“Working hard to get to top spot”

Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is new opening and all staff working hard to be a top notch resort and they will be. Location amazing, beach fabulous, rooms have everything one might need, very comfortable. Do stay here, so much better than run down Sandals and Beaches on either side. Food great, staff so very helpful in all things even with their teething glitches on opening. This is going to be a super place to stay, do come eyou will enjoy it immensely.

Room Tip: Go for block six though all our ocean view and quite wonderful. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
18  Thank footlocker

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have mixed feelings after being a long time visitor to this resort when it was Beaches Sandy Bay. It has been beautifully updated, the rooms are gorgeous and the food is outstanding. Our favorite beach is still raked by hand daily but the water sports are no longer included in the "all inclusive". The Jamaican flavor is no longer evident, even though the staff do an outstanding job and provide excellent and friendly service. The resort has been upgraded to a high standard but, I'm not sure if it fits in with the super casual Negril vibe that we have come to love and look forward to.
If I had never been here before and had no previous experiences to compare it to, I would have been perfectly satisfied with our vacation . To be fair, there was still construction going on because they had not had their grand opening yet and the hotel was filled with stressed out management. I was not impressed with their attempts to sign us up for their returning guest program which is costly.
I would sum up our experience as if someone had taken your home and replaced everything in it but it's still your home and it takes some getting used to. I'm not certain if we will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the road as possible.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank MrsBicep
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Review Azul

We just arrived back from an outstanding vacation.
I would highly recommend this resort, and will be returning. We have stayed at one other Azul resort in Mexico in the past, so had a reasonable expectation of what to expect. This resort is 1.5 hours away from the airport, it is an interesting drive and you get to see some neat little towns. They drive very aggressive. So buckle up!

I very rarely leave a resort and feel 100 percent I would go back to the same place. This resort however, I know I will be returning. In my opinion they really have hit it out of the park. I am strongly considering the prestige membership, this gives room priority, huge discounts, access to the airport boutique lounges, and free transportation from the airport. ( this is what I am told by members). I have requested the information on the program.

Service - this is hands down the best resort I have stayed at, for personalized service. I am highly critical when I travel. The resort is not huge, the staff ( all staff... Cooks, grounds keepers, bar tenders, managers) all seem to know who you are and, try to really find out how you like you drinks and food prepared. They are amazing with kids. Our son arrived and he is 10 years old, they had lot's of activities planned and made it a special experience. Just an outstanding staff. The Jamaicans take a tremendous amount of pride in their jobs, regardless of their position. Please remember one thing from this review. They are paid about 140-160 dollars every 2 weeks, and work 6 days a week. The entertainment staff work 9-5 then 8-12 PM.... Be generous and tip your cleaning staff, bar staff and wait staff after every meal. A couple dollars is huge for them, and they deserve it. I think Canadians seem to recognize the importance of tipping more, but that may be my perception.

A special thanks to:

Paul-main bar
Michelle-kids club
Christopher-front desk
Raul- manager

Resort - we arrived on their soft opening so the resort was very quite (also in April). The pools are clean and new, the rooms are all very contemporary with very good quality mattresses. The resort is well laid out and most of the rooms have nice views. I loved not having to wait for towels, and be concerned about reserving places to sit also. They had lot's of availability. This could change in peak season, and as things ramp up after the grand opening.

Beach - The beach is very nice and has a great swim area. Watch out for stingrays, they don't bother you, but if you step on one by accident your vacation may be over. This is a rare occurrence and they usually swim away from you. We only saw 2 in 8 days. They will serve you drinks/food on the beach and the pools are very close to the beach. The ocean does not produce large waves in Negril, the water is calm, like a bay. You can walk the beach and not be bothered too much. You will see a couple craft stands set up.

Food- they have several places to eat, and the design and layout are all very contemporary and nice. Amazing dining, with close proximity to the rooms. They have 2 places with great air conditioning (Italian and Garfield's)
If you want an open air dining experience you have additional options. I despise eating at a Buffett, so Azul is a great place for people who enjoy a la carte. Portions are not huge, but are very satisfying. Coffee in the room is great, and the coffee bar in the lobby serves amazing lattes and Cappuccino's.

I hope to go back maybe in November !

OK....A few minor things, I think they could improve on, would be:

1) Steak quality / both restaurants that served steak, had average quality of steak. I normally always eat fish on vacation, but I know my wife and son would have liked more steak options and better cuts. The burger's were also average quality I found. ( I grind my own sirloin for burgers at home)

2) Dress Code / Try and turn more guests down, if they are not dressed appropriately. I know this could be difficult to do.

It is a shame when guests have no common sense, or respect for the GI experience. Most guests did have appropriate attire, but every night 2 or 3 idiots show up in T-shirts, jeans or sandals.

3) Chilled cold beer glasses. When drinking draft it is nice to have a glass come out of a fridge, or even freezer. Much like a hot meal on a hot plate, a cold beer in a cold glass is a must.

Again, amazing staff and a very well laid out and managed resort.

Thank you for our best family vacation ever.

The Walton's.

16  Thank Garbagefud
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My fiance and I decided to have our wedding in Negril June. We fell in love with the atmosphere and the cliffs. What we had not seen, however, was Seven Mile Beach. So when we went to Negril this past March to finalize our wedding plans, we decided to try something different and stay at Azul Sensatori. WE WERE CERTAINLY DISAPPOINTED! The staff at Azul was top notch, the food was amazing (the chef prepared a delicious lobster that we were more than happy to pay for), and a super fun beach party that had us dancing all night.

We were so impressed that we decided to have our rehearsal dinner there in May! Thank you for showing us a wonderful time :).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Ashley B
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This was our 7th Visit to Negril. My husband and I were ready to make our 1st family vacation to Negril with our 7 month old son. We looked into Beaches but ended up booking Azul at the urging of our travel agent. We booked before the resort was open and received a great price. We could not have been happier with the choice. We had a fantastic ground level Ocean View Family Suite. The room was large with a separate living room and two closets for storage. We used the mini bar and had coffee in our room every morning. The room was equipped with a bottle warmer, baby monitor, tiny child’s robe and they brought over the crib upon arrival. Large bathroom, comfy bed and loved hanging out on the cabana daybed on the patio.

We ate in all the restaurants as well as ordering room service several times and frequenting the coffee bar daily. Breakfast at the Palms was nice, they will make you anything. Our son enjoyed fresh made mini pancakes daily from Margaret and the omelets were delicious too! Nice selection of fresh fruit. One day they didn’t have bananas out, we inquired and sure enough they were delivered to us promptly. All of the staff at the Palms were great, especially Martina, Junior and Darren. We alternated lunch between the Grill and the Palms and I ate the best special Jamaican flavored pasta dishes made from Glenmoore there. The chicken tacos at Garfield’s were my favorite for dinner. The Palms was not serving al la carte dinner yet but we did get to see the menu and it looks great! Service at every dinner was so attentive, Carole and Fabian took care of us and the little guy many nights they were quick to wrap up and deliver our food to our room when the baby had had enough – talk about great service! We spent a lot of time at the swim up bar pool and the beach bar near our room. Christina, Wayde and Alee took such good care of us and our son, treating him like their own baby! They chopped him fresh fruit, played with him and filled his water and juice. We enjoyed a nice variety of drinks and appreciated the bar cleanliness and great service they all gave. When we relaxed on the beach and by the pool Kedian always brought us fresh drinks and a smile.

This resort is spread out nicely but not so big that it was a long walk from end to end. We played in the Azulitos splash park with the baby and will utilize the babysitting service when we return after meeting the staff and seeing how much fun other children were having there. The beach is amazing – clean, calm and big. I love the free use of the beach beds. Although the spa was not opened yet my husband and I both enjoyed several relaxing beach massages from Natasha. Besides the very large pool where the swim up bar and rooms are located there are 2 other pools on either end of the resort. The one near the lobby has a Jacuzzi and the other has the most amazing black tile I have ever seen and overlooks the ocean. There are many activities day and night and we were so happy to see our friend Skippy as part of the entertainment staff here. Kevan and Shelli spent a large part of our trip with us – playing with the baby and entertaining us with music, Jenga and dancing. I went to the Jamaican cooking demo which was fun and yummy! There are different shows each evening and a beach party on Friday which got rained out but they moved it inside.

I cannot say enough good things about this resort. Throughout the week members of management kept checking on us and asking what could be improved as they are tweaking things to get them just right for the opening. The answer is nothing – keep doing what you are doing, treat your employees like gold – they are incredible hardworking people who are making this resort exceptional. Remember this is Jamaica – not Mexico, the guests who come here want Jamaican flair. The level of service we received is second to none and that is what makes the higher price point of this resort worth it. In a week stay we did not encounter one staff member who was anything less than friendly. Our baby was treated like a king which made us happier than I can put in words. You can have the most beautiful resort out there but if your staff is not good you will not be successful. We plan to return to this resort with our son yearly so he can enjoy the caring Jamaican people and beautiful island as much as we do.

There was only 1 negative experience on this trip. I booked a photo session for our family with the photo desk in the lobby. We left the beach early that day and got all dressed for our sunset pictures with the baby at 6pm. We waited ½ and hour in the lobby and the photographer did not show up even though they had my name and room number. There was no one at the photo desk and the Azul front desk tried to call the company but got no answer. I was so disappointed, we missed an amazing sunset and I don’t have a nice professional picture of our 1st family vacation. Be warned that the photo and excursion desks in the lobby are not part of Azul, they are outside vendors and the resort has no control over them. This is not the resort’s fault but I recommend they take note and do what Sandals and Couples does and hire their own photographers for the resort.

We can't wait to return and see the finished product with the full opening.

Room Tip: Family suites are large.
12  Thank ItsAlwaysSunny
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Booked through website & Submitted all info including credit card info & received confirmation number. Went ahead & booked flights immediately after. Received email next day saying rooms are not available & website is not up to date and no rooms are available on or even in same month that I booked. No apology or effort to make things right! Had to cancel flights before I was charged. Is this the way to treat potential guests? Pathetic!!

Stayed: February 2014
14  Thank AZinTO
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for your recent comment concerning a future booking at our resort. We would like to speak with you personally concerning your cancelled reservation and confirm which 3rd party company this was booked with .

we urge you to contact us at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we can address this matter and resolve to your satisfaction

Best Regards

Andrew Cumming

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We had a terrific week at Azul Sensatori, Negril. The Hotel is lovely. The Beach stunning. The Staff was absolutely amazing. Friendly, attentive, warm. We had an Oceanview Family Loft Suite which would have been perfect for our family 5 years ago. It ended up being a little small for 2 parents and kids ranging in age from 13-20. Something WE need to realize. If our kids were "kids" it would have been fine. It had a king bed and attached bath. A living area with a pull out doubl bed and a loft bedroom with 2 double beds and attached bath. TV's in living area and bedrooms. The rooms have little storage-so it is difficult to unpack but they were nicely decorated, clean and comfortable.

The thing that really stood out for us at Azul Sensatori was the wonderful staff. The entertainment staff Shellian, Kevan and Stashane were amazing. They seemed to be everywhere, always making sure that guest needs were being met. There were daily activities and nightly entertainment. The nightly shows were great. All the bands were enjoyable. the Magician amazing and the fire spectacular....well, it was. Go and enjoy the Beach Party! Kevan and Shelli know how to nudge people to participate, but back off if the guest really isn't interested.

The wait staff at the restaurants and bartenders were also outstanding. Christina at the swim-up bar, Anieta at the upstairs bar were friendly and engaging and really good at their jobs. At the buffet restaurant Junior, Anthony, Dwight & Donovan among others were fabulous.

I've been at a lot of resorts where I felt the staff was competent and we were well taken care of--but none before where I felt like the staff were personal friends.

Our last beach vacation was at an all inclusive near Puerto vallerta, Mexico-which we enjoyed. The kids all voted enthusiastically to return to Jamaica rather than Mexico. Irie? Ya mon!

15  Thank Chrisei2014