a couples message at the beach which was the BEST message Ive ever had (Natasha!)!!! Simone and Christine who is just so sweet, our server at the beach (started with a K, she was lovely!!), Kevan the hilarious entertainment guy, the singer at the bar who belted out songs from the 70's onward, she was great, we all danced up a storm!!!
Our room was lovely, nothing fancy, but big enough and newly decorated. And yep, it gets a little wet in the bathroom when you shower and yep, the closet is in the bathroom, and noooo there are nooo full length mirrors in the room (seriously? Please fix this!) we were not bothered by this. On two occassions our room had not been cleaned yet when we arrived back at 4pm to siesta, when I brought this to the attention of the maid service, it was cleaned everyday by 10am (THANKYOU!). In my view, rooms should be cleaned by 3pm at the latest, and we were grateful this was taken care of.
The food was all good. Really good, not excellent. The wait staff are really, truly trying their best around service, and clearly, some are doing a better job then others. But we were never forgotten and never had to wait. The constructive criticism I would like to offer is that the portions are TOO SMALL!! Ohh Myy!! I understand the "gourmet" thing, but people need to leave feeling at least satisfyed, if not full when you leave the restaurant. My husband ended up at the buffet to finish eating! And noo, we are not big people! Also, there was not really any higher end seafood to be found on the resort ie crab, lobster, shrimp...this is veryy unfortunate as again, part of the resort's big sell is "gourmet", and in my experience you must offer this kind of cuisine as a choice. Again, everything we had was really good, just not necessarily gourmet.
Room service was offered, and again, they tryed really hard to be quick and efficient, however they didnt always get the order right and the menu was VERY LIMITED. For example, the dinner menu was mainly sandwhiches and a few small salads....I would suggest offering real "dinners" on the dinner menu.
Yes, there was construction, as everyone has mentioned. It did not bother me one bit, my husband felt like it was quite noisy at times, particularly outside the lobby where the grill is and by the one pool. Otherwise, not really an issue at all and couldn't hear it at the beach!
My best advice is that we had a great vacation, truly!!! Yes, they have some work to do, but know this going in, and you'll be fine!!
To Karisma, my best advice is to continue working out your growing pains and the food situation. You will NOT be able to charge the money you are looking to charge for a stay at your resort if these collectively small things are not rectifyed as they will become big things. This is an expensive holiday, and people expect a lot when you pay alot.
ALSO, THANKS to the many FABULOUS people who we met on our vacation that we had SOOO MUCH FUN WITH, wouldn't have been the same without you all!! :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple