“Great holiday, amazing hotel & staff sadly spoilt by thomson”

Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Ranked #13 of 81 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersSilver level
Livingston
“Great holiday, amazing hotel & staff sadly spoilt by thomson”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

On arrival after a long flight, terrible experience through customs and a bumpy transfer you final realise your in paradise. Greeted with a cold scented towel and a glass of sparkling wine. The view at reception out into the Caribbean Sea is breathtaking.
Pools are lovely, beach is like a postcard picture and sunsets amazed me everyday.
Staff work unbelievably hard to make your stay enjoyable, I'd love to mention every member we felt exceeded expectation but every staff member are just amazing and are a real pleasure to be around, management should be proud of such a great team from dining staff to reception and entertainment to cleaners I can't say enough about them, they made our holiday!
So only bad point I have to mention, I feel horrible for adding this negative comment about such a great holiday but feel I need to for future guests. Our problem was with the guest relations, we booked our trips with them. Felt like they weren't interested in us and more bothered about taking our money, I understand it's business and that's what it's all about but just the service wasn't great in my view. So we booked dolphins at a cost of 300usd not the cheapest trip but felt this would be an amazing experience, unfortunately the days leading up to the trip date my partner fell ill, not seriously ill but she felt she wouldn't enjoy the trip with the way she was feeling and didn't want to spoil a day so we decided to cancel and chill out instead. I thought we would maybe lose a small percentage of the trip fee for inconvenience ect. Which I prepared for but having given more than 24hrs notice that we couldn't attend I atleast expected a refund but we were told we would not get anything back at all. We did not go, we didn't use the service and they had more than enough time to cancel any busses ect. So no charges would have occurred
My advice don't be pressured and feel you need to book trips right away, book them the day before there's loads of spaces and they don't fill up quickly as stated by guest relations. A company like thomsons can't get away with treating paying customers like this.

Don't want to end on a negative so il just say to anyone planning a trip to the Caribbean, please try Jamaica and sensarori you will be blown away by the whole experience.

Happy holidays!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jasonkerr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Polish first
Leicester
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hotel - Nice greeting, cold drinks and canapés on arrival.
The first impression was lovely. The reception is open and overlooking the pool & sea.Our room was a two bedroom apartment in block 2000, that can sleep up to 6 people and was VERY big. 2 bedrooms. 2 bathrooms. Living area. Large plasma tv in each bedroom.Great sea views but the balcony was disappointing ! not private , just a table and chairs on the main walkway to your room. Maids were excellent. Room service excellent. This hotel is probably one of the nicest we have stayed in ( and we are well travelled) . 3rd time in Jamaica . The atmosphere is so relaxing. The staff in the resort were lovely and too many to name here !! Buffet restaurant excellent.The a la carte restaurants were all very nice, our favourite being the Italian , but all really complement each other and the varied large menus ensure you have plenty of choice if you stay for two weeks .The beaches and pools are really out of this world ! beach and water are to die for and the pools / pool bars never get too busy or rowdy .All in all had a wonderful time .Would definitely come back. Worth giving it a go!! P.s take mosquito repellent. You will need it and do not but the Thomson reps bands for $10 ours never worked.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view ....Avoid Block 2000 if you like a private balcony ! they are all shared.
13 Thank Lee H
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend from 03/07-17/07. We are a young couple. We originally booked with First Choice a holiday to Kenya, but because of the terrorist we had to change our booking.

I'm very hard to please and notice attention to detail. This is the best hotel that I've ever stayed at. I am recommending Sensatori to all my family! You cannot fault this hotel. It has everything you need. We arrived to champagne and wet flannels to cool us down. I felt very welcome and every member of the staff had a big welcoming smile. We were shortly taken to our room by a friendly member of FOH. Our luggage took longer than expected to arrive and the bell boy just walked out the door saying nothing and leaving the door wide open. I would guess because he got no tip?

The food was amazing! Even the buffet! Usually in hotels the food has no taste and is bland, this is what I find anyway (I've usually stayed at large scale hotels). Not many people went to Akee for breakfast, but I strongly recommend you do! It is so yummy! Try it once, if you don't like it then don't go again, but it's defiantly worth it! We went to Garfield's for lunch everyday and I would request a special vegetable wrap with goats cheese and the wedge salad. It was so good! We got one to one service with the host, she always remembered us and where we liked to sit and same with one of the waitresses who also served me in Akee for breakfast. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant and it is a favourite of many! I'm a fussy vegetarian and always ask for a special dish and I never felt to be a pain. The chef would always prepare something really tasty for me. So never hesitate to ask!

I didn't like the main cocktail menu, I found it too sweet. However, the cocktail menu in Nesta bar was amazing! I work in a bar making cocktail, but they beat all of them! The bartenders were all so friendly and welcoming.

My boyfriend played volley ball each day with guys on the beach (this is an organised event) which he really enjoyed. I feel they should have an event for girls though because you will notice when the volley ball is on because all the ladies are on their own on the beach. I heard the hotel is getting umbrellas on the beach, which will be really helpful because there isn't much shade. There are men selling things on the beach but I never felt pestered by them. If you show an interest they will come over if you don't then they leave you be. There are security men on the beach which makes you feel much safer. The sea is the most beautiful thing ever! Found some star fish! Crystal blue sea!

Entertainment was good and funny! Beach parties were a pain! It meant all the restaurants expect one was shut. But they were entertaining nights! think they should only have it once a week or open at least two a la carte restaurants.

Everything is decorated really well. I liked the coffee bar because of the smoothies! It's also nice how waiters take your drink order on the beach.

There is an adults only section so you can have peace and quite.

The bed was so comfy, best sleep i've ever had! Rooms are modern and clean and the maid's do a great job! Me and my boyfriend left valuables out on many occasions and they still remained there when we returned. This is how safe it is! Only issue we had was the timings of the maid, she could come at any time, one time she came at 9.50 and another at 4pm, times we needed to be in the room. However, in their defence, they spend about an hour cleaning each room to the best standard.

We did 3 excursions the community one, boat party with Dunns river falls, and a trip to see Appleton rum factory, black river falls and a river boat seeing the crocodiles. Enjoyed all but they are over priced so much! Especially the boat one! I wouldn't recommend that! The black river is so much better than Dunn's fall.

Good selection of TV in the room! And the gym is really good! Good music as well!

The Sensatori staff really do look after you and ensure you have the best experience possible! They all make you smile and laugh. They remember your name and make you feel like royalty

Negatives:
There's not many but these are a few I experienced. The manager who I think was Italian maybe? He always was walking around the hotel but never would say a hello to guests. It would just be nice for him to acknowledge his guests. On one night we waited 1 hour for two main courses in garfield's. We told this to the manager and he seemed to care and told us he would let us know tomorrow about the investigation, but he never got back to us. Felt let down there!

AVOID THOMSON
We had a terrible experience with Thomson while doing this, we were told we would get an upgrade as a gesture of good will then were charged for extra leg room causing us to be over drawn! We had to spend hours on the phone communicating with them, promises of being phoned back weren't fulfilled. They gave us a day to pay and threatened to cancel if we didn't pay in time, resulting to me taking even more time of work. They didn't seem to care how much were were messed around and it was a stressful experience! I thought this would all be over when we got to Jamaica, but nope. We requested premium seats with Collet the Thomson rep and she said to my boyfriend that they weren't ready but she would let us know as soon as they were released. We never heard anything back from her so we returned a week later and were told that they were all gone. There were not even any seats next to each other on the plane! Not one apology even though she could see how unhappy I was. She even admitted to her telling us she would let us know? So we had to sit alone on the way home! I am never booking with Thomson again because they lack in good customer service or any at all. They have stressed me out so much! And it is obvious by the reviews that Thomson are not being attentive or giving a monkeys about any of the other guests who stayed at Sensatori! We pay so much money for these holidays and the travel company should be giving outstanding customer service! Oh and we were miss sold the club mobay tickets for the airport, Collet told us that people had queued in immigration for over 4 hours. We left at 12.45 and our flight was at 4.00pm how would that of been possible? We couldn't relax in Mobay because we didn't have much time before our flight!

TEAM SENSATORI!
I will defiantly be returning to a Sensatori hotel, you must go there to understand my review and experience paradise. It's defiantly worth paying that bit extra to stay here because you will see how much difference it is. You get 5* food, service, accommodation, activities, atmosphere, everything. I can't describe how good the hotel is, honestly you have to experience it yourself. Sensatori I give you 5* ratings for everything on tripadvisor!

Room Tip: If you want a swim up room, directly contact the hotel to arrange this months in advance.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Jessknightt
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

After arriving on the Dreamliner which was fabulous, My husband and I visited this hotel for our honeymoon and we felt like we were in paradise. We were met on arrival at the impressive hotel lobby reception with Champagne, our bags were taken from us and delivered to our room. We Were escorted to our room where we found a bottle of Champagne waiting for us. The room itself was clean, refreshing and spacious. We got changed and went straight into the pool off our balcony and relaxed on our swim up bed in the pool which was extremely comfy. The food throughout our stay was perfection and the choice of cocktails and drinks were exceptional. The beach was clean with white sands and crystal clear see where we snorkelled with Stingrays and Starfish. The staff were welcoming, friendly and funny. We went to the Spa and both had a full body massage, our experience in the Spa was second to none. We had a romantic meal set up for us one evening on the beach which was lovely and intimate and our waiter Michael was superb, the food was amazing and the setting was perfect. We also had a Honeymoon breakfast in bed the following morning which was so special. We couldn't fault our stay. Real 5 star quality!

During our stay we did two excursions, the Cool Running and Horse riding. Cool Running's was rather a long way from the hotel, around three hour coach journey, when we got off the coach we went on a boat to do snorkelling. The snorkelling location was only 5 minuets away, then we left there to travel to the Dunn's River Falls which are well worth the visit. If we were to say anything we'd advise you to do the Bob Marley / Dunn's River Fall tour instead of Cool Running's due to the distance.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank Blondie1411
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We were sceptical of some of the reviews prior to arriving, so just took it in whilst on holiday.

Where do you start, on arrival we were greater with champagne and a cool towel to refresh, it was 7:30-8pm at night so helped settle you after the travelling.

The rooms were exceptionally clean, and kept that way all thru the stay, spacious and airy, we had a lovely sea view and balcony with a great half moon sofa to relax. Safe, mini bar etc we're all available as we're two European plugs which were handy for shavers and tooth brushes etc. the bed was huge in the deluxe rooms.

4 restaurants and good service at all times, the best of this all inclusive is the come and dine policy, you don't have to book, if it's full then you will receive a buzzer to tell you when your tables ready, so relax and enjoy your holiday. I have a food allergy and it was great that it was the first question asked and the chef helped either advise on what was on offer or make something fresh so be prepared to wait.

One comment we made to the hotel regarded the BBQ nights, there is only one other restaurant available on these nights which could be improved upon.

The beach is simply incredible, could not fault it, there are Bali beds and plenty of sun loungers, it's incredible but you get in to such a relaxed state that you forget time. Four pools help to cool you down when needed as the sea is warm but crystal clear.

We have just had a fantastic time and as you will have already read the staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, so ask anything and make most of your stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank George M
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Will start with thomson. Firstly we almost always use Thomson and have travelled many places with them including sensatori Egypt & sensatori Mexico. After booking this holiday( pre paid seats) and sea view room, we're sent an e mail telling us months after our booking that sea view room not available. I rang Thomson and after much haggling we were told that one was available funnily enough!!! Checked seating plan prior to flight to find our party of 3 were sat separately. Rang Thomson again to be told sorry but all the seats together had been taken!! To cut it short, we ended up getting seats together after haggling yet again. Poor standard.
Now to the hotel. Was greeted warmly with moist flannels, cold drinks and canapés. The first impression was lovely. The reception is open and overlooking the sea. Very beautiful. Our sea view room for 3 people was VERY big. 2 bedrooms. 2 bathrooms. Living area. Large plasma tv in each bedroom. Maids were excellent. Room service excellent.
This hotel is probably one of the nicest we have stayed in ( and we are well travelled) . 4th time in Jamaica . The atmosphere is infectious and so relaxing. The staff in the resort were lovely. A special hello to Omar on the beach. He made lovely designs on our beach cabana with fresh flowers laid. Taught him some magic tricks so if you seek him out ask him to try them out on you!!
Buffet restaurant excellent. We ate there for breakfast and lunch. Jerk station by the pool very disappointing. The a la carte restaurants were all nice, our favourite being the Italian. However I must mention sensatori Egypt and Mexico definitely have the better food.
Met Winston in the sea on his little boat selling shells. A lovely man, who will take you out on his boat for a little bit of Jamaican culture .
P.s take mosquito repellant. You will need it

Room Tip: Sea view room on second floor near gar fields beach restaurant perfect
6 Thank Biggreenie97423
wales
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We arrived on the 13 June for 14 nights The hotel and staff , outstanding . This hotel is a must to go to . It has a great setting on the beach . Don't forget to take a walk along the beach and visit doctor love it's a bit of fun. Sensatori jamacia you made our holiday , along with all the friends we met . We all had a great time . Thank you all . We will be back .

Room Tip: Upper floor for the views adult block
4 Thank jaws